Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

43 minutes ago, mistertim said:

That's an interesting question. Looks like Extremewarriors.com is taken but Extremeredtails.com isn't...  (gets out credit card)

ExtremeRedTails sounds like the name of an amateur spanking fetish site. NTTAWWT

• Haha 4
2 minutes ago, SkinsHokieFan said:

Not happening. No way DC residents pony up 1 billion for a stadium 

Maybe not a billion and certainly not all will be against funding in some fashion. The city itself will certainly come up with an offer to try and attract the rebranded Washington football franchise. Will be incredibly interesting to see how the new stadiums location search is conducted.

Cant be anyworse than last time right? 😬

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Jumbo said:

ok, now i'm extending posting about this off-topic matter, and a board matter at that, which is usually not we do as all the good posters here know

but i will award myself special dispensation given the seismic nature of the nuttery foisted upon the other participants :P, though many of them may still suffer from the horrid conditions of advanced leftyism anyway

so while a lot igwad's posts were off-topic and your basic nutjob patchwork quilt of delusion, and will still generate some replies for awhile, i think they may also be serving a bipartisan humanitarian purpose

but i'm open to the community (which is not a mob)

Jumbo, I love you man, but I gotta say, I have read this post about 7 times, and I really still have no idea what your'e trying to say...  

Which might have been the point, I'm not entirely sure.  

• Haha 2
16 minutes ago, clietas said:

Maybe not a billion and certainly not all will be against funding in some fashion. The city itself will certainly come up with an offer to try and attract the rebranded Washington football franchise. Will be incredibly interesting to see how the new stadiums location search is conducted.

Cant be anyworse than last time right? 😬

I'd like to remind everybody that Jack Kent Cooke had 3 superbowl rings, a MASSIVELY popular team, and the name issue was not a sticking point in the 80's and 90's, and he couldn't get DC to make a deal to even fund the infrastructure around the stadium he was going to build.

Name or no name, the stadium isn't going into DC.  It's sad, but it's reality.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

I live in New Mexico and I have a lot of Native American friends. They all like the Name and feel pride towards “The Redskins”. 

If they change the name I will root for another team despite being a die hard fan for 45 years. 

If you are someone who thinks the name should change then you have no clue about racism in this country and what it’s going to take to improve race relations. Changing the name will have NO effect on race relations. Changing the name will NOT improve a single persons life.

Leave the name alone, stop posting ignorant things on the internet and get out in your community And volunteer your time. That’s how you change the world!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 2
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I'd like to remind everybody that Jack Kent Cooke had 3 superbowl rings, a MASSIVELY popular team, and the name issue was not a sticking point in the 80's and 90's, and he couldn't get DC to make a deal to even fund the infrastructure around the stadium he was going to build.

Name or no name, the stadium isn't going into DC.  It's sad, but it's reality.

Difference is the mayor actually wants the team in the district this time plus they already have the MCI Center and Nats Park as models of what a stadium can do for the city.

Edit: i see 98Orapko has rejoined the chat with a new username. 

Edited by spjunkies
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
Just now, spjunkies said:

Difference is the mayor actually wants the team in the district this time plus they already have the MCI Center and Nats Park as models of what a stadium can do for the city.

Maybe.  But the residents around the RFK site absolutely do not want the stadium there, and they are very vocal about it.

Also, there's something very different about an indoor multi-use facility which hosts NBA, NHL and other events, and has something going on roughly 2/3rds of the nights in the year, a baseball stadium hosting at least 81 games (1/4 of the days of the year, and a football stadium which has 8 home games a year for economic development.

I think the name thing for the mayor has been somewhat cover.  She might want it, but it's not going to happen.  The votes aren't there, as far as I know, on the city council.  

I don't want to derail this thread on a stadium discussion.  My point is that I think the name of the team is irrelevant to the stadium's chances being in DC, because I don't think it was going to happen under any scenario.  I'd love to be wrong on this.  But that's my feeling based on what I have read about the positions of the people living in the city and the council.  

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Jumbo, I love you man, but I gotta say, I have read this post about 7 times, and I really still have no idea what your'e trying to say...  

tenor.gif

• Haha 2
8 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Also, there's something very different about an indoor multi-use facility which hosts NBA, NHL and other events, and has something going on roughly 2/3rds of the nights in the year, a baseball stadium hosting at least 81 games (1/4 of the days of the year, and a football stadium which has 8 home games a year for economic development.

But 2026 the World Cup comes to the US. If DC wants games here, they need better facilities.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

But 2026 the World Cup comes to the US. If DC wants games here, they need better facilities.

There aint no way there will be a stadium anywhere by 2026. Regardless of where it is.  

• Like 1
Just now, Voice_of_Reason said:

Maybe.  But the residents around the RFK site absolutely do not want the stadium there, and they are very vocal about it.

I think the name thing for the mayor has been somewhat cover.  She might want it, but it's not going to happen.  The votes aren't there, as far as I know, on the city council.  

I don't want to derail this thread on a stadium discussion.  My point is that I think the name of the team is irrelevant to the stadium's chances being in DC, because I don't think it was going to happen under any scenario.  I'd love to be wrong on this.  But that's my feeling based on what I have read about the positions of the people living in the city and the council.  

There is another possibility. Dan likes to one up Jerruh - although he typically fails but still.  If so, there is a possibility he largely funds it himself. Like him or not he is a diehard long time fan. He is a horrible owner overall, but he is still a fan. That much i stand by. So I would see him selling the team before moving to another city. 

If they change the name, while he may not get all the stadium paid for, maybe he could get 20% like Jerruh. Something to think about. 

1 minute ago, goskins10 said:

There is another possibility. Dan likes to one up Jerruh - although he typically fails but still.  If so, there is a possibility he largely funds it himself. Like him or not he is a diehard long time fan. He is a horrible owner overall, but he is still a fan. That much i stand by. So I would see him selling the team before moving to another city. 

If they change the name, while he may not get all the stadium paid for, maybe he could get 20% like Jerruh. Something to think about. 

Based on what I've heard, it's both payment but also the fact the neighborhood around RFK has changed, and the residents in the area want some type of multi-use park/recreation space to include commercial and residential buildings which have become so popular, and not a sports facility.  

It's less about money, I think Dan knows he's going to have to pay for the stadium himself.  He needs the approval of the council. And I don't think he's going to get it.  

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Based on what I've heard, it's both payment but also the fact the neighborhood around RFK has changed, and the residents in the area want some type of multi-use park/recreation space to include commercial and residential buildings which have become so popular, and not a sports facility.  

It's less about money, I think Dan knows he's going to have to pay for the stadium himself.  He needs the approval of the council. And I don't think he's going to get it.  

this right here. The population around RFK today is much more politically connected & has no interest in an NFL stadium there. 

Nats Park barely got approved back in ‘05 after DC had been begging for baseball for a generation. No way an NFL stadium is built in DC 

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

There aint no way there will be a stadium anywhere by 2026. Regardless of where it is.  

Nats Park was approved in 05 and opened in 08, would it take that long?

6 minutes ago, SkinsHokieFan said:

Nats Park barely got approved back in ‘05 after DC had been begging for baseball for a generation. No way an NFL stadium is built in DC 

That was on tax payer dime though, would it be different with private financing? 

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Riggo#44 said:

Nats Park was approved in 05 and opened in 08, would it take that long?

That was on tax payer dime though, would it be different with private financing? 

Dan isn’t going to be able to privately pay for a 1B plus stadium. 

Along with it, his reputation is horrendous. What politician will see any boost for doing him a favor? 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, SkinsHokieFan said:

Dan isn’t going to be able to privately pay for a 1B plus stadium. 

Along with it, his reputation is horrendous. What politician will see any boost for doing him a favor? 

Yeah, Snyder would have to pay for most, if not all. However, didnt he pay for improvements to FedEx out of pocket, or did he receive state funding? I don't remember.

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

Edit: i see 98Orapko has rejoined the chat with a new username. 

N/m, im not helping.  Noticed that post, too, that's all I got.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

you shouldn't volunteer admissions like that, but then we're many years past that horse being out the barn :P

the in crowd got it :ols:

• Haha 2

Building a business case around a baseball park is way easier than a football stadium. The costs are roughly the same but you’re talking about 81+ events a season (2-3M fans) versus 10-11 events a season (750k fans).

Plus you can even make the payoff sweeter for dc residents with free/cheap tickets at off-peak games. This seems trivial but it’s a huge boon for working class families who could never imagine attending a pro sporting event. (You laugh, but I once got free Cubs tickets to an April game where it was in the 20s. There were families there covered in blankets and it was obvious that game was a big deal for them).

Even if you throw in a couple of concerts and intl soccer games, youre essentially asking for something that gets used 15-20 times a year and is really only accessible to the upper middle class and above on a regular basis.

i could see a path forward if Audi Field hadn’t been built, (MLS+NFL starts to work, and other cities have shown you can make it work for both teams) but it’s really hard to make the math work for a stadium right now.

Just get the Fed to print some money for an infrastructure project. 

Seriously, I feel like they are going too fast now in changing the name. They should really be floating some of the possibilities and not just select one behind closed doors. 

2 hours ago, mistertim said:

Yeah I feel the same way. I wouldn't go nuts about it but I hope they keep the B&G. I don't see any reason why they wouldn't...it's not like those colors themselves are offensive. They're just colors. I suppose if the team decided to make a complete break from the past, but I think that's unlikely for Dan to do. 

Man the colors going would crush me 10x worse than the name.  The uniforms should probably see tweakery based on whatever the new theme is but I hope they build that theme with our colors in mind.

• Like 7
  • Jumbo changed the title to The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)
  • Jumbo locked this topic
  • Jumbo pinned this topic
  • Jumbo unlocked this topic
  • Jumbo featured and unfeatured this topic
  • Jumbo locked and unlocked this topic
  • Jumbo locked and unpinned this topic