Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

Just now, The Evil Genius said:

I hope the come for the usernames next. Just to see you guys needlessly **** about something else for 3 ****ing weeks.

I mean, if you came to this thread for anything else that was probably an error in judgement 😀

2 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

I came for new name rumors and designs. It is titled the name change thread.

Well, I'm not sure there'd be many till next offseason with the 2020 uniforms and (lack of) logo being set.

And those exact revelations are what is being ****ed (and counter ****ed) about.

I'm only accountable for a handful of those posts so 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, Painkiller said:

Something that bugged me a lot that I read recently, was Bruce Allen having to give a PowerPoint presentation to the players on how to defend the name. The fact that they felt they had to do this speaks a lot about the kind of distraction this had become for the team.  No other team in the NFL has to deal with that kind of crap.  Winning in the NFL is hard enough without having to deal with dumb questions about the name of the team.

I want our team concerned with one thing and one thing only.  WINNING 

This is really sad lol. Did he really give PowerPoint presentations on how to defend the name? I'm going to patiently wait here to see who's willing to side with the Prince of Darkness on this. 

• Like 1

So...people see it as irrational and unfair that after the official changing of the name they should (eventually, as new habits naturally form) be expected to start using the future new name and leave behind the old name? Seems like a natural consequence of the name change to me, and consciously resisting it past the point of a reasonable adjustment period (different for everyone) is actually the irrational stance. 

I remember asking several years back that if the name did get changed, would that mean that wearing a Redskins jersey would be seen as a racist act. I got ridiculed by some for thinking it could ever be seen as one.

I also asked this year, if the name change now means the word "Redskins" would be scrubbed from all mention n the NFL Hall of Fame. Don't think it got ridiculed lol...but I think it got ignored.

I also remember Cooley asking on whatever show Smith and Kellerman are on, if "Redskins" is considered a racist name does that mean guys like Art Monk and darrell Green calling themselves "Redskins" would be seen as being racist. Both Smith and Kellerman acted appalled and indignant that Cooley would ask such a question.

Now we have some toehead in the WP article losing his **** because the new name won't keep fans from merely thinking the name "Redskins", and may also lead to fans wearing a Redskins jersey...as if there's a name out there that would keep them from doing so anyway. It might be the same toehead who criticized the team (once again in a WP article) for not contacting any Native American leaders before choosing a new name.

For me it's simple:

NAs are no longer in the conversation of the team or it's name. Period. They have no more say-so or right to criticize anything moving forward than the Asian community in Australia does. The team has nothing more to do with you. Stop thinking your voice and opinion still matters in all this. It doesn't. Move on. Go after those teams you swore were next on your list.

The team has no real obligation to take measures to make sure all Redskins fans no longer say the name, use the name, or wear their Skins gear. That's an individual choice. The jerseys and hats were never, EVER, the equivalent of the Confederate flag or the KKK robes. I've already seen a few chuckleheads on twitter trying to make that connection, as well as the current president of the NCAI. The uniform and its emblem were never used as a source of terrorism against NAs nor as something to rally behind to support the subjugation and oppression of American Indians. Making that claim diminished the validity of any argument that uses it as a foundation.

Anyone who spent the last year saying "It's just a name, you're a fan of the team" while encouraging the name be changed...please, PLEASE shut the **** up now if you're eager to complain about "Football Team" lol...however, if you want to remain intellectually honest then by all means continue to tell those who are in full-criticize mode that it's "just a name" and remind those people that they are fans of the team. I'll buy you a beer if you do...(checks wallet)...yep, I'm good lol.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4
8 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

So...people see it as irrational and unfair that after the official changing of the name they should (eventually, as new habits naturally form) be expected to start using the future new name and leave behind the old name? Seems like a natural consequence of the name change to me, and consciously resisting it past the point of a reasonable adjustment period (different for everyone) is actually the irrational stance. 

No, what's irrational is looking at the name being gone in every official capacity, noticing that some who liked the name aren't sufficiently upset at the new placeholder, and then using that as a barometer that things haven't gone far enough.  It's moving the goalposts specifically because people aren't squirming enough.

Edited by Bifflog

I really dont think that many people are still calling the team out over this. But I get it, you wanna find stuff that supports your perceived right to hold on to a lot of your ignorant feelings and emotion. Human nature, I suppose.

Just think it's a waste of time. No ones gonna stop you from saying the name, no ones going to stop you from wearing your jersey (outside of places where rules exist that can make that an issue).

Just know what side of the fence you're on, and don't do it simply because you've got it in your head that it's the "Right" side, or the "Just" side. And don't be upset if you happen across people who have a major problem with it.

• Like 7
5 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Seems like a natural consequence of the name change to me, and consciously resisting it past the point of a reasonable adjustment period (different for everyone) is actually the irrational stance. 

I guess that depends on what you think of " Redskins " in the context of the Washington Football team.

16 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I really dont think that many people are still calling the team out over this. But I get it, you wanna find stuff that supports your perceived right to hold on to a lot of your ignorant feelings and emotion. Human nature, I suppose.

Just think it's a waste of time. No ones gonna stop you from saying the name, no ones going to stop you from wearing your jersey (outside of places where rules exist that can make that an issue).

Just know what side of the fence you're on, and don't do it simply because you've got it in your head that it's the "Right" side, or the "Just" side. And don't be upset if you happen across people who have a major problem with it.

Don't know if would have killed you to address the merits, but that's fine.  I'm not wearing ****, and I'm not saying ****.  I expressed a feeling that, due to the fact that I associate a lot of good times with old team name, it might be somewhat more enjoyable to be faced with the absence of a name for a period of time than a completely new one.  For a crime that high, I guess no one could resist the reply button, had to let me hear about it. 

Edited by Bifflog
18 minutes ago, Bifflog said:

No, what's irrational is looking at the name being gone in every officially capacity, noticing that some who liked the name aren't sufficiently upset at the new placeholder, and then using that as a barometer that things haven't gone far enough.  It's moving the goalposts specifically because people aren't squirming enough.

I'm not talking about the Mike Florios who live off of controversy clicks. Who gives a ****. Nobody here is really voicing those opinions that I can tell, most are happy with the temp solution en route to a more carefully selected and tested new name in the future. 

I'm talking about the fans here who brag that they'll forever use the old name, almost as an act of defiance. Why? It's gonna take time for everyone to adjust and that's a personal journey for us all. But how is it rational to consciously, purposely cling to the past when the name has changed. Does that give people a sense of power or control that they feel "the mob" has taken from them? Like an act of rebellion? It's just an impetuous and bratty response that I can't understand. Things change, sometimes (usually in life) in ways we can't control. Ignoring that and then wearing it as a badge of honor in a defiant way is just an interesting expression of fanhood to me. I get the connection and pull people have to the old name and logo etc. But sometimes things are just over. 

Edit: I'm not saying this is you I'm describing btw. This is just the topic I was getting at in the post you replied to.

Edited by ConnSKINS26
  • Like 1
Just now, ConnSKINS26 said:

I'm not talking about the Mike Florios who live off of controversy clicks. Who gives a ****. Nobody here is really voicing those opinions that I can tell, most are happy with the temp solution en route to a more carefully selected and tested new name in the future. 

I'm talking about the fans here who brag that they'll forever use the old name, almost as an act of defiance. Why? It's gonna take time for everyone to adjust and that's a personal journey for us all. But how is it rational to consciously, purposely cling to the past when the name has changed. Does that give people a sense of power or control that they feel "the mob" has taken from them? Like an act of rebellion? It's just an impetuous and bratty response that I can't understand. Things change, sometimes (usually in life) in ways we can't control. Ignoring that and then wearing it as a badge of honor in a defiant way is just an interesting expression of fanhood to me. I get the connection and pull people have to the old name and logo etc. But sometimes things are just over. 

I largely agree with this.  But, the discussion was prompted by an actual instance of this position, and the reaction to it, and the subsequent reaction to the reaction.

• Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, Bifflog said:

Don't know if would have killed you to address the merits, but that's fine.  I'm not wearing ****, and I'm not saying ****.  I expressed a feeling that, due to the fact that I associate a lot of good times with old team name, it might be somewhat more enjoyable to be faced with the absence of a name for a period of time than a completely new one.  For a crime that high, I guess no one could resist the reply button, had to let me hear about it. 

Okay

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Btw, wasn't even talking about you, just an "In general" statement. But I get it, these are... delicate times

@Spaceman Spiff

Well it was right after my post, on the exact subject and position I was just talking about so...?

It's just irritating to bother engaging with someone who wants to say what amounts to "You do that because you're ignorant and I guess that can't be helped LOL!!!" but then takes the tact of accusing the other party of, I guess, caring too much to expend the effort to respond.  It's bad faith.

And yeah, maybe all of it doesn't apply to me because no, I don't plan to go around saying the old name, or wearing the old stuff, because I generally believe in trying not to upset people within reason.  Still felt like I was an appropriate responder.

Edited by Bifflog
  • Like 1
Just now, Bifflog said:

It's just irritating to bother engaging with someone who want's to say what amounts to "You do that because you're ignorant and I guess that can't be helped LOL!!!" 

Some of you can be helped. The rest should probably go ahead and end it all (unbearable pain and all that)

but then takes the tact of accusing the other party of, I guess, caring too much to expend the effort to respond.  It's bad faith.

I have no idea who or what this is referring to, friend

And yeah, maybe all of it doesn't apply to me because no, I don't plan to go around saying the old name, or wearing the old stuff, because I generally believe in trying not to upset people within reason. 

Good on you. Its perspective like that that helps bring things into focus, a little bit. Every little bit helps.

9 hours ago, max21 said:

The Washington Football team? Uhm is this a sick joke? 

I reckon someone has registered a name they want and now have to go through some legal battles to get it. Hence the interim name. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Bifflog said:

It's just irritating to bother engaging with someone who wants to say what amounts to "You do that because you're ignorant and I guess that can't be helped LOL!!!"

Thats the standard approach to those that really just want to stand on their morally superior soapbox and insult those that dare disagree with them. They don't want a discussion, they want agreement. Best ignore them.

• Jumbo locked and unpinned this topic