Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

Does anyone really think the new name should be based around being able to tweak and keep the fight song? That's gonna go too, right? The NFL does NOT want fans in the stadium (inevitably) singing the old words about Redskins on TV after finally getting rid of the name. No way people stick with the new lyrics at first, and for a long time after, both out of spite and habit.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Does anyone really think the new name should be based around being able to tweak and keep the fight song? That's gonna go too, right? The NFL does NOT want fans in the stadium (inevitably) singing the old words about Redskins on TV after finally getting rid of the name. No way people stick with the new lyrics at first, and for a long time after, both out of spite and habit.

Doubt it after reading this article on ESPN.com:  https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29419164/native-american-groups-ask-nfl-force-washington-redskins-change-name

From the article:  

Retired PGA Tour golfer Notah Begay, IllumiNative founder Crystal Echo Hawk, two former executive directors of the National Congress of American Indians, and several authors and professors signed on to the letter, which requested a full rebranding of the team "to ensure that continuing harm is not perpetuated by anyone."

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I wonder if they'd have to tear down RFK and build something totally new...or if they could just renovate the hell out of it and make it really nice.  I'm assuming a total teardown and a fancy new stadium is what'll happen, but it'd be awesome to watch a Redskins game at RFK again.  

RFK only held about 50,000. They might be able to use the site but it would need a much bigger stadium on it.

1 hour ago, slinky said:

How long before ESPN bans all replays of Redskins games... How long before YouTube removes all Redskins videos... How long before eBay prohibits selling of Redskins possessions... How long before they remove "Redskins" references from the Hall of Fame... how long before...

Muriel Bowser will send Thanos and Voldemort to your house if you even reminisce on a Chris Cooley touchdown play.

Don’t tempt it. 

Edited by BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4
20 minutes ago, pigskinned said:

Most these places now smugly and loudly asserting the moral high ground by discontinuing redskins merchandise, will quietly have it back on the shelves by the end of September if the name don't change.

There is absolutely 0% chance the name stays the same, are you living in last week still? It's a completely done deal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

There is absolutely 0% chance the name stays the same, are you living in last week still? It's a completely done deal.

Dan can't be forced to change the name.  The fans don't want it changed and neither does he.  It hasn't changed yet.  He remains silent and unavailable.  The news cycle has a short attention span.  

Don't count your chickens.

Michael Wilbon think it’s all a ruse. He thinks there’s no way Dan changes the name. What may happen for the name to change, is for the NFL force Dan to sell.

If that happened, I would love it. Maybe this name change thing, leds to Dan parting with the Redskins or at least give up main control of the team. He just remains as a minority owner.

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, pigskinned said:

Dan can't be forced to change the name.  The fans don't want it changed and neither does he.  It hasn't changed yet.  He remains silent and unavailable.  The news cycle has a short attention span.  

Don't count your chickens.

Our own HC is giving interviews talking about how he ideally wants it done before training camp, and how they have two names so far that he and Snyder like. You're in deep denial, man. Just accept it. 

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Michael Wilbon think it’s all a ruse. He thinks there’s no way Dan changes the name. What may happen for the name to change, is for the NFL force Dan to sell.

If that happened, I would love it. Maybe this name change thing, leds to Dan parting with the Redskins or at least give up main control of the team. He just remains as a minority owner.

The more he waits, the more this goes from far fetched to having some legs, potentially. Don't know what the holdup is. A "Review" shouldn't take you 3 days

3 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/ill-believe-when-i-see-it-skip-bayless-doubts-redskins-will-actually-change-their-name

Skip Bayless has to be one of the absolute dumbest people in sports media today.  He's the absolute worst.  I can't tell if he really believes the stuff he says or if it's just schtick but whatever it is, it's asinine.  

I'm pretty sure it's a shtick. Hard to believe his brother is a world class chef.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

If the current three minority owners sell to the same buyer, that's 40%. 11% more bought from Snyder means a new majority owner. But I doubt it happens. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

Doubt it after reading this article on ESPN.com:  https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29419164/native-american-groups-ask-nfl-force-washington-redskins-change-name

From the article:  "Retired PGA Tour golfer Notah Begay, IllumiNative founder Crystal Echo Hawk, two former executive directors of the National Congress of American Indians, and several authors and professors signed on to the letter, which requested a full rebranding of the team "to ensure that continuing harm is not perpetuated by anyone."

I hope it doesn't have to go this way, and there is room for compromise.

I know there are folks who want everything stripped down and built anew, but I'd argue if it's been agonizing watching Danny doodle on top of the the Mona Lisa for 20 years, just imagine what he can muster on a blank canvas...

Edited by Bifflog
  • Thanks 1
39 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

The more he waits, the more this goes from far fetched to having some legs, potentially. Don't know what the holdup is. A "Review" shouldn't take you 3 days

3 days is fine to get themselves in position for one shot to make sure folks don't try to set everything with our old name on fire after we change. 

Don't all three of our super bowl rings say Redskins on them?  The longer this takes, the uglier it's going to get for us.  

Picking a stadium in DC over the name should be easy, ya'll.  The opening game in Nats Park was a walk-off homerun, saw it live.  That could be us one day...or go out like a bunch confederate statues. 

NFL should take team from Snyder if he goes that route, then again, NFL plans to play black national anthem before apologizeg to Kapernick.  

Epstein didn't kill himself.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, MartinC said:

RFK only held about 50,000. They might be able to use the site but it would need a much bigger stadium on it.

Isn't new one supposed to be smaller then FedEx.

Dare some propose renevating it, could have that bad boy ready by 2021 opener.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 1
7 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Don't know what the holdup is. A "Review" shouldn't take you 3 days

I think the issue is that they are still stuck at choosing between the final two names, and social distancing issues are preventing Dan and Ron doing a round of rock, paper, scissors to get the winner.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Will saying HTTR be considered hate speech once the name change takes affect ? 

Lets say im walking through the stadium and i have a senior moment and see another fan wearing his RedTails #17 Jersey, and I'm all like HAIL TO THE REDSKINS  ! and little do i know some dude behind me is livecasting and captures the moment, Next thing i know i end up on ****ter and TMZ as racist NFL FAN ,Am i going to lose my job ? 

Asking for a friend. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
49 minutes ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

Lets say im walking through the stadium and i have a senior moment and see another fan wearing his RedTails #17 Jersey, and I'm all like HAIL TO THE REDSKINS  ! and little do i know some dude behind me is livecasting and captures the moment, Next thing i know i end up on ****ter and TMZ as racist NFL FAN ,Am i going to lose my job ? 

Asking for a friend. 

I don't think I've ever said that to anybody wearing Skins gear.  Ever. Dunno how it is overseas, but here in the DC Area, you're more likely to just get laughed at ("Ha! Look at that dorky Redskins fan! What a loser! " ) than anything else if you did say it. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

So, do we really think they can change the name and rebrand an NFL team before the 2020 season?  IF, there is a season.  However, IF there is a season, they have a game in 9 weeks!  How will you handle all the logistics of changing the name.  At best, we are probably going to hear about some plan that will be phased in and IF there is a season, we will have, depending on how you look at it, a lame duck year a la the Raiders that just feels hollow, or a farewell tour where long time fans get to sing Hail to the Redskins for the last season.

1 hour ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

Asking for a friend. 

I work with Antifa’s Central VA chapter and sat in on a conference call with AOC last week where we discussed the name change. Our Cancel Culture department plans on enacting laws against saying ***skins, so yes that would be (at minimum subject) to fines. 

Edited by skinsfan_1215
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7
2 minutes ago, RFK Lives said:

So, do we really think they can change the name and rebrand an NFL team before the 2020 season?  IF, there is a season.  However, IF there is a season, they have a game in 9 weeks!  How will you handle all the logistics of changing the name.  At best, we are probably going to hear about some plan that will be phased in and IF there is a season, we will have, depending on how you look at it, a lame duck year a la the Raiders that just feels hollow, or a farewell tour where long time fans get to sing Hail to the Redskins for the last season.

There ain't gonna be a season. I think they'll allow camps and scrimmages , and then by early-mid August they'll have no choice but to close up shop.

Dunno what that means for a change timetable.  I feel like atm it's more important to remove the current name than to change it to something else. For that, it shouldn't take more than the amount of time that has already elapsed 

• Like 3
  • Jumbo changed the title to The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)
  • Jumbo locked this topic
  • Jumbo pinned this topic
  • Jumbo unlocked this topic
  • Jumbo featured and unfeatured this topic
  • Jumbo locked and unlocked this topic
  • Jumbo locked and unpinned this topic