Alaskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

Washington Indians

Cleveland Redskins

It's a win win situation.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

ES will have to be overhauled when the change comes. Could just be a name change but if the colors change, major change.

We're about ready for an upgrade, they seem to change the boards up every 3-4 years anyway. 

4 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Or Bravehearts, or Redhawks (too close to Seahawks), Warriors is out anyway, the trademark request was denied. Give me something original with a cool logo.  Problem is, most suggestions sound like an Arena team or a MiLB team

I was definitely not sold on warriors or Red Hawks either for the same reasons, I still am partial to something specific to the area with a cool logo

1 minute ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

I think the marketing company he'll likely pay a lot of money to has a better chance to get it right, and it seems Snyder is also trusting Rivera to be by his side during this process. I have no idea what to expect but I'm not going into it pessimistic because I'm just happy it's happening.

Thank Holy God Allen isn't involved!

Just now, alwaysaskin said:

I was definitely not sold on warriors or Red Hawks either for the same reasons, I still am partial to something specific to the area with a cool logo

My leaders would be Redtails or Redhogs. Hail to the Tails/Hogs has a nice ring to it.

Maybe if they wanna go 180 and try to pay respect, they can just be the Washington Americans or the Washington Nation so we can still keep the logo or just make reference to the spear? That or something with Hogs.

I dunno... I may be ignorant here, but I really would like to keep our colors and a reference to our logos without offending anyone.

• Like 1

A few I've seen that I like so far:

Warthogs

Statesmen

Diplomats 

Redtails

1 minute ago, spjunkies said:

WOW this is really going to go down!

They have an easy one: Spiders. The original Cleveland name.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Thank Holy God Allen isn't involved!

My leaders would be Redtails or Redhogs. Hail to the Tails/Hogs has a nice ring to it.

I think I really like the Red Hogs, in honor of Boss Hog

• Like 1

The Washington Wabbits.

If we do go with the Hogs or some variant I'd love for the announcers to get the right if we win for them to sign off with

A-be-a-be-a-be-a That's all folks!"

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, visionary said:

Hmmm.

Riverfish

Ratsnakes

River fish sounds too baseball minor league-y. Ratsnakes... Hard pass

Red tails and Warhogs seem to be easiest on the soul so far...

Edited by Mr. Sinister
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

I agree, the change is inevitable, and not doing it now would be the most Snyder-ian move ever. While I agree with @Califan007 on the reasons why, it's moot at this point.

However, since interest in this team is at an all-time low, it only adds to the risk. A stupid/boring nickname can be catastrophic, a poor design will lead to poor sales. There is a lot of money spent in designing, developing, marketing, and distributing new material like this. Many assume it'll be a wind fall for Snyder, but there is a lot of risk involved. Seriously, do you trust Snyder to make the right decision? 

Agree.  This is more of a risk than windfall from a pure marketing standpoint.   It's typically risky to rebrand any established product.    Dan's already shaky with some of the base of his fans.  And clearly there are some fans who are adamant about the name staying the same -- some of whom may bolt or consider bolting 

LOL, even though I am in the business of politics, I never like to talk politics on the board because for me coming here is a fun diversion.  I don't like to double down with my work.  So I am 100% sports here. 

But putting on my political marketing hat on just a little.   IMO Dan has to come off like corporate pressure wasn't the impetus at all for this but instead he reevaluated and reconsidered, etc.   That is, he is riding the wave versus coming off like he was fighting it and finally caved in.   Now the reality is likely different than that.  But I think that's the best PR narrative to push if he did it. 

I'd presume they almost have to keep the same colors.  That more than anything I'd presume would placate to a degree the fans who would be upset about the change.   I could see Warriors fitting well.  It could connote Native Americans, soldiers, etc.    I think then they need to come off with some really spanking cool looking gear and run a heavy marketing campaign to push that gear.   If I were Dan I would ask the NFL to help push that gear hard on their website, etc -- I'd make it a condition that all hands have to be on deck to push the new brand.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

I still haven’t got an answer or opinion if anyone knows why we can’t just change the name to “skins” and just change the emblem to the spear from spurrier era maybe?

I'm just going to be blunt. I think the name change sucks.

Sure, it was a dumb name, even by 1933 standards. But it was our team's name. You know, the one that won five championships. It's just a name, but it's largely the name that connects the team across decades. With a new name, it might as well be an expansion franchise.

I'm not sure I'm ready to support an expansion team at this point in my life. If you are, good for you. If you don't like my opinion, well, good for you too.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, redskins4ever28 said:

I still haven’t got an answer or opinion if anyone knows why we can’t just change the name to “skins” and just change the emblem to the spear from spurrier era maybe?

Can you explain to me what 'skins' are in this context?

Hear me out, please.  After seeing the FedEx and Amazon moves over the last couple of days I’ve changed my mind.  As a Redskins fan since Billy Kilmer and Pat Fischer roamed RFK Stadium it saddens me to say that it looks as if it will be in Mr. Snyder’s best interest to change the historic team’s name. 
Rather than keep the keep the logo and colors with perhaps a “Potomac” name, I suggest a different road.  If there is anything do gooders hate more than the Redskins name it is our country’s glorious history.  How about a complete re-branding along the lines of Washington Americans or The Washington Republic.  Have the Stars and Stripes flying from every corner of the stadium!  Red, white and blue everywhere!  As our team rises they will be the source of American pride!  Forget about any lowly team from Texas.  We will be America’s Team!  
Happy Indepencencce Day and God bless America! 🇺🇸

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, redskins4ever28 said:

My gut is it wouldn't work.   If it's offensive to some mentioning skin color in the context of native Americans -- I don't think being more vague about it cures that issue because the implication remains in play.  It would be a team once called Redskins.  Now called Skins -- with a red helmet.   I think it would be too close. 

If they are going to rip the band aide I think they really got to rip it.  Or don't. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

I don’t know if we could get away with it, but I would really be in favor of

The Washington Code Talkers

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, redskins4ever28 said:

I'm pretty sure multiple people have said they hate that idea. You can add me to that list. I hate the idea.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

I think the RedTails is somewhat of a problematic fit but still in the top three or four potential new names that I’ve observed.

What intrigues me about the name is that it would allow us continuity with team colors, our #HTTR hashtag, and our beloved fight song with a few minor corrections fits perfectly:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, visionary said:

Why do people hate the Wizards?  (I think it's a cool name, and more relevant to being able to to amazing things than an inanimate object) 

Personally, I dislike it because of the reason it was changed.  And I don't like the name.

• Thanks 1