Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

In all seriousness, if they do change the name, would there be enough time to get a new uniform ready for the season or would they just have to play in some odd combination of throwbacks that don't have the name or logo on it?

2 minutes ago, Idaho fan said:

Im not arguing that there isn't a difference.  Im suggesting that if we are going by what is deemed offensive by any number of Native Americans then no team using a Native American name is going stay off the "name change" agenda.  

As to your second question... I live in Idaho.  There are many Native Americans in this area.  I know many..  My daughter is 1/8th and my daughter-in-law 1/2.  Both Redskin fans.  I don't call them "redskin" - not because I think of it as offensive but because I recognize it is the name of a football team.  How many Native Americans do you know?  How many are you related to?

There is nothing wrong to me with Chiefs, Braves, etc. Those are not defined as slurs in the dictionary. Maybe your claim that if Redskins goes away those are next holds water for you. That doesn't make it gospel to me.

I would also expect you would call your daughters by their actual names.

I have no problem renaming the team. I've always said that if native Americans genuinely find it offensive then so be it. I've never seen compelling evidence that they do but have to take it at face value. I want something that fits with HTTR in terms of syllables as I dont want to lose the fight song, but aside from that I'm not too bothered

1 minute ago, httrMP said:

In all seriousness, if they do change the name, would there be enough time to get a new uniform ready for the season or would they just have to play in some odd combination of throwbacks that don't have the name or logo on it?

At worst, you might have to do something like a name change and new logos on the helmets and keep the uniforms for the season. 

Let’s face it if we wanted to could go off the deep end we can find a offensive thing for many team names. Canucks right down to Rangers.  Sounds ridiculous but you try hard enough you can make many things offensive.  We’ve seen realtors barred few weeks ago from calling bedrooms “master bedroom” because master is in the name.  They say primary now.  You look hard enough you can find something offensive.

• Like 2

My guess is that if they did change the name, they’d just be “Washington,” for this season, possibly use the script R aggressively (if the new name starts with R, otherwise they’d use the plain maroon throwback scheme) and then have 14 months for a full rebranding.

The Cleveland Indians have done something similar- Chief Wahoo technically still exists, but they’ve HEAVILY de-emphasized him in favor of the “C”

1 minute ago, michiskin said:

There is nothing wrong to me with Chiefs, Braves, etc. Those are not defined as slurs in the dictionary. Maybe your claim that if Redskins goes away those are next holds water for you. That doesn't make it gospel to me.

I would also expect you would call your daughters by their actual names.

You seem to not understand my point.  Unless you are Native American, it doesn't matter what you think or what makes it "gospel" to you.  I give up.  

Cheers.

7 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

My guess is it's immediate. Shouldn't take very long to come up with something.

Talk to the right people, get a fan poll going. Get your uniforms. Seems like half the teams in the league changed their gear, and most by early spring. 

I think it has to be. Nike better make some sweet uniforms for us. After all, this is most of their doing. 

4 minutes ago, RichmondRedskin88 said:

Canucks right down to Rangers.  Sounds ridiculous but you try hard enough you can make many things offensive.  

Canuck is the equivalent of Yankee.

Johnny Canuck beat up Hitler. Dudes a hero.

• Like 3

Never thought I'd be glad to see this thread again.

At some point its not a debate on whether to do it anymore, it's keeping track of this could happen before the end of this year now.

Washington Warriors was trademarked for a reason, and kept even though the Arena team fell through.

I hope we can have this discussion in a reasonable manner. 

• Like 3
7 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Never thought I'd be glad to see this thread again.

At some point its not a debate on whether to do it anymore, it's keeping track of this could happen before the end of this year now.

Washington Warriors was trademarked for a reason, and kept even though the Arena team fell through.

I hope we can have this discussion in a reasonable manner. 

Some are throwing tantrums, but most are discussing in a reasonable manner I'd say. 

I bet we see some potential names leaked in the coming weeks as they gauge fan reaction.

• Like 4
Posted (edited)

Dan will not pass on the money. As others have said, the name change may not happen immediately. but the current name and logo is probably gone before the start of the season. My guess is It will probably be Washington Football Club or just Washington in 2020 and the helmets will just be blank burgundy.

Edited by SlinginSammy HOF '63
38 minutes ago, SprintBomb said:

I agree but your opinion, and mine, does not matter. If a group finds the name offensive then it can be changed 

Apply to half these posts.

Why not a thread just for suggestions?

Here's a few

The Washington Redwolves

The Washington WarHogs

The Washington Stealth

• Thanks 1

@Rufus T Firefly 

Is what is it, I don't need to get banned over my opinion here, gravity has won on this particular topic.

Washington Warriors with something like the 70th Anniversary jerseys and arrow on the helmet, and I'm good.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, SlinginSammy HOF '63 said:

....Washington Football Club or just Washington in 2020 and the helmets will just be blank burgundy.

That could work to get as many as possible together on a permanent name.......maybe we can be revolutionary in changing the name every so many years.

I've said this more than once here, but if they change to the Warriors, their Stadium intro has to be that guy from the Warriors clinking bottles on his hand and screaming "Warriors...COME OUT TO PLAY!!"

• Like 7

How about for 2020 only, the Washington Obamas?   

Hail to the Obamas, Hail Victory.

Have that Obama version of HTTR blast over at Lafayette Park; so a certain Orangeman can co nuts.

I’d be cool with a blank helmet. Keeping the colors. Changing the name to something not dumb.

I don’t know what to do about the fight song though. Probably gonna have to forgo scoring any touchdowns for a season. Shouldn’t be too hard given the trend from ownership.

• Like 1
  • Jumbo changed the title to The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)
  • Jumbo locked this topic
  • Jumbo pinned this topic
  • Jumbo unlocked this topic
  • Jumbo featured and unfeatured this topic
  • Jumbo locked and unlocked this topic
  • Jumbo locked and unpinned this topic