Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

Alaskins

Looking at Nothwestern's patriotic uniforms they'll wear soon, if a change occurred I think simply "Americans" would work, and then go with similar unis. Then we'd be America's team, not those posers in Dallas.

http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2013/11/4/5064646/northwestern-wounded-warrior-uniforms

the helmet at least is something like what I had in mind with the Warriors name.  Patriotic theme.  For me again, if you are forced to change, you change to something that is beyond reproach.  Washington Warriors with Stars and Stripes theme, somehow incorporating the burgundy and gold as well in a nod to the team's origins. 

There are ways to replace Redskins that don't suck, but again...unless things dramatically shift with the opinion of Native Americans at large about the name, I see no reason to change. 

but if you change, you go all out. 

I like those tribute unis for NW, but I'd have an awfully hard time giving up our B&G color scheme. It dawned on me at the TG last Sun, just how perfectly our colors blend with the autumn foliage.

I agree.

I do prefer the old school burgundy and gold over the new version though.  (the throwback)  I think the 70th anniversary uniform was fantastic.  Even better than the current one, although that one is pretty much identical to the original Redskins uni.

We can agree with that.

Sucks that the Pats, Giants and Bills have all claimed the red, white & blue long before us.

We could keep the Gold pants, with a Red, White, Blue themed Jersey.  Use Burgundy for accenting somehow.  I'm sure that a skilled graphic designer could fabricate something that works.

IMO the home burgundy jersey that we sport w/ the yellow pants today, looks to be a slightly brighter red than the 2002/1960s throwbacks. However, the red jersey looks even brighter w/ the white pants, my least favorite uni combo, dating back to Gibbs 1.0.

the 1960s 2002 burgundy is the best shade we've ever had.

Just came from voting ...in my RGIII Elite, with my U.S. Out of My Uterus shirt under ...everyone there had something to say about this topic ...and that "something " was "HELL NO"! Made my day.

HAIL!

Speaking of shirts,would buy 10 with a slogan saying, " Keep The Name" along with some sort of Redskin design on it. Anybody out there have the means?

I am against a name change but I have a suggestion for Mr. Snyder if it comes to that: the Washington Warfighters.

There is just so much synegry between a change to a US Military theme, the team's location, and the quarterback we have right now to not do it.

With Griffin Jr we have one of the world's most marketable sports athletes who is the son of two US Army soldiers. The team supports and honors service members at every home game and throughout the offseason. And of course the team is located right smack dab in the milddle of the HQ of the Military Industrial Complex. Even th ebanner on the side of this website says "Salute to Service".

Mr. Snyder would be foolish not to cash in on a once in a lifetime convergence of events like he has right now. He could cite the controversy, his love of our nation's military and his new quarterback's history as the reasons for his change of heart.

He could wipe away all the public ill will with a deft pivot to honoring our nation's military with a name/theme change. Sure it will hurt for a few years but things change, wounds heal and life moves on.

And he could make the name change conditional on removing the Cowboys from the division as they belong in the NFC South in my opinion. There is nothinhg East about a team that plays in the southwest of the country.

I'm really starting to wonder if this situation is becoming ripe for a harassment suit of some type.  The Washington Redskins are a privately owned business.  It would be one thing if we were talking about a government sanctioned or funded organization, if that is the case protest away...but it's not.  

I'm really starting to wonder if this situation is becoming ripe for a harassment suit of some type. The Washington Redskins are a privately owned business. It would be one thing if we were talking about a government sanctioned or funded organization, if that is the case protest away...but it's not.

first amendment partnah

I'm really starting to wonder if this situation is becoming ripe for a harassment suit of some type.  The Washington Redskins are a privately owned business. .  

Another lawsuit would be worse than the City Paper saga. Do we really want that for our team?

Non-scientific poll from the Washington Post.  "Should the Washington Redskins change their name"  Please vote accordingly.

57% NO  43 %^ Yes

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/nfl-executives-to-meet-with-critics-of-oneida-indian-pushing-for-redskins-name-change/2013/11/04/f7642d0c-4586-11e3-b6f8-3782ff6cb769_story.html

Weird, because polls coming from unbiased sources show 80% against a name change across the U.S. By weird I mean not surprising and highly suspect, especially when they say it was non-scientific.

I'm really surprised that the Washington Post hasn't polled Native Americans to ask, "do you believe the Washington Redskins should change their name?"  The Post frequently runs political polls that are professionally conducted by statisticians and scientifically accurate. Also, it's a local issue, the President of the United States has weighed in on the issue, and it's newsworthy.

We have the Annenberg study from about a decade ago, but nothing more recent.  Personally, I think that if a majority of Native Americans finds the term offensive, then we should change it to something more honorable.  The Post ran an editorial the other day calling for the team to be called the Redclouds, after the Native American chief and great warrior, Red Cloud.  We could keep the same uniforms, the fight song would still work ("Hail to the Redclouds, hail victory, braves on the warpath...") and the marketing opportunities would be lucrative for Snyder.  I can envision a logo, where the D and C in Redclouds are a different color, to denote "DC"... and so on.  Redhawks or Braves would be okay, too, especially since 'Braves' was the team's very first name.  We could also just be the Washington Brave, in singular noun format, like the Heat and Magic.  The national anthem would be sweet: "and the home of the brave." 

Nice,but personally I would like something a little more direct. Many people outside the DC area probably wouldn't really get the Hail not Hate message.Nice looking though. 

Not even Redskins colors... I agree with you.

If it was Redskins colors however, I would disagree with you.

first amendment partnah

Another lawsuit would be worse than the City Paper saga. Do we really want that for our team?

I wouldn't want that, but I think if things go much further that could be something you could look at.  The owner of a privately owned business has stated repeatedly he is not changing the name of his business.  Defamation perhaps? 

http://injury.findlaw.com/torts-and-personal-injuries/defamation-law-the-basics.html

Painting the owner, organization, and fans of the team as racists holding on to a racial slur?  (which is not proven)  At the very least, you could add a new dimension to the defense of the name.   

Like I said, we are not talking about a government institution or government funded organization here.  We are talking about a private business, and in the absence of laws to force him to change the name...the choice is his, and he said he isn't changing the name.  People do not have the right to defame and harrass the organization until they get their way. 

For instance, continuing to refer to the team's name as standing directly for "bloody red scalps" of slaughtered people, when there is absolutely no evidence that was ever the case.  Trying to shift public opinion based on something that most informed researchers like Ives Goddard have stated is blantantly false.   

Archived