Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

Alaskins

Really boss? I'm not speaking about Denver or Colorado just in general. Just saying that just because the museum is ran by the city doesn't mean it doesn't revise / edit history.

I mean really, are they going to say, 'yeah, this guy was a genocidal racist."?

Let Bill speak for himself.

laststand.jpg

Hot dang, here we hve a recreation of indians killing everybody, with a poster of white people shooting them all down.

No exploitin' goin' on here. 

these fine folk are just getting the opportunity to show the world how they massacred everybody while being shot down.

fred_and_bill_3.jpg

Note, they write on the bottom how the "wily dusky people" (ie: Untrustworthy non-whites)  will show their weird war-dance and horsemanship, with a nifty painting showing the savages attacking some poor white settlers who are invading their lands and preparing the road for genocide.

nl010012_202dc53c73.jpgHere's a bunch of natives being depicted displaying heir proud tradition of surrounding white settlers and trying to gun them down.

you guys and your justifications..  lol

Buffalo Bills is the single most offensive nickname in all of sports, especially when it comes to natives.

to ignore that is laughable, especially considering the reasoning used to villify the Redskins name.

one is a color, the other is a guy who did as much as any individual ever could to destroy an entire way of life for millions of people.

Hey, since I seem to be on a roll in asking questions that will actually be answered.. RFK, when you went to Minnesota and watched the protest, did you happen to tell them how much you stood beside them, even though you support the redskins so much that you went all the way out there to see them play the Vikings?

~Bang

Let's change the name of Oklahoma too

Oklahoma - Choctaw for Redmen

Has the word ever been used as a slur before?

Absolutely. I wonder if all Native American geographic etymology should be in the table. Why wouldn't it? The name changers have made it clear that all NA imagery should be removed period.

Milwaukee, Seattle, Chicago, etc

Only sports mascots (although you're right in that there are some out there that wan't it all expunged)

Really boss? I'm not speaking about Denver or Colorado just in general. Just saying that just because the museum is ran by the city doesn't mean it doesn't revise / edit history.

I mean really, are they going to say, 'yeah, this guy was a genocidal racist."?

Nope. But if their history isn't correct then why haven't they been called out on it yet? 

Hell there's a bunch of places in the DMV that would need to be changed as well as some roads.

We're going down that slippery slope that no one said would happen

Slippery Slope. Some folks said legalizing gay marriage would be a slippery slope too. 

But it's pretty clear that the Change the Mascot movement is focused on one team and one team only and that's us. 

I for one only care about our sports team, I don't give an F about the others. I don't want to have to explain to my children why so many people find our name and mascot racist/offensive. 

You have entirely missed the point.

If you think proudly displaying a symbol of genocide and murder, "Texas rangers" isn't offensive, then you have absolutely no ground to stand on with "Redskin". None. Zero.

Needs to be changed. All of it. Own your argument, not just what is convenient for you at the time. Because that would be spineless and disingenuous

Again, is the word Ranger a racial slur?

At one time, Texas authorities put out a bounty on Native American scalps. The Rangers, instead of going after the fearsome Comanche (for whom the bounty was intended) instead focused on peaceful NA tribes and slaughtered men, women, and children by the thousands. Turning in NA scalps for bounty.

Texas Rangers is a racist organization and all their fans are insensitive bigots. Change it.

If the rangers have a racist symbol or name why haven't the NCAI and numerous tribes denounced their name?

The list of tribes and organizations denouncing our name is long and it's growing every year. 

I have no right to tell a native person (or anyone) what they can or cannot be offended by. 

I've always thought of ways to honor people of different races. Never really associated mascots of a sports team with honoring said races though. But maybe thats just me :)

But think how ridiculous the reverse might be.

Are you really going to name a team something that will ridicule, demean or insult the fan base you are hoping to attract? That makes no sense. You want a symbol that people can rally behind and stand with.

That's why you've never seen a team named the Boston Benedict Arnolds or the New Hampshire Hitlers. Who would buy that shirt or feel good about rooting for that! Instead, you pick a group you feel good about... Patriots, Vikings, Cowboys, or something that represents your town proudly Steelers, Packers, or an animal or mythical beast that represents strength, honor, speed and power Jaguars, Eagles, Falcons, Lions, etc.

No team is named the Landover Landfills or the Syracuse Skunks (as I type that I bet there is a team named after skunks somewhere)

Jefferson Davis highway in nova is next. Just read that.

I'm sorry but I have to steal a line from John Stewart's monologue about the Charleston shooting:

"We have hundreds of roads in this country named after confederate generals who fought to keep black people enslaved..it's racial wallpaper and you cannot allow that"

Full disclosure, I grew up in a southern family. My whole life I was told the confederate flag stood for my southern heritage. My grandmother has a portrait of Robert E Lee in her house, I even got a flag for my 18th birthday. 

But all public confederate history should be in a museum. We shouldn't honor treason, racism, slavery, and the armed insurrection with the names of these men. 

IDK what someone does privately. 

If I'm not mistaken, the team uses the term and imagery to associate with being strong warriors in battle (or in this case, during games)

From what I've heard/read, offended Natives have an issue with being thought of as nothing but war Mongerers in addition to the race element.

I can see how they would feel weird about that trying to be spun as "honoring" their ancestors.

And maybe it would be different if the team was owned and operated by a Native American but it's not. It's owned by a white guy and I don't think many of the players are NA. So it's just a little awkward when you take into account the treatment NAs have gotten in the last few centuries.

If I'm not mistaken, the team uses the term and imagery to associate with being strong warriors in battle (or in this case, during games)

From what I've heard/read, offended Natives have an issue with being thought of as nothing but war Mongerers in addition to the race element.

Meh, **** em :)

HTTR

Let Bill speak for himself.

Hot dang, here we hve a recreation of indians killing everybody, with a poster of white people shooting them all down.

No exploitin' goin' on here. 

these fine folk are just getting the opportunity to show the world how they massacred everybody while being shot down.

Note, they write on the bottom how the "wily dusky people" (ie: Untrustworthy non-whites)  will show their weird war-dance and horsemanship, with a nifty painting showing the savages attacking some poor white settlers who are invading their lands and preparing the road for genocide.

Here's a bunch of natives being depicted displaying heir proud tradition of surrounding white settlers and trying to gun them down.

you guys and your justifications..  lol

Buffalo Bills is the single most offensive nickname in all of sports, especially when it comes to natives.

to ignore that is laughable, especially considering the reasoning used to villify the Redskins name.

one is a color, the other is a guy who did as much as any individual ever could to destroy an entire way of life for millions of people.

Hey, since I seem to be on a roll in asking questions that will actually be answered.. RFK, when you went to Minnesota and watched the protest, did you happen to tell them how much you stood beside them, even though you support the redskins so much that you went all the way out there to see them play the Vikings?

~Bang

If you feel so strongly about this Bang why not contact the NCAI and numerous native tribes who have spoken out against our name and ask their opinion?

Ask them if a silhouette of a bison on a football helmet accompanied with the name buffalo bill causes as much anger as our name?

We have no right to tell native people what they can and cannot be offended by, 

If you feel so strongly about this Bang why not contact the NCAI and numerous native tribes who have spoken out against our name and ask their opinion?

Ask them if a silhouette of a bison on a football helmet accompanied with the name buffalo bill causes as much anger as our name?

We have no right to tell native people what they can and cannot be offended by, 

Or. maybe we could bypass politicians, and ask the natives, themselves. 

Oh, wait.  Their opinion doesn't count. 

Or. maybe we could bypass politicians, and ask the natives, themselves. 

Oh, wait.  Their opinion doesn't count. 

That's a great idea let's ask the following organizations and tribes about their opinions of our team name:

Affiliated Tribes of Northwest Indians
Cherokee Nation of Oklahoma
Comanche Nation of Oklahoma
The Confederated Tribes of the Colville Reservation 
Grand Traverse Band of Ottawa and Chippewa Indians 
Hoh Indian Tribe
Inter Tribal Council of Arizona
Inter-Tribal Council of the Five Civilized Tribes
Juaneño Band of Mission Indians 
Little River Band of Ottawa Indians 
Match-E-Be-Nash-She-Wish Band of Pottawatomi Indians, Gun Lake Tribe (
Menominee Tribe of Indians 
Oneida Indian Nation 
Oneida Tribe of Indians of Wisconsin
Osage Nation
Navajo Nation Council
Penobscot Nation
Poarch Band of Creek Indians
Samish Indian Nation 
Sault Ste. Marie Tribe of Chippewa Indians 
Shoshone-Bannock Tribes 
Standing Rock Sioux Tribe
The Three Affiliated Tribes of the Fort Berthold Indian Reservation 
United South and Eastern Tribes (USET)

Advocates for American Indian Children 
American Indian Mental Health Association 
American Indian Movement[323]
American Indian Opportunities Industrialization Center of San Bernardino County
American Indian Student Services at the Ohio State University
American Indian High Education Consortium
American Indian College Fund
Americans for Indian Opportunity
Association on American Indian Affairs
Buncombe County Native American Inter-tribal Association 
Capitol Area Indian Resources 
Concerned American Indian Parents 
Council for Indigenous North Americans 
Eagle and Condor Indigenous Peoples’ Alliance
First Peoples Worldwide
Fontana Native American Indian Center, Inc. 
Governor’s Interstate Indian Council
Greater Tulsa Area Indian Affairs Commission
Great Lakes Inter-Tribal Council (Wisconsin)
HONOR – Honor Our Neighbors Origins and Rights
Kansas Association for Native American Education
Maryland Commission on Indian Affairs
Medicine Wheel Inter-tribal Association (Louisiana)
Minnesota Indian Education Association
National Congress of American Indians (NCAI)
National Indian Child Welfare Association
National Indian Education Association
National Indian Youth Council
National Native American Law Student Association
Native American Caucus of the California Democratic Party
Native American Finance Officers Association (NAFOA)
Native American Journalists Association
Native American Indian Center of Central Ohio
Native American Rights Fund (NARF)
Native Voice Network
Nebraska Commission on Indian Affairs
Nottawaseppi Huron Band of Potawatomi (Michigan)
Not Your Mascots, Inc.
North Carolina Commission of Indian Affairs
North Dakota Indian Education Association
Office of Native American Ministry, Diocese of Grand Rapids (Michigan)
Ohio Center for Native American Affairs
San Bernardino/Riverside Counties Native American Community Council
Seminole Nation of Oklahoma
Society of Indian Psychologists of the Americas
Southern California Indian Center
St. Cloud State University – American Indian Center
Tennessee Chapter of the National Coalition for the Preservation of Indigenous Cultures
Tennessee Commission of Indian Affairs
Tennessee Native Veterans Society
Tulsa Indian Coalition Against Racism
Unified Coalition for American Indian Concerns, Virginia
The United Indian Nations of Oklahoma
Virginia American Indian Cultural Resource Center
Wisconsin Indian Education Association
WIEA "Indian" Mascot and Logo Taskforce 
Woodland Indian Community Center-Lansing 
Youth "Indian" Mascot and Logo Task force 

Some noteworthy republicans have spoken out against our name too

Rep Tom Cole, Chickasaw nation
Rep. Markwayne Mullin Cherokee nation
Senator John McCain
Billy Mills (USA gold medalist and friend of Ronald Reagan)
Ben "nighthorse" Campbell former senator
Charles Krauthamer, syndicated columnist

I'm good. I'm not using them to back an argument. You might want to check.

LOL okay man. 

I'll reach out to them. 

The crazy thing, Boss Hogg is that if all those groups have taken the same negative position on the Redskins' name (which sounds pretty damning) then why on Earth haven't they conducted an internal poll of their own groups and published it. Why not put it out there for once and for all what this population truly feels.

It'd be a great way to shut up the pro-Redskins side.

There's only one reason I can imagine that they haven't done so. They are afraid of the results or got results that they don't like. As I've said before, conducting a poll is cheap. If you already have the population pinned down it's even cheaper. It would cost them relatively nothing, less than 5k probably.

The best argument the pro-side has is Annenburg. It's really, other than Red Mesa, the only good argument the pro side has. Why not kill it with one internal poll? You work with this population. You have their addresses, phone numbers, emails. It'd be the simplest thing in the world to design, administer, and score. There are even countless companies who will do it for you.

If they don't do it there's a reason. As for the pro-side, they could do it again, but every poll ever taken has said has wound up with a pro-Redskin outcome. Why should they bother with another? The only thing it could do is hurt them. The anti-side, if they really want to make their case, needs to make a case.

Anecdotal evidence is always considered weak. More, if these groups really are representative what are they afraid of other than finding out how the group they speak for actually feels?

That's a great idea let's ask the following organizations and tribes about their opinions of our team name:

Affiliated Tribes of Northwest Indians

Cherokee Nation of Oklahoma

Comanche Nation of Oklahoma

Grand Traverse Band of Ottawa and Chippewa Indians

Hoh Indian Tribe

Inter Tribal Council of Arizona

Inter-Tribal Council of the Five Civilized Tribes

Juaneño Band of Mission Indians

Little River Band of Ottawa Indians

Match-E-Be-Nash-She-Wish Band of Pottawatomi Indians, Gun Lake Tribe (

Menominee Tribe of Indians

Oneida Indian Nation

Oneida Tribe of Indians of Wisconsin

Osage Nation

Navajo Nation Council

Penobscot Nation

Poarch Band of Creek Indians

Samish Indian Nation

Sault Ste. Marie Tribe of Chippewa Indians

Shoshone-Bannock Tribes

Standing Rock Sioux Tribe

The Three Affiliated Tribes of the Fort Berthold Indian Reservation

United South and Eastern Tribes (USET)

Advocates for American Indian Children

American Indian Mental Health Association

American Indian Movement[323]

American Indian Opportunities Industrialization Center of San Bernardino County

American Indian Student Services at the Ohio State University

American Indian High Education Consortium

American Indian College Fund

Americans for Indian Opportunity

Association on American Indian Affairs

Buncombe County Native American Inter-tribal Association

Capitol Area Indian Resources

Concerned American Indian Parents

Council for Indigenous North Americans

Eagle and Condor Indigenous Peoples’ Alliance

First Peoples Worldwide

Fontana Native American Indian Center, Inc.

Governor’s Interstate Indian Council

Greater Tulsa Area Indian Affairs Commission

Great Lakes Inter-Tribal Council (Wisconsin)

HONOR – Honor Our Neighbors Origins and Rights

Kansas Association for Native American Education

Maryland Commission on Indian Affairs

Medicine Wheel Inter-tribal Association (Louisiana)

Minnesota Indian Education Association

National Congress of American Indians (NCAI)

National Indian Child Welfare Association

National Indian Education Association

National Indian Youth Council

National Native American Law Student Association

Native American Caucus of the California Democratic Party

Native American Finance Officers Association (NAFOA)

Native American Indian Center of Central Ohio

Native American Rights Fund (NARF)

Native Voice Network

Nebraska Commission on Indian Affairs

Nottawaseppi Huron Band of Potawatomi (Michigan)

Not Your Mascots, Inc.

North Carolina Commission of Indian Affairs

North Dakota Indian Education Association

Office of Native American Ministry, Diocese of Grand Rapids (Michigan)

Ohio Center for Native American Affairs

San Bernardino/Riverside Counties Native American Community Council

Seminole Nation of Oklahoma

Society of Indian Psychologists of the Americas

Southern California Indian Center

St. Cloud State University – American Indian Center

Tennessee Chapter of the National Coalition for the Preservation of Indigenous Cultures

Tennessee Commission of Indian Affairs

Tennessee Native Veterans Society

Tulsa Indian Coalition Against Racism

Unified Coalition for American Indian Concerns, Virginia

The United Indian Nations of Oklahoma

Virginia American Indian Cultural Resource Center

Wisconsin Indian Education Association

WIEA "Indian" Mascot and Logo Taskforce

Woodland Indian Community Center-Lansing

Youth "Indian" Mascot and Logo Task force

Some noteworthy republicans have spoken out against our name too

Rep Tom Cole, Chickasaw nation

Rep. Markwayne Mullin Cherokee nation

Senator John McCain

Billy Mills (USA gold medalist and friend of Ronald Reagan)

Ben "nighthorse" Campbell former senator

Charles Krauthamer, syndicated columnist.

Looks like a lot of Natives....

Along with all Anenburg and Red Mesa is Goddard's piece in the origin of the word, which found it neutral to positive. Which to me is why I wonder why anyone cites dictionary definition. What's their research?

NA's referred to themselves (and not in reverse derogatory fashion) as Redskin. And since it has never been used as a slur.

Billy Mills example and any other I've ever heard has been in derogatory context.

You dirty Redmen, Indian, Chief, Brave, etc. they all work

Archived