Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

Alaskins

Well, the Jews is one that is obviously a caricature poking fun of Jews, because of the nose.  The chinese one has the slant eyes.  Now if NAs are known to have big teeth, then I would see where you guys are coming from, but I've never heard anything about NAs naturally having big teeth.

Are you color blind? Because if you are, I'm going to feel bad.

Hey man, you're the one who's gone way out on a limb here.  Again, since when is the color of skin off limits when drawing a cartoon?  Would it be less offensive if the Indian had pale skin?

Do you think Natives are actually the same color as a red M&M?

Well, the Jews is one that is obviously a caricature poking fun of Jews, because of the nose. The chinese one has the slant eyes. Now if NAs are known to have big teeth, then I would see where you guys are coming from, but I've never heard anything about NAs naturally having big teeth.

Honestly though, I think that many people, especially those owners who chose to name their teams with NA themes, such as Indians, probably viewed the name as something like Cowboys or Vikings, instead of a racial group.

That Indians logo makes our logo look pretty damn good..

I've always detested the Indians logo.

The Redskins logo was at least designed by a Native American Sioux.

Good stuff.

Was it the profile of a respected Chief/warrior/NA?

I still don't think the name is changing.

What will probably happen is all references to Native Americans will be dropped - logo, feathers, spears, etc.  And we will go back to the big red Lombardi R sans the feathers.

They can even stylize the logo with the curly R:

Washington_Redskins_script_R_logo.gif

Speak for yourself, if you change the name than you can trash everything else.

The name is the flag, you lose that, there are no consolations

Looks like we're pretty far apart on this issue. Get ready for disappointment.

Well, i don't think he was racist because of money. I think he was just racist.

But i think as a businessman trying to do business in the South, he had that aspect to consider as well.

And because he is what he is, he's going to default to whichever he thinks will please the white audience anyway.

~Bang

He was a racist, so he had no aversion to pandering to racists.

I think his racism has little to do with the team's name however.  It was named the Braves because they shared a stadium with the Braves.  It was changed to Redskins because (at least it seems logical) he moved in with the Red Sox and wanted to keep the NA theme.  The Redskins moniker (and NA theme) is hardly unique to this team.  Now the original lyrics to the fight song and some of the spectacles he put on certainly reflect an attitude that was less than racially sensitive.  Still, I think laying the sins of Marshall on the present day team and Dan Snyder is a bit of a stretch.

Well, the Jews is one that is obviously a caricature poking fun of Jews, because of the nose. The chinese one has the slant eyes. Now if NAs are known to have big teeth, then I would see where you guys are coming from, but I've never heard anything about NAs naturally having big teeth

What features would you think unacceptable to exaggerate in making a Native American caricature?

Are you color blind? Because if you are, I'm going to feel bad.

Do you think Natives are actually the same color as a red M&M?

I know that people who overstate things start getting defensive and start throwing insults out when they are wrong, but just use common sense and observe.  Their logo simply matches the red on their uniforms.  Their mascot's color is simply the same color as the bill of their caps, letters, and socks.  It's not some racist plan to make fun of NAs.  They just want their colors to match.

I know that people who overstate things start getting defensive and start throwing insults out when they are wrong, but just use common sense and observe.  Their logo simply matches the red on their uniforms.  Their mascot's color is simply the same color as the bill of their caps, letters, and socks.  It's not some racist plan to make fun of NAs.

If their colors were green and gold, would Chief Wahoo be green?

My brother in law lives in Australia. He likes shopping online in American stores and having it shipped to us, because we can get it to him cheaper. Packages of clothes from all sorts of places arrive every other day or so.

He's color blind.

he's been trying to buy a pair of blue pants for two weeks,,  and we keep getting packages with purple and green ones :D

OK, back to the discussion.

~Bang

Yeah, I'm not sure, but there are definitely similarities. Our logo is nothing like the examples above. Never has been.

Which is why I have no problem with the logo, or any of the Native American imagery if done respectfully.  Chief Wahoo is a disgrace, which is why Cleveland has been quietly putting him out to pasture (without announcing it).  He's is no longer on the hat, he has all but disappeared from their stadium, he is almost gone from their official website.   Cleveland is playing it smart, and letting us take the heat while they do it.

I still have a problem with the word "redskin."  

Which is why I have no problem with the logo, or any of the Native American imagery if done respectfully.  Chief Wahoo is a disgrace, which is why Cleveland has been quietly putting him out to pasture (without announcing it).  He's is no longer on the hat, he has all but disappeared from their stadium, he is almost gone from their official website.   Cleveland is playing it smart, and letting us take the heat while they do it.

They should have made him blue.

Archived