• Blog Entries

• By TK in ES Coverage
      In today's Divisional Debacle, the Defense under Greg Manusky in the first half, gave up 207 yards of offense (105 rushing/102 passing) and two touchdowns.  That said, they did manage a single INT on which the Offense actually managed to score a touchdown off of. They allowed 12 of 16 passes to be completed . 

In the second half it was 107 yards given up (58 rushing//49 passing) a field goal and a touchdown. They traded their first half pick for a second half sack. However, Dallas completed all five of their pass attempts. 

Don't read that thinking "Well it seems like they tightened up some in the 2nd half."  They didn't. They simply had about half the plays in the second half. 30 plays in the First and 18 in the Second.

So far in two Divisional matchups, the Defense has faltered in the Second half. They start out like a house of fire for the first few drives until their opponents gradually make adjustments. This Defensive coaching staff fails make any adjustments, whether in game or at the very least at Halftime. They've given up over 30 points per game for a total of 63 points given up in two games. While the Bears are up next, the Pats await and they've put up over 70 points in two games. Yeah. Ok. They did shut out the Dolphins today which is looking like the NFL version of ... ahem... shooting fish in a barrel. 

The frustrating thing is Manusky is the DC that the Front Office actively looked to replace during the off season without firing him. When you know they're looking to replace you, most people would make a concentrated effort to show an improvement. Yet Manusky's Defense still keeps acting like it's starring in Groundhog Day.

In his post game presser, when asked directly about if any coaching changes would be made, Gruden said "No, I think after two games – you’re talking about playing two very good offensive football teams and two of the best offensive lines in pro football we just played back-to-back. That’s no excuse whatsoever, but I don’t think we need to hit the panic button yet. We just have to continue to focus on what we can do better to win. Get Jonathan [Allen] in here, get a couple of our corners back in here and let’s go back and strap it up against Chicago [Bears] next week and see what happens.” 

Here's another frustrating thing. The defensive communication was an issue last season as well. Wasn't this supposed to have been worked on during OTA's and Training Camp? It's understandable that the rookies would still be on a learning curve, but NFL vets like Collins and DRC you'd think they would have down by the start of the season. 

Gruden said they're a very talented group on Defense but that they weren't reaching them. When questioned as to why the coaching staff that has been in place for several years, wasn't reaching them, he defended the comment as them being a young defense. “We have some moving parts now. Landon Collins is a veteran guy but this is his first year, [Montez] Sweat’s in his first year, [Cole] Holcomb, it’s his first year, [Jon] Bostic is in his first year. We’re playing Dominique [Rodgers-Cromartie] at corner and this is Jimmy Moreland’s first year, so it’s not like we are the most experienced group. We feel like were very talented, but we`re still fighting through somethings. There are a lot of things to look forward to, without a doubt, but we do have to play better and strap it up and get back to work."

Alaskins

The Official ES Redskins Name Change Thread---All Things Related to Changing the Team's Name Go Here

'"native americans call themselves many things- the one thing they dont..."

well, thats not true. but, it makes for a good soundbite, so.....

My thoughts exactly:

Redskins.jpg

Could be right. I just don't know why Snyder hasn't gone out and just thrown a bunch of money at a top PR firm and let them take over. I pretty much cringe anytime I hear the Skins have a press release. I just have no idea what they're going to come up with next.

I believe that's why they brought in Luntz last year.  

I now find episodes like the Twitter stumble to be all the more puzzling, knowing that Luntz has been there all along. Or has he?

Aside from my own feelings on the name, I really think that this will not change one way or another until there's some nickels and dimes in it for DS. With the state of FedEx and the new locations for Super Bowls, I think a DC Super Bowl is the leverage that the NFL is holding on to. It's not unimaginable for Roger to award a future SB to Washington on the condition that DS agrees to change the name in the following year(s).

I'm not sure where you are going with this Marshall thing. Is he being treated unfairly in death?

His legacy/impact on the NFL is huge. Yet very, very few ever hear about that. Yet all you'll typically hear about if he is brought up is racism and last to integrate. I'm not saying that stuff shouldn't be brought up, what I am saying is that his legacy and impact on the NFL is so much more than that but it's all been practically erased and all that's remembered by most is the racist stuff. But, if not for Marshall and his innovations, hard to say if NFL becomes what it does.

http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/member.aspx?PLAYER_ID=142

Marshall selling out home games during WWII along with just a couple other teams was the reason the NFL survived the war. Had it suspended operations it might not have survived starting back up against the competition it faced against other sports and other start up football leagues. But because they stayed in business they maintained consistency and grew in popularity in the absence of other pro sports. But this and all the rule changes and innovations Marshall made that turned the game into what it is today are not known by most football fans, but the racism is, whereas most know Halas was a big deal.

I think the same thing happens with our team if the name is changed. The entire past history of greatness is completely overlooked and all that is remembered decades later is that the team had  a racist name, ESPECIALLY with the way the local media operates around here. 

Edited by elkabong82

His legacy/impact on the NFL is huge. Yet very, very few ever hear about that. Yet all you'll typically hear about if he is brought up is racism and last to integrate. I'm not saying that stuff shouldn't be brought up, what I am saying is that his legacy and impact on the NFL is so much more than that but it's all been practically erased and all that's remembered by most is the racist stuff. But, if not for Marshall and his innovations, hard to say if NFL becomes what it does.

I think the same thing happens with our team if the name is changed. The entire past history of greatness is completely overlooked and all that is remembered decades later is that the team had  a racist name, ESPECIALLY with the way the local media operates around here. 

That reminds me of an old joke.

An old man walks into a pub in Scottland, his feet shuffling, his back bent. He drags himself onto a stool and orders a beer. Placing the full glass in front of him, the bartender inquires upon his sad face. 

The man answers with a smoky and trembling voice and a Scottish accent: 

Ah, tell ya man! This pub, this very pub we're just sitting in. I built it, with me own hands! But do they call me the Pubmaker? Naa! See the wall over there, that protects our town? I built it, with me own hands! But do they call me the Wallmaker? And the bridge, you know, that crosses our river, I built it, with me own hands! But do they call me the Bridgemaker? 

But I tell ya, man! YOU **** ONE GOAT!

• Like 6

http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/member.aspx?PLAYER_ID=142

Marshall selling out home games during WWII along with just a couple other teams was the reason the NFL survived the war. Had it suspended operations it might not have survived starting back up against the competition it faced against other sports and other start up football leagues. But because they stayed in business they maintained consistency and grew in popularity in the absence of other pro sports. But this and all the rule changes and innovations Marshall made that turned the game into what it is today are not known by most football fans, but the racism is, whereas most know Halas was a big deal.

Marshall was a flat out racist. It was not that just that he was the last owner to integrate it is that he was an overt and public racist to the day he died. He left the bulk of his money to a foundation that had only one restriction on how the money was to be used. It stated “any purpose which supports or employs the principle of racial integration in any form.”  This was in 1969!!!!! He gets everything he deserves in terms of his legacy. It was not a singular event with Marshall it was a way of life.

The great players, great owners, coaches and traditions since him will not be tainted by a name change because they were not the racist that Marshall was. This is not going away. It will become more and more of a distraction. It is becoming a nation issue. I am a life long fan but believe they should change the name.

Edited by gatito
  • Like 3

I'm sorry but that ad almost made me pull a muscle from laughing so bloody hard I seriously thought it was some kind of SNL parody when Grant Paulson played it.

Guys, I love my team but this is getting ridiculous. I know a lot of us see the name and correlate it with our history. But with that aside, we have to realize that Redskins is now a racial slur. Is it really the most important part of our team name, anyway?

I know I'm going to get some heat for this but hear me out... I think it's time for us to change the name but find a way to keep our burgundy and gold. If not the racist name, think about the distraction for the team. It will be a quick process if we can just show Danny that we're not going to jump ship just because our team name changes.

Guys, I love my team but this is getting ridiculous. I know a lot of us see the name and correlate it with our history. But with that aside, we have to realize that Redskins is now a racial slur. Is it really the most important part of our team name, anyway?

I know I'm going to get some heat for this but hear me out... I think it's time for us to change the name but find a way to keep our burgundy and gold. If not the racist name, think about the distraction for the team. It will be a quick process if we can just show Danny that we're not going to jump ship just because our team name changes.

UnWise Mike likes golf....who would have thunk it.

When the going gets tough, the tough get going, so get going. :angry:

• Like 3

Personally, at this point I don't mind the name change. It's only a matter of time in my opinion. I just don't want that cheesy "Warriors" as the new name for us. Keep the R. Reds, Red Hawks, Renegades, or Warpaths. Anything but "Warriors".lol Even tho it's unlikely, i'll take Braves and Natives.

• Like 1

It's just disgusting of the agenda BEHIND the name change; it's infuriating because the word Redskin was always referred to football as long as I can remember. Heck the name OKLAHOMA mean Land of the Red People for crying out loud.lol smh I can understand if there was some legitimate angst about the name and if it was in the history books, but there isn't, and the ones who are "offended" are misinformed and delusioned by the liberal media. It also pisses me the hell off because after it is changed, then what? People will feel like they accomplished something, and won't even bother to help those REAL needs of the Native Americans. That's what irritates me about this whole thing, not because of those "offended" by it, but the true agenda behind it, and that those who are Skins fans will lose for nothing.

• Like 2

If the name changes my interest in this team goes down.  I'm sorry but whatever name is picked, it's not the same.  All that tradition, everything means 0.  Hail to the warriors or whatever the **** it will be called?  Yeah right.  This is nothing but moronic political correctness that has ran WILD in America the last 2 years.   The liberals are 10x more intrigued with the name change than Native Americans.  It even sounds ridiculous talking football with friends/other fans "Yeah man, my favorite team is the Washington Warriors man, what's yours?"  Name sounds so awesome!  Everything anymore is taken in racist context even when not 1 thought about racism surfaces.  I belong to Cowboyszone, Philadelphiaeagles.com, BigBlue, and lurch other forums for YEARS.  Never once did I ever see a topic about the Redskins name being racist, NOT 1.  Now, not only is there a thread but 35-40% of the responses talk about how racist the Redskins name is.  Where were all these people 5 years ago?  I can tell you where they weren't....on any messageboard nor ANY personal conversation with fans/friends/nonfans.  All of a sudden its the most racist name ever in sports....sigh

Edited by KuNiT21
  • Like 1

You have got to be kidding me!  The name is not a racial slur.....  It wasn't when the name was founded back in 1933,  and the only reason some think the name is racist today is because the liberals have an agenda to make you believe it is.  They will wine, cry and throw a tantrum until there faces turn blue.  If they would only do a little research, and see that there was a native tribe who painted there skin red before going into battle, that influenced the name, then maybe they would leave our team name alone.  LOL, who am I kidding, that wouldn't stop the kicking, screaming and hair pulling.  If you go to the almighty Wikipedia, it says that the name is a racial slur.  Again, if you do a little research, you will see that anyone can write anything in Wikipedia.  Obviously an anti-redskin agenda-ist wrote that into Wikipedia to help support there side. If you don't like the name, if it is offensive to you, then don't be a fan of the Washington Redskins.  Don't watch there games or support the team.  To the thousands of true redskins fans in the world, it is more than just a name, it is our team!  This team is a major part of our lives.  It is american history, and I am proud to be a Redskins fan!!!! If the name was taken away, it would be complete devastating to me.  Changing the name would be more of a problem then most people realize.  It would put many big time Redskins fans, like a lot of us here on extremeskins into the loony bin.  

HTTR

• Like 3

Just some replies from the topic that was closed...

You have got to be kidding me!  The name is not a racial slur.....  It wasn't when the name was founded back in 1933,  and the only reason some think the name is racist today is because the liberals have an agenda to make you believe it is.  They will wine, cry and throw a tantrum until there faces turn blue.  If they would only do a little research, and see that there was a native tribe who painted there skin red before going into battle, that influenced the name, then maybe they would leave our team name alone.  LOL, who am I kidding, that wouldn't stop the kicking, screaming and hair pulling.  If you go to the almighty Wikipedia, it says that the name is a racial slur.  Again, if you do a little research, you will see that anyone can write anything in Wikipedia.  Obviously an anti-redskin agenda-ist wrote that into Wikipedia to help support there side. If you don't like the name, if it is offensive to you, then don't be a fan of the Washington Redskins.  Don't watch there games or support the team.  To the thousands of true redskins fans in the world, it is more than just a name, it is our team!  This team is a major part of our lives.  It is american history, and I am proud to be a Redskins fan!!!! If the name was taken away, it would be complete devastating to me.  Changing the name would be more of a problem then most people realize.  It would put many big time Redskins fans, like a lot of us here on extremeskins into the loony bin.  

HTTR

I agree that the name was not a racial slur in 1933. But America also didn't have a problem with the Negro League. Things change. Unless Native Americans speak up for the team name (not going to happen) then we need to change it. And it's not just Wikipedia. The dictionary considers it a slur, too. But the slur annotation isn't even the main reason Native Americans want to change the name. That's something white liberals have assumed and Native American activists have ran with it.

My Grandmother is 100% Luiseno making my Mother 50% and myself 25%.  Didn't want to have to pull the white guy with a little bit of native blood card but I will now because I can tell you my Luiseno cousins and people I grew up with don't give a **** about the name and we see it as something to be proud of.  You say some blacks probably don't care about the word n***er but I guarantee you say it to 10 different black dudes and 9 out of the 10 will sock you in the face.  I haven't met one Indian who was offended by the name.

If we did change it to something though, I could accept the Washington Warriors if we could keep the logo and colors.  Anyway, I'm just tired of rainbow blooded liberals telling us how we should feel.

I would suggest you speak up in numbers. Talking on a message board does absolutely nothing because I could say I'm 110% Native American and that I am proud of the Redskins name and that does nothing for anyone. I just have a hard time believing people are proud to be called their skin color just as much as I have trouble believing people are offended by their skin color. I think it's a neutral point and I agree, liberal America had an agenda to make it a slur and succeeded. Either way it is now a slur in the eyes of many and it is becoming a problem. And yes, 9 out of 10 black people will knock out someone they don't know calling them a n*gger and I don't think as many Native Americans would do the same with the word Redskin, but that doesn't mean it's not a racial slur. That's culture upbringing mixed with degrees of power of the opposing words.

And Warriors? We're just asking to change it again in 20 years when the rest of the Native American mascots are forced to change their names.

Edited by S.TaylorMade

I'll never support a name change in any form.

NEVER, you can use caps.

It's not used in a derogatory way. Fight racism where it actually exists and get a life

RfkFedex

Edit: A search shows that Luntz is still with the team. But more (new) PR people are on board as of today

Correct.

S.TaylorMade

Unless Native Americans speak up for the team name (not going to happen) then we need to change it

Has already happened some, but they do need more national exposure, instead of being largely ignored by the media. I think we'll see more of them this season.

Changing the name is a terrible idea, for many reasons.

Hail to the Redskins

Edited by Spearfeather

The dictionary considers it a slur, too.

No. It doesn't.

There is not one single dictionary out there that so much as mentions the Washington Redskins.

Because dictionaries do not define proper nouns.

The dictionary says that, when the word "redskin" ISN'T referring to a football team, it's offensive.

• Like 1

UnWise Mike likes golf....who would have thunk it.

When the going gets tough, the tough get going, so get going. :angry:

So you're saying I'm tough? So you're okay with the Redskins name living on even if it means that future players won't sign with us and every player will be distracted by off-the-field BS? I'm ready to win again and can let go of a name. We're still the same team and we're still in DC. That's all that should matter. Does the name mean that much to you?

• Like 1

So you're saying I'm tough? So you're okay with the Redskins name living on even if it means that future players won't sign with us and every player will be distracted by off-the-field BS? I'm ready to win again and can let go of a name. We're still the same team and we're still in DC. That's all that should matter. Does the name mean that much to you?

Then perhaps we should start looking at changing the name of the Cleveland Browns?  Surely i'm guessing a majority of the NFL players wouldn't want to play for a team that uses the term "Brown".  Do you realize how incredibly moronic it is to think that the Washington Redskins team was named to slur native americans?

So you're ok with making up imaginary consequences and pretending that they're facts?

No. It doesn't.

There is not one single dictionary out there that so much as mentions the Washington Redskins.

Because dictionaries do not define proper nouns.

The dictionary says that, when the word "redskin" ISN'T referring to a football team, it's offensive.

Great point.  I'd like to add the same word can have several different meanings, senses, and usages.  Obviously in the case of the Redskins it's not a slur in any way, shape, or form.  Since it's not a slur in this case, people need to move on.

So you're ok with making up imaginary consequences and pretending that they're facts?

I am glade im not the only one seeing the same thing!  In Liberal-ism they don't like facts, its all about emotion, they will stay away from the facts as much as possible.  

I for one hate the idea of anything other than the name Washington Redskins. With that being said I don't think Snyder is going to have a choice other than change the name.

I for one would be okay with the Washington Warriors. As long as we can keep the uniforms the same. Either way I think the name is going to be changed.

Edited by Smurf85

Like I said, I was going to get some heat for my opinion. I love my Washington Redskins and will continue to support them and just hope you guys don't abandon ship when the name changes. I know for a fact that Redskins wasn't originally racist because history tells us it was accepted by Native Americans. Just like "negro" is just espanol for "black". Time changes everything. Anyway, I've said it before, Native Americans activists are more concerned with the association with drunk sports fans, not the name. That's why they're shutting down every team. It won't stop with the Redskins. Think about that. And yeah, perhaps the name "Browns" is the reason they're not good but it could also be the city.

Anyway, I don't want to get banned for looking like a troll, so I'm out. Before I go, I just want to say, stop using excuses like "It wasn't racist back in 1933. Why is it today?" and "Native Americans are proud to be called Redskins!" It just sounds stupid. Peace.

Just change it to Skins... Simplest solution by far and many people already call them that.

• Like 1