Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

Alaskins

From the article------

"If the Democratic Party was covered the way the Redskins are, every story would begin by wondering at how, despite a really bad start of supporting slavery and segregation, African-Americans came around to the Democratic Party. And that would be fair because even in their worst season, the Redskins have killed fewer people than the Democratic Party."

----------------------------------

Now that was funny. And I'm an independent.

Gotta post one more nicely made point from the article-

"The white liberal sportswriters chasing after the Redskins have no interest in the problems of Native Americans. They care only about beating another phantom enemy that they created in order to give their politically correct crusades meaning.

They don’t care about what Ray Halbritter is doing to his own people. They are not interested in what people, including the black fans of the Redskins and the chiefs who like the Redskins, think; they are only interested in getting their way.

The Battle of the Redskins isn’t about racism. It’s about power."

---------------------------

This is one of the best articles on the name I've read.

Daniel Greenfield is crossing the line from helping to "thanks, now please just shut up"

Its more than a little insulting when a guy like Greenfield decides to paint minorities that support democrats (which would be most of them) as either idiots or willing lap dogs seeking a nice pat on the head. He claims that liberals only have one use for minorities... while the sitting President is black.

If that becomes the voice of keeping the name, I jump ship immediately.

If someone already posted this, sorry, not trying to repost. I just found this interesting to this subject. This thread is flowing pretty quick tonight.

http://on.wtvr.me/kgCdwox

Tribute, not a slur, Mr. Costas

Great link , warskins.

I liked this quote-

"Walt “Red Hawk” Brown, chief of Virginia’s Cheroenhaka Nottoway Tribe, says he embraces Native American symbols and words being incorporated into this country’s social fabric and doesn’t find the term “Redskins” offensive.

“It doesn’t refer to me as a native person,” Brown says, “It refers to the players.”

Daniel Greenfield is crossing the line from helping to "thanks, now please just shut up"

Its more than a little insulting when a guy like Greenfield decides to paint minorities that support democrats (which would be most of them) as either idiots or willing lap dogs seeking a nice pat on the head. He claims that liberals only have one use for minorities... while the sitting President is black.

If that becomes the voice of keeping the name, I jump ship immediately.

That's the second time tonight we seem to see different things in the same words.

Did you see my last reply to you?

Again, sorry if someone has already brought this up before, I'm still back on page 4 reading trying to catch up. To me this whole name change is like the Borg from Star Trek Next Generation. Simply assimilate every culture you run into, make them part of your population, but take away everything of their culture and self identity. If you really want to take up a cause, how about Federal recognition of those 11 tribes in Virginia. How about some much needed funds to raise the plight of reservations across this country. 

If you truly want to help Native Americans, than help them, not start some PC BS to make yourself look good. You are only making yourself look ignorant, IMHO.

HTTR, Forever.

Honestly, des, I don't see an answer to my question in your previous post.

So I'll ask- do I listen to the ones with red skin who say they love the name? Or the ones who say its a slur?

What I'm saying is that the current campaign against the skins is working to drive the number of people that find it offensive up. Thus not only arguing that it is offensive, but making it so by convincing people that it is.

That's the second time tonight we seem to see different things in the same words.

Did you see my last reply to you?

You can't argue that liberals only have one use for minorities without implying that minorities are too stupid to see that they are being used.

What I'm saying is that the current campaign against the skins is working to drive the number of people that find it offensive up. Thus not only that it is offensive, but making it so.

Because this subject only becomes relevant when the skins do well, ie last year not this one. This is all driven by the Media. Why do I know this? Look at the last time this happened...1991.... Redskins win a Super Bowl and stir up controversy about this. 

For all of those who want a name change to help out all of those PC people, how about changing the name of every team in the NFL, because everyone can be offended by every team in the NFL.

I have not searched this thread for a post with the same recommendation I am about to make, so forgive me for any redundancy.

I propose that if a name change comes to fruition (after all efforts to resist have been exhausted), that Daniel Snyder choose the true name of a tribe that was indigenous to the Chesapeake area. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Native_American_tribes_in_Maryland

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_American_tribes_in_Virginia

I think it's the best scenario for all involved and not a soul could dispute the integrity. The bonus is that the team's theme remains, the uniform goes unchanged, and the city steps up it's tribute to the region with honest recognition of it's history and native people. I also think (hope?) the fan base would willingly support this effort. 

I think Iroquois or Shawnee would be really nice but the organization could choose from quite a bountiful list of respectable nations. 

Again, redskin is used to describe a certain race based off war paint used and not actual skin color. That is why I say who cares if there are some offended. There are people that don't like to be called brown people but don't see an uproar over the browns. Why? Because it wasn't originated off an actual skin color

This whole controversy has me thinking.., a bit of introspection, if you will... "What do we do as the Washington redskins nation to benefit or help Native Americans?"

I honestly don't know.

But... We number in the millions and can potentially make things happen quickly if we work together. Why don't we help the tribes in VA get Federal recognition? Is that something we could do? Is that something we should do?

If anything positive comes from this, it would be great for us to choose what we want to do rather than having someone tell us what we must do.

Again, redskin is used to describe a certain race based off war paint used and not actual skin color. That is why I say who cares if there are some offended. There are people that don't like to be called brown people but don't see an uproar over the browns. Why? Because it wasn't originated off an actual skin color

So true.

In my country I'm a white guy, in USA, Canada or Alaska I'm brown and I don't mind to be brown or red, my skin color is irrelevant.

If this topic is about race, the racist people always find ways to complain and the most dangerous thing, they always will find ways to spread the fire. 

It's about war paint jezz!!!!!

This whole controversy has me thinking.., a bit of introspection, if you will... "What do we do as the Washington redskins nation to benefit or help Native Americans?"

I honestly don't know.

But... We number in the millions and can potentially make things happen quickly if we work together. Why don't we help the tribes in VA get Federal recognition? Is that something we could do? Is that something we should do?

If anything positive comes from this, it would be great for us to choose what we want to do rather than having someone tell us what we must do.

+1

Believe me bro if I can have the chance to help those tribes I will do it in matter of seconds.

Question: is Danny giving any financial support for any Native American tribes?

I'm talking with a friend of mine who is married to a Native American woman who's father is a tribal leader in Canada. For them most of the problem with mascots is about cultural appropriation etc. He asked if the organization was doing anything to help regional tribes. Personally, I think it would be really good, not to buy off the tribe but to truly bring assistance to tribal communities.

BTW, he and his wife both agree that this is a smokescreen controversy to cover up the oil pipeline.

Not sure what that pic means, but their family and tribe are very involved in First Nation issues and environmental advocacy. We had a long discussion last night on facebook after I posted the Red Mesa basketball picture. While they personally would vote for a name change they would not "die on that hill" since there are so many issues that actually affect people's lives that need to be addressed. They were very receptive to the Annenberg study and the Inuit tribal leader's testimony that is listed on Redskins.com.

So while they don't like the appropriation of native imagery for sports and costumes etc, this isn't something they're going to make an issue out of in their work. BTW, they live in Canada and are dealing first hand with the land grab for the pipeline among many other pressing issues in the daily lives of the native people they serve.

Not sure what that pic means, but their family and tribe are very involved in First Nation issues and environmental advocacy. We had a long discussion last night on facebook after I posted the Red Mesa basketball picture. While they personally would vote for a name change they would not "die on that hill" since there are so many issues that actually affect people's lives that need to be addressed. They were very receptive to the Annenberg study and the Inuit tribal leader's testimony that is listed on Redskins.com.

So while they don't like the appropriation of native imagery for sports and costumes etc, this isn't something they're going to make an issue out of in their work. BTW, they live in Canada and are dealing first hand with the land grab for the pipeline among many other pressing issues in the daily lives of the native people they serve.

its from 'there will be blood'. incredible daniel day lewis movie about a greedy oil prospector trying to build a pipeline. i highly recommend it. 

anyway, good info, asf.

As of this morning, I understand the Redskins will be dropping their name.  The name "Washington" has an excessive amount of negative stigmas associated with it (specifically in politcal world); thus it has become offensive to the Americans everywhere.

;)

This about the 5 millionth time I've heard this.  So please, keep posting it.

When I heard that Bob Costas was going to "speak" about the Redskins' nickname controversy at halftime of the Dallas game, I turned to my girlfriend and said sarcastically, "Well, this should be edifying."  And Costas did not "disappoint."  :rolleyes:

<great stuff cut for space>

And so it goes.  On and on and on.  Where's the index-finger-"gun"-to-the-head smiley when you need it?

The most ridiculous part of his whole 'outrage' is that he won't even mention the real problem going on with the NFL - the concussion issue.  Of course, the NFL generates lots of $$$ for NBC, so costas won't mumble a bad word about the league and its problems, instead just grandstanding on an issue that he (a) knows little about and (B) fits nicely with his overall PC attitude.

As a life long Cowboy fan, I set up an account here to urge all of you Redskin fans to Fight to keep your team name.   Do not let the PC crowd rob you of your tradition... Enough is enough.  The Redskins are a private enterprise and the name should be up to ownership with the fans support.  Tell these people including the President hands-off your team.   Good Luck and best wishes from Dallas.

Archived