• Blog Entries

• By Destino in ES Coverage
      We’re still doing this?  Absolutely!  Despite all the compelling reasons to just let everyone go home and enjoy and extended offseason, this is not an option.  The games must be played, and therefore we the long-suffering fans will feel compelled to watch.  Even games no reasonable football fan would choose to watch like, for example, today’s Redskins Jets game.   

Today’s convergence of sadness features the 30th ranked scoring offense (Jets 14.4 ppg) versus the 32nd (Redskins 12.0 ppg).  The first team to 15 wins!  With no playoff aspirations the compelling story lines for this game are largely limited to watching young players (hopefully) develop.  Dwayne Haskins gets his first home start and Derrius Guice is back from injury.   

My, reasonable, goals for today’s game:  
      1- Score a touchdown 
      2- Score more than 17 points.   
      3- Haskins throws for 200 yards or more with no interceptions  
      4- Guice runs the ball at least 10 times and finishes at 3.5 yards per carry and healthy.  

Hoping for a win at this point feels like setting myself up for disappointment, so I’m happy to settle for an entertaining loss.  

Special thanks to @pez for some excellent Guinness beef stew.  If you absolutely have to stand in a frozen parking lot at 9am, the best place to do it is at the Extremeskins Tailgate with Pez and @Huly.  Great fans, great people. 

The Redskins have declared for the following players as inactive: 
      Paul Richardson  
      Colt McCoy 
      Deshazor Everett 
      Chris Thompson  
      Ross Pierschbacher 
      Vernon Davis  
      Tim Settle  

The Jets declared the following players as inactive  
      Nate Hairston  
      Darryl Roberts  
      Paul Worrilow 
      Matthias Farley  
      CJ Mosley  
      Jordan Willis  
      Leo Koloamatangi 

1st Quarter - Redskins 0 - 6 Jets
      If you wanted to sit in the cold and watch a football game with some Jets fans at FedEx, but were worried that there were not enough seats available, I have good news.  There’s plenty of space available, so come on down and prove you’re a real fan by sitting though this in person.

Jets dominated the 1st quarter even though they only scored 6 points.  The reason being that Washington managed only 13 yards of offense and a single first down.  

Question: Is it still a check down pass if the QB never looks at anyone else?

2nd Quarter - Redskins 3 - 20 Jets
      The Jets have achieved an insurmountable 13 point lead early in the 2nd quarter.  All hope is lost.

Is there a more perfect example of the Redskins offense than their first scoring drive in the 2nd quarter?  Interception gives the Redskins the ball on the Jets 16 yard line.  They proceed to march 10 yards backwards before kicking a field goal from the Jets 26.  It's perfect.  Two or three more field goals we can call it a day. 

The Jets score again and if feels like they are are just piling on at this point.  Three touchdowns in the first half for them, just three points for the redskins.  Our streak of no touchdowns has now extended to 15 quarters. 

3rd Quarter - Redskins 3 - 20 Jets
      There is a spider slowly descending from the ceiling in the press box and it's the most interesting thing that's happened during the third quarter of this game. 

I have decided to allow the spider to live, provided it does not touch me.  I'm off to get some more caffeine. 

4th Quarter - Redskins 17 - 34 Jets
      The first wave of Redskins fans, the few that are here, started streaming towards the exits after that 4th Jets touchdown.  As if the Jets didn't have this game wrapped up in the 2nd quarter. 

Jet have now more than doubled their average points per game and have matched their season high of 34 points (and they missed two field goals in this game). 

TOUCHDOWN REDSKINS!  THE DROUGHT IT OVER!  Guice took a short pass from Haskins  all the way to the house.  2 point conversion is successful on a pass from Haskins to Quinn. 

The Redskins score another touchdown!  This feels like an embarrassment of riches, even if we are still certain to lose this game. 

End of Game.

Let's review those reasonable goals I mentioned earlier:

1- Success.
      2- Close enough, I'm counting it
      3- Haskins did throw for over 200, but unfortunately did have an interception. 
      4- Guice was not given the opportunity to run the ball ten times today.  He did however score on a 45 yard TD pass and finish the game healthy.  I'll take it.

Even though the Redskins lost, it was good to see the offense show some faint signs of life and end the streak of games without a TD.  The team looked competitive for much of the second half, and perhaps they could have made this a fun game if they carried that same energy throughout.  It was good to see Guice and Mclaurin show out today.  I think both of them have a future with this team that I look forward to seeing. 

Alaskins

The Official ES Redskins Name Change Thread---All Things Related to Changing the Team's Name Go Here

I get an impression that the surge of uber-offended PC Police has a little to do with showing how non-racist they are. "I'm not racist, I have alot of Indian friends, I've DATED American Indians!"

• Like 1

Is anybody from ES attending?

Seems like a good opportunity to voice concerns.

What point is it to voice concerns to people who won't listen?

The facts are there, the polls are there, every bit of evidence that is needed for these people to realize how little support they have is already there, but here they come again.

what makes you think they give a crap about any concerns but their own?

See, if i held a big nationally recognized rally and 8 people showed up like in Green Bay, i'd do the smart thing and figure no one agrees with me and go home.

They don't seem to think this way.

They seem to think that means they have 300 million people to fight. (minus 8)

Voicing concerns only works if anyone is listening.

They clearly are not.

(But while you're there, ask them about the Buffalo Bills, and take a photo of the confused look they give you when you do)

~Bang

Edited by Bang
  • Like 2

Is anybody from ES attending?

Seems like a good opportunity to voice concerns.

I don't really want to participate in the process as long as it is conducted fairly. My opinion of the name "Redskins" is pretty irrelevant. I don't believe that I deserve a vote just because I love the team.

To be honest, even though meetings like that may lead to a change (which I'd prefer not happen), I'm happy those meetings are going to take place. The people who are invested in this decision need to flush out the facts, discuss it, and come to some sort of acceptable conclusion/decision. If Native Americans are offended and make a compelling case then the NFL and Snyder should absolutely consider a change. If it turns out that it's more smoke than fire, keep the name and get a big enough consensus that is OK to do.

In some ways, regardless of the outcome I'd rather the issue just be resolved. If I have to fall in love with the Washington Warriors, I'd rather start that in 2014 than continue hearing about this controversy for 3-5 more years. I'm starting to believe that the name will be changed at some point, so the sooner the better if it has to happen.

So they set up shop at the wrong Ritz Carlton

what happened? (one of the nine protestors who was in charge of booking the venue got it wrong?)

no, really, what happened?

So they set up shop at the wrong Ritz Carlton

Wow.  I saw that on Twitter, but didn't think it was true.  Jeez.  Did they eventually make it to the right one?

Wow. I saw that on Twitter, but didn't think it was true. Jeez. Did they eventually make it to the right one?

Sounds like it's still going on. They didn't move to the other Ritz as they had a press release out with the wrong Ritz address on it.

And right on cue, UnWise Mike is trolling Redskins fans on twitter from there.

This is exactly what I was talking about if someone says an opinion that you disagree with you immediately slap a label on them as clueless or stupid or ignorant. I am not saying that 1+1=5. I am stating my personal opinion as I opened my paragraph with "My personal opinion." It's not stupid. It is my opinion how can you call someone else's belief stupid? That is the ideological warfare that is hurting people. This is EXACTLY what I am talking about. 

Oh for goodness sake.  When you Godwin a thread out of the blue, you can expect people to push back.

Sounds like it's still going on. They didn't move to the other Ritz as they had a press release out with the wrong Ritz address on it.

And right on cue, UnWise Mike is trolling Redskins fans on twitter from there.

Curious as to the makeup and size of the crowd

~Bang

Oh for goodness sake.  When you Godwin a thread out of the blue, you can expect people to push back.

now now,, in his opinion it's almost 1930s Germany here, but that isn't to say anything about fascism, because in his opinion, they aren't synonymous.

We're just media brainwashed.

~Bang

now now,, in his opinion it's almost 1930s Germany here, but that isn't to say anything about fascism, because in his opinion, they aren't synonymous.

We're just media brainwashed.

~Bang

And remember, all opinions are equal.  :)

Oklahoma is based on Choctaw Indian words which translate as red people (okla meaning "people" and humma meaning "red"). 

Where is the uproar over all things Oklahoma? Why no State name change? Something that holds way more weight and is spoken more often than a professional football team's name.

This argument is getting ridiculous, but at the same time I cannot tell someone else how they feel. At this point I hope we never change the name, but if we do give in to PCism, I'll get over it quickly and still call my favorite team the Redskins. 

Sky Kerstein (@SkyKerstein)

7 Oct 2013 11:16 AM EDT

Hard to see, but standing room only at the Oneida Indian Nation presser on changing the #Redskins name

7A9DE2AF-335C-42A5-A55B-9C73331CF1FF-821

If we must change the name, I'm all in for week....I mean all in for The Washington Super Bowl Champions or The Washington Redsniks

I hadn't checked in on the thread in a week or so and I come back to see Godwin's Law being evoked. Hilarious.

It's ok for us to embrace this change - still won't change our affinity for this team and the amazing memories all of us have had since birth. 

I would rather us get the ball rolling now so we can get back to focus on playing football and winning games. 

Truly, the only painful thing for me in this process isn't really losing the name, despite me thinking that they shouldn't change the name or have to, but will be the way how those who have 'won' this social experiment conduct themselves.  The jokes...adding insult to injury, etc. 

Washington Football Club

Washington Warriors

I just want to win games.  I want to win while Robert is here.  I do not want the consistent distraction and media pounding the Skins have been taking while we actually have a legitimate threat at QB. 

It's ok for us to embrace this change - still won't change our affinity for this team and the amazing memories all of us have had since birth. 

I would rather us get the ball rolling now so we can get back to focus on playing football and winning games. 

It's also O.K. for us to embrace the name we already have.

There will be no " ball rolling " as long as Snyder has the team.

Edited by Spearfeather

I keep thinking this whole thing has got to be an absurd joke.... but it's not. 

I don't believe Redskins is a derogatory name.

But I'll chime in... if they change the name, I'd simply change it to "Sons of Washington" and NEVER change the song.  Keep it as Hail to the Redskins.  You can't keep our crowd/fans from ripping into that song after each score. EVER.

Edited by Ellis

I keep thinking this whole thing has got to be an absurd joke.... but it's not. 

I don't believe Redskins is a derogatory name.

But I'll chime in... if they change the name, I'd simply change it to "Sons of Washington" and NEVER change the song.  Keep it as Hail to the Redskins.  You can't keep our crowd/fans from ripping into that song after each score. EVER.

Right. I think they would/should make it as close as possible. Hail to the Redskins can still exist. I would call the team the Braves since it was our original name and it's very similar.

• Like 1

Right. I think they would/should make it as close as possible. Hail to the Redskins can still exist. I would call the team the Braves since it was our original name and it's very similar.

You could do that with Redhawks. Or we could do as you say and use Braves since that was the original team name.

It will be a long, long time likely before a name change happens. The movement for it doesn't have much growth outside of certain media members. There are nowhere near enough Native Americans behind this to give the claims of the movement legitimacy and momentum. Snyder is a fan first, so he won't change the name unless pressured by the NFL, and that won't happen with sales up and without serious momentum to the movement. 

Right now the Redskins' spokesperson is using the right arguments, that it isn't derogatory and the results of the Anneberg poll. The only refutation attempts at that poll are the absurd claim that it is heavily skewed by people wrongly self-identifying as Native American and the assumption that if Alaska and Hawaii were included that the numbers would then drastically shift. That ignores the math behind the poll and/or shows total ignorance to how polls and polling conduction methods work. If Hawaii and Alaska were to skew the results, there would have to be huge movements in those states against the name, yet that isn't happening. For people claiming to be Native American who aren't to skew the poll results, there would have to be a ton, almost a majority of those taking the poll, who did so, and that odds of calling at random all over the country and getting that many who take a poll, idenitfy incorrectly, and then also say the name isn't offensive are incredibly miniscule and certainly not enough to skew a poll up to 90%.

Edited by elkabong82

Truly, the only painful thing for me in this process isn't really losing the name, despite me thinking that they shouldn't change the name or have to, but will be the way how those who have 'won' this social experiment conduct themselves.  The jokes...adding insult to injury, etc. 

Washington Football Club

Washington Warriors

I just want to win games.  I want to win while Robert is here.  I do not want the consistent distraction and media pounding the Skins have been taking while we actually have a legitimate threat at QB. 

I love this team, but I can say beyond a shadow of a doubt that if the name is changed I will boycott the team, and the NFL for as long as I remain alive.

We are the Redskins, are history is the Redskins, my love is for the REDSKINS not the Washington Football Club, or what ever other name someone comes up with.

I love this team, but I can say beyond a shadow of a doubt that if the name is changed I will boycott the team, and the NFL for as long as I remain alive.

We are the Redskins, are history is the Redskins, my love is for the REDSKINS not the Washington Football Club, or what ever other name someone comes up with.

Amazing to me that you would take this stance - but considering you have 70+ posts on the teams' official forum I guess I shouldn't be.  So I guess if they change the name...you are boycotting the team which includes Robert, Gibbs, our 3 Super Bowls, Sean Taylor, Sonny...Sam...Darrell Green. 

Amazing. 

peace out, then.

Most of us don't want the name changed. But we're accepting what is trending here. Personally, if it can't be Redskins. Then I don't want a nickname. I don't want a mascot. I don't want a logo. I will live with the Washington Football Club or whatever. 

FootballTeam-burgundy_1024x1024.png?3053

this website has over 100 different designs and i'm afraid this thing is gaining alot of steam.   This name isn't going to change anytime soon and Danny Boy will take it to court and fight it non-stop.  He is either going to get the help of the other sports leagues otherwise they are all going down together.  Danny Boy isn't letting just the skins name just get changed

http://99designs.com/logo-design/contests/community-contest-rebrand-washington-redskins-253079?entriespage=6#contest-header

Edited by skinfan2k