Alaskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

Thursday’s statement from FedEx, the company founded by Washington minority partner Fred Smith, opposing the name of the team stunned many around the league. However, the public assault on a name that Washington owner Daniel Snyder had said would never change wasn’t the result of an epiphany for Smith. Per a source with knowledge of the situation, Smith had been trying to get Snyder to change the name for “years.”

Smith’s dissatisfaction with the name and other issues already had brought Smith to a point where he, along with fellow minority owner Dwight Schar, had actively been trying to sell their pieces of the team. However, both have to date been unable to find a buyer.

These dynamics make it even more reasonable to wonder whether, behind the scenes, Smith, Schar, and/or minority owner Robert Rothman are hoping that, ultimately, Snyder decides to sell his controlling interest in the franchise. If he does, it may be easier for Smith and Schar to find buyers. Or maybe they’ll decide that they prefer to stick around if someone else (like, say, Amazon founder and Washington Post owner Jeff Bezos) takes over the team.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

We should have a poll only thread with the question:

With the name changing, possibly by the time train camp starts; will you remain a fan?

Yes

No

Just a poll only thread.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

too long to quote but worth the read

this echoes my views almost perfectly.  Well said VoR...

(def a beer over a donut, thanks)

22 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Bottom line up front: It is time for the Redskins to change the team name.

1. First, let me start with this: the people who just definitively say, "the name is racist, end of argument, it's akin to the "n-word" are WRONG. It's not. That's a factually incorrect statement for personal and political gain.

The above is all I needed. But did read the rest so yes you still owe me a donut.  🙂  

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

These dynamics make it even more reasonable to wonder whether, behind the scenes, Smith, Schar, and/or minority owner Robert Rothman are hoping that, ultimately, Snyder decides to sell his controlling interest in the franchise. If he does, it may be easier for Smith and Schar to find buyers. Or maybe they’ll decide that they prefer to stick around if someone else (like, say, Amazon founder and Washington Post owner Jeff Bezos) takes over the team.

inject this into my veins... please, danny, sell the team!!!

(the Washington Primes ain't too bad if Bezos buys the franchise.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Could not disagree with this more. Let me give you an analogy. I have a friend whose name is Michael Trent XXXXX (first an middle name, last name withheld to protect the innocent, in this case you 🙂 He is crazy.    I knew him for more than 10 yrs. We lost track of each other for while. He came back to the area and we reconnected through a mutual friend. But now he was Trent. I didn't forget all the good times i had with Mike. It's the same guy. Why would that change? 

Many fans - likely including me - will remember things as the Redskins. So Joe Gibbs and the Redskins. But some may talk about those days as remember the Warriors old coach Joe Gibbs. Either way, Riggins still scores on 4th and 1 from the 42 in SB 17. How does that change because they change the name? They still have 3 SBs. That does not go away. It's still their history. 

I recognize your right to your feelings. But I have to admit I have a hard time following that the entire prior team and what they accomplished is all locked up and suddenly is not part of this new namerd team.   

The difference is Mike could go back to calling himself Mike anytime because no one thinks Mike is offensive, and therefore any of his previous exploits as Mike are fine to relive and review.  Meanwhile, what makes you think any of the old gear would be allowed in a stadium, any of the highlights would ever be shown again, or any of the thousands of Youtube videos would be allowed to persist if it's all in service of a team-admitted slur?  How is that stuff NOT going to end up cordoned off with a tarp thrown over it?  Maybe I'll be proven wrong, and maybe as everything rolls on I'll come around, I'd prefer it, but like someone said earlier I'm not going to fake it.

And of course I'm not pretending that there was any avoiding this forever, I just hoped to see them win it all one more time beforehand, it is sobering to say with 1000% certainty that the Redskins will never win another Super Bowl.

1 minute ago, Bifflog said:

The difference is Mike could go back to calling himself Mike anytime because no one thinks Mike is offensive, and therefore any of his previous exploits as Mike are fine to relive and review.  Meanwhile, what makes you think any of the old gear would be allowed in a stadium, any of the highlights would ever be shown again, or any of the thousands of Youtube videos would be allowed to persist if it's all in service of a team-admitted slur?  How is that stuff NOT going to end up cordoned off with a tarp thrown over it?  Maybe I'll be proven wrong, and maybe as everything rolls on I'll come around, I'd prefer it, but like someone said earlier I'm not going to fake it.

And of course I'm not pretending that there was any avoiding this forever, I just hoped to see them win it all one more time beforehand, it is sobering to say with 1000% certainty that the Redskins will never win another Super Bowl.

With all due respect you are taking this to an unrealistic extreme. Once the name is changed people know you can't erase history. And who says changing the name admits anything? The position can and likely will be "While we still feel like the name Redskins represents pride and honor, we recognize that the name offends some people. Out of respect, we are changing the name to XXX."  

The highlights are the highlights - which BTW only has an impact where the name is on the field and they can edit that out. The players do not have the name on them. 

I am not sure what you think you are being asked to fake. That you support the name change? You have no requirement. You get to make your own mind up. I think you are way over thinking the results of a name change. But that's just me. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

44 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Thursday’s statement from FedEx, the company founded by Washington minority partner Fred Smith, opposing the name of the team stunned many around the league. However, the public assault on a name that Washington owner Daniel Snyder had said would never change wasn’t the result of an epiphany for Smith. Per a source with knowledge of the situation, Smith had been trying to get Snyder to change the name for “years.”

Smith’s dissatisfaction with the name and other issues already had brought Smith to a point where he, along with fellow minority owner Dwight Schar, had actively been trying to sell their pieces of the team. However, both have to date been unable to find a buyer.

Man, talk about a shot in the arm if he just packed his bags

• Haha 1

DCFC (DC football club) just has a nice ring to me. 

I know most Americans hate soccer but I think emphasis should be on the city/region instead of the name 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

I am not sure what you think you are being asked to fake. That you support the name change? You have no requirement. You get to make your own mind up. I think you are way over thinking the results of a name change. But that's just me. 

No one's asking me to fake anything, I know that, certainly nobody cares if some random guy doesn't care about the team anymore.  It's me asking myself to fake it, and the thing  in question is emotional investment.  I would like to still care, and at the same time have no interest in something other than the team I was rooting for before.  How different it feels, I will have to try on.

And I actually both support the name change intellectually, and have felt guilty hoping to put it off for as long as possible.  So in my mind it is both a good and proper thing to happen, and also a painful one personally.

At the end of the day, it's all still just entertainment, so it's not like I take it deathly serious, but that works both ways a little also.  If there's too much friction, it starts to be less fun.  The biggest thing I've noticed since this reality set in is that I've had no interest in perusing the latest in the new player/coaches threads.  

Edited by Bifflog

My 2 cents as a rival fan:

I think the name has to change, just due to the perception by so many that name "Redskins" is a term used to categorize a group of people based on the color of their skin.  I understand the argument that it refers to something else, but the reality is that there is a history of the term being primarily used in a derogatory manner.

From my perspective, I don't believe team names like the Indians or Braves are inherently racist.  I do see the Cleveland Indians logo as being offensive, but not the name.  On the other hand, I do not see the Redskins logo as offensive in any way. To me it is a symbol that signifies the strength and dignity of Native Americans. I personally think the Warriors, with the spear/feathers logo would be a good option.  However, anything related to Native American culture may create further backlash.  So, I understand why some would want to avoid that.

On a side note, I grew up with some friends that were Lakota Sioux.  They definitely faced frequent bigotry and racism from idiots in school and the broader community.  I don't recall the term Redskin being used, but I'm sure it was by some.  I do remember one of my closer Lakota friends talking about being rejected by many in his former community because his family left the reservation to seek a better life.  They would refer to him as an "apple", meaning red on the outside, white on the inside.  That is the only time I remember talking with him about anyone referring to "red skin".

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, Bifflog said:

Yeah, it must just manifest itself differently, because I am feeling ill about the entire process for all the same reasons above.

And I can get where you're coming from and can see how you'd feel that way. I'm just explaining how I personally feel about it. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Dan isn't the most competent dude so that's certainly in play.  I am not a UnWise Mike guy to say the least.  But I stumbled on this tweet catching up on stuff.   but it somewhat hits a point about Dan if true. 

Yeah, Im gonna go with Keim here...

On 7/4/2020 at 5:52 AM, Panninho said:

.....not being honest to yourself.......

Almost perfect. But some are being completely honest. They just can't see the system they were born into.

Maybe

The Washington Red Pills

Good post, Nerm. I will offer my two cents here, as a lifelong fan and son of the District, but also as a professor of U.S. history.

It's definitely correct to say that many Native Americans have not been especially offended by the name. I'd say, however, that this needs to be nuanced a bit. For most I've spoken to and read about, it's simply that this issue pales in comparison to others like land treaties, denial of religious freedom, economic misery, etc. I also think the numbers of the un-offended are fairly inflated or misrepresented by limited polling methodologies.

But the history of the term is pretty unsettling. I grew up going to the natural history museum (we lived a walk away on Capitol Hill), and loved the Native American stuff and it all seemed cool to root against the Cowboys. Since I began serious historical studies back in the late 1980s/early 1990s, I've kept encountering source after source of colonizers boasting about how many "redskins" they'd killed, or Andrew Jackson ordering his troops to cut off the noses of the "red skinned savages," or how the reservation system was founded with the explicit goal of Christianizing the "red race." So while not everyone has used the term this way, it's pretty hard for me to be comfortable with the team name. And I think pretending that history doesn't exist or doesn't matter is at the heart of a lot of America's social problems, the name of a football team being but one small example.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, goskins10 said:

With all due respect you are taking this to an unrealistic extreme. Once the name is changed people know you can't erase history.

Well, we do.  But I think there are some people who will think it's necessary to go farther, to edit out any mention of the name in past broadcasts, etc.  I think those people are completely loony, but I could absolutely see it happening. 

However, most are going to be fine with a "from now on" approach, and let history be history.  

1 hour ago, Nerm said:

I do see the Cleveland Indians logo as being offensive, but not the name.

I think they changed the logo to just a capital "C" a few years ago because the logo was massively racist and insulting.  I just went to look and everything I found was just a "C"

• Thanks 1

Rivera is definitely earning his money. “Congrats, Ron. I’ll be on my yacht while you deal with Covid, George Floyd, and our name. Make the playoffs or you’re done.”

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

And I can get where you're coming from and can see how you'd feel that way. I'm just explaining how I personally feel about it. 

Definitely, appreciate you engaging with me on it.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Dan isn't the most competent dude so that's certainly in play.  I am not a UnWise Mike guy to say the least.  But I stumbled on this tweet catching up on stuff.   but it somewhat hits a point about Dan if true. 

UnWise Mike is an idiot.  I did a charity bike ride, one of One Man Gang's ride for somethingorother YEARS ago, and UnWise Mike was one of the local celebrity folks, and rode.  I actually had a chance to talk to him, while we were riding, and we didn't talk about anything name related, just random football stuff.  He came across as a know-it-all, and really honestly ignorant and uninformed about everything.  I kindof regret not "losing control" and bumping him down the ravine as the W&OD trail gets ready to cross 28... But I guess I do have morals.  

To this tweet, I think if Dan said he was going to take his time, Mike would have tweeted to call him tone deaf and that he was resistant to change, and essentially call him a racist, which he's done countless times.  When Dan moves quickly, and it should be noted he's moving quickly AFTER spending YEARS defending the name, so it's not exactly like he flinched at the first move, now he's reckless and impulsive.  

This is just sour grapes from a guy who's actually won his individual battle.  

I'm really irritated with myself now I didn't send Wise down the side of the bike trail when I had my chance 12-13 years ago.  Now I'm mad.  :P 

• Haha 3

Posted (edited)

I might stop watching football all together if the REDSKINS cave to the "woke" mob and change their name.

Racist anti American communists like Colin Kaepernick will run the NFL into the ground and I'll sit back and laugh while the league crashes and burns, kinda like what antifa and BLM is doing across all major us cities. More important things to think about like saving the USA from a communist revolutionary takeover by Marxist university establishment indoctrinated youth.

Screenshot_20200704-224331_Chrome.jpg

https://www.discoverthenetworks.org/organizations/political-correctness-cultural-marxism/ Political Correctness & Cultural Marxism

http://archive.discoverthenetworks.org/Articles/culturalwaronwesterncivilization.html The Cultural War on Western Civilization

Edited by 98ORAKPO98
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)

Goodbye to you! If your thin skin can't handle people speaking out against wrongdoing then **** off.

Edited by spjunkies
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Good lord you're a disaster. I always assumed this is what the Tailgate was like and it's why I stopped coming in here YEARS ago after having to read NavyDave's ignorance about gay marriage or some such way back when. 

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Good lord you're a disaster. I always assumed this is what the Tailgate was like and it's why I stopped coming in here YEARS ago after having to read NavyDave's ignorance about gay marriage or some such way back when. 

Are you referring to me? Facts hurt your feelings? What exactly is a disaster?

• Confused 2

6 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Most of the Tailgate regulars are generally awesome tho.

• Like 12