• Blog Entries

• By JimmiJo in ES Coverage
      ES Coverage Cowboys vs Redskins 2019

9/15/19

Do I look like I'm playing? I'm not playing. This is the Washington Redskins versus the Dallas Cowboys. If you are a fan of this game, and this one does not get you excited you might want to check your pulse.

Hello my friends it is I, JimmiJo, back for another year of this wonderful thing we call Redskins Football. This makes season 14 for me. I am joined by The Spaceman Spiff who will hereafter be known as "The Spaceman Spiff." 

Where's that dude that gets the big tattoos on his back? There's his next one.

So how important is this game? I don't know. What is the different between 1-1 and 0-2? The difference between batting .500 and zippy?

Throw in that this is their 2nd division game to start the year AND a home game and you have a critical match.

And once again they contend with critical injuries to start the year. Last year it was  their rookie star running back. This year its their 2nd year star...well you get the rest.  Darrius Guice is gone and not coming back this year. I think this really hurts him moving forward. Not sure who will build a scheme around him given his first two seasons.

So it is down to the veteran Adrian Peterson. I have no worries of ring rust for hum. None whatsoever. He knows what to do.

Anyway, almost time. Please share your thoughts.

Stand by...

Inactives

The Redskins declared the following players as inactive:
      o   No. 12 QB Colt McCoy
      o   No. 23 CB Quinton Dunbar
      o   No. 31 Fabian Moreau
      o   No. 64 C Ross Pierschbacher
      o   No. 67 G Wes Martin
      o   No. 86 TE Jordan Reed
      o   No. 93 DT Jonathan Allen

The Cowboys declared the following players as inactive:
      o   No. 10 WR Tavon Austin
      o   No. 37 S Donovan Wilson
      o   No. 57 LB Luke Gifford
      o   No. 61 C Adam Redmond
      o   No. 69 G Brandon Knight
      o   No. 79 DT Trysten Hill
      o   No. 97 DE Taco Charlton

Follow along in-game at Twitter @Skinscast 

JimmiJo

Head coach Jay Gruden said it is not time to press the panic button when asked if staff changes could occur on the defensive coaching staff. It may not be for him, but he might want to pay attention to the sounds coming from the owners suite at Redskins Park.

For example the sound of shouting and heavy objects striking walls could portend an early offseason for someone.

The Washington Redskins are now 0-2 to start the season. They are 0-2 in the division.

If that is not panic-inducing, they face a Chicago Bears football team (themselves in need of a solid win) on Monday Night Football next. A series they do not typically do well on.

In both games to open the campaign the winning teams had the game well in hand at the start of the fourth quarter, despite Washington taking leads in each of the games.

Against Dallas, the team began well again; taking a 7-0 lead into the second quarter. This was not quite the 17-0 start they had in Philadelphia. Nor did it take until halftime for the Cowboys to adjust.

It happened on Dallas’ fourth drive. Starting at their own 3-yard line at 9:44 in the 2nd period, the Cowboys employed a combination of runs up the middle and quick outs in the flats and sideline to advance the ball 97-yards in 7 plays and tie the game.

Following a three-and-out by Washington, Dallas went 74-yards on 11-plays to take the 14-7 lead at halftime.

The 3rd Quarter began with the Cowboys receiving the ball at their own 25. Nine plays  and 75-yards later they were leading 21-7.

The Redskins made it interesting with their own 11-play, 70-yard drive to cut he lead to 7.

But Dallas responded with a field goal. And would add another touchdown in the fourth quarter to extend the lead to 17.

Washington’s consolation score with just under 3-minutes remaining allowed rookie Terry McLaurin to add a touchdown to his debut season.

The Redskins have developed a reputation for not responding well to adjustments. They had little answer for the adjustments Dallas made to their offense. Ditto the game in Philadelphia.

In both, Washington had a lead to protect and could not.

Coming into the season the defense was expected to the be the strength of the team. Yet in two games they have surrendered 910 yards (445 per game) and 63 points. Not exactly setting the world on fire.

Statistically the Redskins defense are near the bottom in points allowed and yards surrendered.

The coach wants to blame injuries. Not only the their excellent young nose tackle in Jonathan Allen, but also to the secondary which has already gone significant realignment to accommodate injuries to Quinton Dunbar and Fabian Moreau.

Still, with the specter of a season going off the rails after only two games, the fans want someone to blame.

Wont be the quarterback. Case Keenum has completed 68.2 percent of his passes. He has thrown 3 touchdowns against no interceptions.
      Ditto other skill positions. Adrian Peterson did not his best outing but the team abandoned the run early. The receivers are doling their own, with guys like McLaurin shining.

And as bad as the collapse was last week and the home loss this, it feels too early to call for the head coach.

That leaves those in charge of the defense. Specifically, Defensive Coordinator Greg Manusky.

Fan ire seems more and more to be falling on Manusky, if sentiment on twitter and sports radio means anything.

But they don’t decide who stays and who leaves. That is the job of the head coach who so far, is backing his guy.

But there is a higher authority at Redskins Park. Legend has it owner Daniel Snyder once put a gallon of vanilla ice cream outside a Redskins defensive coordinator’s door following a poor performance by the defense.  

Given the start to this season, Manusky could be hearing the ice cream truck in his sleep. And that would be better than what many of the fans are wishing for him.

Alaskins

The Official ES Redskins Name Change Thread---All Things Related to Changing the Team's Name Go Here

Probably because the team that became the Ravens moved 1,000 miles away? I don't see how you could possibly compare the situations. 

I do know an Atlanta Thrashers fan that went hard for the Winnipeg Jets this year...

I know, I laughed at him too.

You have to understand that the Redskins have a very large fanbase who aren't from DC and have no emotional ties to the DC area.  The Redskins fanbase aren't localized to the DC area like the Nationals and Wizards are.  The Redskins fanbase is large throughout the country and even have fans from the UK and Australia.  Changing the name, or even worse, changing everything will alienate a very large portion of the fanbase, because there are millions of fans who have no emotional or family ties to the DC area.  A radical change will result in the new team from Washington's fanbase shrinking to the size of the Nationals.   The league and Snyder knows this.  That's why you will see this fight for a long time. 

I was born and raised in NC.  I was born and raised to be a Redskins fan because my granddad was a Skins fan, who passed it down to my dad, then to me.  None of them are from DC.  Redskins were the team in NC and got all of the coverage down here.  That's not the case anymore due to the crappy Panthers, but the older generations like myself still remain Redskin fans.  The Redskins were considered the team of the south, so you have many generations of Redskins fans who aren't from DC who still are Skin fans and raise their children to be Redskin fans.  As someone who loves the Redskins, there will be an emotional detachment from the team if a radical change happens, such as a name and logo change, to the point where they look like an expansion team.

Edited by War Paint
  • Like 5

Was "Colored" created by the people it referred to?

Genuinely curious, as I'm not familiar with the etymology.

Created? No. Adopted by? Yes. To me, that's essentially the same.

The claim that the redskins term was created by native americans has been proven and disputed too many times for me to put any stock in any claim. It really shouldn't matter when it comes to the argument in the first place.

I'm in the minority here - but I've said all along that the team will get my allegiance in whatever decision they make on name. If they change it - so be it. I will become a Washington Warriors/Federals/Senators/Warbirds whatever fan. If they keep the Redskins name though this - then that's no biggie to me either.

I'm not the one being offended.

:)

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Like 1

You can't claim that its offensive and racist but think it's ok to wear a jersey on game day because you are "supporting the team/players" and not the team name.  There isn't a switch.

If I thought the name was racist and offensive, yet I still wore my gear, supported the team, still had paraphernalia on my car and still identified myself as a Redskins fan, then I would consider myself racist as well.

Exactly. Its really this simple.

How many fans will cease being fans if the name is changed? I'm guessing not that many.

Yo. I have no "hometown pride." Thankfully I never lived there. I was a Virginian when I was old enough to learn what football is. I've spent most of my life away from Virginia, but I never stopped rooting for the Redskins. If they change the name, they may as well cease to exist as far as I'm concerned.

I personally think this is idiotic.   I understand that some things are over the line but this is ridiculous.   I literally work in an invironment where there are multiple Native Americans.    I work closely on a few Native American Contracts.  When you drive into our parking lot or those of some of the BIA etc, do you know what you see?  

You see lots of Cowboys Stickers and Lots of Redskins Stickers.   They don't seem to be offended by any of it.   In fact, the only offensive things are the  Redskins fans and the Cowboys Fans to each other.

Grow up and just let it go.  If it's offense, then people won't come to the games or buy the apparel.   Simple economics would solve this problem, if it indeed were a problem. 

• Like 1

Probably because the team that became the Ravens moved 1,000 miles away? I don't see how you could possibly compare the situations. 

Why let facts get in the way? :)

• Like 1

I'm just glad the front office and Dan Snyder are not willing to give up on keeping the name.

Edited by Beygo

Exactly. Its really this simple.

How many fans will cease being fans if the name is changed? I'm guessing not that many.

Maybe not the fans from the DC area, but the fans who have no family or emotional ties to the DC area might bail.  It depends on how radical the change is.  If it's a radical change like Washington Senators or something like that, I'm out.   I'll view the Redskins as a lifelong loved one who passed away.  If it's Warriors, with the same logo, theme, and vibe, I might stick around.  It'll be a wait and see approach. 

Edited by War Paint
  • Like 2

I still know people who use the term "colored" right here in Maryland.

Which is part of my point. It's still being used..but is it really predominantly socially acceptable? Or is there a negative connotation to that word now? That's how I see the redskins term being played out.

Edited by The Evil Genius

I personally think this is idiotic.   I understand that some things are over the line but this is ridiculous.   I literally work in an invironment where there are multiple Native Americans.    I work closely on a few Native American Contracts.  When you drive into our parking lot or those of some of the BIA etc, do you know what you see?

Do you, by any chance, talk about football with any of them? If so, do you use the term, "Redskins?"

Once some of you calm down, realize that this will get dragged out in appeals for years and that the decision was split, with opposition pointing out that there was no evidence at all to support the disparagement claim or that a majority of NAs were represented. Same as last time. It's likely to get overturned eventually. 

Some of you astound me that you're falling for this hook, line, and sinker, when even opposition in the court ruling is pointing out that there is NO evidence to support the claims of racism.

But, if we fans waver in our support and start giving up on the name, then we're allowing the PC crowd to win. We're allowing a change that current evidence shows isn't even supported by the majority of NAs! This is starting to make me sick that portions of our own fanbase are starting to quit. This fan base doesn't deserve a team that fights it's guts out if we become gutless and allow a minority of loudmouths to change our past, label us racist, and erase our identity. Thankfully the majority of the fan base right now still loves the name and won't accept change given the current evidence (lack thereof). The rest of you need to stand strong. We would never want our players to give in, we shouldn't give in either Show that your pride really counts for something: protect the name!

• Like 7

So you truly believe 90% of Natives don't care about that blatantly racist name?

At one point (2004!) they did.

But you completely missed my point. I said if a team was called the Alabama Darkies you will NEVER see a poll with 90% of African Americans finding it offensive. Not in 2000, not in 2014, NEVER.

Edited by MLSKINS
  • Like 1

Do you own any Redskins merchandise?  

I have a pair of gloves and a jacket that belonged to a friend who passed away but I never wear them, and I think some horrendous old NFC championship sweaters my dad gave are boxed up. Other than sentimental stuff. Nope. Don't think I've bought any merch since I was twenty one, anything else from my childhood is long gone.

As also stated, I don't like how I look in Burgundy and Gold. So that always helped.

I can name damn near player and coach who came through the building, their stats, their personalities,and every offseason fluff piece story written in the post. those are the people I care about. The people laying it on the line for my city. That's what I cheer for.

Your name is EVERYTHING!

Again, every major sports franchise in DC has changed their name in their history. Redskins isn't even the original team name.

I guess at the end of the day I find it hard to empathize with the plight of fans not from the area, just like others find it hard to empathize with those that are legitimately offended by the name.

and no, Liverpool will always be associated with a kickass soccer club regardless of whether there's an FC or a cheesy US style mascot. 

Edited by EvilMonkeyBoy

At one point (2000) they did.

But you completely missed my point. I said if a team was called the Alabama Darkies you will NEVER see a poll with 90% of African Americans finding it offensive. Not in 2000, not in 2014, NEVER.

Of course not. The term "Darkie" never had a positive or even neutral connotation in all of history.

if it 50/50 in offensiveness, then why even play around with it?

You're right. If it was 50-50, of course a name change would be warranted. But most, if not all, factual documentation says it's not. 

• Like 1

Maybe some of us don't care at all about the team name ...

I have zero attachment to the name Redskins. My loyalty is to the Washington NFL team. They can be called the Washington Ponies and I would still tune in on Sundays.

• Like 5

Of course not. The term "Darkie" never had a positive or even neutral connotation in all of history.

So why do people keep saying that Redskins is just as bad as the N-word, darkie, etc,?

I have a pair of gloves and a jacket that belonged to a friend who passed away but I never wear them, and I think some horrendous old NFC championship sweaters my dad gave are boxed up. Other than sentimental stuff. Nope. Don't think I've bought any merch since I was twenty one.

I can name damn near player and coach who came through the building, their stats, their personalities,and every offseason fluff piece story written in the post. those are the people I care about. The people laying it on the line for my city. That's what I cheer for.

As also stated, I don't like how I look in Burgundy and Gold.

Ok, then you're not a hypocrite on your stance that the team name is a racial slur.  :)

Do you, by any chance, talk about football with any of them? If so, do you use the term, "Redskins?"

I do.  In fact, I get a lot of ribbing from them because I am a Cowboy Fan and it's pretty well know.   When I refer to Football, I normally refer to them as the Skins but I have also called them Redskins on many occasions.  They refer to their own team as the Skins or Redskins as well.   It's not viewed as disrespectful at all.  

Here in the lower 48, we don't look at things the same way.   There is no intent to be mean or disrespectful, unless we happen to be playing each other that week, and so it's not viewed as such.  

"Our identity and heritage"

what about Native American peoples identity and heritage?

Look at this image, for goodness sake

qvspmz0lenqpyq4hhon5.jpg

its a joke.

The same people show up dressed like that to Chiefs games, Seminoles games, blackhawks games.... should we change them as well?

Edited by PartyPosse

Maybe some of us don't care at all about the team name ...

I have zero attachment to the name Redskins. My loyalty is to the Washington NFL team. They can be called the Washington Ponies and I would still tune in on Sundays.

This is where I'm at. I care about the product on the field, the name is irrelevant to me.

• Like 2