Alaskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

Posted (edited)

Ok, it says we can talk about logos here...so with that in mind:

If we do go with the Warriors, I say we should be ultra-progressive and sport the NFL's first female logo, Xena lol...

warrior3.png

Edited by Califan007
  • Like 1
  • Haha 8

Cool. So this is now essentially the team name smorgasbord thread.

With the reboot this is a good time for a snap shot of the current state of affairs. As of this moment here’s what I believe is likely but not yet officially announced:

1. New name: Washington Warriors

2. Team Colors: Classic burgundy and gold. They may have a camouflage uniform variant.

3. Iconography: Definitely not native American. Likely a strong military tie in.

4. Website name: ExtremeSkins likely to be changed to ExtremeWarriors or something similar.

5. Redskinettes: To be renamed and possibly wear form fitting military outfits and combat boots.

5. Ownership situation: Likely stuck with Snyder as majority owner for the foreseeable future. 40% minority stake still up for grabs but Bezos interest is uncertain. However, some interesting rumblings that Fred “WeDeliver” Smith had a failed coup to oust Danny and take over as principle owner. 

Bleh I hope it's not some comically over-militarized nonsense.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dfitzo53 said:

Bleh I hope it's not some comically over-militarized nonsense.

I strongly fear that you will be sadly disappointed.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

How many black people do you think have worn mock Native American garb at Redskins games, by comparison to white people? How many white people do you see at Redskins games (back when the stadium actually had fans) by comparison to black people?

Hey, I don’t actually know that answer.  But the fact of the matter is that the most famous Redskins fan who ever wore American Indian garb was a black man.  

Just now, -JB- said:

Hey, I don’t actually know that answer.  But the fact of the matter is that the most famous Redskins fan who ever wore American Indian garb was a black man.  

Very true. But that fact is irrelevant when discussing the context of the quote you provided.

10 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

you should have the list that dan gave me of his own ideas, and while it was widely varied i heard my voice repeatedly saying "no, no, that's going to be the same sort of problem...yes, yes,  i know you don't mean anything wrong..."

Quite frankly, I thought Danny was going to go with Native American theme, like the Warriors, use the spear logo just to stick it to people that have been pestering him for awhile to change it.  They can't say the name is a racial slur, yet it keeps NA imagery and focus, which would further piss off the crowd that don't think any team should have NA imagery whatsoever.  It'd be the ultimate troll job.

• Like 1

Just now, Mr. Sinister said:

Very true. But that fact is irrelevant when discussing the context of the quote you provided.

How is it irrelevant?  I actually never saw anybody dressed up as a Native American when I was ever at any games.  To say “White guys” just seems obtuse.

I think Warriors makes a lot of sense and is pretty cool. 

• Like 2

I'm on the Redwolves bandwagon.. Yes we killed them off in VA over a century ago. But its unique, I can live with it.. #WashingtonRedwolves.. Start the movement..

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, -JB- said:

How is it irrelevant?  I actually never saw anybody dressed up as a Native American when I was ever at any games.  To say “White guys” just seems obtuse.

Its irrelevant because at nearly  every game I've seen, or been to, I have seen that, along with Zee. It's a pretty common getup with teams that have Native names or imagery, all majority white.

The concept of cultural appropriation itself (especiallyin a historical context), while deeply woven and not without variables, largely revolves around white people, at least when it comes to the United States of America.

It may not seem right, or fair, or may be obtuse to some. But it's the truth. Liking it is optional 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Not sure how they use Washington Warriors without Native American imagery.  This should be good.

Can always revert to Native American imagery down the road, even if they shift away for the time being.

Posted (edited)

why bother changing anything if we're not going to stop the protests?

honestly I think this will make the changers even madder, they're hoping we'll be the first domino and if we keep everything but the name they accomplish almost nothing from a momentum standpoint and its obvious that's what they're looking for.

I'd bet my soul that the people who have been pushing for a change will not only freak out but they'd get even louder if we went with warriors. 

Edited by redskinss

31 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

But regardless, what, prey tell, is the 'EPL?' 

It's what people outside of the UK often call English Premier League.

I could deal with just the Washington Wolves. The colors can stay the same. 
I'd prefer it to Warriors. 
A name doesn't HAVE to be a local reference, I don't think Bengal tigers are native to Ohio, there probably hasn't been a bear outside of a zoo or circus in Chicago in a long time, for example.

~Bang

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Its irrelevant because at nearly  every game I've seen, or been to, I have seen that, along with Zee. It's a pretty common getup with teams that have Native names or imagery, all majority white.

The concept of cultural appropriation itself (especiallyin a historical context), while deeply woven and not without variables, largely revolves around white people, at least when it comes to the United States of America.

It may not seem right, or fair, or may be obtuse to some. But it's the truth. Liking it is optional 

redskinsfan7.jpg

Look at this guy, happy as **** in his Heath Shuler jersey, appropriating all over the place.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 3

I did a quick google search (for Heath Shuler, I wanted to make sure he really was #5) and while there are certainly a fair amount of Redskins fans photos like the doofus above, there's a lot more photos of the Chiefs fans dressing up like Native Americans.  That's not surprising seeing as they're a popular team that won the Super Bowl but I wonder if they're catching any flak in the wake of what's going on here with our team.

27 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

They could just the same choose to use this picture.  But they won’t.  

EB8F238D-2004-436E-A951-02DFA31433BA.jpeg