Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

Alaskins

I thought that read zone article (about the deadspin peice on 28 and 81) was spot on. (I'd link it but I'm on my ipone and I suck at using it)

It discusses the meaning of the word, the nuttiness of people screaming "it's a slur!" Rather than saying "some think its a slur, most absolutely do not", and the bizarre insistance of dead spin to interpret (incorrectly) what 28 and 81 actually said.

Nice to see an objective (I think) source talking sense about the subject.

Refreshing. Almost gives me hope.

Well, let me do it for you.

This article is great, and everyone, not just those riding the fence, should read it.

http://thereadzone.com/2013/06/28/the-washington-redskins-name-change-controversy-is-redskins-actually-offensive/

This is what that ass Wise wrote:

"The other day, a friend mentioned that Harjo had first filed suit for trademark infringement in 1992, the year of the team’s last Super Bowl victory. The Redskins have won nothing of merit since. They have three playoff victories in the past 21 years. Snyder’s tenure has mostly been forgettable. And whenever momentum builds and the future seems bright, like last year with Griffin, it’s always ripped heartlessly away in some fashion.

Until this organization does right by Harjo and her people, I wouldn’t be surprised if bad karma follows. “Please don’t call this the Harjo Curse,” she begged me after Thursday’s hearing. “Oh, don’t do that to me.” No? Okay. I like this better anyway: The Curse of the Code Talker’s Daughter.

Until it is broken, until the name is changed, this town never sees another Lombardi Trophy."

I saved this line for when the Skins are hoisting the trophy in a few years,

Wonder what kind of Karma the Cowboys are paying since they haven't done anything of note since 1995. 

Teams like the Browns, Falcons, Seahawks, Eagles, etc must really be in the Karma doghouse. 

Goodell fielded some questions on Mike & Mike today...about the Redskins name and if its similar or in the same category of what Riley Cooper said.  Again, he defended the name, its heritage, and its association with respect:

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=9527955

Seriously, when the hell was the last time anybody heard the word "Redskins" used in the same context as the word "******?"

And to clarify for the intentionally dense in this thread, I mean: When was the last time you heard somebody call somebody of NA descent a "Redskin" in an angry/derogatory/dehumanizing manner? I've heard the N-word used in such a manner many times in my life, and I'm under the age of 30. But I've never once heard the term "Redskin" used in such a way.

Wow, Doyle is a piece of work on his moral high horse. Isn't it nice that anyone with a keyboard can't just throw around the word "Racist" to everyone and not know anything of that person? I'd like to see someone put a foot in Doyle's ass. He reminds me of someone that you would engage in a debate and he'd put his hands on his ears and start shouting, "la, la, la...racist, la, la, la..racist." Seriously, he sounds so juvenile, he makes the 30 year old "I want to go to the Lake woman," sound mature. Good to know people like him can stand the nosebleeds from their mountain top. What a jerk.

You know he used to work for the Observer, right? And he used to be a fill-in host on Packers show. He was AWFUL. Can't believe the guy ever landed the job he has now. He is clueless.

Well I guess its some kind idiosyncrasy, I'm mexican, I'm really proud about my roots, I don't get mad when I see the aztecs on college football, the indians on MLB, or the browns on NFL, my skin is brown, when I saw the redskins logo and the colors so many years ago I knew that team will be my team until I die because it makes me feel proud to see some representation.

Same with San Diego Aztecs (?) I mean, c'mon, the name reflects courage, tradition, legends.

It depends the angle you see the topic. I guess ...

Hail to the REDSKINS.

PD I mention the Browns because even when the name is refered to a person, sooner or later a jerk will come to attack the name because can offend the skin brown people, jez!

, I'm mexican, I'm really proud about my roots, I don't get mad when I see the aztecs on college foo

Well ... I'm really proud about my roots, (snip) when I saw the redskins logo and the colors so many years ago I knew that team will be my team until I die because it makes me feel proud to see some representation.

Same with San Diego Aztecs (?) I mean, c'mon, the name reflects courage, tradition, legends.

It depends the angle you see the topic. I guess ...

Hail to the REDSKINS.

PD I mention the Browns because even when the name is refered to a person, sooner or later a jerk will come to attack the name because can offend the skin brown people, jez!

To me, this is a major point that people seem to be missing.  First, they want to tell others what they should feel offended by... rather than seeing if people are offended and then responding.  Secondly, how is the name being portrayed?  Is there anything in the colors, logo or anything that is cartoonish, stereotypical, offensive???

Heck, I think having a minuteman hiking a football is more questionable than a profile of a native American.  What the revolutionists were doing was not a game, right?  Should we trivilize it?  (I'm kidding, but you get the point)

I am open to the possibility that the term Redskins and the name Redskins is offensive, hurtful and harmful.  If it is proven to be to even a sizable minority... then we probably should dump it.  However, there seems to be more support and frankly, it seems that as far as our native cultures go, we ignore them except for things like this.  This at least keeps them on the radar.  Maybe that's why some Native Americans bring it up because no one seems to give a damn about the significant problems and at least this shines something of a light towards their community.

Did I see both b Mitch and Michael Jenkins ranting about how the name is disparaging this morning on csn live?

B Mitch has always been a dolt with a napoleon complex and diarrhea of the mouth with a constant need to tell everyone what a tough guy he is, so I don't expect intelligent analysis.

But come on Jenkins! You're allegedly a smart, contrarian guy. Educate yourself before spouting off, douche.

Grego, I just saw the same thing lol...

I caught the last minute or so but think I got the jist or it.

Seriously, how many times do we have to hear the same ignorant arguments? When native Americans are calling their own sports teams "redskins", you do not get to go on rants on tv about how insensitive the team is, or how "obviously racist" the name is.

Wise has an agenda, as do many others, but Jenkins should know better.

Some people thought this would all go away once camp broke.

It'll be around as long as white people look for things to make themselves feel better.

Or until someone starts interviewing actual native Americans about it. (Crazy, I know)

Or politicians need a fake, self serving cause du jour.

But I expect it will dwindle in a few weeks when there's actual football news.

It will not go away until the name changes.  Just wait until the Redskins make a Superbowl run; you think the drumbeat for a name change is bad now; it will be 10 times as bad then.

The name will change at some point when Snyder will no longer make money off the name.  That could come via mandate from the NFL or more likely the government makes it impossible for Snyder to make anymore money.

I am just enjoy the resurgence of the Redskins and when that day comes when Snyder announces he has to change the name because of X,Y and Z; I'll live with it.

http://www.slate.com/articles/sports/sports_nut/2013/08/washington_redskins_nickname_why_slate_will_stop_referring_to_the_nfl_team.html

"This is the last Slate article that will refer to the Washington NFL team as the Redskins.

For decades, American Indian activists and others have been asking, urging, and haranguing the Washington Redskins to ditch their nickname, calling it a racist slur and an insult to Indians. "

The skins are on the wrong side of the politically correct movement. Sadly its only going to get worse every year for them. The truth rarely matters in situations like this, its all about perception and people not wanting to be on the "wrong" side of things.

from the article - "More than 20 years ago, Washington Postcolumnist Tony Kornheiser, no politically correct squish,"

look, i listen to the TK show every day, despite the fact that i dont always agree with him, especially politically, but hes a flaming liberal, who i would say is generally on the politically correct side of things regarding social issues. 

Rdskns2000, on 08 Aug 2013 - 09:20, said:

It will not go away until the name changes. Just wait until the Redskins make a Superbowl run; you think the drumbeat for a name change is bad now; it will be 10 times as bad then.

The name will change at some point when Snyder will no longer make money off the name. That could come via mandate from the NFL or more likely the government makes it impossible for Snyder to make anymore money.

I am just enjoy the resurgence of the Redskins and when that day comes when Snyder announces he has to change the name because of X,Y and Z; I'll live with it.

Well if the name won't change until it no longer makes any money I guess we don't have anything to worry about because that won't happen in our lifetimes

Well, I get the impression that the media has decided to get involved on one side of this issue.  (And I can kinda understand why.  It's a profession where being perceived or labeled as being even slightly racially insensitive can damage one's career, for life.) 

I'm starting to believe that the writing (or the op-ed, or the blogging, or the video) is on the wall, and the media is gonna keep reciting the same talking points that haven't been true for Harjo, for 20 years.  And, a few years from now, the media is going to change people's minds, so that the untrue things they're repeating will become the Truth. 

They're simply going to claim that it's offensive and racist, until people agree that it is. 

The facts aren't important, when you have the power to create facts. 

at least the slate article acknowledges their are high school teams named 'redskins' (conveniently leaving out the fact that some of them are native american). and even notes the term may be 'only a bit' offensive- a far cry from the 'obvious slur' that most make it out to be.

Archived