• Blog Entries

• By TK in ES Coverage
      The Bill Callahan era began here at the Hard Rock Stadium in Miami. For the first quarter it was really,really bad football being played by both teams. 
      The Redskins were determined to establish the Run game. The First Quarter all they established was that they still couldn’t run. Or pass. Or do much of anything. 

It wasn’t until the 2nd Quarter that Peterson was able to start ripping the worst Run D in the League for chunks of 18 & 24 yards. The Skins managed to score a TD with a 25 yard pass to Scary Terry McLaurin. 

The Dolphins would open the Second Half only managing five plays before the Redskins would get the ball punted back to them. They would run a balanced run/pass attack of six plays for 70 yards in 1:25 ending in McLaurin’s second touchdown of the day. The Defense would then get a turnover allowing the Offense to get to Field Goal range and add another 3 points to make the score 17-3. 

To open the Fourth Quarter, Hopkins would miss a 55 yard Field Goal, leaving the score at 17-3.  After being sacked five times, the Dolphins would pull their own switcharoo at QB and go to Ryan “Neckbeard” Fitzpatrick which resulted in a touchdown drive for them, making it 17-10. They went for & recovered the Onside Kick. They also managed to not score any points after that. The Dolphins would find theirselves with ball at the 2:00 Warning. Fitzpatrick would take them on a 9 play 75 yard touchdown drive with six seconds remaining on the clock. Miami went for the win with the 2 Point Conversion and failed. The Redskins would recover the onside kick by Miami and Keenum took a knee to get the Redskins their first win of the season. 
Alaskins

The Official ES Redskins Name Change Thread---All Things Related to Changing the Team's Name Go Here

Comparing the Wizards to the Redskins is laughable.

As far as the Nationals/Orioles, your heart is with the Orioles. I grew up watching the Orioles but never bought any Orioles stuff and my heart wasn't with the Orioles. I consider myself a Nats fan and own jerseys and other stuff. Totally different argument.

In DC Redskins nation is bigger than probably all of the other sports combined in terms of fans. New game gear would run off the shelves.

I agree that new gear would run off the shelve but current gear isn't having any problems either. The debate to me is really how much MORE money would Snyder make?

Umm new gear would not run off the shelves.  In fact, all redskins gear will get sold out first.

If there is one thing that people have grown up with, it is the Redskins.  It will take years for people to buy the new gear and then a few years later, people will wear redskins as retro gear. 

Comparing the Wizards to the Redskins is laughable.

If the Wizards start winning I think you'll see a lot more Wizards gear around the DC area, especially now that the colors are good. I have one of those generic "Washington Basketball" NBA t-shirts. I also think the Wizards ball logo is absolutely fantastic.

washington-wizards-ball-logo_color_3.jpg

If they had more stuff that just had that on it I'd probably have more Wizards gear.  The Redskins would likely not be dumb enough to change to a name as bad as the Wizards and even worse adopt a cringe worthy logo this bad:

wizards_logo_detail.gif

The closer you look the worse it gets.   

Edited by Destino

What's really funny about the Wizards name?

Jesse Jackson protested it as offensive...because of references to take Grand Wizard of the KKK.

I'm not a big fan of the name Warriors but, as far as marketing, I think there could be a lot of cool stuff done. Warriors is so ambiguous. They could have one base logo and use different themes or logos to honor branches of our Armed forces throughout the season. They could even branch it out further into Veterans, POW/MIAs, National Guard, Police, and etc. and etc. The possibilities are limitless and they might even gain a whole new slew of fans.They'd be selling all sorts of different stuff with logos catered to different people, and also to collector types who want one of everything. I think we could keep the colors with this, which matters to most fans I think.

I don't support the name change but if it comes to pass I hope there is a lot of fan input and forethought put into it. I think I like Washington FC the best out of what I've seen suggested. I've seen Freedom mentioned, what about Freemen?...or Freeman, or however you would spell it. Unless it's offensive to women, ...someone please tell me this would not be offensive to women.

If they wanted to go a totally different direction, I think Copperheads could also be cool -indigenous species and mean little ****s. There's no teams with snakes as mascots in the league. Rename Redskins Road Copperhead Road and prepare to hear that song until your ears bleed. The uniforms could be crazy with how far that technology has come. Pierre Garcon's mouthpiece would be scarier.

I dunno, just a couple ideas. 

If they wanted to go a totally different direction, I think Copperheads could also be cool...

"Copperheads" was a derisive name given to anti-war Democrats during the Civil War. Can't have large secgments of the country (Democrats, anti-war people, etc. Pick your poison on this one) offended by a nickname, so sorry man, but Copperheads is right out.

"Copperheads" was a derisive name given to anti-war Democrats during the Civil War. Can't have large secgments of the country (Democrats, anti-war people, etc. Pick your poison on this one) offended by a nickname, so sorry man, but Copperheads is right out.

Cottonmouths then, unless that offends people who smoke weed, of course. 

• Like 1

So PETA is now mocking us with an old stolen Tony Kornheiser joke? I was looking forward to this season! I didn't expect 1-3 and this crap.

Just give me a win at Dallas, at least let me have that.

• Like 4

So PETA is now mocking us with an old stolen Tony Kornheiser joke? I was looking forward to this season! I didn't expect 1-3 and this crap.

Just give me a win at Dallas, at least let me have that.

Yeah. We're 1-3 but for some reason it feels a lot worse than that, what with the Shanny/Robert soap opera, and this stuff. 

Edited by Mr. Sinister

My wife wanted to go to the Ghengis Grill last night for dinner. I looked at the coupon where they were advertising "conquest specials." I shut the menu in anger and called UnWise Mike to complain. Still waiting for response. SOB....

• Like 2

Yeah. We're 1-3 but for some reason it feels a lot worse than that, what with the Shanny/Robert soap opera, and this stuff. 

and don't forget the collusion penalty. 

• Like 2

And the common theme is...  both of these "issues" are complete bull**** media-driven nonsense.

~ugh

Edited by Bang
  • Like 2

Just realized that Bill Simmons has decided to call the Redskins the D.C. Daceys. It was already questionable letting him talk during NBA broadcasts. But now this? He's dead to me. God i hate this pc crap that our country has become. Isnt it hard enough being a DC fan what with the perpectual suck? Capitals, Redskins, Bullets... sigh.

This entire issue makes me want to crawl into a hole and die.

If the name changes, I hope I'm dead when it happens, because I don't want to live in a world where such a thing is necessary. 

This may be the last bastion of a seriously passionate issue I have left in the tank to defend. You may see me emptying my bank account and holding picket signs for this one - whatever it takes. 

I'll go down screaming and kicking.

http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/2013/10/12/5-reasons-ncais-report-says-redskins-racist-and-ugly-word-151717

1.   In 1932, Walter O. Gutlohn’s animated cartoon short of Tom and Jerry titledRedskin Blues tells the story of the main characters being attacked by stereotypical 'savage' Indians, only to be rescued by the US Army. AsNPR reported on the context of the team namein relation to this cartoon, “Just a year after that stereotype-laden Tom and Jerry cartoon was released, Boston Braves owner George Preston Marshall decided in 1933 to change the franchise's name from the Braves (another name with a racial history) to the Redskins.”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcJjSk1HKeg (Tom & Jerry Cartoon - Redskin Blues from 1932 when we were still the Braves).  Also learned that Tom & Jerry weren't always a mouse and cat. :P

Interesting to read a take on our name from a Native perspective.  There are more articles/editorials about the issue on this site.  I wouldn't suggest this represents all natives but it's pretty strong stuff. 

As an aside, researching native opinions (at least those that are available online) I also ran across a lot of references to the Whiteclay, Nebraska controversy. Worth checking out. 

Edited by KAOSkins

So when is the heat going to come down on the Kansas City Chiefs?  Because this has moved passed the name. Its now about the entire club branding itself after a group of people. So.....why arent the Chiefs getting any of this. The Vikings should be questioned as well. 

And now the Red Cloud Indian School is washing it's hands of all things Redskins after Snyder's reference this week.

I'm surprised Danny's new team of PR lawyers didn't clear this w/ the school before name dropping.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/indian-school-officials-raise-questions-about-dan-snyders-account-of-redskins-emblem/2013/10/12/6716a17e-32b9-11e3-8627-c5d7de0a046b_story.html

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/letter-from-red-cloud-indian-school-on-the-washington-redskins-name/2013/10/11/e24044ba-32bc-11e3-8627-c5d7de0a046b_story.html

They have been protesting the Chiefs for as long as they've protested us,, without about the same amount of support.

You don't hear much about it because every week it's 4 or 5 people with signs, just like here.

~Bang

The Washington Warthogs, with a couple A-10 Warthogs letting their miniguns loose as our logo. It is a jet, and NY already has the Jets, but one can dream. Has "hogs" in the name!

The Washington Pioneers, if we wanted to do a complete 180.

To me, Warriors is so generic, it reminds me of the obscure Golden State Warriors. It has a nice ring to it though, would replace Redskins relatively well. Better than Braves, IMO. There's gotta be a specific animal or people that we could be named after. The Washington Panhandlers?

To me, Warriors is so generic, it reminds me of the obscure Golden State Warriors.

Obscure?

wMwCdKF.gif

Steph Curry didn't do his crazy dance for you to refer to his team as obscure.

Edited by Destino