Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

Alaskins

Matt Ackland @mattackland 54m

Principal at Wilson High School plans to start a discussion with students about banning Redskins clothing.

Retweeted by Dan Steinberg

Matt Ackland @mattackland 53m

He said a student came to him saying she was offended. Mayor told him it might be a good discussion to be had.

Retweeted by Dan Steinberg

lmao I'm starting to dislike people more and more everyday.  What a bunch of pansies we've all become...

You know, maybe something good will come of the whole Redskins nickname controversy. Maybe all the people who are so up in arms over the nickname will continue their fight for justice for Native Americans and the appalling conditions under which many of them still live. Maybe, once the name is changed, these writers and politicians will focus their efforts on improving the lives of a people who have suffered unspeakable atrocities for centuries. Maybe, instead of patting themselves on the back and go back to forgetting they exist, they will be at the vanguard of a social and economic renaissance in the Native American community.

Then again, maybe I'll hit the Powerball and meet Pope Francis tonight, too.

(This may look familiar to the folks with which I'm connected on Facebook)

lmao I'm starting to dislike people more and more everyday.  What a bunch of pansies we've all become...

You'll love this then...from August

http://mynorthwest.com/76/2326254/Brown-bag-and-citizen-too-offensive-for-use-in-Seattle

Can we please get an asterisk in the words citizen and brown bag on this message board so I never again have to see these horrible words? My delicate sensibilities just can't take it.

You'll love this then...from August

http://mynorthwest.com/76/2326254/Brown-bag-and-citizen-too-offensive-for-use-in-Seattle

Can we please get an asterisk in the words citizen and brown bag on this message board so I never again have to see these horrible words? My delicate sensibilities just can't take it.

What will eventually happen is we'll go back to the caveman days where all we can do is grunt to communicate so we don't offend someone....

I've always said IF we had to change the name, I think it would be to something that represents DC. Warriors wouldn't be bad if you tie it to the military. Could go Generals, Federals (the old USFL team), Senators (although prolly best not to be associated with Congress right now), etc. I also thought it would be cool to go with Red, White, and Blue colors to match the rest of the city teams, but with the Giants already being red, white, and blue it would be kinda strange to have 2 teams in the same division with the same colors.

We could go Washington Calvary since apparently Harjo and Halbritter and their media buddies take no issue with Buffalo Bills, Cowboys, 49ers, Sooners, and other names that actually do symbolize an era of expansion that lost them their land and led to many deaths.

You want to keep the "new" name 2 syllables so that it fits into "Hail to the Redskins" without jacking up the whole song

I would also prefer a name that began with R.

Of a DC/national capitol region nature

I came up with Riflemen 

"Hail, to the Rifle MEN, Hail Victory!"

The rest of the song works from there

Rangers would also work, however you have the New York Rangers already or the Texas Rangers. 

I think a "Rangers vs Cowboys" game would be pretty cool.

Hopefully people wouldn't find the imagery of "Riflemen" offensive

How about the Washington Red Men?

http://www.redmen.org

Chartered by Congress, supported by Native Americans as well as Americans in general. Dedicated to freedom, established by secret patriotic societies in colonial times.

How about the Washington Red Men?

http://www.redmen.org

Chartered by Congress, supported by Native Americans as well as Americans in general. Dedicated to freedom, established by secret patriotic societies in colonial times.

you know what? that is, by far, the best alternative name i've heard yet. as long as those nut jobs let us keep our logo (they'll protest that in another 20 years or so), i like it. 

youre kind of sticking it down their throats with this name. 

keep the colors, keep the native american theme, keep the R. i think i love it. 

So we are ok with people using a racist slur as long as the people are using it when referring to themselves?

i.e.

A school that is 90% black calling themselves the negro's.

A school that is 90% Hispanic calling themselves the Spic's

A school that is 90% Jewish calling themselves the Zhidan

A school that is 90% white calling themselves the Wasps

What's the point of having a mascot if you don't have any sports teams?

from the redmen link above-

Who Are The Red Men?

The fraternity traces its origins back to 1765 and is descended from the Sons of Liberty. These patriots concealed their identities and worked "underground" to help establish freedom and liberty in the early Colonies. They patterned themselves after the great Iroquois Confederacy and its democratic governing body. Their system, with elected representatives to govern tribal councils, had been in existence for several centuries.

After the War of 1812 the name was changed to the Society of Red Men and in 1834 to the Improved Order of Red Men. They kept the customs and terminology of Native Americans as a basic part of the fraternity. Some of the words and terms may sound strange, but they soon become a familiar part of the language for every member. The Improved Order of Red Men (IORM) is similar in many ways to other major fraternal organizations in the United States.

The Improved Order of Red Men is a national fraternal organization that believes in…

• Love of and respect for the American Flag.
  • Preserving our Nation by defending and upholding the principle of free Government.
  • America and the democratic way of life.
  • Preserving the traditions and history of this great Country.
  • Creating and inspiring a greater love for the United States of America.
  • Helping our fellow men through organized charitable programs.
  • Linking our members together in a common bond of Brotherhood and Friendship.
  • Perpetuating the beautiful legends and traditions of a once-vanishing race and the keeping alive some of the traditional customs, ceremonies, and philosophies.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

who couldnt get behind this???

and its located in waco, former home of our QB. :)

You know one of the biggest issues I have with all this right now.  Nobody has stopped to consider the feelings of the fans of this team.

It's like, "sorry you will just have to get over it, put your big boy pants on.  The team you love is racist...didn't you know?" 

I have been rooting for this team since I was seven years old.  One of the best Christmas presents I ever received came from my grandparents in 1982.  A Joe Theismann jersey and a Riddell Washington Redskins helmet.  Not one fan of this team, chose this team because they hate or despise Natives, and thought it was hilarious that a team was called "Redskins," and we could all get together on Sundays and have happy fun time laughing at a bunch of white and black men running around on the field disrespecting Native's with their logo on their helmet.

The people that say "it's just a name, change it" will never understand this.  They don't get it.  All of a sudden tell all the Dallas fans that name "Cowboys" is offensive to Natives, and the name has to be changed, and see how they would react.  

I think it's a lot more significant that the opinions of the 90% of Natives who say it's not offensive, aren't having their opinions considered.

Instead people try to debunk the poll as invalid or too old, but don't offer anything solid on their part while ignoring the words current and decades-old usage and the endorsements of various Native American schools.

I think Halbritter being involved with the Buffalo Bills and Harjo protesting the Redskins at their Superbowl vs. the Bills without any words for the Bills shows that their objections are superficial and ignorant of their own people's history. This is important because both are saying that Redskins historically is derogatory which means they would have to be cognizant of history in order to argue using it.

You know one of the biggest issues I have with all this right now.  Nobody has stopped to consider the feelings of the fans of this team.

It's like, "sorry you will just have to get over it, put your big boy pants on.  The team you love is racist...didn't you know?" 

I have been rooting for this team since I was seven years old.  One of the best Christmas presents I ever received came from my grandparents in 1982.  A Joe Theismann jersey and a Riddell Washington Redskins helmet.  Not one fan of this team, chose this team because they hate or despise Natives, and thought it was hilarious that a team was called "Redskins," and we could all get together on Sundays and have happy fun time laughing at a bunch of white and black men running around on the field disrespecting Native's with their logo on their helmet.

The people that say "it's just a name, change it" will never understand this.  They don't get it.  

FYI, I have rooted for this team for longer than you have been alive.   

Thinking more about it, let's say a name change does happen. How many of us local fans are going to stop calling them Redskins, or stop wearing Redskins gear, or stop singing Hail to the Redskins? 

If a name change does occur, it's just going to breed a lot of resentment of fans towards the Native American activists and local writers who did push a name change.

For one, if a name change happens, that might be the death of the Washington Post. I know I for one will never purchase or read one of their papers nor click on any link of theirs. Snyder and the NFL MAY get hit hard financially with new uniforms as people protest the change by not buying any new merchandise and just continuing to sport Redskins gear, and/or buying new gear with Redskins on it from other merchandisers. Painkiller's post above about the lack of consideration for the fans got me thinking about this. If the name changes, then it validates the extremists' claims and paints fans as racists. There could be, very likely will be, a ton of resentment. We are already seeing it, in fact, with some talking of boycotts and others saying that if there is a name change than they don't want it be anything Native American.

I think Snyder would be wise to highlight to Goodell, other team owners, and other people in general how Harjo and others have said they won't stop at Redskins, that Chiefs, Braves, and others are next.That means this will go into other sports as well and have a large ripple effect. If Redskins are forced to change their name, I imagine that when those same NAs go after the other teams that the Redskins fans and Snyder will be there with them demanding the other teams change their names too. If we had to change ours because the offense was deemed legitimate, then the offense towards those other teams should be deemed legitimate as well. Normally this could be construed as a slippery slope argument, but in this case Harjo and others have actually said that other teams are next, so there is no slippery slope, it actually will happen, and once 1 concession is made, the rest eventually are too.

Thinking more about it, let's say a name change does happen. How many of us local fans are going to stop calling them Redskins, or stop wearing Redskins gear, or stop singing Hail to the Redskins? 

If a name change does occur, it's just going to breed a lot of resentment of fans towards the Native American activists and local writers who did push a name change.

For one, if a name change happens, that might be the death of the Washington Post. I know I for one will never purchase or read one of their papers nor click on any link of theirs. Snyder and the NFL MAY get hit hard financially with new uniforms as people protest the change by not buying any new merchandise and just continuing to sport Redskins gear, and/or buying new gear with Redskins on it from other merchandisers. Painkiller's post above about the lack of consideration for the fans got me thinking about this. If the name changes, then it validates the extremists' claims and paints fans as racists. There could be, very likely will be, a ton of resentment. We are already seeing it, in fact, with some talking of boycotts and others saying that if there is a name change than they don't want it be anything Native American.

I think Snyder would be wise to highlight to Goodell, other team owners, and other people in general how Harjo and others have said they won't stop at Redskins, that Chiefs, Braves, and others are next.That means this will go into other sports as well and have a large ripple effect. If Redskins are forced to change their name, I imagine that when those same NAs go after the other teams that the Redskins fans and Snyder will be there with them demanding the other teams change their names too. If we had to change ours because the offense was deemed legitimate, then the offense towards those other teams should be deemed legitimate as well. Normally this could be construed as a slippery slope argument, but in this case Harjo and others have actually said that other teams are next, so there is no slippery slope, it actually will happen, and once 1 concession is made, the rest eventually are too.

I'm sure the fans of the St. John's Redmen will never ever... oh wait.

The fans of the Stanford Indians will never again be able to enjoy...  errr

The fans of the University of Illinois will never get over the loss of Chief Illiniwek and his wonderful crazy dances....

Yes, I'm absolutely sure that this controversy will lead to the death of the Washington Post.

The fans of the University of Illinois will never get over the loss of Chief Illiniwek and his wonderful crazy dances....

Yeah, but all those teams suck. :)

Yes, I'm absolutely sure that this controversy will lead to the death of the Washington Post.

Right, because college programs across the country being forced to change due to legal pressure is the same as a single private enterprise being forced into change by something that the majority of the supposed offended aren't actually offended by.

But sure, because those situations have been accepted means there won't be any negative reactions from fans here, there aren't any already either. Those situations all had one local writer with a grudge against the owner pushing change through his paper that also holds a grudge against the owner. Unlike those colleges which didn't have a direct, local entity to blame the Redskins would.

Maybe this situation will be like the Fighting Sioux where the local tribe votes to keep the name, but the town in general decides it knows best what is offensive and removes the name for them. Any thoughts on that, any comparisons to it and us where 10% are trying to impose a change 90% don't want?

Elk if you want to pretend that this issue is all on the shoulders of a single writer at the Washington Post, I can't stop you.  I can however point out that it is obviously inaccurate.  It's not even limited to a single writer at the post, and it certainly isn't limited to the post in terms of local media personalities bothered by the name.  You know that.  Going further the Post wasn't behind the original lawsuit and they aren't the ones putting up radio ads now.  This issue predates Wise being with the Post and it started before Dan Snyder.  

Also one of the main arguments FOR changing the name has been increased revenue from new merchandise sales.  I know you think Redskins Nation will rise up and boycott the new products but I don't see that as likely, especially if latest evolution of the Redskins are any good.  If they change the name after the season and then follow it up by having a great 2014 season, sales will not be a problem.  

Archived