• Blog Entries

• By JimmiJo in ES Coverage
      ES Coverage Cowboys vs Redskins 2019

9/15/19

Do I look like I'm playing? I'm not playing. This is the Washington Redskins versus the Dallas Cowboys. If you are a fan of this game, and this one does not get you excited you might want to check your pulse.

Hello my friends it is I, JimmiJo, back for another year of this wonderful thing we call Redskins Football. This makes season 14 for me. I am joined by The Spaceman Spiff who will hereafter be known as "The Spaceman Spiff." 

Where's that dude that gets the big tattoos on his back? There's his next one.

So how important is this game? I don't know. What is the different between 1-1 and 0-2? The difference between batting .500 and zippy?

Throw in that this is their 2nd division game to start the year AND a home game and you have a critical match.

And once again they contend with critical injuries to start the year. Last year it was  their rookie star running back. This year its their 2nd year star...well you get the rest.  Darrius Guice is gone and not coming back this year. I think this really hurts him moving forward. Not sure who will build a scheme around him given his first two seasons.

So it is down to the veteran Adrian Peterson. I have no worries of ring rust for hum. None whatsoever. He knows what to do.

Anyway, almost time. Please share your thoughts.

Stand by...

Inactives

The Redskins declared the following players as inactive:
      o   No. 12 QB Colt McCoy
      o   No. 23 CB Quinton Dunbar
      o   No. 31 Fabian Moreau
      o   No. 64 C Ross Pierschbacher
      o   No. 67 G Wes Martin
      o   No. 86 TE Jordan Reed
      o   No. 93 DT Jonathan Allen

The Cowboys declared the following players as inactive:
      o   No. 10 WR Tavon Austin
      o   No. 37 S Donovan Wilson
      o   No. 57 LB Luke Gifford
      o   No. 61 C Adam Redmond
      o   No. 69 G Brandon Knight
      o   No. 79 DT Trysten Hill
      o   No. 97 DE Taco Charlton

Follow along in-game at Twitter @Skinscast 

Alaskins

The Official ES Redskins Name Change Thread---All Things Related to Changing the Team's Name Go Here

Probably nothing.  They're getting paid.  Ultimately, the players are mercenaries.  They'll play for whoever drafted them (because they don't have a choice) or whoever will pay them.

The game-changer would be if Robert came out and said publicly that the name was offensive.  That would probably upset the apple cart.  

But he's too damn smart to do that.  He'd alienate a part of the fan base.  

Otherwise, I don't think the players are going to get really worked up over it.  If they changed the logo to a potato, the name to the spuds tomorrow, I'm pretty sure that they'd still play just as hard

I'm not so sure.   We've all seen what distractions can do to a football team.    I have a feeling this will de-rail us on the field eventually.   Players could get very sick of answering questions about it or having opponents and their fans use the name against them.   It's my chief concern.

Based on the names, the Cleveland Indians

CHANGE THE NAME!!!

Hey, I'd support that too.  I subscribe to opinion that no race of people should be used as a mascot.  

But you notice they're moving away from the old Chief Wahoo logo.  It's just Indians with a big C now.  

Part of the Redskins problem is the logo in conjunction with the name.  I honestly believe if they had a different logo that wasn't obviously a Native American and the name wasn't clearly linked with the logo, a lot of this wouldn't be happening.  Some of it would, but a lot wouldn't.  Indians and Chiefs and things like that are pretty blatant and obvious, but I question whether most people would even know what Redskins referred to if left to their own devices. 

I'm not so sure.   We've all seen what distractions can do to a football team.    I have a feeling this will de-rail us on the field eventually.   Players could get very sick of answering questions about it or having opponents and their fans use the name against them.   It's my chief concern.

Maybe.  I'm guessing that for the time being it's just noise.

The real question is will FAs decide that they don't want to answer the questions, and go elsewhere even if the offer by the 'Skins is higher. 

I tend to think players will take the money. 

I don't think that the name thing is going to affect the team on the field yet.  

But, as i posted PAGES ago, I think that it's time for Snyder to wave the white flag and change the name.  Not because the name is offensive, or the "other side" has a legitimate point, but because eventually he's going to get forced to do it.  And might as well do it on your own terms if you're going to have to do it anyway. And it would remove the controversy.

it makes me sad that a minority of political figures are forcing this because they have nothing better to do.

Maybe.  I'm guessing that for the time being it's just noise.

The real question is will FAs decide that they don't want to answer the questions, and go elsewhere even if the offer by the 'Skins is higher. 

I tend to think players will take the money. 

I don't think that the name thing is going to affect the team on the field yet.  

But, as i posted PAGES ago, I think that it's time for Snyder to wave the white flag and change the name.  Not because the name is offensive, or the "other side" has a legitimate point, but because eventually he's going to get forced to do it.  And might as well do it on your own terms if you're going to have to do it anyway. And it would remove the controversy.

it makes me sad that a minority of political figures are forcing this because they have nothing better to do.

It's been very hard to be a Redskin fan.   The onfield product sucks, the game day experience at the stadium sucks, the owner makes questionable decisions at seemingly every turn, and now the PC police has set their sights on the damn name of the team.  Just can't seem to catch a break.

And now other NFL players are writing articles and blogs and being quoted as if the name is, in fact, without a doubt, racist.   When's the tide going to turn?    We are starting to drown.

Hey, I'd support that too.  I subscribe to opinion that no race of people should be used as a mascot.  

But you notice they're moving away from the old Chief Wahoo logo.  It's just Indians with a big C now.  

Part of the Redskins problem is the logo in conjunction with the name.  I honestly believe if they had a different logo that wasn't obviously a Native American and the name wasn't clearly linked with the logo, a lot of this wouldn't be happening.  Some of it would, but a lot wouldn't.  Indians and Chiefs and things like that are pretty blatant and obvious, but I question whether most people would even know what Redskins referred to if left to their own devices. 

The logo by itself is absolutely no offensive. If I'm not mistaken, it was actually designed by a native american, and is one of the most artistic logos in all of sports.  

The name might be offensive with or without the name.  

The two most offensive native american things in sports are the Tomahawk Chop and the Cleveland Indians grinning logo.  

Hell, even the Brave's Tomahawk on the uniforms is more offensive. And I'm of Indian origin, so I should know! (Ok, my parents are from the country Columbus tried to find and failed, so a little different type of Indian ancestry. :) So, really I have no additional insight.)  

Just trying to lighten the mood.  

I think you're reaching

It was a bit more of a trolling  ;)  I felt he was being condescending to me so I thought I'd mess with his propensity to type Hail.

Hell, even the Brave's Tomahawk on the uniforms is more offensive. 

You think their Tomahawk is bad, look at the old school Braves...

They actually brought those back during Spring Training last year.

article-0-16BEA2F4000005DC-470_634x647.j

It's been very hard to be a Redskin fan.   The onfield product sucks, the game day experience at the stadium sucks, the owner makes questionable decisions at seemingly every turn, and now the PC police has set their sights on the damn name of the team.  Just can't seem to catch a break.

And now other NFL players are writing articles and blogs and being quoted as if the name is, in fact, without a doubt, racist.   When's the tide going to turn?    We are starting to drown.

I agree with all of this.  I'd actually say that it's hard being a DC sports fan.  There has been almost nothing to really root for since 1992.  

The Caps had some good years, and basically choked in the playoffs.

The baseball team has been good recently, but was a) not here, and then B) historically bad for a while.  And in their one playoff appearance, they snatched defeat from the jaws of victory in the most spectacular way, and honestly haven't recovered since.

The Wizards ... well, they're best known for a gun scandle.

And the 'Skins have just been between awful and mediocre for 20 years.

Heck, toss in college sports, and apart from one U of MD basketball title years ago, you have really nothing to root for there either.  

That said, a leopard can't change their spots. I'm still a die hard fan of all of the professional teams.  I can't stand U of MD or Georgetown, but I know a lot of 'Skins fans are fans of those teams also.  

It was a bit more of a trolling  ;)  I felt he was being condescending to me so I thought I'd mess with his propensity to type Hail.

You've fallen into one of the classic blunders of all time: The first is "don't get involved in a land war in Asia." The second is "Don't get in with a Scicilian when Death is on the line."  

Only slightly behind that is "Trolling GHH will not get you anywhere."

And yes, I remember those emblems.  Embarrassing. 

This is directed at nobody in particular, just a general musing; It never ceases to amaze me the amount of Redskins fans so readily willing to accept the agenda filled bigotry from the minority and concede defeat on OUR name (which should never be an issue to start with); or worse actually agree with the minority.

I find that both more frustrating, and in the latter case HIGHLY insulting; coming from fellow fans of our team.

Washington REDSKINS.

It's our identity. It's our heritage. It's our team. It's our NAME. Change the name, you lose a MASSIVE part of who we are and what we've achieved over the years.

Keep fighting and stonewalling Danny. Appeal thi latest B/S and make the minority agenda filled biggots, who are EVERY bit as racist as they claim our proud heritage is; rue every last cent they've spent on this legal disgrace.

Washington REDSKINS for EVER!

Hail.

this sir is the best post I have ever seen you post here. agree 1000000%. People like me who are no longer in the DC area are not going to connect to a new name anywhere close to what we were before. It is a death that we are seeing here, like the Bullets who died years ago. I dont want to see the team die

article-0-16BEA2F4000005DC-470_634x647.j

What is negative about this image? Is it a negative misrepresentation of historical Native Americans?

• Like 1

Native Americans and organizations opposed[edit]

It is considered a racial slur by a sizable amount of Native Americans.  To assert otherwise seems unrealistic at best.

I believe I asked you a question that you haven't answered.

There is no turning the tide on this. It's just going to become a bigger and more annoying issue until the  name is changed. 

I totally get why Snyder is so adamant about not changing it, but he will either give in, or be forced to give in sooner than later.

Edited by Hooper

It's just a name people.

It's more than just a name. Along with the name you will certainly lose the logo and Hail to the Redskins. It's even possible that the team colors could be tweaked or changed. Basically everything that makes the Redskins the Redskins is on the line. I don't think that I as a Cowboy fan will feel like my team is playing against my arch rival without those things.

• Like 2

Not to get in to a political discussion, but is anyone else appalled that the government is spending more time on this than any of the other 10000 important things going on in the world ?!?!?!?!

Keep the name Danny! Don't give in!!!

• Like 2

It's other people forcing a change the majority doesn't want, on behalf of people that majority don't agree with them, and using no factual evidence to support their claims.

Yeah but if enough people are upset why not just change it?

What is negative about this image? Is it a negative misrepresentation of historical Native Americans?

Its a caricature of an American Indian who goes by "Chief Noc-A-Homa" or "The Screaming Indian"...

It's more than just a name. Along with the name you will certainly lose the logo and Hail to the Redskins. It's even possible that the team colors could be tweaked or changed. Basically everything that makes the Redskins the Redskins is on the line. I don't think that I as a Cowboy fan will feel like my team is playing against my arch rival without those things.

If it's changed, it should be a complete rebranding.  Different logo, colors, and yes, the song would go.      Basically the entire Redskins tradition would be gone from all but old VHS tapes and photos.    That's why Dan is being so absolute about changing the name.   He understands the traditions become history when that happens.   You can't keep parts of it.  You can't keep the colors or the overall theme.  You must make a clean break.  He, and many of his fellow skins fans, are far from ready to do that.   

Its a caricature of an American Indian who goes by "Chief Noc-A-Homa" or "The Screaming Indian"...

And what's you point man?  I need to know your thought process.  Most of us don't have a thought process where every single phrase, every single image, and everything about it has to be looked at as racism/racist.  I need to understand this thought process.  I see a proud Indian?  Maybe an Indian who is being tickled?  I see absolutely nothing racist about it.

Now, I don't know what that Native American gentleman is thinking, but in that moment, I'd bet money he's not thinking "Well, this is respectful of my heritage."  

What team is that dude even trying to represent?  

Interesting.  

Here is a pic of Amanda Kay.   Do you think that White People might feel offended by her because she is dressed like a Cowboy?

Not attacking you, don't want you to think I am.   I'm just trying to understand.

84437030.jpg

I don't get it guys.

Edited by ABQCOWBOY
  • Like 2

Interesting.  

Here is a pic of Amanda Kay.   Do you think that White People might feel offended by her because she is dressed like a Cowboy?

Not attacking you, don't want you to think I am.   I'm just trying to understand.

I don't get it guys.

That's dressed like a cowboy?    With all of that turquoise?

Edited by GibbsFactor

The Redskin name is a part of my fanhood but it's not a bigger part than Darrell Green, ST, Riggo's Run, 42-10, Thurman Thomas losing his helmet, 1999, 2005, 2007, and 2012. Those memories are what form the connection for me. The name is important but I'm not gonna leave the team over it.

As for the displaced fans, I am a Yankees fan (OMGZ!!!!) and don't have much connection to the city outside of a few of my late grandpa's fam still living there and me listening to NY hip hop stations during work lol. However, the name is not what connects me to the team. It's the Core 4, it's the 27 chips, it's Reggie Jackson's 3 Homers in the WS, it's Casey Stengel, and it's Murderer's Row. The Yankees can change their name back to the Highlanders tomorrow and I'll still have those feelings and memories. 

My point is that the memories and feelings of those moments are what creates whatever connection (or other melodramatic term that has been beat to death). 

Edited by BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93
  • Like 1

As a last resort:

Federally register the team as Washington Football ( or something similar )

Keep the logo, which still has Federal protection

( and ) The fans continue to call the team The Redskins

• Like 1

That's dressed like a cowboy?    With all of that turquoise?

Yeah, COWBOY hats and COWBOY boots are not called that if a person is wearing Turquoise.   That's true.