Alaskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

1 minute ago, skinfan2k said:

how about Washington extreme skins?? lol

How about the Maryland Redskins?  Dan gets to check the Name Changed box....

I really miss the 90s. Words can’t express how much. 

I forgot about the fight song. At least I detached a bit from sports so it’s not as bumming.  I avoid the net at all costs now but I hope everyone here is well. Was curious at the name change thoughts from you guys. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, sempre_victrix said:

So, you became a Redskins fan in order to have the name changed from within?

I was 10 when I became a fan back in 1990. Mostly because it was a good team here in Washington. 

There was a time when having child brides was ok. There was a time when slavery was ok. There was a time when a lot of things were ok, that eventually were no longer ok.

This is no different and honestly not that hard for people to understand. 

Did I set to make a name change no. But I have been very supportive about the name changing. 

Edited by dyst
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Washington Rockets.  Hear me out...

load-up-the-spaceship-with-the-rocket-fu

Rockets aint too bad.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I don’t think this helps much. there are certain phrases groups use amongst themselves that those not within that group can, for obvious reasons. Now imagine making a team name based on that. 

That's not the case here. Those early tribal leaders used the term "white skins" as well. It became a shared way of identification. This was not a case of a demographic trying to reclaim certain words as their own to remove the harmful power those words possessed over the centuries.

But you do bring up a MUCH MUCH MUCH more valid take on the debate: the appropriation of Native American culture and symbolism and whether or not it's harmful. Unfortunately, we're stuck with the "Redskins is a racist name" ****pile, which means the other teams utilizing NA culture are just sitting on the sidelines. If the Chiefs, Braves and Indians meet the same fate as the Redskins, I'll be shocked.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

Were the Cowboys the first? No.

That's just a cop out to be defiant. 

sounds like someone who is privileged. its okay to be ignorant

6 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

Your real team is actually good again so I knew this was coming lol 

What, how could they be, he traded all of their draft picks! :ols:

1 minute ago, mudpig said:

I really miss the 90s. Words can’t express how much. 

I forgot about the fight song. At least I detached a bit from sports so it’s not as bumming.  I avoid the net at all costs now but I hope everyone here is well. Was curious at the name change thoughts from you guys. 

That aint nuthin but ultra perm!!!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, duffy said:

Is "DC Defenders" for sale? 

banner-dc-defenders.jpg

If Washington has a bad defense, we all would be saying that it is not deserving of the Defenders name so I do not like it

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

But they changed their stance and left us on an island, we have no support from them now.

Oh I know, and they have every right to. I just wish the National Congress of American Indians contribution to the team's identity would be mentioned in all of this, it's part of the dialogue (or should be). The current president of the National Congress of American Indians is saying the emblem is racist, and she doesn't even slightly acknowledge the role her organization played in its creation.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dyst said:

Washington Foreskins. Im sure we can come up with a naughty fight song too. Some cool endzone dances and logos.

I've been hearing this chanted at me in NJ during Giants games for years, so there's already a precedent. Our rivals already know and respect it 👍

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, KWilliamsAWinfield said:

If Washington has a bad defense, we all would be saying that it is not deserving of the Defenders name so I do not like it

How bout the DC Offenders?...That way we're covered no matter how good or bad we are on offense lol...

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

The employees part doesn't bother me. How many NAs have even applied or wanted to work for the Redskins?

And the emblem is more than "nice"...it was literally meant to represent Native Americans. Sinks my heart to hear so many now claiming it's a racist caricature (these people think it was created by white graphic designers hired by a racist owner). No thought or understanding gets put into reaching that conclusion. It's just lumped in with the rest because "redskins".

And you should research what the Skins have contributed to Native American communities and reservations. I loved the story that came out about how Snyder heard about how a small tribe's language was close to being lost forever--it wasn't written down enough and they did not have the means to reproduce what little documentation they had of it. So Dan sent them the means to cover keeping their language alive, and he didn't promote it or even mention it anywhere. We found out years later due to the tribe's press release mentioning Snyder and the Redskins' role in keeping their culture alive.

I got you. I think the logo is beautiful. Very respectful. I just wish it was actually used by a Native American outfit. 

I guess it is a debate on appropriation. I imagine your demographic is the determining factor on how you feel most times  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

I've been hearing this chanted at me in NJ during Giants games for years, so there's already a precedent. Our rivals already know and respect it 👍

Another reason to be elated. Deadskins/Foreskins is no more. 

Gonna have to actually get creative for a change

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, sempre_victrix said:

So, let me ask those advocating for the change an honest question:

If you truly believe the name is racist, why have you been fans all these years?

I wouldn’t say I’m advocating for a name change - in fact I’m not and never have. I don’t consider the use of ‘Redskins’ in the context of its use as the team name of an NFL franchise as racist. 

Context it’s a thing. 

If I go into a bar with a native Indian behind the bar and say ‘Hey Redskin get me a drink’ that’s a racist use of the word and I deserve the kicking probably coming my way. If I say to the same guy ‘Hey could you put the Redskins game on TV’ that’s not racist. 

Relatively simple. And I saw no reason to change the name because of a vocal minority advocating for it.

But times change. And so does the weight of opinion and it’s very clear that it’s no longer just a vocal minority campaigning for a name change it’s pretty widespread. We can debate why that is but not if it is.

So it’s time to change. I’m not as bothered by the idea as I thought I would be. So while I have not advocated for a change I find I’m now not against it. 

• Like 10

2 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

I got you. I think the logo is beautiful. Very respectful. I just wish it was actually used by a Native American outfit. 

I guess it is a debate on appropriation. I imagine your demographic is the determining factor on how you feel most times  

It SHOULD be, yes....that, and saying that the name "Redskin" is antequated and it's generic meaning over the decades is actually a bit insulting. Those would be much stronger stances to take.

Just now, Mr. Sinister said:

Gonna have to actually get creative for a change

Let's not get ahead of ourselves yet, who knows what easy derisive rhymes may exist for our future name. The sky is the limit man

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

The logo is fantastic and iconic.  Would be a shame to lose it.

They gotta let us run the throwback unis from time to time.  Super Bowl anniversaries, at the least.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Let's not get ahead of ourselves yet, who knows what easy derisive rhymes may exist for our future name. The sky is the limit man

Whole Foreskins was always sophmorically lame, Deadskins was always like an ice pick to the balls, because dead was always how I felt inside watching the Redskins play, for most of my life. 

It's gonna be hard to top that one, especially if we start playing good football in this new era

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

Straight up, I respect your opinion a lot.

We will just have to disagree on the appropriation stuff.  My view is that either we are trying to attain a melting pot or we're not.  Once you being to say some things are off limits to someone because of their race or sex or country of origin, you creating a slippery slope back towards some sort of self-segregation.  I could go into almost endless examples, but I'm sure you can you see my point, whether or not we agree.

On the fence about going back to the original "Braves" name. It's cool, but It's been soured by the Atlanta Braves and that awful tomahawk chop..

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Califan007 said:

It SHOULD be, yes....that, and saying that the name "Redskin" is antequated and it's generic meaning over the decades is actually a bit insulting. Those would be much stronger stances to take.

Sounds like a technicality to me, or a perception on what the largest narrative on the name change happens to be. While the overriding narrative of "the name is racist" may be disappointing to some and is certainly what you see most places, it is the truth that MANY Native Americans pushing for the name change who have felt like speaking out do site the cultural appropriation argument as their main issue. Maybe they also feel it is racist, maybe they don't and understand the history perfectly and see it the same as you but still believe it isn't acceptable. 

Either way that cultural appropriation narrative and argument IS already out there, even if it's drowned out by the racist argument. There will never just be one reason for anything happening and the most inflammatory one will probably be the headliner. I don't see why we need to say (to paraphrase) "I get it, but I just wish the argument I respect most was the one we were hearing the most about, then I'd feel better about the reason behind it all" on this topic when it is "in the soup" there as SIP would say in the Stadium. 

3 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Yes I like Deadskins. Can even keep the song. “Hail to the Deadskins”

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

sounds like someone who is privileged. its okay to be ignorant

Who? Your family members?