Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

There were a few drunk jerks in Minnesota, but nothing compared to what I saw outside of RFK in 1992. People are probably a lot more aware of this by now, and it shouldn't be as much of a shock to the fans. I was downright angry in 92.

There were a few drunk jerks in Minnesota, but nothing compared to what I saw outside of RFK in 1992. People are probably a lot more aware of this by now, and it shouldn't be as much of a shock to the fans. I was downright angry in 92.

i'm more aware than i was in 92 by a factor of one billion. and, being so, i'm still surprised people are holding up "scalping=redskins" signs.

oh, and, im more angry now. 

They lump the name and 'mascot' together. Sorry, I just don't respect that.

It's just obvious to me the movement is solely about not having the 'white man' use anything NA.

If this teams name was Washington Native Americans, this rally is still going on.

I'm kinda over the whole thing

• Like 1

It's just obvious to me the movement is solely about not having the 'white man' use anything NA.

I would assert that it's guaranteed that there are lots of motivations involved in "the movement".

No doubt some of the people are in it because they want to feel important. No doubt some of them are in it because they want to get paid to go away.

And no doubt some of them are perfectly, completely, sincere.  And actually are offended.

I would assert that it's guaranteed that there are lots of motivations involved in "the movement".

No doubt some of the people are in it because they want to feel important. No doubt some of them are in it because they want to get paid to go away.

And no doubt some of them are perfectly, completely, sincere. And actually are offended.

I believe there are a handful of truly offended. But, is it unfair to be unsympathetic to someone offended by the mascot? But, I probably shouldn't have suggested a solely driven process. You're right, there's obviously multiple drivers in this movement.

I don't care who designed it, it's clearly a regal representation of a NA.

I've always said, if NA's want ALL imagery removed, than fine, I'm good with that. I think it's ridiculous. But, it shouldn't stop at the Redskins... Every last NA mascot, nickname should go.

I just find it silly. But, I understand people will say you're not NA and it doesn't matter if majority don't mind.

Edited by Bonez3

http://www.wusa9.com/story/news/local/dc/2014/12/18/fcc-redskins-name/20604399/

FCC says 'Redskins' is not an obscenity, rejects petition

WASHINGTON (WUSA9) -- In a written reply released Thursday, the Federal Communications Comission said they do not find the term "Redskins" to be an obscenity.

The statement came in a reply rejecting a petition that argued a D.C. radio station's license should not be renewed because of their use of the Washington team name.

*Click Link For More* 

• Like 1

Just a blog, but somewhat refreshing about the state of journalism...er lack of journalism. I like the name of the player in the NFL that he brought up that has a racial name. Never thought of that.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/sports/eagles/The-Obligation-to-Use-Redskins.html

The Eagles play the Washington Redskins on Saturday.

That sentence wouldn't appear on the editorial page of The Washington Post, or under the bylines of various sports columnists around the country, or in the student newspaper at Neshaminy High School in Bucks County. Those publications and people have decided that the word "Redskins" is so offensive, as a slur against Native Americans, that they will not use it. (This assertion, of course, is also at the heart of a campaign to change the franchise's name.)

To these writers and media outlets, the NFL team in the nation's capital is always "Washington," never "the Redskins," and they are of course free to take such a principled stand.

It's just that they really shouldn't.

(Read more at Link)

Edited by pjfootballer
  • Like 2
You mean, we actually 'won' something?

Just a blog, but somewhat refreshing about the state of journalism...er lack of journalism. I like the name of the player in the NFL that he brought up that has a racial name. Never thought of that.

Its about time someone wrote about the fact that context actually matters.

Why not type the name?

I mean hell,   is anyone oblivious to what you said?

Isn't that what gives words meaning?

Obscuring spelling doesn't really do anything, does it?

It's lke saying "n word"..     why not just say it? that is what you say when using the phrase "n word".

Friggin' dumb.

Oh,, i mean D*m%.

wouldn't want to get b@nn&d or anything.

~Bang

You go first.

I have no problem with it if used in context of a discussion about the word.

Saying the phrase "the n word" as opposed to saying the word itself..   again, what is the difference? The meaning is the same. it still means the same word with the same intent.

I do not understand why the word is offensive, but people saying it in other ways is not.

Why should anyone be afraid of offending a person by using a word when that word is the topic of the discussion?

IF the topic of the discussion is the word, and someone DID get offended by it's use within the discussion,  isn't it their own stupidity that has caused the problem?

~Bang

Edited by Bang
  • Like 1
  • Jumbo changed the title to The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)
  • Jumbo locked this topic
  • Jumbo unlocked this topic
  • Jumbo pinned this topic
  • Jumbo featured and unfeatured this topic
  • Jumbo locked and unlocked this topic
  • Jumbo locked and unpinned this topic