Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

Alaskins

Yeah, COWBOY hats and COWBOY boots are not called that if a person is wearing Turquoise.   That's true.

How do you know she has cowboy boots on?    I don't think that's a cowboy hat either.   Similar in shape, but I've never seen a Cowboy hat with that big emblem sewn in the front.  That's almost always a Native American thing.    I'm shocked you are going this route.  Aren't you from New Mexico?  Isn't this fashion everywhere down there?

As a last resort:

Federally register the team as Washington Football ( or something similar )

Keep the logo, which still has Federal protection

( and ) The fans continue to call the team The Redskins

Washington Football Club. Keep the logo, colors and song. They could sell a bunch of DCFC logoed stuff if they felt they needed new gear. They could even just play the instrumental version of the song. We all know what the name is. I bet a bunch of the media would still call them Redskins by accident.

Interesting.  

Here is a pic of Amanda Kay.   Do you think that White People might feel offended by her because she is dressed like a Cowboy?

Not attacking you, don't want you to think I am.   I'm just trying to understand.

84437030.jpg

I don't get it guys.

A cowboy is a profession, not an ethnic group.  Cowboys came in all kinds of races, if I'm not mistaken.  So why would white people be offended?    

But even then, I'd bet much of that outfit is Native American or Mexican in origin to begin with. 

I'm LOYAL to the team not the name. We could be called the Washington Nuttie Buddies for all I care.

I feel PRIDE when we win more often than we lose. Playoffs would be nice.

Ideally we can keep the logo and accept a more respectful name selected by Native Americans and the fans ( with no input from our idiotic FO)

This should end all debate on the matter ;-)

How do you know she has cowboy boots on?    I don't think that's a cowboy hat either.   Similar in shape, but I've never seen a Cowboy hat with that big emblem sewn in the front.  That's almost always a Native American thing.    I'm shocked you are going this route.  Aren't you from New Mexico?  Isn't this fashion everywhere down there?

I think she has Cowboy Boots on because you can see them.   What kind of hat do you think she has on?  The emblem isn't sewn on.  It's a hat band.  Where are you from?

I'm shocked your questioning these things when clearly, you have no experience with this.  

Yes, I am from New Mexico and I am actually an 8th Apache, my Grandmother was half.   An 8th is not a lot but the point I'm trying to get across is that it's not like that.   We don't look at a person who is dressed in a certain way and get offended about things like this.   It's silly.  Why the hell would you waste your time getting all bent over something like this.   

There is no Malice Intent.   It's just a guy dressed up to go to a ball game.   It's just a women dressed up for the Rodeo.   It's no big deal. 

Cuz if you're gonna change it, why change it to anything associated with NAs?

They were called the Boston Braves at one point and apparently everyone seems cool with the Atlanta Braves.

But there is one person in Idaho who objects!!!

Yeah... me. If they were to seriously do something like that, I'd rather see a red football with spikes coming out of it or something then a potato. And for for the record going with the Warriors, Natives, True Americans would be about as lame as ****. 

A cowboy is a profession, not an ethnic group.  Cowboys came in all kinds of races, if I'm not mistaken.  So why would white people be offended?    

A Redskin is also a profession.   The 1st Cowboys were Hispanics.   Vaqueros, should they be offended by the Pic then?  Your third question, you are starting to come around.    They shouldn't, just like Native Americans or special interest groups should not find the Washington Redskins as Offensive.   There is no Negative Intent. 

If we end up changing the name, I hope we invent a new word called the "DCREDSKINS" which we define as "a football team that honors native americans.  It will be our own original word and we can say it means anything we want it to mean... and when our team name is spoken, it will sound like "Washington DC Redskins".  Logo and everything else remains the same.

How about Pink Unicorns?

For GHH.

/joke.

We could be the Sexy Rexys, in honor of our greatest quarterback to date.

Cuz if you're gonna change it, why change it to anything associated with NAs?

Because then you can keep the logo, which isn't under fire. Plus, we have history with the name.

I'd start a fan petition for a change to the Braves to send to Snyder, but I'm too lazy. Is there already one out there I can sign?

I hate this and hope it never changes. I'd compromise though and go back to the script R helmet or something new that's similar, remove all other NA imagery/themes.

Keep the name Redskins. It refers to us, because the football team wears Red(burgundy).

Without any reference to native Americans, would it still be offensive?

I think the whole argument is pretty silly. Context matters. Definitions can change too.

Look at recent history with the word f-a-g. Wasn't originally defined as a slur or had any negative meaning behind it...until it did for years and became offensive. Now, nobody in their right mind would call a homosexual that, and rightfully so.

Redskins might be the exact opposite of that. Even if you concede( which I don't) that the word started at as a slur or was temporarily used as a slur, the only context that the word is relevant to in today's society is the NFL football team in Washington DC.

Everybody has to be offended by something now...

Lol the heads on ESPN podcast Michael Smith and Jemele Hill today said that the mascot was racist too

So now Chief Zee is racist, gotcha

He's not racist 

YOU GOTTA CHANGE THE TEAM NAME IT'S RACIST YOU GOTTA GET RID OF THE RACIST MASCOT

Hohw is Chief Zee racist

How is the logo racist

If we change the name change it to Blackhawks or Skins 

That simple

You have Cleveland Indians and Chicago Blackhawks and the HUBBUB has died down there so why not change the name to something similar 

The writing is on the wall.

I agree. I have stood with the team on this, but at this point it's just a matter of time. And, to be clear, this is on Snyder and the organization. They could have gotten ahead of this a long time ago but instead waited way too long and never presented compelling arguments. For example, I said years ago that the Redskins should take the lead on Native American issues and become a force for good in that community. But by the time we did it, the public outcry was so strong that Snyder's effort looked paltry and ridiculously self-serving. 

Big Elk, 4 February 1822 

Speech by Big Elk to President James Monroe in the White House, as printed in the Daily 

National Intelligencer (Washington, 16 February 1822). Translated from Omaha into English by 

William Rodgers. 

“My Great Father: 

“Look at me—look at me, my father, my hands are unstained with your blood—my people 

have never struck the whites, and the whites have never struck them. It is not the case with other 

red skins. M

Archived