Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

Alaskins

Well this doesn't sound good: http://www.packersnews.com/article/20130909/GPG0101/309080418/Redskins-logo-nickname-face-Lambeau-Field-protest?gcheck=1&nclick_check=1

When the Green Bay Packers host Washington on Sunday at Lambeau Field, protesters will be on hand to remind football fans that “Redskins” is considered by many to be a derogatory term for Native Americans.

“We support effectively removing all race-based stereotypes,” said Barb Munson of Mosinee, a member of the Oneida Tribe of Indians of Wisconsin and of the Wisconsin Indian Education Association’s Mascot and Logo Taskforce.

The Indian education association is hosting a session Friday at the University of Wisconsin-Green Bay on the issue, and several members expect to be on hand for the noon game Sunday to hold signs objecting to Washington’s team name and logo.

Wonder if we'll be seeing more of this on the road this year?

I haven't. During the day on 980's internet feed all I get are that annoying Kars for Kids ad, some nagging wench telling me i can't screw like a 20 year old anymore, (But this tablet will let me be everything all women want) I can get out of all this debt without spending a penny, i can get rich without spending a penny, and i can lose all this awful weight by just taking a pill and watching TV.

~Bang

Wonder if we'll be seeing more of this on the road this year?

Assume so.

It's a way for them to get somebody else's attention.

Same tribe running the ads. Attention whores.

If it's actually a tribe, then I'd certainly say they've got a legitimate complaint. And without your condemnation.

(It seems like there's some question, at least, as to whether it's actually a tribe, or some astroturf group claiming to be a tribe.)

Yeah, my beef isn't really with American Indians that find the nickname offensive. I've always said that if it ever turns out the majority of American Indians don't like the name, I'm all for changing it. It's just that it seems that an overwhelming majority don't have a problem with the name and it's people who have no connections with the American Indian community that are acting outraged for them. 

This still seems like a battle we're not going to win. The more successful the team is, the more hell is going to be raised on it. Let's just find good, middle ground and go back to the team's original name, "Braves," and call it a day. 

Does anyone know if Snyder actually trademarked the Washington Warriors name? I remember there was some conjecture a few years back..but people were assuming it was for an Arena team he was trying to get.

If the name had to be changed, they could keep the logo and go to something like that (or the Braves as mentioned above).

Not saying that I want that to happen....

How do you figure? Are people gonna stop going to games? Are they gonna stop watching the team on TV? Will they stop buying the merch? I think you're being really naive. There's no legal way to force Snyder to change and there is really no feasible way that the Redskins name stops the team from staying one of top 3 most profitable franchises. 

I agree.  I don't see why some think a name change is inevitable because the majority of people don't have a problem with it.  Most people don't care about whiny sports writers who probably never even met a Native American.  There is nothing legally anyone can do to force the change.  The only way I see a change is if the vast majority of people are against the name, including the fans, which leads to an empty stadium and a nose dive in merchandise sales.  If the Redskins plummet in value due to public outrage, then maybe a change would happen.  Maybe down the road if Snyder sells the team to someone who doesn't care about our history, then it might change.  That said, there is no way it's going to change.

JP is an idiot. he's never met a bleeding heart cause he didnt love.

and that idiot who called into the junkies saying he's a redskins fan but wants the name changed cuz 'its a slur, and chiefs and braves arent' - please go root for another team. 

amazing how 'its a slur' has been put out there unchallenged, and in some intellectually lazy peoples minds, its become fact. nevermind the lunacy of someone naming a team a derogatory racial slur. 

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/09/12/redskins-to-face-protests-at-lambeau-field-on-sunday/

I know people think this will go away.  It won't.  If this team is playing in  championship game or superbowl; the chorus will grow louder.  I can see the city of D.C. tell Dan take stop using Washington.   The chorus will grow until there comes that point when it becomes financially beneficial for Snyder to change it.  

Lets say they protest every game this year and we keep the name. Then next year they do it again, the redskins win the super bowl and we keep the name. At some point the protest movement will realize their 10% does not trump the other 90%.

I know people think this will go away. It won't. If this team is playing in championship game or superbowl; the chorus will grow louder. I can see the city of D.C. tell Dan take stop using Washington. The chorus will grow until there comes that point when it becomes financially beneficial for Snyder to change it.

What I like are the people claiming "Let's give the liars what they want, because they aren't going to go away", who keep bringing more of the frauds into the thread. 

"I'm tired of these people always making these untrue claims.  That's why, every time one of them does it, I run right to ES with a link to it, and declare that I think we should do what they want". 

Five people, all making the same untrue claims, every couple of days, for a month, is not a "growing controversy"   It's just five people who don;t care if everybody sees them making untrue claims. 

I put a lot of blame on the Media.  Used to be, the Media would report on what was TRUE. 

If some politician made some claim that was obviously untrue, the Media would report what Senator Lardbutt said, AND the fact that it wasn't true. 

Now, they're absolutely terrified of actually pointing out that people are saying things that aren't true. 

Instead, Senator Lardbutt makes a claim, and the Media reports that he said it, and stops there. 

That way they can't be accused of that awful Liberal Bias.  Lardbutt said it, and they reported that he said it.  They didn't say that what he said was true. 

How long would this **** continue, if, every time somebody stood up and announced that the name is offensive, the Media quoted him as making that claim, and then pointed out that the claim isn't true?  (And that, frankly, the fact that the name isn't offensive was proven, four years before Obama published his Birth Certificate?) 

Goodell saying "even if one person is offended we are obligated to listen to them" (exact quote I don't know but close enough) Is a joke.

Well, now, I think technically he's correct.

I'm required to listen to Birthers. Killin' em's illegal.

I'm not required to do what they want. I'm not even required to pay attention to them. But if one of them is standing on the sidewalk, shouting, then I don't have a choice about listening to them.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/09/12/redskins-to-face-protests-at-lambeau-field-on-sunday/

I know people think this will go away.  It won't.  If this team is playing in  championship game or superbowl; the chorus will grow louder.  I can see the city of D.C. tell Dan take stop using Washington.   The chorus will grow until there comes that point when it becomes financially beneficial for Snyder to change it.  

It goes away when you ignore it and stop taking them seriously.

The Redskins are one of the most popular and profitable franchises, not just in the NFL, but in ALL of sports.

That is why Goodell gives the issue lip service, but doesn't really want to do anything that could kill the cash cow.

As long as the overwhelming majority of fans buy tickets, merchandise, root for the team and fully support a name that has been around for EIGHT DECADES, Snyder will have no compulsion to change it.

This is not the first time people have protested the name at a game. I remember seeing a story about that years ago. Maybe the last time we played the Chiefs? I'm pretty sure it came up during the Superbowl in '91. According to Wikipedia 2000 Native Americans protested the name at the Superbowl that year. The first lawsuit against the name came in '92. That all went away. Why? I'm sure it had nothing to do with us being irrelavent for 20 years. Though it is interesting that this seems to have blown up over the last year now that we look to be good and have a superstar QB.

The difference now is the 24 hour news cycle and prominent members of the "media" who want to keep this in the news cycle. Does anybody think that a few dozen people protesting at game would get run on PFT if it was PETA? PETA just launched a campaign against the NFL alleging that they are funding animal testing to study head trauma. Lets see how many stories PFT runs on that issue. Florio has an agenda he is pushing.

The only way to force Snyder and the NFL's hand would be massive sponsor boycotts that casued sponsors to back out. Anybody see that happening? Do enough people really care about this issue to boycott Papa John's or Coors? Would those boycotts be large enough for these national and global brands to abandon the most dominant sport in the country? We are talking about a minority of a minority that are offended. Certain members of the "media" are using their position to magnify the issue. How many are willing to put their money where their mouth is? Even UnWise Mike, one of the biggest name change drum bangers, has no problem taking money to appear on "Redskins Showtime".

Well now I'm confused. It seems like not a single new person has joined the cause against the name in this thread. I haven't noticed a growing chorus against it on local sports talk radio. And I definitely haven't met a single person in the entire DC area that's against it (and trust me, I get around. And I talk sports with EVERYONE.) But right now on PTI, Wilbon just told me that more and more people in the DC area are coming out against the name Redskins. No way that Wilbon doesn't know what's going on in DC right? Right?

(And now Jaws is telling me that Monday's game is going to go down in HISTORY as a game that changed the NFL. A game that changed the entire nature of the sport. Why do I watch ESPN? Why? Oh yeah, because Foxsports1 and NBCSports Network and CBS Sports Network suck even worse.

P.S. The same Jaws who went something like 1-6 in his opening week picks. The same Jaws who has Baltimore being better than they were last year when they won the SB and still swears that's true. "it's just going to take some time." ****ing die and get off my TV you hack. Goddamn I used to actually respect him too. Guess I'm bitter he had me fooled.)

Archived