Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

Alaskins

SO now the team is resorting to calling up random Native Americans and asking for their support.

Un-****ing-believable

Why am I not surprised? After all Snyder made his millions in telemarketing and selling phone lists.

Also for RedHawks, this is kind of a cool connection if we kept the feathers.

Feathers and Native American use

The feathers and other parts of the red-tailed hawk are considered sacred to many American indigenous people and, like the feathers of the bald eagle and golden eagle, are sometimes used in religious ceremonies and found adorning the regalia of many Native Americans in the United States; these parts, most especially their distinctive tail feathers, are a popular item in the Native American community.[40] As with the other two species, the feathers and parts of the red-tailed hawk are regulated by the eagle feather law,[41] which governs the possession of feathers and parts of migratory birds.[42]

I support keeping the name but also growing tired of the debate.  Overall, I think this article is pretty good, focuses on the sponsors, I apologize if it was posted already:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/maurybrown/2014/05/29/the-one-way-the-nfl-could-change-the-redskins-name-is-if-sponsors-got-involved

Comment from below that article.

Susan Farley 4 hours ago

So unfortunate that those North and Native American Indians who are totally supportive of keeping the Redskins name aren’t being given a safe, open platform within which to express their support for the team name. I have spent the last few years working with USA Placed Victims-Survivors of Canadian Scoops, a group of victims of Canada genocide of North American Indians who were placed in USA and for which there is now a truth & reconciliation commission in Canada. It is also a genocide that during the last few years some offices of USCIS recognize as a basis by which these individuals can gain expedited receipt of USA Citizenship. Long before this Redskins name became an agenda item for activists, these people were citing their love of that team, the team logo, the team colours, the way that that team, no matter what state or country these people were now living in, was a reliable source of pride for them. Their experience of that team being named for them was never negative but a symbol of strength and, if the team did well that year, national pride. The Redskins team reminded them that no matter what they experienced in a society that might have over-looked their culture, this team celebrated it. The negative connotations that are now being forced onto that image say more about the people needing the name change, the levels of racism and prejudice that they themselves were exposed to than it does about what that team name and logo mean to the team owners, the team players and the team’s many Native and North American (and non-Native and North American) supporters.

SO now the team is resorting to calling up random Native Americans and asking for their support.

Un-****ing-believable

Why am I not surprised? After all Snyder made his millions in telemarketing and selling phone lists.

Where in that article do you see that the team is calling random Native Americans and asking for their support?

I see them calling leaders of Native American tribes to come to DC for a meeting about the team name and that they needed a decision on if he wanted to attend within the next few hours.

I'm not sure that is a "un-****ing believable thing" to do.

It is so very hard to think of a decent different name for the team.

Is any kind of NA imagery/theme deemed to be off limits if/when the change occurs? I, for one, would like to keep some of the NA theme in a way that would be universally (as close as possible anyway) perceived as respectful. I also think Snyder should ensure his charity remains fully involved and helps NAs in many ways regardless of what happens.

I went and bought a Powhatan to English dictionary trying to find an "R-word" that would work. Only thing I could find that made sense was Raputtak, which means head of an arrow. What about Thunderbirds? Would that be offensive or stealing culture or something? It could actually fit our colors and theme nicely. If you an image search on google you can see how it would fit.

For those that hate the military theme , something military-ish words that fit out spear logo would be Vanguard or Spearheads. Vanguard would be kind of funny because it's definitions alluding to progressive thought.

van·guard
ˈvanˌgärd/
noun

1. a group of people leading the way in new developments or ideas.
    "the experimental spirit of the modernist vanguard"

I still don't like Warriors much and I also prefer Redhawks to that.

The more I hear it, the more I prefer Washington RedHawks to Washington Warriors.  I feel like Warriors is just so lame and is only being used for alliteration.  RedHawks still allows you to use the "R" logos, which (along with the spear) is my favorite of all the Redskins logos.

The name change is going to happen.  An none of us are going to have a say in what the name becomes.  So we may be choosing a lesser of evils kind of name so to speak.  Like, which name do you dislike the least?  Ok, that's our new name.  there will be no name that every defeated Redskins fan agrees on.

I respect your opinion, but for me RedHawk is still too Native American "sounding"  

I want a completely new direction, with perhaps only the color scheme remaining in some form.  The Burgundy and Gold Warrior above is pretty cool.  Call it sour grapes, but I would not want anything that could be construed as allowing the PC nuts to dictate what we do.    

The team as it was would be dead and gone anyway.  Just let it go, and start over fresh.  While you are at it, move Dallas to the South and Carolina to the East.  Let's just **** can the whole thing.  

Ugggh...as someone who hates seeing the name change, the only alternate names I've heard right now that are somewhat acceptable are Skins and Warriors.  I could live with "Warriors" if the logo and colors stay the same.   I don't like a bird theme like the Redhawks.

I don't think we should totally abandon the NA theme.  If you make the change to drastic, the Redskins will lose a ton of revenue and a lot of their fanbase outside of the DC area.  I don't think the NFL will want to see a drastic change to one of their most profitable and historical franchises.

I think if a name change occurs, we'll still see the same theme, same uniforms, same colors, etc....I think it would be a huge mistake doing a radical change that would feel like an expansion team.

Ugggh...as someone who hates seeing the name change, the only alternate names I've heard right now that are somewhat acceptable are Skins and Warriors.  I could live with "Warriors" if the logo and colors stay the same.   I don't like a bird theme like the Redhawks.

I don't think we should totally abandon the NA theme.  If you make the change to drastic, the Redskins will lose a ton of revenue and a lot of their fanbase outside of the DC area.  I don't think the NFL will want to see a drastic change to one of their most profitable and historical franchises.

I think if a name change occurs, we'll still see the same theme, same uniforms, same colors, etc....

I think we abandon the Native theme partially out of spite, but mainly because in some way shape or form if you keep it there is always gonna be idiots like Harjo still complaining.  Their argument is the appropriation of their culture by sports teams, which any Native them would still be doing.  If you have to make this change, you only want to have to make it one time.  Get it right the first time.  

I respect your opinion, but for me RedHawk is still too Native American "sounding"  

I want a completely new direction, with perhaps only the color scheme remaining in some form.  The Burgundy and Gold Warrior above is pretty cool.  Call it sour grapes, but I would not want anything that could be construed as allowing the PC nuts to dictate what we do.    

The team as it was would be dead and gone anyway.  Just let it go, and start over fresh.  While you are at it, move Dallas to the South and Carolina to the East.  Let's just **** can the whole thing.  

That's way too radical and would never happen.

Where in that article do you see that the team is calling random Native Americans and asking for their support?

I see them calling leaders of Native American tribes to come to DC for a meeting about the team name and that they needed a decision on if he wanted to attend within the next few hours.

I'm not sure that is a "un-****ing believable thing" to do.

Direct quote from the tribal leader:

“Someone working for the team called me out of the blue to invite me to a meeting in D.C. with the team and its owners and wanted to know what I thought of the team name." - Joseph Holley

Unsolicited cold phone call to a small tribe in Nevada no one's heard about...that's random.

I meant to add this to the post above, but I believe 'Skins' is also a  self-identifier used today among NAs. I think it might be one of those "it's OK to use if we are using it" words also. There is a youtube video out there you can find if you google Totally Debated Redskins. It's has interesting perspectives from a young, activist NA and an older, distinguished NA. Worth watching, and they do briefly touch on the use of the term 'Skins'.

I think we abandon the Native theme partially out of spite, but mainly because in some way shape or form if you keep it there is always gonna be idiots like Harjo still complaining.  Their argument is the appropriation of their culture by sports teams, which any Native them would still be doing.  If you have to make this change, you only want to have to make it one time.  Get it right the first time.  

Yeah, there might always be a little complaining, but it won't be anything like what's going on right now.  It'll be so mild that it won't even be a story.

Might as well happen.  The rivalry would be dead as it was.  What difference does it make? 

It'll make a huge difference IMO.  You don't take one of your most historical, profitable teams and radically change it to where it feels like an expansion team.  The NFC East is an extremely popular division.  The NFL isn't going to radically change it.

Yeah, there might always be a little complaining, but it won't be anything like what's going on right now.  It'll be so mild that it won't even be a story.

I disagree.  They want all the Native themes gone from Sports period. This will not end with the Redskins.  The Redskins being forced to change will only be the first salvo.  Next they will be going after the Indians, Braves, and Chiefs, and eventually they will get their way.   

I disagree.  They want all the Native themes gone from Sports period. This will not end with the Redskins.  The Redskins being forced to change will only be the first salvo.  Next they will be going after the Indians, Braves, and Chiefs, and eventually they will get their way.   

Basically, you're lumping all NAs in the Ray Halbritter boat.  I'm sure the vast majority have no problem with our actual logo.  Heck, most probably don't mind our current name. 

I highly doubt we'll see ESPN and PFT write daily articles on us after a name change demanding us to drop our NA logo.  This is all about the word "Redskins".  Anyone who thinks any NA imagery is offensive is simply a total idiot or is trying to find a way to profit off being offended. 

Team needs to focus on giving a good platform to NAs in support of the name since the media by and large is not providing such a platform since they're biased.

This cannot be emphasized enough.  They are going to have to do it, and they are going to have to do it on a National scale.   

Heck, most probably don't mind our current name.  

Brother...since when in this whole damn argument has that mattered one iota?

Basically, you're lumping all NAs in the Ray Halbritter boat.  I'm sure the vast majority have no problem with our actual logo.  Heck, most probably don't mind our current name. 

I highly doubt we'll see ESPN and PFT write daily articles on us after a name change demanding us to drop our NA logo.  This is all about the word "Redskins".  Anyone who thinks any NA imagery is offensive is simply a total idiot or is trying to find a way to profit off being offended. 

I dunno. People are really set on having the Indians stop using the Chief Wahoo logo. Which is actually working since their primary logo now is the block C that you see on mlb.com and some other places.

I think the difference is that Snyder has taken the Hardline position and people don't like Snyder as it is.

The Indians are doing the smart thing. They are slowly eliminating the logo on their own terms under the radar.

Had Snyder handled this differently and or was not Snyder, who knows.

Archived