Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

Why do people hate the Wizards?  (I think it's a cool name, and more relevant to being able to to amazing things than an inanimate object) 

2 minutes ago, alwaysaskin said:

Not sure about monuments, especially with a DC alternate, might be unintentionally hilarious 

Washington monuments is the least creative thing I have ever seen. 

Just now, Kosher Ham said:

Why couldn't you? I have no issues with addressing where you are coming from, and will happily respond from my perspective.

it’s a silly misguided point and wasn’t worth responding to 

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, visionary said:

Why do people hate the Wizards?  (I think it's a cool name, and more relevant to being able to to amazing things than an inanimate object) 

Sounds dorky a little. Blue their colors are bland. But more than anything the team sucks so makes you laugh at the name too

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
13 minutes ago, Mooka said:

Sea Dogs man. 

Sea Dogs.

Why? Who ****ing voted for Sea Dogs? 

Why didn't people vote for Dragons? I mean, it has almost nothing to do with DC but neither did the other choices. At least they would've had a cool mascot or logo with Dragons. 

Good grief,  I remember that now. We gotta do better this time

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Just now, Riggo#44 said:

Funny thing about Wizards? Jesse Jackson protested it because it alluded to the Grand Wizard of the KKK.

Yeah, I was wondering about that.  

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

Are you offended by the team name or mascot?  Perhaps you are more likely offended by the consistent use of the word n***** ? This is bull**** out rage.

Why couldn't you? I have no issues with addressing where you are coming from, and will happily respond from my perspective.

Feel free to disagree. The outrage over this is ridiculous. If it was really an issue, it would have been changed in the sixties. 

I’ll humor you:

A bunch of black kids reclaim the N word to create a rap group 

A white racist creates a team to “honor” Native Americans’ heritage without any Native American representation in the entire organization. 

A slight difference there. Not sure what it is but a slight one. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Did I really just read "Red Hogs", "Commanders" and "Monuments" as suggestions? For the love of all creatures great and small. 

Whatever happened to "Bravehearts"? I could get behind that or Warriors. I've even learned to sing the fight song with "Warriors", and those extra two syllables aren't the deal-breaker I thought they might be. 

1 minute ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

I don’t hate the Wizards name honestly. If they weren’t perpetually ****ty, no one would care. The 2nd biggest team in American sports is named after a bunch of Lakes from a state they haven’t played in over 60 years lol 

Laker rolls off the tongue better, though. But you do have a valid point.

I thought the OKC Thunder were on for a generation of ridicule, then a few years later they're packing the joint and rocking out to "Thunderstruck"

Still... I don't wanna be a Majestic :unsure:

7 minutes ago, visionary said:

Folks would feel different about the name if the team wasnt such an inanimate object since they changed the name.

We've been missing from conference finals longer then the Redskins have.

Still love them, but winning would have a positive affect on that name, or at least save the franchise from oblivion. At least the Bullets won a ring.

• Thanks 2
Just now, Momma There Goes That Man said:

My expectation is Warriors and Snyder will pick that so he can change as little as possible, keeping all colors and imagery and wiping his hands of it, thinking it was a job well done. 

and it will continue to hang over the team imo 

Apparently it got denied in 2019 for being too confusing with Golden State

5 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

t’s a silly misguided point and wasn’t worth responding to 

Please explain. Both things that you are saying. You are not even recognized by most tribes or nations as NA unless you are at least 25%, from the mother's side. 

Pretty sure that other word and what so-called Americans called other ethnicities previously are leaps and bounds more derogatory and offensive. Redskins is not one of those words. To over. 90% of all American people not exclusive to Native but also includes them. 

• Like 1
Posted (edited)

I am ok with Warriors. 

My take is I've been agnostic on the subject for a long time.  I see both sides of the argument.  I went to a game in Arizona and walked by Native Americans picketing who were more or less calling me and my kids bad people for wearing the gear.  Yet in the stadium I saw a bunch of Native Americans wearing Redskins gear.  I believe the polls that most Native Americans are cool with the name.  I also get the argument that even if its a vocal minority of Native Americans that are upset with the name -- that's enough.

To each their own.  But for me my association with the team isn't name driven.  It's the players, the history, the memories, etc.  My dad was a big Redskins fan.  It carried over, etc.  It doesn't matter to me what you call them. 

The vibe around this team is different now than what I grew up with.  There just seems to be some odd bad karma with this team. 😪   Not saying that the 1990s Indian curse stuck on us.  You got me what it is but there is just some dark cloud hovering around this team.  Yeah I do think Dan hasn't been a hot owner to say the least but heck even a blind squirrel finds an acorn every now and then.  It's stunning that this team hasn't won over 10 games in eons.  Every other team lucks into it eventually even the ones who are poorly run.   No doubt a lot of that is about incompetence but some of that is bad luck, too IMO.

We got a classy HC running the team -- who is one of the few minority head coaches in the NFL.  Kyle Smith seems like a really good dude.   Dan for his faults is a big charity guy who has done some good outside the team.  The name issue I think has added to the pile of the "uncool" aspect to this organization that has just been building for years.  And, this team might be on the verge of turning the tide on that front from being "uncool" to cool.   

Going against the tide hasn't exactly worked for Dan as an owner.  And politically speaking -- the tide isn't favorable to him right now on the name  I get there are arguments on both sides of this.  And I do respect both arguments.   But I think it's hard to argue that the Redskins name isn't a PR loser for the NFL team that is arguably the most desperate among all teams for some PR wins for a change. 

I became a big fan in the 80s when this team was considered classy and cool and I enjoyed that as part of the image.  Granted that happened with the same name we got now.  But times have changed.  This organization's image has changed.   I am ok with keeping it.  But I do think there is some upside to changing it.   

Having said that, if they don't do it.  I get it.  I am not a big name change guy.  But at the same time, it wouldn't bother me one whit.  And part of me likes the idea of rebranding this team considering their history under Dan has been far from the glory years.  Maybe a new GM, new HC, and new name will bring some good karma for a change.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Posted (edited)

Hmmm, so what are people looking for in a name, if we get a new one? 

Not what name should it be, but what characteristics are important for the name to have? 

And what sorts of names are you less happy about?

It would be good to have some sort of consensus, although I'm not sure how much it will matter in the end. 

Still it would be nice to know if there are some names or type of names that could appeal to most of us.

Edited by visionary
Posted (edited)

Well the QB who stinks and has done nothing is chiming in again.

Does anybody realize the pandoras box this opens up. Are we no longer going to be able to watch old videos with the mention of redskins. What about HOF? What is going to happen to the fans that show up wearing redskins gear at the game?

So the name changes, they play in Maryland, Danny sucks, and there is no past, and the best they can bring here are over the hill coachs or people that cant get a job anywhere else. And then to top it all off I find that troll from CNN Acosta is a fan!

Looks like this is just what I needed to get out! Fan base getting smaller peeps which isnt a badge of honor like some of you will pretend it is but a revenue killer that will keep you way under the cap! Enjoy your red azzes or what every they are called.

Edited by Gibbs828791
  • Haha 7
6 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

I’ll humor you:

A bunch of black kids reclaim the N word to create a rap group 

A white racist creates a team to “honor” Native Americans’ heritage without any Native American representation in the entire organization. 

A slight difference there. Not sure what it is but a slight one. 

Humorous for sure. 

It's uninformed. It was/is a negative, regardless of what they claimed. 

Reclaimed...Hahaha. 

• Confused 1
1 hour ago, sempre_victrix said:

So, let me ask those advocating for the change an honest question:

If you truly believe the name is racist, why have you been fans all these years?

Because when I was a young child I didn't see racist things...I was a child.  The older I got gave me time to reflect on the name Redskins.  I thought it sounded racist.

Seeing so much pushback over the years was enough for me, as a fan, to be open to a name change.

What if the team wss called the Washington Wetbacks or the Yellowmen.  

It doesn't feel right to be in this fight to keep the name Redskins.  But if most of the Native American tribes gave this Washington team their blessing to keep the name I'm all for it.

*If mods want me to omit some words in the post let me know.  Was just making a point.*

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Gibbs828791 said:

Well the QB who stinks and has done nothing is chiming in again.

Does anybody realize the pandoras box this opens up. Are we no longer going to be able to watch old videos with the mention of redskins. What about HOF? What is going to happen to the fans that show up wearing redskins gear at the game?

So the name changes, they play in Maryland, Danny sucks, and there is no past, the part of the name they are keeping is from a place I cant stand, and they best they cane bring here are over the hill coaches or people that cant get a job anywhere else. And then top it all off I find that troll from CNN Acosta is a fan!

Looks like this is just what I needed to get out! Fan base getting smaller peeps which isnt a badge of honor like some of you will pretend it is but a revenue killer that will keep you way under the cap! Enjoy your red azzes or what every they are called.

Yes the govt will send Dr Manhattan to your house to vaporize you if you dare watch a clip from 1987. God help you if you have a hat lying around. Be safe. 

• Haha 3
  • Jumbo changed the title to The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)
  • Jumbo locked this topic
  • Jumbo pinned this topic
  • Jumbo unlocked this topic
  • Jumbo featured and unfeatured this topic
  • Jumbo locked and unlocked this topic
  • Jumbo locked and unpinned this topic