Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

Alaskins

6 minutes ago, dfitzo53 said:

I don't see how you can say a spear isn't Native American imagery when the entire reason people want it retained is to have a connection to the old team imagery.

That's rough...Native Americans weren't only ones to ever use a spear or bow and arrows.  

I can see running away from anything that could be Native American, but I'm only okay with that if folks come after teams like the Chiefs or Braves.

Are we gonna wait until they do or just get ahead of this?  I don't trust Snyder with this at all now, deciding the future of the franchise like this when everyone wants to cut rope on him?  I'm not convinced he really wants to do this, just finally costing him money he doesn't want to lose.

2 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

That's rough...Native Americans weren't only ones to ever use a spear or bow and arrows.  

I can see running away from anything that could be Native American, but I'm only okay with that if folks come after teams like the Chiefs or Braves.

Are we gonna wait until they do or just get ahead of this?  I don't trust Snyder with this at all now, deciding the future of the franchise like this when everyone wants to cut rope on him?  I'm not convinced he really wants to do this, just finally costing him money he doesn't want to lose.

I'm not saying NAs were the only people ever to use spears, but they certainly were in any reasonable capacity on this continent.

Any attempt to claim keeping the spear logo isn't trying to maintain a connection to ideas of Native Americans is intellectually dishonest at best.

24 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Word on the street is Globtrotters want to sell us the Washington Generals name

wouldn't that just be perfect, talk about the last full blown kick in the balls.

we've been playing like them for the last 25 years and now we'll be named after them.

not to mention it's just an awful name.

that would almost certainly be the final nail in my coffin. 

7 minutes ago, dfitzo53 said:

I'm not saying NAs were the only people ever to use spears, but they certainly were in any reasonable capacity on this continent.

As was nearly every human being until better technology was invented.

7 minutes ago, dfitzo53 said:

Any attempt to claim keeping the spear logo isn't trying to maintain a connection to ideas of Native Americans is intellectually dishonest at best.

This is fair in this particular case because it was already out out there they wanted to.  I thought the problem was the name and logo, if it's having anything to do with Native Americans at all, are we just playing it safe versus trying not to offend anyone anymore?

I wish there was a way the franchise could put out a feeler, like names leading in the conversation or even the specific plan to go Washington Warriors and stop using the current logo.

I'm just...what exactly are we doing here? Trying not to offend Native Americans anymore or completely dissociating ourselves from them so there's no way to offend them?  I mean, if we go military themed, who exactly was used to basically remove them from the Western Hemisphere again?

Spoiler

Answer: Military

28 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I don't get it, aren't they still pretty close to being a local team for you?  Washington is closer to Richmond then Charlotte is.

I grew up in DC.  I lived there for half my life.  I grew up being the kid walking around in a Terry Allen jersey being picked on by the 90s DMV cowboy kids.  Through everything I’ve stuck with them because it was ingrained in my family and as result me.  If we completely wipe things clean I’ll just be done.   I don’t know I’d have a team again but I wouldn’t waste my life rooting for a team that wasn’t mine anymore.  No different than if any DC team did that.  There’s still a part of me that is soft for the O’s because we didn’t have the Nats but I’m Nats through and though. 

If not only the name, but the logo and colors are changed before the season, I hope there is no 2020 season due to concerns over Covid-19. Not that I would any way wish for any cases or outbreaks but I hope the concern is still there and nobody plays NFL football if that were to happen and blindside this into reality for our fans.

Let's see all the slack-tivist football fans (who more than likely have never donated a dime to Native causes) be deprived of their luxury with the current reality of life and death we are still facing.

Personally, I'm sure I would still watch the NFL but I also wouldn't give a **** if it were cancelled and I would cackle inside at the hundreds of hours that would be need to be filled by pampered clowns who claim to understand suffering from wiki articles and Facebook. Maybe with all the downtime, they can even create some positivity like the Aunt Jemima College Foundation, or the Uncle Ben Cares Children Initiative. Or even give a couple dolla to a Native single mom..

1 minute ago, RichmondRedskin88 said:

I grew up in DC.  I lived there for half my life.  I grew up being the kid walking around in a Terry Allen jersey being picked on by the 90s DMV cowboy kids.  Through everything I’ve stuck with them because it was ingrained in my family and as result me.  If we completely wipe things clean I’ll just be done.   I don’t know I’d have a team again but I wouldn’t waste my life rooting for a team that wasn’t mine anymore.  No different than if any DC team did that.  There’s still a part of me that is soft for the O’s because we didn’t have the Nats but I’m Nats through and though. 

I still dont get it, and I had deal with the double whammy of Cowboys fans telling me my team name was racist as a kid after embarrasing us on national tv as well, same as you. It was like clockwork, impossible to defend them no matter what I picked up to help me from extremeskins.

But if you from the area, that's still the hometown team no matter what they are called.  It's not a clean slate if they are still in DC area with the trophies the franchise already won. When they win another one, that parade is still gonna be in DC, that has to matter more then the name.

Our memories should be more from the team then the name, imo.  Its jus a different kind of hell expecting kids to put up with what we put up with wearing the jersey anyway on Mondays, we owe it to next generation of fans to not force them to be on defense all the time from stuff that has nothing to do with football.

Otherwise they might as well move the team to London because the fan base is going to become extinct. Worth it?

2 hours ago, CRobi21 said:

Bezos gonna hit Dan's pockets. Needs to take his job next.

Bezos buying this team is one of the few ways I can see us receiving even MORE hate, even if the team is actually better (and I have no doubt it would be). That's partly a function of it being Bezos specifically but is also probably true of any non-random billionaire at this point in time, so maybe it's not a real consideration. Anyone who hates Bezos enough to hate on the team for it probably (understandably) dislikes all billionaires, it's just that Bezos in particular as the biggest, most recognizable, and arguably worst of the bunch ALWAYS has the spotlight on him. 

^^^^ Dirt. So he created a foundation just to shut people up about the name and then as soon as they did he did nothing. What a dirt ball 

Past that.....y’all ever notice how the people complaining about PC culture and how the name is only changing because of hurt feelings.....wax on and on about all their feelings and how hurt they would be if the name changed lol. It’s haha funny to me. 

58 minutes ago, TrancesWithWolves said:

Unfortunately for us the one thing Dan seems to love above everything else is being the owner of the Redskins.  They are his precious Khartoum.

Well he won't be for long with the name change. Though I doubt his stubborness goes with the name.

2 hours ago, Kosher Ham said:

I don't think most of you folks appreciate how hard Dan has tried to right the ship. 

I find it rather embarrassing that so many of you would prefer him to be gone. 

Come on really? Synder is an awful owner and has not been Superbowl contenders since Synder brought the team and Synder has a 142-193-1 record as owner and if Synder is gone, the culture will change and it will change into winners

1 hour ago, Stefanskins said:

I root for the Redskins...if I rooted for players I woulda followed Kirk to Minnesota or Monk to the jets...I don’t know how I woulda felt if they left Washington and became the Tennessee redskins...but I probably would not have followed them as a fan...I dunno what that means about my fandom though...just really sad and confused 

Yeah, but you root for the Washington football team and the players that are on it, right?

2 minutes ago, KWilliamsAWinfield said:

Come on really? Synder is an awful owner and has not been Superbowl contenders since Synder brought the team and Synder has a 142-193-1 record as owner and if Synder is gone, the culture will change and it will change into winners

I don't recall him ever coaching or playing on Sundays. Hmmm.

I recall him keeping tickets priced low for years. I recall him bringing back one of the greatest coaches of all time. Bringing in all the players that the fan base clamored for, and that's just a short list, I could easily go on. 

5 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

I recall him keeping tickets priced low for years. I recall him bringing back one of the greatest coaches of all time. Bringing in all the players that the fan base clamored for, and that's just a short list, I could easily go on. 

I recall him hiring awful coaches like Jim Zorn which does not help 

2 hours ago, Kosher Ham said:

I don't think most of you folks appreciate how hard Dan has tried to right the ship. 

I find it rather embarrassing that so many of you would prefer him to be gone. 

11 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

You cannot possibly be for real, you're trying to get a rise out of people bc you're butthurt, right? 

12 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Archived