Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

Alaskins

It was overruled by a technicallity based on the time it took the plaintiff to file the suit.   The judge ruled the plaintiff waited to long after becoming a consenting adult.      These new plaintiffs have since closed that loophole by involving young adults close to the age of 18,

What worked in the 90s won't work again.  Snyder would need to find new loopholes to exploit.

It seems like it's harassment to me. 

i would. I actually find what the Chiefs and Braves do very offensive. The "tomahawk chop" and head dress all that. Its terrible.

Just crazy how that guy could sit there, in that gear and tell a Native American that he doesnt get it.

The pre-90's Braves were the single most offensive thing in sports.

"Chief Noc-A-Homa" the "Laughing Indian" made Chief Wahoo look like a Disney character.

Forbes.com: Loss Of Redskins Trademark Registration Is Overblown

http://www.forbes.com/sites/darrenheitner/2014/06/18/loss-of-redskins-trademark-registration-is-overblown/

After the World Cup game ESPN lead with the story, with Darren Rovell explaining how damaging this would be and how it will cause all of the other NFL owners to pressure Snyder to change the name to save merchandising revenues. That story will be run as the lead on all ESPN updates all day. 

This article makes it appear to be a whole lot of nothing, of course this will be blown up to epic proportions by all of the usual suspects. Too bad most people won't see that Forbes story.

Your wife wakes up one day and decides to change her name, hair color, colored contacts, how she dresses. She is still your wife. Same memories, same personality, same mannerisms. Does your love for her change in any way at all?

Bad example because I'm not ****ing a football team. Your example is closer to trading in for a new model.:D

The agenda driven PC brigade who are as bigoted and racist as the organisation their protesting about?

And I include the minority section of Native Americans in that who have an agenda the majority of Native Americans do not.

Hail.

Yeah you and I don't see eye to eye on anything.

BTW Hail(As in Hail Victory) is the English version of "Sieg Heil"

Hopefully we can ditch that one too. I've always been far more creeped out by the fanbase using that as a rallying cry than worried about the logo

It makes for an embarassing google results page as well.

Bqbr5ERCQAASPWn.png

Your wife wakes up one day and decides to change her name, hair color, colored contacts, how she dresses. She is still your wife. Same memories, same personality, same mannerisms. Does your love for her change in any way at all?

Now imagine someone else forces your wife to make those changes, for no valid reason with no supporting evidence. You still cool with it? I doubt it. You'd probably fight for her to prevent a change being forced upon her that she doesn't want.

It's just a name people.

It's other people forcing a change the majority doesn't want, on behalf of people that majority don't agree with them, and using no factual evidence to support their claims. 

Hopefully we can ditch that one too. I've always been far more creeped out by the fanbase using that as a rallying cry than worried about the logo

It makes for an embarassing google results page as well.....

You didn't SERIOUSLY just equate our 'hail' to Nazism? PLEASE tell me you didn't just go THAT far out of context you're on a different Continent already?

I shall now step away before I say something that will get me in trouble. For that kind of B/S rhetoric will do just that.

HAIL!

Bqbr5ERCQAASPWn.png

I've never witnessed anyone stupid enough to compare HTTR to Skrewdriver. Until now.

WOW!

This topic has us questioning each others fandom.   Imagine what its doing in the locker room.

Probably nothing.  They're getting paid.  Ultimately, the players are mercenaries.  They'll play for whoever drafted them (because they don't have a choice) or whoever will pay them.

The game-changer would be if Robert came out and said publicly that the name was offensive.  That would probably upset the apple cart.  

But he's too damn smart to do that.  He'd alienate a part of the fan base.  

Otherwise, I don't think the players are going to get really worked up over it.  If they changed the logo to a potato, the name to the spuds tomorrow, I'm pretty sure that they'd still play just as hard

It makes for an embarassing google results page as well.Bqbr5ERCQAASPWn.png

You seem to be offended by everything...

Maybe someone knowledgeable with law can help me understand this. If we lost the trademark before in 1999, then appealing it, having it overturned by the courts, why aren't there any protections for the team that prevents this again?  Why can they keep on doing this if we won the appeal the first time?

The dissenting view basically said "Nothing new was presented the last time this was overturned....." The Skins I guess are betting on it happening again because of this.

You seem to be offended by everything...

Creeped out is different than being offended.

I'm also not really personally offended by the name, but I empathize with those who are. I don't really empathize with those that put the name before the city and the players.

I know I'm in the minority on that one.

But TBH I was just trying to have a little fun with him right there cause I've always found his use of Hail to be condescending. So I thought I'd poke the beehive a little.

Bqbr5ERCQAASPWn.png

Hail has been used for centuries before Hilter, and will be used for centuries after him.  

I think you're reaching a little bit.

Hail To The Redskins. 

Maybe some of us don't care at all about the team name ...

I have zero attachment to the name Redskins. My loyalty is to the Washington NFL team. They can be called the Washington Ponies and I would still tune in on Sundays.

Holy crap, I wasn't sure I would ever agree with you on anything.

Now imagine someone else forces your wife to make those changes, for no valid reason with no supporting evidence. You still cool with it? I doubt it. You'd probably fight for her to prevent a change being forced upon her that she doesn't want.

It's other people forcing a change the majority doesn't want, on behalf of people that majority don't agree with them, and using no factual evidence to support their claims. 

Still apples to oranges. One is a person and one is a football team. 

I hate to keep conflating the argument the way the dude comparing HTTR to Nazism did a few posts up, but a lot of changes that needed to happen weren't supported by the businesses they affected and the pro-business public. 

Now, I don't know what that Native American gentleman is thinking, but in that moment, I'd bet money he's not thinking "Well, this is respectful of my heritage."  

What team is that dude even trying to represent?

Cleveland Indians

A Native American group protested their name and logo earlier this year, and douchebag with the head dress tried to have a convo with him.

Archived