Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

Posted (edited)

Good I can’t wait. Change the ****ing thing already. Nice to see even Dan Snyder’s cold miserable heart can’t withstand this movement. 

just change it warriors and be done with it. Remove all NA imagery too, who needs that, I surely don’t. And if we are doing all this anyway, change the colors to red, white and blue to match the Nats and Wizards and the National capitol theme. I don’t give a **** about DC beyond its obvious important to our nation but I don’t live there or rep it or anything. They’re just better colors 

be done with it. 

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
3 minutes ago, SprintBomb said:

I dont see anything wrong with naming it after a military fighter jet bu I'm also not a sensitive baby

I don't either but what's our logo in that scenario?  A fighter jet?  Seems kind of lame.

I thought a Redhawk was a bird of prey but that doesn't seem to be the case.

3 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

How could you even think that I being a Redskins fan is bandwagon?  Cowboys were called America's team way before the nineties. 

I'm sure there was a pretty good influx of skins fans in the 1980s with 3 titles 

It has been interesting living in South Dakota this week, as Trump is visiting Mt. Rushmore today.  There have been several news stories here about how Mt Rushmore is a "monument to white supremacy" and needs to come down.

I would laugh my ass off if Snyder came out in a few days and announced he was changing the name to the D.C Redskins.  "After much reflection, we have decided that we can't continue to associate our team with the name Washington. "

• Haha 3
1 minute ago, skinfan2k said:

that doesn't make any sense.  You are a bandwagon fan then.  I can use the same reasoning for a cowboys fan after they won 3 ships. 

Bull****.  I've been a Redskins fan for 51 years.  You don't know what the **** you're talking about.  Through Super Bowls and single win seasons and I'm always back for more.  I used to squint at a scratchy picture on TV because we barely got the DC station.  I bet I haven't missed more than 5 total games in the last 25 years, and I've spent tons of money going to games through the bad years.  So, with all due respect, you can take your bandwagon fan accusation and stick it up your ass.

I'm from northern Md, I have no allegiance to the city of Washington DC.

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

I’m excited. Super excited. Something new. 3 decades of embarrassment and we get a shot of starting anew. 

Again, I totally understand those older than think I’m nuts 

I'm 30. For as long as I can remember my days as a fan have always been about the team name being changed and bad football. I would be so happy to get both of those put behind me and just root for football with no controversy. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, sportsnut said:

If it’s changed, it’s going to be warriors.  Snyder decided that years ago.

If that was the plan it would only be to keep all the NA imagery already associated with the old name, like a shortcut. And it is not going to go over too well to go from a racist name to one that invokes and reinforces negative stereotypes about NA tribes being the violent savages from an old John Wayne movie or something. That's not a popular alternative in the least. 

• Like 2
Posted (edited)

Absolute crock of ****. 

This might well be the final nail for me after night on 4 decades if we bow to this absurdity as looks likely. 

Seriously. 

Hail. 

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven
  • Like 6
  • Confused 1
15 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

Please don't get rid of the colors, that will make it feel like a completely different team.

Why not stay with a name that supports Native American culture, can we get these tribes involved and let them come up with a suitable name for our team?

I like the story behind the redtails but the name is meh.

I wonder what would happen if a tribe did approach Snyder like Blackie Wetzel did to the Skins' owner 50 years ago and say they wanted the team to represent them in the NFL?

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, sempre_victrix said:

Bull****.  I've been a Redskins fan for 51 years.  You don't know what the **** you're talking about.  Through Super Bowls and single win seasons and I'm always back for more.  I used to squint at a scratchy picture on TV because we barely got the DC station.  I bet I haven't missed more than 5 total games in the last 25 years, and I've spent tons of money going to games through the bad years.  So, with all due respect, you can take your bandwagon fan accusation and stick it up your ass.

I'm from northern Md, I have no allegiance to the city of Washington DC.

did you not read my original post.  You are a fan of this team bc this team was for the entire DMV area.   Sorry you would have rooted for them if their name was anything else. 

• Like 1

If the Redskins/Chiefs/Braves were founded by NAs or represented a heavy NA area then that would be one thing. This is why there isn’t an issue with schools adopting the moniker that predominantly Native American. 

But they’re all founded by non Native people with a fanbase and players that are predominantly non Native. They literally use the culture of marginalized races for logos and motifs. No, I don’t think that inherently means that all or even any involved are Klan members or are violent bigots but racism isn’t limited to burning crosses or other over the top physical acts. Casual racism has negative effects and needs to be addressed. 

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

I don't know, this kind of unsolicited vitriol betrays some sort of insecurity. Maybe you're not a giant sensitive baby but I think it's premature and unfair to you to rule that out completely.

I ruled that out years ago

2 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

If that was the plan it would only be to keep all the NA imagery already associated with the old name, like a shortcut. And it is not going to go over too well to go from a racist name to one that invokes and reinforces negative stereotypes about NA tribes being the violent savages from an old John Wayne movie or something. That's not a popular alternative in the least. 

that’s why I’d go with warriors and remove all NA imagery and change the colors too. Start something new that doesn’t offend anyone, well, besides people that enjoy watching good football 

1 minute ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Absolute crock of ****. 

This might well be the final nail for me after night on 4 decades if we bow to this absurdity as looks likely. 

Seriously. 

Hail. 

What bothers me is less the name change and more the reasons for it. And the reasons are not sensitivity to Native American values and culture.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

I don't either but what's our logo in that scenario?  A fighter jet?  Seems kind of lame.

I thought a Redhawk was a bird of prey but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Use the old Redskins "R" logo

• Like 1

Warriors works for me.  It's a sports team, the name doesn't need to be mysterious or bubbling over with historical meaning.  It just needs to sound cool and come packaged in a cool logo, colors, and uniform.  This is entertainment.  We do this for fun.  There are a lot of cool Washington Warrior logos online right now. 

The Redskins name doesn't really matter to me as much as it does to some of you.  Ultimately, I'm a fan of the DC Area.  These are my people, this place is my home.  I miss the days when everyone watched the game.  You could tell if the Redskins won or lost on Sunday by the mood in the area of Monday.  People were dragging after a loss, even if it was expected. 

That's been eroded for almost two decades now and things aren't the same anymore.  A name widely considered racist, and lets face the reality that this sentiment is only going to grow, isn't going to help rebuild the fanbase.  Snyder needs to do whatever it takes to reclaim the DMV area and a new generation of fans.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
4 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

I'm sure there was a pretty good influx of skins fans in the 1980s with 3 titles 

No there were not. I went to all three parades. Casual fans became more interested and excited, they never truly became real fans. Cowboys fans from DC are because the area is so diverse with people that have lived all over the world. They are moreso bandwagon. 

6 minutes ago, Nerm said:

It has been interesting living in South Dakota this week, as Trump is visiting Mt. Rushmore today.  There have been several news stories here about how Mt Rushmore is a "monument to white supremacy" and needs to come down.

I would laugh my ass off if Snyder came out in a few days and announced he was changing the name to the D.C Redskins.  "After much reflection, we have decided that we can't continue to associate our team with the name Washington. "

I mean...if I'm not mistaken the site of Mt Rushmore was literal sacred land for the NA's it was taken from and it was begged at the time to not destroy it to put up a huge vanity project. Not the thread for it but the argument at least has merits. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

More thoughts on the Bills. 

For the record, The Buffalo Bills is the worst team name in sports history.  It makes no sense...There are no “Bills”!  It’s named after a famous cowboy named “Bill”.  It’s like naming your team the Houston Jimmies.  What the hell is a Jimmie?  What is a Bill?

They should’ve gone all in and switched to the Buffalo Wings 20 years ago.  It’s perfect!  Tabasco Field.  Winged Buffalo on the helmets.  You can have a special part of the stadium called “The Ranch” where everyone has to wear white.

Or...they could’ve gone with Game****s.  Can’t go wrong with Game****s.

In fact, every team should be the Game****s.

So, I guess what I’m saying is Go ****s!  Hail to the Game****s!

• Haha 6
  • Confused 1
1 minute ago, Kosher Ham said:

No there were not. I went to all three parades. Casual fans became more interested and excited, they never truly became real fans. Cowboys fans from DC are because the area is so diverse with people that have lived all over the world. They are moreso bandwagon. 

Cowboys fans are in DC Bc the redskins were the last team to integrate black players while the cowboys were the first. 

• Like 1
  • Jumbo changed the title to The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)
  • Jumbo locked this topic
  • Jumbo pinned this topic
  • Jumbo unlocked this topic
  • Jumbo featured and unfeatured this topic
  • Jumbo locked and unlocked this topic
  • Jumbo locked and unpinned this topic