Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

15 minutes ago, sempre_victrix said:

Trust me, and you can quote this back later on.  If we change the name to something NA oriented and keep the logo, they will be back tor that in no time.

Good, we should change the logo too while we are at it

Do you really think the majority of the people complaining about the name will become fans once it's changed?  Do you think that they are even football fans?

why does this matter at all. Do you have to be African American and experience systemic racism to still support BLM?  How does that make any sense if someone sees something that is offensive to others and wrong so they want to change it. 

My best friend is 50% NA and is a huge fan of the team and is against changing the name.  If he told me that it was offensive to him, I would probably have a somewhat different opinion.

anecdotal evidence and personal experience mean little and shouldn’t be used to form an opinion when there is substantial evidence and data that you can you review 

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

N.W.A.  still hasn't considered changing the name of the group. 

Oh, it's because folks aren't offended by that? 

No one has ever called me a Redskin. 

Why should any of you tell me what I should be offended by? 

You don't get that right? I'm offended by a lot more important and controversial things than the name of this particular sports franchise. 

Stop trying to control my thoughts and feelings. 

Who told you that you, personally, had to be offended for this to matter to others? Was there a mass email?

• Thanks 1

What becomes a sensible timeline for the change?  People couldn't expect an entire organization to rebrand in 2 months before a season starts right?  Would an official press release from the team that they plan to change the name starting in 2021 be enough to appease the masses?  If we change the name, I want us to go all out.  New colors, new logo, new name, etc etc. 

• Like 1

I think we should get used to having a new team name. All signs point to it. Can't fight for it anymore. I'm keeping my forum name because I don't want to change it. Well, maybe. Depends on the new name.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
1 minute ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Who told you that you, personally, had to be offended for this to matter to others? Was there a mass email?

As a Native American. I might have a little more insight than the folks looking in from the outside. 

• Like 3
1 minute ago, LadySkinsFan said:

I think we should get used to having a new team name. All signs point to it. Can't fight for it anymore. I'm keeping my forum name because I don't want to change it. Well, maybe. Depends on the new name.

No, you must change your name to LadyMajesticsFan once it happens.

• Haha 3
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

I think his point is, if all dwarves are offended by the team name “Giants” does that also make it right to change their name? 
point black it’s because of a skin color which in this country somehow still has ridiculous meaning. The problem is that it’s not even the skin color to which the name Redskins derives from. It’s from the mud put on the warriors faces of that tribe when they would go into battle. Those warriors would have a red tinted skin on the face due to the mud and therefore called “redskins”

but I’m not here to argue what’s right and what’s wrong, I’m just trying to point out what I believe that persons post meant. I do think a name change is silly even though I’m a more liberal minded person. However I think that the world we live in now is just way too extreme and this was bound to happen anyway

edit:

anyone with some real inside information have any leaks on names being tossed around?

Edited by redskins4ever28
6 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

That is not the point in question. The poster I quoted specifically said that if their one single best friend, who is Native American, found the name offensive then he would maybe change his mind. Ask him why one person he cares about is enough to change his mind but countless others aren't, that was my question.

(The answer is that for many people, to see outside their own personal human experience and feel empathy for someone different, an issue has to directly touch their life, within their close sphere. We see this extremely often with bigoted parents coming around on gay marriage because their child comes out, or someone who never thought drunk driving was a big deal in the 90's becoming an activist against it when they lost a child to a drunk driver, same with gun control and gun violence touching people's lives and directly changing their opinion. Many people live within their bubble and can only truly see outside it when something pops it and effects them personally. It is an unfortunate reality of human nature.)

So having close contact with an offended person can then make the word offensive? I get that hearing the views of a close friend or family member can change a viewpoint but anyone can be offended by anything at any moment. The "N" word played in rap music offends me but I'm not picketing to have it removed. 

29 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Sounds like a technicality to me,

Massive difference between the appropreation of NA culture and RAcist name that means bloody scalp of an Indian.

Plus, a discussion about NA culture appropriation will most likely be far more civil in tone. I can't excuse any debate that uses lies as part of its foundation, no matter what the overall goal is. Suzan Harjo promoted the "squaw = vagina" story and a bunch of names got changed across the country. It was debunked later but it was too late, the damage had been done. From there, she promoted the "redskin = bloody scalp" myth, apparently thinking that it worked once it will work again. I abhor the ide that we should say "meh" and ignore it, think it's little more than semantics, or be unphased by it because we agree with the goal. "She lied? who cares. there are other reasons for wanting things to change." That doesn't fly with me.

But maybe if the debate centered more honestly around culture appropriation, there wouldn't be a need for falsehoods.

Just now, Skins199021 said:

Can we just change the name to the Washington Warskins and be done with it... you even get some alliteration in the name

What is a warskin?

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Good, we should change the logo too while we are at it

why does this matter at all. Do you have to be African American and experience systemic racism to still support BLM?  How does that make any sense if someone sees something that is offensive to others and wrong so they want to change it. 

anecdotal evidence and personal experience mean little and shouldn’t be used to form an opinion when there is substantial evidence and data that you can you review 

Why have you supported such a racist (in your mind) organization for so long?

It sounds like you feel very strongly about this, I can't imagine that you are just starting to have these feelings.

As for "evidence", differing polls through the years have claimed 80-90%  of NAs have no issue with the name.

I'm not trying to be a dick, but I am curious about how someone with 10k posts suddenly has so much disdain for the name.

• Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

N.W.A.  still hasn't considered changing the name of the group. 

Oh, it's because folks aren't offended by that? 

No one has ever called me a Redskin. 

Why should any of you tell me what I should be offended by? 

You don't get that right? I'm offended by a lot more important and controversial things than the name of this particular sports franchise. 

Stop trying to control my thoughts and feelings. 

LOL that first point is so absurd that I’m surprised you typed it with a straight face 

But you are certainly entitled to your opinion as a Native American 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, redskins4ever28 said:

I think his point is, if all dwarves are offended by the team name “Giants” does that also make it right to change their name? 

If that is is his point, it’s entirely ridiculous 

15 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

That is not the point in question. The poster I quoted specifically said that if their one single best friend, who is Native American, found the name offensive then he would maybe change his mind. Ask him why one person he cares about is enough to change his mind but countless others aren't, that was my question.

(The answer is that for many people, to see outside their own personal human experience and feel empathy for someone different, an issue has to directly touch their life, within their close sphere. We see this extremely often with bigoted parents coming around on gay marriage because their child comes out, or someone who never thought drunk driving was a big deal in the 90's becoming an activist against it when they lost a child to a drunk driver, same with gun control and gun violence touching people's lives and directly changing their opinion. Many people live within their bubble and can only truly see outside it when something pops it and effects them personally. It is an unfortunate reality of human nature.)

👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man
  • Thanks 3
11 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

As a Native American. I might have a little more insight than the folks looking in from the outside. 

Is anyone disrespecting that opinion or saying you have no right to it, besides just disagreeing? Plenty of other people who are also Native American are on the other side of the issue. It is divisive, obviously. But one person doesn't sway the balance, right? I'm just trying to figure out what you're saying with this, as there are plenty of people who disagree with you just as there are plenty of people who agree with you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Man I hope yall don't vote in the poll :silly:

lol are you all sure you want a poll? Isnt that how you got stuck with Wizards? 

hey, let’s change the name to Capitals so that way a great name isn’t wasted on a 3rd rate sport...

(runs away) 

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man
  • Haha 4
  • Jumbo changed the title to The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)
  • Jumbo locked this topic
  • Jumbo pinned this topic
  • Jumbo unlocked this topic
  • Jumbo featured and unfeatured this topic
  • Jumbo locked and unlocked this topic
  • Jumbo locked and unpinned this topic