Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

Alaskins

Wow.  Cowboyszone now uses an * in the name Redskins, so when you type Redskins, the filter treats it like a bad word lol.  It's now Redsk*ns over there.  How effing pathetic.  Shame on you Cowboyszone.  Even some of their posters are calling out the mods. Ridiculous. http://cowboyszone.com/forums/fan-zone.59/

Then our mods need to respond to that.

This could be the start of a cold war.

Just a moment ago I read some articles about the topic, to be honest in the past I don't mind about this but now it worries me a lot.

My opinion is based -maybe- like so many fans outside U.S.A.

This is not the first time I said this on the board, I'm mexican, my roots are the aztecs, the mayans, the ancient Tenoch , native ancestors, like the logo from my beloved football team, similar like U.S.A's natives. I found very touching and respectful to have something in football that I can relate deep inside. When I saw the colors and the logo, my heart fell in love at first sight.
"Wooow I can support this team on this sport, I feel represented, cuz I don't live in D.C."

Believe me if down here we have a soccer team called Aztecas, Mayas or Yaquis the people will find it like a celebration of our roots, and of course, some stupid people will try to take some advantage and find an easy way to earn free money because the topic at legal courts.

I don't want to support the braves, or the Washington senators or the presidents, I love the Redskins and if the negative -to say the least- people win this battle they will rip my heart off. I only know D.C. thanks to the maps LOL.

Tomorrow PETA will be chase the bengals, the jags, the falcons? I know its a dumb statement, but c'mon people, this is the Redskins, because the U.S.A. native's war paiting faces.

NHL's and MLB's teams will be hunted too?

Yes, perhaps we could establish a missile base on a Houston Texans forums, kind of like the Soviets did in Cuba.

If the word Redskins is a bad word over there, then the word Cow**** should be a bad word over here.

I wouldn't get all mad if they changed the name. I'm not tied to it like some fans are. I'll still root for the team no matter what. If there was a definite complaint from the Native Americans that they are offended by the team name, then sure change it.

Where I have a problem is that you have guys like UnWise Mike, Peter King, John Feinstein (old white guys), trying to tell a group of people how they should feel. So far and I could be wrong, but only one Native American trible has really come out against is, the Oneida tribe. They had a protest Week 2 when the Redskins played the Packers. How many of them showed up you ask? 9. 9 people protested the team name. You also have poll numbers that show 90% of Native Americans are not offended by the name. You also have evidence that there are High Schools on Native American land that have the Redskins as their mascot, no problem there. So it seems this whole outcry is from a group of old white men, some other memembers of the media, and one tribe.

So until we hear more from other Native American tribes, I don't think this should be an issue.

God please make this crap go away!

I've been fed up with this for years; this name change crap was mentioned back in the 80's, and was quickly snuffed out. A list of the crybabies who want the name changed should be posted and pressure should be put on them or their bosses to put an end to this. Its old, has been old, and will forever be old, until someone like Snyder goes off on someone and tells them to go **** themselves.

Society today is all about what someone else believes is best for you, look no further than the White House to get an idea; facts are, 1,000,000 people can be polled about ANY topic, 999,999 will be on 1 side, but some schmuck will stand up for that 1 anus who is looking for their 5 minutes of fame, and crap like this gets put in the media.

When the media gets tired of this name change crap, it'll go away; til then, Snyder shouldn't bother giving any other comments about it. If anything, public scrutiny should be turned up on anyone in the spotlight who wants the name changed.

****ing society today just flat out sucks

Like UnWise Mike being an awful voice for the pro-change folks (and how he tells folks what they should be offended over), I just don't feel Snyder will ever come across as the right voice for defending it. He's come off as a jerk too many times so when something like this happens, its hard to take him as sincere....even if he is.

Like UnWise Mike being an awful voice for the pro-change folks (and how he tells folks what they should be offended over), I just don't feel Snyder will ever come across as the right voice for defending it. He's come off as a jerk too many times so when something like this happens, its hard to take him as sincere....even if he is.

Herein lies my problem with the letter. On face value, it was well-written, articulate and clearly defines why the Redskins organization is standing by the name. The problem is, Snyder wrote it. He will always be Little Insensitive Jerk Danny Snyder in the eyes of the media. Everything he does now will be viewed in that vein. He can do nothing right.

Which, as I have said before, he needs to do. Nothing. Charlatans and Glory hogs like Harjo and Halbritter eventually burn themselves out. Letters like this only add fuel to the fire.

Snyder loves the team--and I love that fact that he is the owner right now. He will not change unless he is absolutely forced to. But he is a PR nightmare. The media will view everything he does as the Little Insensitive Jerk. 

And the bottom line is--this name is going nowhere until sponsors start bailing. The Redskins are entirely too lucrative of an advertising agent to start bailing because 25 Native Americans show up to protest.

I will go on record with this statement as well. 

If it should be proven in scientific polls at some point, conducted by unbiased individuals, such as the Annenberg Poll by the University of Pennsylvania that Native Americans at large and in large percentage are offended and opposed to the name than I would get behind changing the name, and removing all Native American imagery from the team.  To be clear, I mean Native Americans who identify as Native right now.  Not somebody who has a grandmother 100 years ago who was Native, and everybody else in their family was of another race, especially since most of those claims would be impossible to prove.

The day may come when it's time to change the name, if the opinions of Native's have changed on the subject to such a degree that now they at large no longer support the name.  If that happens...so be it.  Until I hear somebody other than Harjo, this other clown who claims to represent the Oneidas, and a bunch of perpetually offended "white guilt" journalists mostly with personal axes to grind against the organization calling for change, I will continue to vehemently oppose any name change, as I am sure most fans will.

I am not heartless, but I fail to see in any way how Native's have been proven at large to be offended, and that the name Redskins itself has been proven to actually be offensive in intent and by design.   The burden of proof is on the accuser not the accused.  You want the name changed?  Show us some substantial evidence that helps to prove your case.    

People need to stop worrying about the name and start worrying about this ... 

• In 2010, the extreme poverty threshold for a family of four was about $11,000, or $2,750 a year per person. The rate of extreme poverty on the largest reservations averages four times the national average.
  •  
  • Nearly 10 percent of all Native families are homeless.
  •  
  • At over 14 percent, the rate of Native homes without electricity is 10 times the national average.
  •  
  • Twenty percent of Native households lack running water.
  •  
  • The unemployment rate on some reservations can be as high as 75 percent,
  •  
  • The infant mortality rate on some reservations is about 300 percent higher than the national average.
  •  
  • The life expectancy of Native men is 50 years of age.
  •  
  • There are blatantly exploitative practices imposed on Native American communities. Native lands become the site of garbage landfills, while uranium mining and disposable uranium tailings pollute many reservations. Nuclear waste is stored on some reservation sites, and up until 1991, atomic bombs were tested on some reservations.

http://www.pslweb.org/liberationnews/newspaper/vol-6-no-9/native-reservations-poorest.html

People need to stop worrying about the name and start worrying about this ... 

• In 2010, the extreme poverty threshold for a family of four was about $11,000, or $2,750 a year per person. The rate of extreme poverty on the largest reservations averages four times the national average.
  •  
  • Nearly 10 percent of all Native families are homeless.
  •  
  • At over 14 percent, the rate of Native homes without electricity is 10 times the national average.
  •  
  • Twenty percent of Native households lack running water.
  •  
  • The unemployment rate on some reservations can be as high as 75 percent,
  •  
  • The infant mortality rate on some reservations is about 300 percent higher than the national average.
  •  
  • The life expectancy of Native men is 50 years of age.
  •  
  • There are blatantly exploitative practices imposed on Native American communities. Native lands become the site of garbage landfills, while uranium mining and disposable uranium tailings pollute many reservations. Nuclear waste is stored on some reservation sites, and up until 1991, atomic bombs were tested on some reservations.

http://www.pslweb.org/liberationnews/newspaper/vol-6-no-9/native-reservations-poorest.html

Ummm....  why can't people worry about both things?

You want to know something ironic.  lol

All I can think of the last couple of days with regards to this topic is the last line of "Killing in the Name" by Rage screamed about 20 times.

"**** YOU I WON'T DO WHAT YOU TELL ME!!!!!""

LMAO

That does seem to be the attitude on here a lot of the time.  

This is not the first time I said this on the board, I'm mexican, my roots are the aztecs, the mayans, the ancient Tenoch , native ancestors, like the logo from my beloved football team, similar like U.S.A's natives. I found very touching and respectful to have something in football that I can relate deep inside. When I saw the colors and the logo, my heart fell in love at first sight.

"Wooow I can support this team on this sport, I feel represented, cuz I don't live in D.C."

Believe me if down here we have a soccer team called Aztecas, Mayas or Yaquis the people will find it like a celebration of our roots, and of course, some stupid people will try to take some advantage and find an easy way to earn free money because the topic at legal courts.

How about the Wetbacks?  

The reason I ask is because youy are making a false equivalence.  The name of this team is not the "Aztecas" or the "Mayas" or the "Apaches" or the "Comanches" - it is the Redskins.   No one thinks the word "Aztec" is derogatory.  SOME people think the word "Redskin" is derogatory.   Therein lies the problem.  

Archived