Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

Alaskins

I was listening to Bill Simmons' podcast yesterday on NFC predictions. He mentioned he was not going to use Redskins anymore - just call us Washington. I don't care about Bill Simmons opinions, but he does have a pretty big following.

funny what bill simmons said about 'the washington team' after week 3 last year-

Washington’s the worst NFC team, it looks like, unless you want to make a case for the Rams. I think the Rams, tough spot last week in Chicago, but the Rams aren’t terrible.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2012/09/27/bill-simmons-asks-if-the-redskins-are-the-nfcs-worst-team/

i dont know anything about simmons, but, at this point, i pretty much consider any media member a lazy, pandering, ignorant cowardly douche for not having either the sense to research the name or the guts to take a currently unpopular stance if he actually knows anything about how native americans actually view the term.

things will stay this way until someone in the media speaks up. danny rouhier appeared to start doing so not too long ago, but hasnt said much since. 

somebody needs to grow a pair, educate themselves and speak the hell up. 

Thinking out loud:

Every time Wise or someone of his ilk go on another crusade, I've always been kind enough to tweet them the link to the Native American College fund because it's a worthy cause that is near and dear to their heart, Of course non of them reply because they don't really want to do anything concrete but what if Redskins fans that are sick to death of having this non issue shoved down our throats got together to make a mass donation. We'd be contributing to a very worthy cause, potentially raise awareness and expose people like Wise as the frauds they are. So many NA reservations are poverty stricken and instead of helping them people like Wise use them to either get their name out there or further the agenda.

The name *WILL* be changed because it is an epithet. The sooner the better. People who don't like it can follow the Ravens (remember how dumb that name sounded at first).

As all intelligent people have been saying for years.

END*OF*STORY

The name *WILL* be changed because it is an epithet. The sooner the better. People who don't like it can follow the Ravens (remember how dumb that name sounded at first).

END*OF*STORY

The name is not an epitaph.  And is not offensive.  These are facts. 

As you would have known, if you'd bothered to even read this thread. 

But please feel free to keep spouting things that aren't true.  I'm certain that, in places where people aren't aware of the facts, they may gain some traction. 

(Unfortunately for you, this isn't one of those places.) 

----------

And, as to your attempt to prop up your delusions by claiming with "As all intelligent people have been saying for years." . . . ? 

90% of Native Americans say that the name of the Washington Redskins is not offensive. 

You claiming that we're all dumb? 

thats ironic. 

seriously, if you'd bothered to do a little research (its the internet. you can figure it out), you would know better. 

sheep.

END*OF*STORY

go away troll...you have zero posts.  wtf?  What kind of entry is this?(miss multiple smilies...)

END*OF*STORY

The closed and tiny mind of the righteous..  ah, how much trouble has that caused over the centuries?

Your willful ignorance in the disguise of enlightenment is amazing, breathtaking, and a disheartening indictment of the 'intelligence' of humanity.

~Bang

END*OF*STORY

Why yes, it is, for kunia50. Rule 12.  :)

(I'm not much of a foot-dragger. Even the van I live in down by the river is free of mold.)

END*OF*STORY

I always thought Ravens was a cool name... an actual tie to the CITY's history and cultural background, dark and sinister...what more could you ask for?

and it seems likely to me, also, that the redskin name eventually will be changed.

but jeez... it would've been very hard for you to make your simple points in a more jackassed way if being a jackass was your sole intent and purpose... presentation matters.

well, the obvious thing he could have done to protest the name would have been to go be a ravens fan himself.

But it's probably better to make everyone else change to suit him.

Just waitin' on the world to grow up is getting tiresome.

~Bang

Please god....make it stop.   :rolleyes:

NY Tribe Launching Radio Ad Against Redskins

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/ny-tribe-launching-radio-ad-redskins-20162009

I disagree with them, but if anyone has a right to say whether they think it's offensive, it would be a Native American tribe.  It's Wise and his ilk that irritate me.  I don't like faux outrage and being told I should be offended for others who mostly are not.

Please god....make it stop.   :rolleyes:

NY Tribe Launching Radio Ad Against Redskins

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/ny-tribe-launching-radio-ad-redskins-20162009

Actually, I want to thank you for posting this. 

I clicked on the link, fully expecting to see that it isn't a tribe, protesting the name, it's two guys.  But at least based on that story, the thing looks legit. 

This may actually be the first legitimate point from the "change the name" side, in this whole campaign.  Glad to see that they've finally got something to stand on. 

Why yes, it is, for kunia50. Rule 12. :)

(I'm not much of a foot-dragger. Even the van I live in down by the river is free of mold.)

I did think that the avatar photo he picked, combined with his sole contribution to the board, was rather Zen.

Let me start by saying that I'm someone who is very pro-Redskin and understands the history of the name. I have to admit though, if more legitimate opposition comes out (actual tribes of Native Americans instead of local columnists) and give their side of the story, it would be much easier to get behind a name change.

What's bothered me the most is that this has been a couple people (some not even Native Americans) telling a lot of people what should offend them. I figured it was all smoke and no fire. If that changes and Native American groups can show Snyder and the NFL why the name is offensive (by that I mean disprove the Redskins' stated history of the name), then changing the name should 100% be on the table.

So this tribe is in upstate New York.

i wonder if they protest the Bills?

they say in the article that they do not deserve to be called "Redskins", which they're not, but no sense debating that.

I wonder if they feel their ancestors deserved what Buffalo Bill did to their people's way of life?

i wonder if they even realize that they should even wonder?

~Bang

I know you are joking, but I will put money on the fact it was him. He could have used any other name, but he went with a Hawaiian name. If that was him, then we got him where we want him. Nothing says I am right more than trolling a message board. lol

I don't care who it was (big shock) but I will tell you this: any idiot that might think "oh, fartcat was nailed because of his viewpoint" better not do it in a post or their pod will also be jettisoned into the great abyss without a moment's hesitation.  :)

So this tribe is in upstate New York.

i wonder if they protest the Bills?

they say in the article that they do not deserve to be called "Redskins", which they're not, but no sense debating that.

I wonder if they feel their ancestors deserved what Buffalo Bill did to their people's way of life?

i wonder if they even realize that they should even wonder?

~Bang

See, this is where I start to think we are getting over-defensive.

NA groups are allowed to be offended. I don't think we should stoop to the UnWise Mike level and tell them what should and should not offend them. Why they didn't "choose" to be offended by the Bills is irrelevant if they are offended by the Redskins.

Little info about Ray Halbritter

"

Internal governance issues[edit source | editbeta]

According to Shenandoah v. United States DOI, 159 F.3d 708, (2d Cir. 1998), there are serious questions as to the legitimacy and authority of Ray Halbritter to act on behalf of the Oneida Indian Nation of New York. Specifically, “In 1977, members of the Oneida Nation appointed Halbritter and two other Nation members as interim representatives of the Nation. On April 25, 1993, the Grand Council, consisting of representatives from all six Iroquois nations, including the Oneida Nation, purported to remove Halbritter from his position as interim Nation representative. The Department acknowledged the removal on August 10, 1993, but the next day stayed its acknowledgment pending BIA review. After requesting the Nation to conduct a referendum to select a representative, the Department agreed to Halbritter's proposal to submit "statements of support" from Nation members. On February 4, 1994, the Department notified Halbritter that it would continue to recognize him as the Nation's permanent representative until such time as he resigned or was removed by the Nation in accordance with certain procedures. According to plaintiffs, on May 21, 1995, the Nation once again removed Halbritter from his position as Oneida representative. Although informed of Halbritter's alleged second removal, the Department had not acted upon that notification by the time of oral argument, and as of the time of this opinion, we have received no information to the contrary.”"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oneida_Indian_Nation

Archived