Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

Alaskins

Is anybody from ES attending?

Seems like a good opportunity to voice concerns.

What point is it to voice concerns to people who won't listen?

The facts are there, the polls are there, every bit of evidence that is needed for these people to realize how little support they have is already there, but here they come again.

what makes you think they give a crap about any concerns but their own?

See, if i held a big nationally recognized rally and 8 people showed up like in Green Bay, i'd do the smart thing and figure no one agrees with me and go home.

They don't seem to think this way.

They seem to think that means they have 300 million people to fight. (minus 8)

Voicing concerns only works if anyone is listening.

They clearly are not.

(But while you're there, ask them about the Buffalo Bills, and take a photo of the confused look they give you when you do)

~Bang

Is anybody from ES attending?

Seems like a good opportunity to voice concerns.

I don't really want to participate in the process as long as it is conducted fairly. My opinion of the name "Redskins" is pretty irrelevant. I don't believe that I deserve a vote just because I love the team.

To be honest, even though meetings like that may lead to a change (which I'd prefer not happen), I'm happy those meetings are going to take place. The people who are invested in this decision need to flush out the facts, discuss it, and come to some sort of acceptable conclusion/decision. If Native Americans are offended and make a compelling case then the NFL and Snyder should absolutely consider a change. If it turns out that it's more smoke than fire, keep the name and get a big enough consensus that is OK to do.

In some ways, regardless of the outcome I'd rather the issue just be resolved. If I have to fall in love with the Washington Warriors, I'd rather start that in 2014 than continue hearing about this controversy for 3-5 more years. I'm starting to believe that the name will be changed at some point, so the sooner the better if it has to happen.

Wow. I saw that on Twitter, but didn't think it was true. Jeez. Did they eventually make it to the right one?

Sounds like it's still going on. They didn't move to the other Ritz as they had a press release out with the wrong Ritz address on it.

And right on cue, UnWise Mike is trolling Redskins fans on twitter from there.

This is exactly what I was talking about if someone says an opinion that you disagree with you immediately slap a label on them as clueless or stupid or ignorant. I am not saying that 1+1=5. I am stating my personal opinion as I opened my paragraph with "My personal opinion." It's not stupid. It is my opinion how can you call someone else's belief stupid? That is the ideological warfare that is hurting people. This is EXACTLY what I am talking about. 

Oh for goodness sake.  When you Godwin a thread out of the blue, you can expect people to push back.

Sounds like it's still going on. They didn't move to the other Ritz as they had a press release out with the wrong Ritz address on it.

And right on cue, UnWise Mike is trolling Redskins fans on twitter from there.

Curious as to the makeup and size of the crowd

~Bang

Oh for goodness sake.  When you Godwin a thread out of the blue, you can expect people to push back.

now now,, in his opinion it's almost 1930s Germany here, but that isn't to say anything about fascism, because in his opinion, they aren't synonymous.

We're just media brainwashed.

~Bang

Oklahoma is based on Choctaw Indian words which translate as red people (okla meaning "people" and humma meaning "red"). 

Where is the uproar over all things Oklahoma? Why no State name change? Something that holds way more weight and is spoken more often than a professional football team's name.

This argument is getting ridiculous, but at the same time I cannot tell someone else how they feel. At this point I hope we never change the name, but if we do give in to PCism, I'll get over it quickly and still call my favorite team the Redskins. 

It's ok for us to embrace this change - still won't change our affinity for this team and the amazing memories all of us have had since birth. 

I would rather us get the ball rolling now so we can get back to focus on playing football and winning games. 

Truly, the only painful thing for me in this process isn't really losing the name, despite me thinking that they shouldn't change the name or have to, but will be the way how those who have 'won' this social experiment conduct themselves.  The jokes...adding insult to injury, etc. 

Washington Football Club

Washington Warriors

I just want to win games.  I want to win while Robert is here.  I do not want the consistent distraction and media pounding the Skins have been taking while we actually have a legitimate threat at QB. 

It's ok for us to embrace this change - still won't change our affinity for this team and the amazing memories all of us have had since birth. 

I would rather us get the ball rolling now so we can get back to focus on playing football and winning games. 

It's also O.K. for us to embrace the name we already have.

There will be no " ball rolling " as long as Snyder has the team.

I keep thinking this whole thing has got to be an absurd joke.... but it's not. 

I don't believe Redskins is a derogatory name.

But I'll chime in... if they change the name, I'd simply change it to "Sons of Washington" and NEVER change the song.  Keep it as Hail to the Redskins.  You can't keep our crowd/fans from ripping into that song after each score. EVER.

I keep thinking this whole thing has got to be an absurd joke.... but it's not. 

I don't believe Redskins is a derogatory name.

But I'll chime in... if they change the name, I'd simply change it to "Sons of Washington" and NEVER change the song.  Keep it as Hail to the Redskins.  You can't keep our crowd/fans from ripping into that song after each score. EVER.

Right. I think they would/should make it as close as possible. Hail to the Redskins can still exist. I would call the team the Braves since it was our original name and it's very similar.

Right. I think they would/should make it as close as possible. Hail to the Redskins can still exist. I would call the team the Braves since it was our original name and it's very similar.

You could do that with Redhawks. Or we could do as you say and use Braves since that was the original team name.

It will be a long, long time likely before a name change happens. The movement for it doesn't have much growth outside of certain media members. There are nowhere near enough Native Americans behind this to give the claims of the movement legitimacy and momentum. Snyder is a fan first, so he won't change the name unless pressured by the NFL, and that won't happen with sales up and without serious momentum to the movement. 

Right now the Redskins' spokesperson is using the right arguments, that it isn't derogatory and the results of the Anneberg poll. The only refutation attempts at that poll are the absurd claim that it is heavily skewed by people wrongly self-identifying as Native American and the assumption that if Alaska and Hawaii were included that the numbers would then drastically shift. That ignores the math behind the poll and/or shows total ignorance to how polls and polling conduction methods work. If Hawaii and Alaska were to skew the results, there would have to be huge movements in those states against the name, yet that isn't happening. For people claiming to be Native American who aren't to skew the poll results, there would have to be a ton, almost a majority of those taking the poll, who did so, and that odds of calling at random all over the country and getting that many who take a poll, idenitfy incorrectly, and then also say the name isn't offensive are incredibly miniscule and certainly not enough to skew a poll up to 90%.

Truly, the only painful thing for me in this process isn't really losing the name, despite me thinking that they shouldn't change the name or have to, but will be the way how those who have 'won' this social experiment conduct themselves.  The jokes...adding insult to injury, etc. 

Washington Football Club

Washington Warriors

I just want to win games.  I want to win while Robert is here.  I do not want the consistent distraction and media pounding the Skins have been taking while we actually have a legitimate threat at QB. 

I love this team, but I can say beyond a shadow of a doubt that if the name is changed I will boycott the team, and the NFL for as long as I remain alive.

We are the Redskins, are history is the Redskins, my love is for the REDSKINS not the Washington Football Club, or what ever other name someone comes up with.

I love this team, but I can say beyond a shadow of a doubt that if the name is changed I will boycott the team, and the NFL for as long as I remain alive.

We are the Redskins, are history is the Redskins, my love is for the REDSKINS not the Washington Football Club, or what ever other name someone comes up with.

Amazing to me that you would take this stance - but considering you have 70+ posts on the teams' official forum I guess I shouldn't be.  So I guess if they change the name...you are boycotting the team which includes Robert, Gibbs, our 3 Super Bowls, Sean Taylor, Sonny...Sam...Darrell Green. 

Amazing. 

peace out, then.

Most of us don't want the name changed. But we're accepting what is trending here. Personally, if it can't be Redskins. Then I don't want a nickname. I don't want a mascot. I don't want a logo. I will live with the Washington Football Club or whatever. 

FootballTeam-burgundy_1024x1024.png?3053

this website has over 100 different designs and i'm afraid this thing is gaining alot of steam.   This name isn't going to change anytime soon and Danny Boy will take it to court and fight it non-stop.  He is either going to get the help of the other sports leagues otherwise they are all going down together.  Danny Boy isn't letting just the skins name just get changed

http://99designs.com/logo-design/contests/community-contest-rebrand-washington-redskins-253079?entriespage=6#contest-header

Archived