Alaskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

If we were to go with Warriors, I'd be okay with the 70th anniversary spear helmet look without the feather. 

 

Jesus to revert this team to such a generic unenthusiastic overused name like warriors. Its like the ending of Good fellas where Henry is in witness protection and was talking about instead of getting Spaghetti like back home he said he was served egg noodles and ketchup.... Way to be imaginative and thinking about the DC area and uniqueness...

 

No more Redskins, no more history, no more fight song.. You know what comments I haven't been seeing since this went down. "Congrats Dan, I'm gonna support your change and buy some season tix"... Instead I'm seeing posts on twitter of people enjoying watching "Triggered" Redskins fans wrap their head around the idea of us losing our identity as a fan base, clearly showing they don't really care for the plight of the Native American community. They just like seeing something taken from someone else..

 

I live in San Diego, born and raised in Northern Virginia.. This is a sad day for me. I've seen the charger fan base move on since they left and their pretty content with the NFL not being here, they like having their Sunday's open now. I feel I'm probably gonna follow suit..

Edited by Playaction2Sanders
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

 

1) Our emblem was created by tribal leaders and the president of the National Congress of American Indians. Native Americans helped shape the current team identity we have today.

 

2) Many Native Americans refer to their community as Red Nation. Early NA leaders 400 years ago referred to themselves and their tribes as "red men" and "red skins".

No I got that. But how many employees of the team over 80+ years have bern “red men”? That’s my issue. Sure, they designed the logo. Nice.

 

Franchise is worth billions of that name and logo. What have they gotten? Nothing. This isn’t even an area of the country with a super big population of native Americans relative to the rest of the country  
 

And I get that this is America and business is business but the morality of that is hard for me to accept nowadays. 

Edited by BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

So, let me ask those advocating for the change an honest question:

 

If you truly believe the name is racist, why have you been fans all these years?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Gibbs Hog Heaven We're all impressed enough that you managed to make it through the firing of Callahan, it's understandable if this is too much for you on top of that*

 

 

 

tenor.gif

 

 

 

*You know I love ya so please take this as the lighthearted poke I mean it to be, given our years of interaction and relative familiarity! I understand and respect your position even if I disagree, everyone has their own experience and breaking point as a fan. Personally I hope you'll still around, but I get it. But come on, the Callahan stuff was funny you have to admit.

 

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, KWilliamsAWinfield said:

 
I do not know about the Warriors name, people would be asking which Warriors? Golden State or Washington? They should name it the Hogs in honor of Bugel and be done with it

 

I want a name that is uniquely ours in professional sports. No Warriors, and even nothing like Redhawks (too close to Seahawks).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

1) Our emblem was created by tribal leaders and the president of the National Congress of American Indians. Native Americans helped shape the current team identity we have today.

But they changed their stance and left us on an island, we have no support from them now.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

 

2) Many Native Americans refer to their community as Red Nation. Early NA leaders 400 years ago referred to themselves and their tribes as "red men" and "red skins".


I don’t think this helps much. there are certain phrases groups use amongst themselves that those not within that group can, for obvious reasons. Now imagine making a team name based on that. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

Cowboys fans are in DC Bc the redskins were the last team to integrate black players while the cowboys were the first. 

 

Redskins were in the league quite a bit longer than the Cowboys even existed. That's an old wives tale. 

You folks actually believe that nonsense? 

Come on man. 

@Burgold

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Kosher Ham said:

 

Redskins were in the league quite a bit longer than the Cowboys even existed. That's an old wives tale. 

You folks actually believe that nonsense? 

Come on man. 

I actually have a lot of black family members who tell me this is the exact reason why they hate the skins. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I'm finally ready to move on from the name even though I'd prefer we keep it. It's just not worth the sanctimonious segments on sports t.v. and the other rack of nonsense and baggage that comes with it. I understand that it is a racial pejorative and was used hatefully to massacre Natives in spots of U.S. History. I also understand that words, even racial slurs, can change in nomenclature and be "rebranded" in an entirely new context, which has been the case with the Redskins for many decades. Maybe it's just me, but I don't correlate genocide with football anyway. 

 

Above all, I guess democracy is more important than my attachments to the name but that should be in the NA community and not by slacktivist left wingers and corporations who just pander to Twitter/IG/FB leftists. Snyder is going to have to acquiesce because corporations will always have the final say. Whatever, I'm over it. Just choose a name that's not lame or convoluted. Redtails is ok, I just don't want a jet as a logo. The above mockup was cheesy.

 

They better keep the colors because there's nothing like that white, burgundy and gold popping off the green grass. If they do something stupid and change it to some generic crap and use red, white , and blue, that's not MY HISTORY (lol) and I'm probably never going or invest any real emotions in the team.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, sempre_victrix said:

 

So, let me ask those advocating for the change an honest question:

 

If you truly believe the name is racist, why have you been fans all these years?

Dude, I’m a black man in America lol.

 

Im sure you can’t understand but reconciling things you love with their problematic histories is a daily battle 

  • Like 11
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, sempre_victrix said:

 

So, let me ask those advocating for the change an honest question:

 

If you truly believe the name is racist, why have you been fans all these years?

 

Exactly.. Cause last I checked the discussion you'll probably see at any Redskin tailgate between black, white, Hispanic, Asian fans alike probably sounds more like about the team the opponent, Snyder, the past. I don't think their up there talking about Native Americans and their Redskin-ness..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, sempre_victrix said:

 

So, let me ask those advocating for the change an honest question:

 

If you truly believe the name is racist, why have you been fans all these years?

Because, it is better to help curate positive change than to abandon it while leaving the negative entity to exist.

 

Also, things change. Just because what may have been acceptable a decade ago does not mean it will continue to be acceptable. 

 

Plus, people change, viewpoints change. 
 

Hope this helps, because I’ve seen that question asked often.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

 

I want a name that is uniquely ours in professional sports. No Warriors, and even nothing like Redhawks (too close to Seahawks).


You make a good point about Redhawks being too close to Seahawks, I hope not either

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

@Gibbs Hog Heaven We're all impressed enough that you managed to make it through the firing of Callahan, it's understandable if this is too much for you on top of that*

 

 

 

tenor.gif

 

 

 

*You know I love ya so please take this as the lighthearted poke I mean it to be, given our years of interaction and relative familiarity! I understand and respect your position even if I disagree, everyone has their own experience and breaking point as a fan. Personally I hope you'll still around, but I get it. But come on, the Callahan stuff was funny you have to admit.

 

 

Where'd he end up? 

 

I'll add it under consideration for my new team search. 🤪

 

Either that or I'd be done with football. (That one ISN'T a joke.). 

 

Hail. 

  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

No I got that. But how many employees of the team over 80+ years have bern “red men”? That’s my issue. Sure, they designed the logo. Nice.

 

Franchise is worth billions of that name and logo. What have they gotten? Nothing. This isn’t even an area of the country with a super big population of native Americans relative to the rest of the country  
 

And I get that this is America and business is business but the morality of that is hard for me to accept nowadays. 

 

The employees part doesn't bother me. How many NAs have even applied or wanted to work for the Redskins?

 

And the emblem is more than "nice"...it was literally meant to represent Native Americans. Sinks my heart to hear so many now claiming it's a racist caricature (these people think it was created by white graphic designers hired by a racist owner). No thought or understanding gets put into reaching that conclusion. It's just lumped in with the rest because "redskins".

 

And you should research what the Skins have contributed to Native American communities and reservations. I loved the story that came out about how Snyder heard about how a small tribe's language was close to being lost forever--it wasn't written down enough and they did not have the means to reproduce what little documentation they had of it. So Dan sent them the means to cover keeping their language alive, and he didn't promote it or even mention it anywhere. We found out years later due to the tribe's press release mentioning Snyder and the Redskins' role in keeping their culture alive.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

 

Where'd he end up? 

 

I'll add it under consideration for my new team search. 🤪

 

Either that or I'd be done with football. (That one ISN'T a joke.). 

 

Hail. 

Your real team is actually good again so I knew this was coming lol 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Washington Rockets.  Hear me out...

 

”Rockets red glare”?  Check

 

BIG RED R?  Check

 

Been rocking the B&G since forever?  Double Check!

 

 

748A7269-49CA-49BA-B483-3323C01CA989.jpeg

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, dyst said:

Because, it is better to help curate positive change than to abandon it while leaving the negative entity to exist.

 

So, you became a Redskins fan in order to have the name changed from within?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Washington Foreskins. Im sure we can come up with a naughty fight song too. Some cool endzone dances and logos.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

I actually have a lot of black family members who tell me this is the exact reason why they hate the skins. 

 

Were the Cowboys the first? No.

That's just a cop out to be defiant. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.