Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

Alaskins

The name ain't changing. Period. We all know this. The NFL makes way too much money off of the Redskins and the rivalries in the NFC East to even think about forcing Snyder to change the name for more than a second. The NFL is the closest thing to FIFA in this country. They get anything and everything they want. That is the way of America and it ain't gonna change because a few vocal groups get their fifteen minutes.

With that said I think its fun to discuss name changes. What about the Washington Apaches? After the AH-64 helicopter. They could put a shark mouth on the helmet like fighter aircraft. That would be cool!

I have decided that Dan Snyder should just go full heel & change the name. He should come storming out to a press conference piping mad. Unbutton his first couple of shirt buttons & his blazer. Then, scream into the mic (best Vince McMahon voice)"YOU'RE FIRRRRRED!" Then proceed to tear down all the Redskins decorations in a fit of rage. He'll then huff & puff his way to the podium & anounce..."from now onnnn....we will be named The Washington Calvary! Our team motto will be 'Manifest Destiny' to conquer from Division to Division. & our mascot will be Custer on a calvary steed with his sword in one hand, & playing a bugle in the other!!!"

- Drops the mic & jaunts off

The name ain't changing. Period. We all know this. The NFL makes way too much money off of the Redskins and the rivalries in the NFC East to even think about forcing Snyder to change the name for more than a second. The NFL is the closest thing to FIFA in this country. They get anything and everything they want. That is the way of America and it ain't gonna change because a few vocal groups get their fifteen minutes.

With that said I think its fun to discuss name changes. What about the Washington Apaches? After the AH-64 helicopter. They could put a shark mouth on the helmet like fighter aircraft. That would be cool!

This guy is on the opposite side of the issue from me, but this is a strong post.  

Concise, pragmatic, pertinent.  He doesn't waste time talking about his broken heart or a high school in Idaho.  He doesn't accuse people of reverse racism or question one's fanhood.  Comes out confident, touches on the economics, drops a sweet analogy with FIFA, waves the Flag and…then entertains the idea of a name change, smartly.

Apaches would be sweet…Hail.

"Nobody would like to see a name change more than me". - Sally Jenkins in her WaPo item written from NY.

My only response to this is that I hope people just hammer her on twitter and the comments of her article for this.

and I'm one of the guys who's basically accepted a change will happen. This won't last through the appeals process. The NFL will be "forced" to "force" the Redskins name change through threats to their anti-trust exemption. But nobody wants it changed more than an old white lady who made a career partially writing about the franchise for such a long time with no issue of the name? Uhhhh, no.

Check out Harry Reid politician Facebook page. Redskins fans are giving it to him. lol

Even Joe Scarborough was giving him all kinds of sarcastic hell for the Redskins tickets he's received from lobbyists, LOL...right on the heels of the article declaring that "Reid Won't Accept Redskins Tickets"...

How many is "quite a few?" Is it the majority? Maybe they should have worked on finding an answer before letting their righteous indignation run amok.

Is it relevant if it's only a minority?  Being a majority doesn't necessarily validate one's position.  This just in, the majority has often been on the wrong side of a lot of things.  

The irony of this decision is that now piraters and even legit manufacturers could have an absolutely free hand to make burgundy and gold t-shirts with the word REDSKINS blazened upon it with a free hand.  They would probably sell it more cheaply than the NFL gear so you might see the word REDSKINS become much more plentiful without the respectful logo.

The irony of this decision is that now piraters and even legit manufacturers could have an absolutely free hand to make burgundy and gold t-shirts with the word REDSKINS blazened upon it with a free hand.  They would probably sell it more cheaply than the NFL gear so you might see the word REDSKINS become much more plentiful without the respectful logo.

They can't do it yet because of the appeal process. But if the appeal is denied, it's open season for sure.

1) I was speaking mainly in terms of "chops" and "chants"

2) That's their opinion and it's childish just to dismiss it

Totally agree.

The NAs that I've talked too (my sister in law and her family, being a full-blooded Yakima)  are not offended by the name, but her and her family HATE the tomahawk chop, Chief Osceola, the Seminole and Brave war chant... hate it.

But the interesting thing, her family's tribe is from Oregon and a lot of them are Redskins fans because of "Redskin". 

I can't help but wonder why Harry Reid isn't heading some committee that could help Indians get more land back from the US government? I don't see how changing the name of some football team is really going to help their cause.

He'd never get anybody to support that.  NA would get the "yeah, that kind sucks you lost all your land, but it's too late now" treatment. Way too much effort and backbone required. This name business on the other hand is low hanging fruit.

They can't do it yet because of the appeal process. But if the appeal is denied, it's open season for sure.

Well yes and no. The logo is still trademarked. The name however, could be used freely IF the appeal is denied.

I bet a lot more Indigenous Americans are offended by Andrew Jackson's face on the $20 bill than by our team name. Can you imagine Congo putting King Leopold's mug on their currency, or Armenia putting Mustafa Kemal? How about changing that Harry Reid and the senator from Red People.

Well yes and no. The logo is still trademarked. The name however, could be used freely IF the appeal is denied.

Common Law still gives the Redskins and the NFL ground to sue you.  It's a global brand.  Just because the trademark would no longer receive federal protection doesn't mean anyone can sell Redskins gear.    The brand is way to established for that.   

http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=9689220&i=FB&w=1e4fj&src=desktop&rand=ref~%7B%22ref%22%3A%22https%3A%2F%2Fm.facebook.com%22%7D&wjb

I guess this is where I'm supposed to fall in line and do what every other American sports writer is doing. I'm supposed to swear I won't ever write the words "Washington Redskins" anymore because it's racist and offensive and a slap in the face to all Native Americans who ever lived. Maybe it is.

I just don't quite know how to tell my father-in-law, a Blackfeet Indian. He owns a steak restaurant on the reservation near Browning, Mont. He has a hard time seeing the slap-in-the-face part.

"The whole issue is so silly to me," says Bob Burns, my wife's father and a bundle holder in the Blackfeet tribe. "The name just doesn't bother me much. It's an issue that shouldn't be an issue, not with all the problems we've got in this country."

Yep. Snyder should have seen which way the wind was blowing ages ago, gotten in front of the story and turned a negative into a positive. Reactionary moron.

Absolutely. No excuse for a supposedly brilliant businessman to not see this coming more than a decade ago. If he's on top of this issue 10 years ago, it's an easy win. Probably 5 years ago. Still likely winnable 2 years ago. Now? Too late, he's lost it.

You stomp out the snowball before it starts rolling downhill. You don't wait until it's an avalanche to stop it. And let's be honest, he's still doing a terrible job fighting this battle, apart from being too late to it.

I guess they need to change the Kansas City Chiefs, Chicago Blackhawks, and Cleveland Indians teams too.  Oh and btw I live in NY now and I'm tall so the NY Giants offends me...*snap snap* please have their name changed thanks.

Oh another thing, I'm a former military serviceman that served 6 years in the Air Force as an Explosive Ordnance Disposal Tech Team Leader and the Chicago Blackhawks fans yelling during the National Anthem offends me so we need to take care of that.

Also, come to think of it....wasn't it the Native Americans that took a part in the actual naming of the Washington Redskins team?  Now it offends them and they want it changed??

This is pretty much an outrage.  Hell, even the Redskins theme song has "Hail to the Redskins" and "Braves on the Warpath" and "Fight for old DC" in the song.  How are we trying to offend them?  It's more like PRAISING them to me.

Archived