Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

I have some perspective on this- my alma mater got rid of Chief Illiniwek in 2007. People still show up to games wearing Chief gear and when the band does the halftime show, there’s still an audible portion of the stadium that chants, “Chieeeeeef!” at the moment he would’ve stepped out and done his dance.

The thing is that over the years there’s that much less Chief gear at the games and the “Chieeeeef,” chant is just a bit quieter each season. 

My school and the Washington Football Team would be stupid to fight the remaining fans showing up in the old gear. The issue is dead, and fighting fans on this would just encourage them. Let them show up in whatever. 

Some fans will convert instantly. Others will wear the old stuff out of protest but switch over the day we have a promising superstar and a decent team (ok that could be a while). A few will wear the old stuff forever out of protest. A few will never come back.

• Like 4
59 minutes ago, Spearfeather said:

I take it you've never liked any Redskins uniforms.

I liked the last three anniversary jerseys . I hate our standard jerseys with a passion though.

I love Joe Gibbs but Burgundy on white is just a color scheme I would sentence someone to death by cannon fire for

Edited by Mr. Sinister
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
6 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

love Joe Gibbs but Burgundy on white is just a color scheme I would sentence someone to death by cannon fire for

I think white jerseys with burgundy pants looks fine but I never liked the burgundy jerseys with white pants.

For me, the burgundy jerseys always looked better with gold pants.

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

That shade of red/yellow is freakin’ sick. I’d love that. It’d be one of the best in the NFL.

Love the darker burgundy there with the yellow helmet...Im still partial to the super shiney gold helmet, but those look good.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Die Hard said:

That shade of red/yellow is freakin’ sick. I’d love that. It’d be one of the best in the NFL.

That is an awesome combination. The tail instead of the feather is absolute genius. Don't really love having the "R" on the helmet, but if you're going to go with that, you need to use the one with the wolf outline near the bottom, not just a straight "R". 

• Like 1

They're not gonna work on this for a year and come out the other side with "Redwolves" as their top option guys. Let's just remember it fondly as a communal fever dream we all shared and laugh about it later. I already feel silly as hell about it.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2
6 minutes ago, Dissident2 said:

That is an awesome combination. The tail instead of the feather is absolute genius. Don't really love having the "R" on the helmet, but if you're going to go with that, you need to use the one with the wolf outline near the bottom, not just a straight "R". 

I love those designs too. If they use those designs with this colour scheme, and I think they would have crushed this branding. Talk about involving the fans in the process too. 

I’m hopeful 😜

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

They're not gonna work on this for a year and come out the other side with "Redwolves" as their top option guys.

I don't think we're going to end up being the Redwolves either.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
19 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

They're not gonna work on this for a year and come out the other side with "Redwolves" as their top option guys. Let's just remember it fondly as a communal fever dream we all shared and laugh about it later. I already feel silly as hell about it.

It's still possible, especially if its tied up in litigation. I wouldn't take any names off the table, right now.

• Like 2
56 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

200.gif

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Instead of sentinels, what about sentries?  It ties into the monument for the tomb of the unknown soldier and the guards who guard it.

21 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

Instead of sentinels, what about sentries?  It ties into the monument for the tomb of the unknown soldier and the guards who guard it.

Well, if they went with Sentinels, at least we could have this as our fight song:

• Like 4

Some options (mostly jokes) my friends and I were tossing around:

- Mid-Atlantic Minute Men, MinuteMade as a key sponsor

- Swamp Rats

- Mid-Atlantic Marauders -DMV Dy-No-mite

- DMV Bureaucrats

- Washingtonians

- Washington Traffic Jams, I suggested shortening to just

- Washington Jam (Smuckers could be a name sponsor)

• Sad 1

you gotta have everything done by April and the draft, so this put it on the shelf for a year is a fallacy. I also do not believe RedWolves is off the table. The new marketing guy today mentioned feedback and participation from ex players and fans as a big part of what they are doing. The fans have clearly spoken that they would be down for RedWolves. So I think everything is still on the table. JMO..

11 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

The name is gone, so is the logo. Can't please everybody. Eventually it will all die down.

I honestly don’t think it will just die down if we retain the reference to ‘Red’ in the name with an R on the helmet for example.

my bet is the current style of block ‘W’ becomes a prominent feature of our branding moving forward. Also fits with Warriors if we go that route.

12 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

I tossed the rest of my Redskins crap out today, not to make a political statement but mainly because the brand is ****e and I'm ready to move forward with our new team.

yeah? Meet new team. Same as old team. 

the rebranding cash injection is definitely going to work. People will eat up new gear when it’s released 😂

question is how long before you all realize changing the logo and name doesn’t change the product on the field. 

I'm OK with that. i really don't care about all the bull**** Snyder has caused this team. Sort it out, but get the hell away from the field. None of the current players or coaches are wrapped up in any of it, so leave them out.
right now th team itself (the actual reason I pay attention to any of this) is full of talented young players, a better crop than we've had here in a long time. and finally we've got some decent coaches to run them.

so long as the product on the field manages to stay clear of the office drama, I'd say it's a good chance that they will soon NOT be the same ol' product.

I'd say in terms of football, we have real reason for optimism for the first time in a very long time.

~Bang

4 minutes ago, Bang said:

I'd say in terms of football, we have real reason for optimism for the first time in a very long time.

~Bang

Probably about the same optimism as when Shanahan was hired. Maybe even less considering Shanny won Super Bowls before he came here. Even less considering how Shanny worked out. Really, there isn’t anything to make me think this WONT work out as terribly as the last time we had a top tier coach here, or the time before that (Gibbs) is the time before that (Schottenhimer).

Basically, I expect a dumpster fire before it’s all over in 2-3 seasons.

12 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

I cant see the team letting anyone in the stadium with anything that says Redskins, just make that a rule and anyone who has a problem with it will get tossed.

I tossed the rest of my Redskins crap out today, not to make a political statement but mainly because the brand is ****e and I'm ready to move forward with our new team.

I really can't see that happening. People can wear what they want. As someone stated earlier, the First Amendment gives people the right to wear whatever they want. Plus the team name/logo Redskins was established, supported, and distributed by the Washington organization for a long time. They can't just throw out all their fans who still associate with that.

As far as myself, I still have my Skins gear and 70th anniversary Jeremiah Trotter jersey (I know, I picked a bad player). I don't really plan on wearing it, I hardly did anyway, but if I go to a sports bar on a Sunday I might. I am all for the name change and am glad they did. I can certainly understand the racist arguments. But I'm not fervid enough to be like "burn this jersey and all the horrible gear" because it doesn't upset me as much as it does others. I still associate it with my team. But I support anyone who wants to, because hey free country. 

• Jumbo locked and unpinned this topic