Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

Alaskins

It's just too bad not one of them urging a name boycott has bothered to actually talk with Native Americans about the subject or, at the very least, consider the results from the last polling of Native Americans on the subject, or even consider why there isn't as much of an uproar from the Native American community save for a vocal few if the name were so blatantly racist, as is the claim

Or, you know, do literally anything else at all to support the NA community. This is easy and requires almost no effort, whereas donating time, effort, or money to literally any type of NA charity or community would be an inconvenience.

Nah, instead they'll just beat this drum until they "win," then pat themselves on the back for making the world a better place due to their efforts. And once that's done, they'll go back to completely ignoring Native Americans and their cause.

But, you know, I'm cynical like that.

from the article-

And the nation’s capital is still home to the Redskins, the most offensive mascot of all. The term dates to the colonial era, when bounties were offered for killing Native Americans. Bounty hunters presented bloody skins and scalps as evidence of an Indian kill.

that is factually 100% incorrect. but it never let the post get in the way of a good op-ed piece before.....

Well, it's kinda true.

The term does date to colonial periods. (That was, after all, when the white folk met the injuns.).

And there were bounty hunters. (Later).

So, it's more of a case of two sentences which are individually true, strung together in an attempt to make people think they said <Sentence 3>, which is not true.

Now, reading the article, I get to :

As the start of the NFL season draws near, I’ve got a question for you: How is the Chink any worse than the Redskin, the feather-clad mascot of Washington’s pro football franchise?

And the response that occurs to me is "one is an offensive racal epitaph, and the other isn't?"

When it happens...We keep the colors, we keep the records...the Hall of Famers, the Superbowls, the history.

And we get to wait for just the right time to re-invent ourselves,  Until the last, best possible moment.

RoughRiders.

Rangers.  This one would really stick it to the Cow***s.

Revolution.

I wanna keep the R.

30b3ak4.jpg

When it happens...We keep the colors, we keep the records...the Hall of Famers, the Superbowls, the history.

And we get to wait for just the right time to re-invent ourselves,  Until the last, best possible moment.

RoughRiders.

Rangers.  This one would really stick it to the Cow***s.

Revolution.

I wanna keep the R.

Call 'em the Rebels, and I bet Virginia would spend their entire state budget building them a newer stadium that's bigger than JerryWorld.

:)

How does UnWise Mike look in the mirror every morning?  What a piece of **** article that was.  Couldn't even get through the whole thing.

I've by and large stayed out of this thread, but I know this sentiment must have been stated here before me...but I really hate that all of this has come about because we've got one of the hottest QBs in the league and are now relevant again.  It's so ****ing disingenuous, it's sick.

You realize that most of the time this thread has nothing happen in it until you bring in another of your "it never seems to go away" posts, right?

it goes away.. and then you bring it back.

same as the rest of the world,,  no one gives a **** until Wise or one of his douchebag cronies who are desperately trying to be relevant bring it up.

it would certainly go away, but someone keeps bringing it back up. And it's always the same clowns bringing it up and then asking us why it won't go away.

quit hittin' yerself, why you smackin' yourself?

i used to do that to my little sister when i was about 7 or 8.

Tell me the difference between me being an 8 year old little twerp holding my sister's wrists and making her smack herself and this 'it never goes away' business..

~Bang

ouch! The truth hurts, especially when it's an attack on somebody we love.  

associate CZ with so many good times, my oldest memory being when he lifted me up and held me in his arms at the Minn playoff game in '83. I was 5, he was 42. We've toasted many times over the years at ES tailgates, the best one being at Dallas in '06. Now that I know it was his final visit to Dallas, it makes that day even more sacred to me. Never mind the awful game we saw that night.

I feel deeply conflicted about Zema today. I still love the guy and everything he has stood for with the Burgundy & Gold. I don't expect him to change, nor do I really want him to. However, I know that change is inevitable with the times. When Zema finally hangs up his headdress for the last time, nobody shall replace the legend.

Lol at the UnWise Mike on ES conspiracy. I'm not him. I doubt he has time for football message boards. I sure as hell don't have time for the other boring topics he covers. i.e. Wizards, Caps, MD football, etc.

I'm just a fan of the B&G.  My obsession with this topic is a result of my longing to someday move past it. 

Just as some of the media have chosen to not call them "Redskins", if the name ever does get changed, i will not accept the name change, I will not buy new gear and I will not refer to them with their new name. I begrudglingly accepted "Wizards" and I still hate calling them that. I don't own any Wizards crap, but I have kept all my Bullets stuff. I will always call them Redskins until the day I die. If that makes me a stubborn jerk, so be it. Hi, I'm the stubborn Jerk "REDSKIN" fan.

Lol at the UnWise Mike on ES conspiracy. I'm not him. I doubt he has time for football message boards. I sure as hell don't have time for the other boring topics he covers. i.e. Wizards, Caps, MD football, etc.

I'm just a fan of the B&G.  My obsession with this topic is a result of my longing to someday move past it. 

Your obsession has absolutely nothing to do with it.  You've become an antagonizer who bumps this thread on an "Redskins" forum to get nothing more than a rise out of other posters.  You've become what people in the internet age refer to as an troll.

And if you want the truth about Wise he started this crusade the moment his popularity in the area started to dwindle.  It's a sad and pathetic attempt for a writer who has burned just about every bridge in this area to stay somewhat relevant. 

**** UnWise Mike. Regardless of your feelings on the name, the smug tone and the way he talks down to Chef Zee is infuriating to read.

I was listening to Bill Simmons' podcast yesterday on NFC predictions. He mentioned he was not going to use Redskins anymore - just call us Washington. I don't care about Bill Simmons opinions, but he does have a pretty big following.

Your obsession has absolutely nothing to do with it.  You've become an antagonizer who bumps this thread on an "Redskins" forum to get nothing more than a rise out of other posters.  You've become what people in the internet age refer to as an troll.

I bump this thread when there is a new story, or opinion offered in the local/national media. I don't bump what I don't deem relevant to the thread title. If our forum members weren't interested in this topic, the thread would have died long ago, and the mods wouldn't have felt the need to create an all inclusive thread title. If our mod staff feels that I'm trolling, they'll notify me and discipline me accordingly. Until then, I'll keep playing by the rules.

I bump this thread when there is a new story, or opinion offered in the local/national media. I don't bump what I don't deem relevant to the thread title. If our forum members weren't interested in this topic, the thread would have died long ago, and the mods wouldn't have felt the need to create an all inclusive thread title. If our mod staff feels that I'm trolling, they'll notify me and discipline me accordingly. Until then, I'll keep playing by the rules.

It's not relevant, it's UnWise Mike article after UnWise Mike article at this point.  He feels so guilty for the way Native Americans have been treated yet his only crusade is to change the name of a sports franchise?  Boy, what a real difference he's making...

Archived