Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

Why does that matter? Are you saying the original origin of the team name matters ? How the heck did you get that crazy idea?

He's pointing out that the Cleveland Browns are not named after a race.  And the Redskins are. 

(And he is correct.) 

There's some interesting information, in that article.

I would assume it's not as scientific as Annenberg. But it certainly is more recent. (

And not as lopsided as Annenberg. As I think we all expected.

(And I would really like to know if people were asked about their race, before being asked about the Redskins. I have trouble believing that people would lie about their race before being asked about the Redskins, but I would have no trouble at all imagining people lying about their race after being asked about the Redskins. (Although I can see people lying about their race, on both sides of the debate.))

Just a follow up to this zombified piece of "logic".

A litmus test for those who still support the Redskins name

As public pressure rises against the Washington Redskins' mascot, the New York Post's Phil Mushnik rings in with a so-called "litmus test" for whether the "Redskin" name is offensive:

To put it plainly, and practically, I doubt there are many among the pro-Redskins nickname ranks who would approach a Native American and address him or her as “Redskin.”

A litmus test for people who keep acting like this "argument" has any validity whatsoever.

If it is possible to use a word in an offensive manner, then that word is offensive every time it's used.

True or false?

• Like 4

To put it plainly, and practically, I doubt there are many among the pro-Redskins nickname ranks who would approach a Native American and address him or her as “Redskin.”

To put it plainly, this is the dumbest damn argument anyone makes.
When i approach anyone, regardless of whatever color or anything that they are, I say
"Sir", "Ma'am", "Miss" or I use their name.

And it's not because I don't want to offend them by using their skin color. It never even occurs to me to address them by their skin color. I do not have to remind myself not to do it. They are a person with a name, not a bag of bones surrounded by colored skin.

Simple basic common respect as a human being is not a litmus test as to whether or not someone is racially insensitive.

I know people who hate. we all have that one friend. And even they don't go up to people and say "Hey insert-color-here skin".

To believe otherwise is sincerely ignorant, extremely judgmental, and completely without any basis of any reality what-so-ever.

~Bang

Edited by Bang
  • Like 3

I also admit I wanted to see if people's rationalizations would extend so far as to deny or minimize that genocide, which unfortunately some of them did.

Bullcrap.

You: 90% of Native Americans were killed in a genocide. [LIE]

Me: The vast majority (75-90%) of Native American deaths were caused by the spread of infectious disease. [TRUTH]

You: YOU DENY THE GENOCIDE!!!! [bULLCRAP]

I guess if someone says that Hitler killed 3 billion Jews and I correct them, I'm denying the holocaust?

Edited by Sacks 'n' Stuff

"Attorney General Eric Holder is among those who believe the Washington Redskins football team should change its name, he said during an interview Sunday with ABC News."

and if I ever had any doubt that I was on the right side of this argument, I do now.  Thanks for posting.

Looks like that article Boss Hogg posted is already in the process of being yanked.  I tried to open it, and all I got was the poll results picture.  

Still works for me.  I even refreshed, just in case it was just in my cache. 

Still works for me.  I even refreshed, just in case it was just in my cache. 

all I am getting is gray blocks where the text should be, and I can see the picture but it is also gray.  I retract my earlier post...probably something up with my browser.

all I am getting is gray blocks where the text should be, and I can see the picture but it is also gray.  I retract my earlier post...probably something up with my browser.

in chrome, at least, you have to click on the farmers insurance thing (it asked me 'what word do you think of when you see farmers insurance? and some other question, then it takes you to it, but theres really no info behind it. 

i googled "research and polling, inc redskins poll" and got this http://www.nmnewsfeed.com/albuquerque/new-mexicans-say-washington-should-stick-with-redskins/

but its one of the worst written articles i think i've ever read. really hard to understand, unfortunately.

By quoting you it shows the whole link name and thus what the piece is about, the US attorney general nonsense. This story has already been posted on this page and PFT is garbage. They have been way over the top with hating on us, especially with this issue. Everyone should really stop posting their links and giving them undeserved traffic.

Edited by elkabong82

By quoting you it shows the whole link name and thus what the piece is about, the US attorney general nonsense. This story has already been posted on this page and PFT is garbage. They have been way over the top with hating on us, especially with this issue. Everyone should really stop posting their links and giving them undeserved traffic.

Agreed, all Redskins fans should stop going to PFT, and more importantly, the Washington Post.  I think we Skins fans should have a silent boycott.  I don't want any more press about this, so making a stink about it would play into their hands.  I say we just don't subscribe.  If you do currently subscribe, cancel until MW is fired or quits.  Don't visit the website.

• Like 3

Point is for every word that differentiates us, there are some will use it hatefully, and there are some who will use it and be perfectly innocent and not mean a single bit of disrespect. Even the awful big bad N word. Black friends call each other the N word all the time. And so do the people who hate them. Gay guys call each other fags. People who beat gay people up call them fags too.

And that is a choice that individuals should be able to make amongst themselves. It should not be thrust upon by an outside party. Snyder needs to sell 10 percent of the team to a Native American tribe. Then the problem goes away.

in chrome, at least, you have to click on the farmers insurance thing (it asked me 'what word do you think of when you see farmers insurance? and some other question, then it takes you to it, but theres really no info behind it. 

i googled "research and polling, inc redskins poll" and got this http://www.nmnewsfeed.com/albuquerque/new-mexicans-say-washington-should-stick-with-redskins/

but its one of the worst written articles i think i've ever read. really hard to understand, unfortunately.

That thing reads like something that has been run back and forth through four or five different language translations.

I work in the health care field, and wear a redskins lanyard with my name tag on it.  Today I had a NA patient comment on my lanyard.  She said that she "wasn't really a football fan, but that she was glad that I was wearing the redskins lanyard in support of the name".  She said she "supports the team, and the name".  She said that "the name isn't offensive at all".  She did say that "she would be offended if the name was changed".

-For those of you that support a name change.  You say you want to have the name changed so that none are offended.  Today I was personally told by a NA that she would be offended by a name change.  I've heard other stories just like this, where other NA's would be offended by a name change.  So if the name was changed, and these NA's are now offended, why is that okay???

• Like 3

I work in the health care field, and wear a redskins lanyard with my name tag on it.  Today I had a NA patient comment on my lanyard.  She said that she "wasn't really a football fan, but that she was glad that I was wearing the redskins lanyard in support of the name".  She said she "supports the team, and the name".  She said that "the name isn't offensive at all".  She did say that "she would be offended if the name was changed".

-For those of you that support a name change.  You say you want to have the name changed so that none are offended.  Today I was personally told by a NA that she would be offended by a name change.  I've heard other stories just like this, where other NA's would be offended by a name change.  So if the name was changed, and these NA's are now offended, why is that okay???

Because the name change crowd are generally stupid

• Like 5

Agreed, all Redskins fans should stop going to PFT, and more importantly, the Washington Post.  I think we Skins fans should have a silent boycott.  I don't want any more press about this, so making a stink about it would play into their hands.  I say we just don't subscribe.  If you do currently subscribe, cancel until MW is fired or quits.  Don't visit the website.

Ditto for links to that Rupert Rag, The NY Post. Alexander Hamilton would cringe at it today.

• Jumbo changed the title to The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)
  • Jumbo locked this topic
  • Jumbo unlocked this topic
  • Jumbo pinned this topic
  • Jumbo featured and unfeatured this topic
  • Jumbo locked and unlocked this topic
  • Jumbo locked and unpinned this topic