Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

Alaskins

Change the name!  The dribble about tradition not longer carries any weight.  The Redksins were once a proud, winning orgnaizaton.  But American Indians.

The insight and depth of your arguement has changed my mind......We should change the name to the Washington Celticsalmon, that has a ring to it.......NOT.

I'm gonna go out and say it, and you can quote me on this. This team will never amount to **** unless we change the name.

Cursed.

Go find a different team to root for. Seriously if you're a fan of this team and the name is unacceptable it makes no sense for you to support the team. Less than no sense actually it shows that you have weak character.

Proof that it's not just the Washington Post ganging up on Snyder, here's the perspective from Minni's paper.

http://www.startribune.com/lifestyle/231062001.html

700 people united against us last night. I figure this has to break a record for live protest of this franchise, including the GPM years in the early 60s.

it is what it is.  I'm convinced now that this fight is unwinnable, because the rhetoric is only going to get worse.  Sad sad day for me.     

I want all Native American imagery removed though if they do this at some point.  I want a fresh start with a patriotic theme of some type.  I don't want to ever have to go through this again.  No ****ing spear.  No Washington Braves or Washington Potomacs or some other Native name.  Just lose the whole thing.  

We have a star franchise QB who we could put front and center with a military theme of some kind.  Start the new name and theme out on the right note.

United States of America.  Land of the perpetually offended.  Unless something new happens I am checking out of the discussion.    

Go find a different team to root for. Seriously if you're a fan of this team and the name is unacceptable it makes no sense for you to support the team. Less than no sense actually it shows that you have weak character.

Please stop saying this.  It's getting annoying.

I'm glad to see you've come around Painkiller. I sympathize with your pain of letting go. The idea of change is a hard concept to accept. You're not admitting defeat.

Seeing and hearing from all those protestors last night makes me queazy in the stomach. This time feels different bc those folks in the interviews looked like regular people. Those were not just the journalists, politicians, or even the Harjos and Halbritters we've grown used to seeing in 2013.  

As an ardent supporter of change for this franchise, I should be happy to see such enthusiasm from people with whom I totally agree. However, I feel like I'm now rooting for cancer to take the life of a loved one who is beyond the point of recovery. This feeling sucks. The loss of our season last night doesn't help either.

I'm glad to see you've come around Painkiller. I sympathize with your pain of letting go. The idea of change is a hard concept to accept. You're not admitting defeat.

Seeing and hearing from all those protestors last night makes me queazy in the stomach. This time feels different bc those folks in the interviews looked like regular people. Those were not just the journalists, politicians, or even the Harjos and Halbritters we've grown used to seeing in 2013.  

As an ardent supporter of change for this franchise, I should be happy to see such enthusiasm from people with whom I totally agree. However, I feel like I'm now rooting for cancer to take the life of a loved one who is beyond the point of recovery. This feeling sucks. The loss of our season last night doesn't help either.

I don't think he's come around at all? I'm pretty certain he's figured out that people like yourself, will continue to whine about the most obscure things until you get your way and then you'll find something else to whine about.  It's pathetic, this name harms no one and the fact that it's going to be changed pisses me off.

I don't think he's come around at all? I'm pretty certain he's figured out that people like yourself, will continue to whine about the most obscure things until you get your way and then you'll find something else to whine about.  It's pathetic, this name harms no one and the fact that it's going to be changed pisses me off.

But it is true. One has no moral backbone if they continue to support a team that supports a position they find reprehensible.

But it's not a position, it's a name, one we've had for 81 years.  It's kinda the same, but not really.

I made a similar post...how does one support a team whose name one finds offensive?

And I think I know the answer.  Some of us slowly(like me)changed ideologically.  But it doesn't mean we changed what we love.

For me, I'm as liberal as I think I can be.  But I won't subscribe to the "offended".  We all have our right of free speech, and ours is to say "Hail to the Redskins".  We did not mean it to be hurtful, ever.  Nothing about that has changed. 

Recall decades ago reading one of those magazines that come out every August or so, previewing the upcoming NFL season.  This one magazine had a two or three page section talking about college football.  And one column dedicated to "Best prep school nicknames".  Their #2 (I remember being disgruntled that it wasn't #1) went to . . . .

Otrofino, Indiana:  Home of the state mental institution, and the Otrofino Maniacs. 

One of the protestors last night said that changing the name is just the tip of the iceberg. They want ALL Redskins history erased from the record books because the symbol and name have been "too painful" for their children.

That means previous stories and tv programs, about George Allen, Joe Gibbs, Doug Williams, the Super Bowls and Sammy Baugh will never be shown again. RGIII's magical season in 2012 will be deamed "too offensive" and banned from television.

That may be the end of my fandom for his organization. I can't bring myself to root for an expansion team, it just wouldn't feel right.

Anybody think we are cursed because of our name? Should we change the name to break the curse?

Consider the misfortune we've had. Sean Taylor's death is exhibit A. Griffin's knee is exhibit B.

Think of all the many games we have lost that we had every right to win. Last week is a great example.

Sports make people superstitious, so maybe I'm being that way here, but I'm starting to believe in the curse of the name.

Maybe the time has come to change it, if only for the reason of breaking the hex.

Potential name changes I like: Washington Nation. Washington Natives. Washington Americans. Keep the colors, logo, and Native American imagery.

Call me crazy, but I think it is worth a shot. We need to get our stars uncrossed somehow.

The redskins have won three superbowls. If names are cursed by failure our curse is weak compared to whatever voodoo has hit the Bills, Vikings, Eagles, Falcons, Cardinals, and Seahawks. Seems like birds are cursed commonly. The ravens must have paid the witch doctors off.

The redskins have won three superbowls. If names are cursed by failure then maybe the eagles should change their names first? Vikings too.

According to the curse theory, the curse began when Snyder won his legal fight over the name in 1999. That was the year of the botched field goal attempt in the playoffs, the first in a long series of very unlucky happenings.

I know belief in curses is hogwash, and yet I cannot escape the feeling we are hexed.

I know it sounds absurd, but suppose it was so, would you consider changing the name then?

(Of course this is mostly in jest, all our misfortune is easily explainable in terms of cause and effect, but sports fans inevitably believe in luck, and as long as we are believing in luck , hasn't the Redskins luck been bad for a while now?)

Archived