Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

Alaskins

It's precisely the fact I've grown up a REDSKINS fan, knowing MY team by that name, through the glory years and the past two decades of utter garbage, great memory's and bad; that would change it all for me.

Something would be lost. Something massive. The REDSKINS are a major part of my sporting identity. Players change. Coaches change. Uniforms change. Stadiums change. But NOT your name. (Unless you do the unthinkable and up sticks to another State and rebrand.).

If you don't see the connection to everything we've stood for known by that name for the past 80 odd years then we apparently have a wholly different connection to this team.

Hail.

Yes, it sucks.  Touchdown Washington Redskins is poetry to most of us.    We all get it.   Most of us have also lived through a name change because of the PC police.    The fear is getting stuck with a "wizards" type name.

But you are being selfish.   The term groups people by skin color.  Unacceptable today.  No other way to put it.  Doesn't matter if it's a good term for grouping or not.  It groups people by skin color.  Doesn't matter where it came from or how it's used.   Very similar to the Bullets name.    Not 100% bad but had some negative undertones.  That was enough.   This should be enough for Dan.   Dan's just being  a hardass that's so selfish he'd rather drag the team through the mud than give up his precious memories.

The team achievements will still be there. The Lombardis aren't going anywhere.   It sucks.  We root for a team that has rich tradition.   Unfortunately it has a name that groups people by skin color.   

Doesn't this trademark thing just make stuff worse? 

I mean, now ANYONE can use the name redskins and make money off of it right? Regardless of the end result, we will still be known as the redskins (Lots of people still call the Wiz, the Bullets). Giving people the ability to sell merch themselves just gives more people the ability to sell merch themselves. 

May hit us in the wallet...but doesn't this defeat the point? 

I hate to say it, but this is starting to reflect on the Native American people negatively in my mind. I can help after a certain point thinking that (ill omit here, as im not sure if this would violate rules, but my views have become more negative BECAUSE of this mess)

Yes, it sucks.  Touchdown Washington Redskins is poetry to most of us.    We all get it.   Most of us have also lived through a name change because of the PC police.    The fear is getting stuck with a "wizards" type name.

But you are being selfish.   The term groups people by skin color.  Unacceptable today.  No other way to put it.  Doesn't matter if it's a good term for grouping or not.  It groups people by skin color.  Doesn't matter where it came from or how it's used.   Very similar to the Bullets name.    Not 100% bad but had some negative undertones.  That was enough.   This should be enough for Dan.   Dan's just being  a hardass that's so selfish he'd rather drag the team through the mud than give up his precious memories.

The team achievements will still be there. The Lombardis aren't going anywhere.   It sucks.  We root for a team that has rich tradition.   Unfortunately it has a name that groups people by skin color.   

I think this post hits the nail on the head and addresses why this is an issue in the first place.

I've heard multiple Native Americans say that calling them Redskins is the equivalent of calling a black person the N word. Why are people still defending the Redskins name if that's the case?

Why would you want to follow a team with such an openly racist name who have made it clear they won't be changing it if that's how you feel?

Hail.

If I was Dan..I would keep the team logo the same..the fight song..but just instead of redskins. .just insert..warriors. .this isn't going away...I dont want to change from redskins . But ..if you can just slip the warriors in and keep the culture the same it might not be as bad as everyone thinks.

Doesn't this trademark thing just make stuff worse? 

I mean, now ANYONE can use the name redskins and make money off of it right? Regardless of the end result, we will still be known as the redskins (Lots of people still call the Wiz, the Bullets). Giving people the ability to sell merch themselves just gives more people the ability to sell merch themselves. 

No, it's protected through the appeal process. Same as last time.

Well I don't know a single Browns fan that went & became a Ravens fan. 

Probably because the team that became the Ravens moved 1,000 miles away? I don't see how you could possibly compare the situations. 

I do know an Atlanta Thrashers fan that went hard for the Winnipeg Jets this year...

I know, I laughed at him too.

http://redskinshogheaven.com/2014-articles/native-american-redskins-fan-and-what-they-dont-want-you-to-know-about-the-r-word.html

I'm sure this has been posted before, but I couldn't find it in the thread (it's moving quite fast.) 

Really good read from a Native American on the origin of the term Redskin, and how he doesn't think it's offensive.

Worthwhile read, if you care to strip yourself away from teeth-mashing.

Forbes.com: Loss Of Redskins Trademark Registration Is Overblown

The Trademark Trial and Appeal Board (TTAB) has decided to cancel six federal trademark registrations that include the term “Redskins.”  The ruling was made in relation to the longstanding use of the mark by the National Football League’s Washington Redskins.  It was deemed that the use of “Redskins” by the NFL is disparaging of Native Americans, and thus the federally registered mark was effectively cancelled as of today.  The implications of this ruling have been greatly exaggerated.

Today’s ruling will have “no effect at all on the team’s ownership of and right to use the Redskins name and logo.”  That was the only emphasized and underlined portion of a statement by Bob Raskopf, trademark attorney for the Washington Redskins, which was released after the TTAB decision was announced.  The Washington D.C.-based NFL team intends to appeal the TTAB’s decision cancelling the federal trademark registrations.  More importantly, the team has recognized that it continues to own and is able to protect its marks without the registrations in place.  The organization is correct.

ESPN.com Sports Business reporter Darren Rovell wrote, “[w]ithout protection, any fan can produce and sell Washington Redskins gear without having to pay the league or the team for royalties and wouldn’t be in violation of any law for doing so.”  That is simply not true.  The decision by the TTAB does not require the Washington D.C.-based NFL team to change its name, stop using the “Redskins” marks and it does not mean that the organization loses all legal rights in the marks.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/darrenheitner/2014/06/18/loss-of-redskins-trademark-registration-is-overblown/

I wonder if it's fair to compare the term redskin with the term "colored" (in America).

Both have cultural history and were widely accepted at one time (and used internally) and both terms have moved beyond what is usually seen as widely being accepted these days.

I'm sure both have their own defenders too (heck, even the NAACP has gone to it's acronyms rather than it's full title - even though it defends the use of the outdated colored term).

Why would you want to follow a team with such an openly racist name who have made it clear they won't be changing it if that's how you feel?

Hail.

I'm from DC, I love DC. I love our sports teams, I even love our irrational media. I've never put much stock in Logos/Flags/Mascots and the like. At the end of the day It comes down to hometown pride for me. I've got pride in the players and coaches who work their butts off to represent my city. As someone who loves them and where I'm from I constantly want to see them be better. The name change will be better for DC in the long run. 

I know you're an overseas fan so the perspective is different, but that's where I'm coming from.

To all the posters on here that think that the name Redskins is racist and think we should change the name.  I have two questions for you:

1.  Do you own any Redskins merchandise (jerseys, hats, car flags, car magnets, stickers, t-shirts, etc.)?

2.  Do you wear/show any Redskins merchandise out in public or at all for that matter (wear a tshirt/hat, have a car plate, etc.)?

If the answer is yes to any of the above questions, then you are all hypocrites.  Because by your own logic, you are supporting a racist term by purchasing merchandise with a "racial slur" on it.  If you wear or flaunt any of said merchandise, then you don't care about the feelings of Native Americans that you are claiming to defend, because if you did, you wouldn't take the chance that one might find it offensive if you crossed paths in public.

You either think its a racist term or you don't, no in-between.  You can't claim that its offensive and racist but think it's ok to wear a jersey on game day because you are "supporting the team/players" and not the team name.  There isn't a switch.  

I'm sorry, but you can't use that argument. If it's offensive to a lot, then it's offensive. Heck, I hate that we're gonna have to change the name too, but life will go on.

Exactly. Its really this simple.

How many fans will cease being fans if the name is changed? I'm guessing not that many.

I'm from DC, I love DC. I love our sports teams, I even love our irrational media. I've never put much stock in Logos/Flags/Mascots and the like. At the end of the day It comes down to hometown pride for me. I've got pride in the players and coaches who work their butts off to represent my city. As someone who loves them and where I'm from I constantly want to see them be better. The name change will be better for DC in the long run. 

I know you're an overseas fan so the perspective is different, but that's where I'm coming from.

Do you own any Redskins merchandise?  

I wonder if it's fair to compare the term redskin with the term "colored" (in America).

Both have cultural history and were widely accepted at one time (and used internally) and both terms have moved beyond what is usually seen as widely being accepted these days.

I'm sure both have their own defenders too (heck, even the NAACP has gone to it's acronyms rather than it's full title - even though it defends the use of the outdated colored term).

Was "Colored" created by the people it referred to?

Genuinely curious, as I'm not familiar with the etymology.

Coming from overseas makes not a lick of difference to preserving our identity as I see it. Unintentionally, that is an insulting line.

My home town soccer team, which DWARFS the Redskins on the World wide scene which ever way you want to cut it, has born the name of the City it represents since 1892. It has dominated home and abroad to the extent it's England's most successful and one of the Worlds most successful ball clubs in ANY sport. And all that history has been built up on the name. You mention the word 'Liverpool' the World over and most folk don't instantly think of one of the Worlds great City's. They instantly think of Liverpool Football Club and all they represent. Change the name and you change ALL that.

Your name is EVERYTHING!

Hail.

Well I don't know a single Browns fan that went & became a Ravens fan. 

That's completely different.  Having a team yanked out from under you and shipped somewhere else makes it a completely different scenario.  There was animosity towards the new franchise.  Yeah, I might be a little bitter about that too.  That was having a team and then no longer having a team.  

The equivalent scenario would be if it stayed in Cleveland and became the Cleveland Ravens.  

I still know people who use the term "colored" right here in Maryland.

Archived