Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

Alaskins

Just witnessed my first surprise Redskin name censor on the halftime show of this UCLA-ASU game.

"...of the Washington (clears throat) team from DC"

All of my Redskins stuff has pretty much been slowly been replaced with Nationals stuff.

I'm right with you...ordering my "Nats" Nike tee tonight plus a snapback from hatland.

I feel sorry for those fans, I definitely don't root for emotional distress among our own. I'm glad CC didn't show the worst of it from our perspective. 

That being said, since Snyder likes 'talking to Natives' about the issue, it would be funny to see him face to face with the guy who has the double tomahawk tats on the front of his neck. Danny could clarify his intentions to honor and respect Natives without the media's "filter".  

The curse might just be the real deal Holyfield.

We have had 4 playoff appearances since 1992. If that is a curse then explain these droughts.

The Bengals had 2 playoff appearances between 1988 and 2008.

The Raiders have had 2 seasons with over FIVE wins since 2003, those were both 8-8.

The Cardinals had 2 playoff appearances between 1976 and 2007. 

The Browns have had 2 playoff appearances between 1990 and now. Plus they lost their original team. 

The Lions have had 1 playoff appearance and 2 winning seasons since 2000. Including an 0-16 season.

The Packers had 2 playoff appearances between 1968 and 1992.

The Colts had one playoff appearance between 1978 and 1994.

The Giants had 1 playoff appearance between 1964 and 1983.

The Dolphins have had 1 playoff appearance since 2001.

The Chiefs had 1 playoff appearance between 1971 and 1989.

The Bills have not been to the playoffs since 1999.

The Bears had 2 playoff appearances between 1964 and 1983.

The Jags have had 2 playoff appearances since 1999.

The 49ers had 3 playoff appearances between 1958 and 1980

The Skins only had 3 winning seasons and no playoffs between 1946 and 1970. 

I could go on but you get the point. There is no curse. Teams go through bad times. You could take a detailed look at every one of those teams and find the same sort of misfortune and bad brakes as we have had over the last 20 odd years. Coaching carousels, players getting hurt, draft busts, it has happened to many teams.  

It's time for a change. I've had it, man. I've absolutely have had it.

This is not so much a point whether the team name if offensive or not, it's the fact that the name is now associated with perennial LOSERS, a circus act, which is made fun of by the media on a regular basis.

Spare me the whole "but this name is associated with 3 Super Bowls, blah blah blah"

10 years of good football. That's it. 25 years of suckiness ensued. And thats where we're currently at. And it doesn't seem to be stopping anytime soon.

"But my pappy and my grandpappy have been fans since the beginning...blah blah blah"

Yeah, mine too. And they don't even understand why I put up with this **** year after year. They honestly feel bad for me.

This is not a knock on the older fans, but the honest truth is that your guys' thoughts are getting more and more irrelevant by the year. People born after 91' have witness 23 straight years of losing. These are gonna be the people who make up majority of the fan base in a couple of years anyway, (that is if some haven't already chosen a different team from the get go, which I don't blame them given what they have witnessed from the beginning).

The new generation didn't get to witness the glory days. As I said, the glory days spanned about a decade anyway. Most of us younger folks are embarrassed to even wear Skins gear in public with fear of ridicule.

Again, not that we think the name is racist, but the fact that the name and logo are associated with perennial losers, NFC East basement dwellers, etc etc. Most of us younger folks don't correlate Redskins to winners, because we weren't around when they were.

No team needs a culture change, attitude change, name change more than we do. Another year goes by, another year of "Redskins" being associated with losers.

Just do it already, Snyder.

EDIT: I understand I'm gonna make a lot of enemies here from ES'ers, but I feel like this angle hasn't really been addressed, I just wanted to let my feelings and views out.

We have had 4 playoff appearances since 1992. If that is a curse then explain these droughts.

The Bengals had 2 playoff appearances between 1988 and 2008.

The Raiders have had 2 seasons with over FIVE wins since 2003, those were both 8-8.

The Cardinals had 2 playoff appearances between 1976 and 2007. 

The Browns have had 2 playoff appearances between 1990 and now. Plus they lost their original team. 

The Lions have had 1 playoff appearance and 2 winning seasons since 2000. Including an 0-16 season.

The Packers had 2 playoff appearances between 1968 and 1992.

The Colts had one playoff appearance between 1978 and 1994.

The Giants had 1 playoff appearance between 1964 and 1983.

The Dolphins have had 1 playoff appearance since 2001.

The Chiefs had 1 playoff appearance between 1971 and 1989.

The Bills have not been to the playoffs since 1999.

The Bears had 2 playoff appearances between 1964 and 1983.

The Jags have had 2 playoff appearances since 1999.

The 49ers had 3 playoff appearances between 1958 and 1980

The Skins only had 3 winning seasons and no playoffs between 1946 and 1970. 

I could go on but you get the point. There is no curse. Teams go through bad times. You could take a detailed look at every one of those teams and find the same sort of misfortune and bad brakes as we have had over the last 20 odd years. Coaching carousels, players getting hurt, draft busts, it has happened to many teams.  

yeah.. and i bet there was a sacred tiki associated with each of those...

Gilligan.jpg

well said Prototype. At this juncture the franchise isn't earning new fans by defending the Native theme.

It wouldn't matter if we were winning on the field, the negative stigma ascociated with us would continue to grow like a cancer, the way it already is today, while we're losing.

I said this in last night's GDT. I'm probably out on this team if they change the name. It's the team that I care about. There are very few players on this team I really care about. I like RG3, Morris and Kerrigan. After that, they're pretty much all expendable.

If this group of chumps played under any other name if be out. I root for the Redskins, the team.

I said this in last night's GDT. I'm probably out on this team if they change the name. It's the team that I care about. There are very few players on this team I really care about. I like RG3, Morris and Kerrigan. After that, they're pretty much all expendable.

If this group of chumps played under any other name if be out. I root for the Redskins, the team.

This is where I am at. I am a fan of the Washington Redskins and have been since I was 8. Players and coaches come and go. The colors, the name, and the history are what goes on. The only reason I am still watching this team is because I can look at this mess on on the field and there is still that tie to the team that won Super Bowls when I was growing up. If that tie is broken there is not much reason to continue to watch a perennial loser.

I might be able to tolerate something like Warriors or Braves as long as we kept everything else. If we went full Wizards style reboot I would probably be done. 

Fine,

All of you that want the Washington Redskins to change their longstanding and proud name have finally talked me in supporting the change. However, after careful consideration and all the facts, I come to believe why the name should be changed. Now before I concede I want all of you to know why. It is not because I think the name is racist, it is not because it is derogatory and it is definitely not political as I am not running for office (Yet). It is because these players and former players don’t deserve the right to were that uniform. For the last 15 years the players who have donned the burgundy and gold have disgraced the name. Yes, Mr. Snyder you have some blame in all this too. I am a proud REDSKIN fan but until this team changes its culture they should not be able to wear the colors that I so humbly respect.

Fantastic post, Prototype.  We need a new owner, a new stadium and a new name.  In that order and as soon as possible.  There is no sports franchise with a more tarnished reputation and more in need of a clean slate than us.  There is no positive endgame to the Dan Snyder/Pride and Heritage spin machine.  

The sad truth is that our team is indeed under attack and it's reputation, credibility and heritage are being eaten away at on a daily basis…That attack is coming from Dan Snyder.  He is actively destroying everything good that our franchise has ever stood for and the earth will be scorched before he is done.  This is a far, far greater threat than the name controversy and every single one of us abso-****ing-lutely knows it.  Who is ready to really stand up and defend our franchise from the terror of Snyder's regime…Who's got the guts?

Say for arguments sake that I can say I don't believe the Slur was used to describe the scalped skins, but rather the poor unfortunates that lost their scalp ( The Daily Republican, Winona MN, September 24, 1863 [151 yrs ago]). And that the state "reward" for sending each and every "redskin" to Purgatory was $200.

In arguing that the Slur does not refer to the scalps of Redskins, we are losing sight of the fact that the State actively solicited the murder of entire villages of men, women and children ("..children are nits, and will become lice", General William Harney, 1870), "the first volley from the Hotchkiss guns ( 1.65 inch light machine gun....that fired exploding shells and grapeshot) mowed down scores of women and children....Children as well as women with babes in their arms were brought down as far [away] as two miles", more Medals of Honor - the highest award for bravery that can be given to any individual in the U.S. Army - were conferred for the massacre....than were awarded for any other military action in U.S. history (is this the Honor to which Snyder speaks?).

The whole etymology defense obscures the brutality of the Native American experience at the direction of the U.S leadership in Washington. Having a Slur of questionable benevolence to refer to a team of athletes located in the very same city that ordered these atrocities strikes me as the height of privileged indifference to the pain and suffering of the descendants of the survivors.

Archived