Alaskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

Out of curiosity, which do you feel is more likely to happen:

- NA activists acknowledging that the "redskin=scalps of Indians" is probably not accurate.

Or

- The "redskin=scalps of Indians" gets inserted into the history books of public schools as fact.

"Hail to our brethern....."

"Hail Victory" (remember those)

"Braves on the warpath" STAYS !!

"Hail to our brethern....."

"Hail Victory" (remember those)

"Braves on the warpath" STAYS !!

The entire song stays...and there's nothing anyone will be able to do about it.

• Like 4

Cal,

You know wishing for something hard enough won't make it happen.

Edited by planter

Cal,

You know wishing for something hard enough won't make it happen.

planter,

You know it's impossible to force 80,000+ fans to not sing Hail To The Redskins, right?

• Like 3

"I know all that."

Then you should have understood the analogy.

"any bets?"

Wish I could. But I don't know or trust you.

Well,   if you really want to get sticky, it's not an 'analogy' you offered.

I perfectly well understood what you suggested.

i reject it entirely for exactly the reason mentioned.

There has never been a Washington Braves, and I don't want o be named after a baseball team.

You'd really bet that this group will NOT go after the logo once they get the name?

I gotta say..If I'm you, I would not be at all confident that this group who have forced this action for 30+ years will accept bygone as bygones and say "well, that's enough".

Aside from the general "Completely against human nature" factor of it, they've already stated they don't want ANY reference to ANY Native themes ANYWHERE.

So you'd lose your money, and since I'm a nice guy, I would not take up any bet if you had wanted to anyway.

see?

Now you can trust me. :D

~Bang

Edited by Bang

It's about compromise and ignoring the extremists on BOTH sides...

No, compromise means a change is justified. A change isn't justified when the majority don't support it and the evidence isn't sufficient.

What makes you think the NA leaders of this movement will be ignored if a name change happens when they are the ones getting the focus right now? The NA theme goes if we are forced to change.

LOL for those looking here, the NFL network is showing Super Bowl  XXII ! right now started at noon

Denver- Washington REDSKINS

planter,

You know it's impossible to force 80,000+ fans to not sing Hail To The Redskins, right?

All 80,000?

Then it would be necessary to call in those UN black helicopters.

Edited by planter

All 80,000?

Then it would be necessary to call in those UN black helicopters.

I'm gonna take that as "No, I didn't think about that..."

Well, the NFL Network is showing our winning Super Bowl over Denver right now and it looks like they plan to show more of us later this week. This could just be a coincidence, but seeing as how they always show our losing SB games or none of our games, I think this is the NFL's way of showing us support.

Well, the NFL Network is showing our winning Super Bowl over Denver right now and it looks like they plan to show more of us later this week. This could just be a coincidence, but seeing as how they always show our losing SB games or none of our games, I think this is the NFL's way of showing us support.

they worked through the 70's and the Steelers the past couple of weeks due to Knox's passing.

They do this every offseason.  The June/July grind until training camp is a great way to get some of the old games when they come on. 

I doubt it's anything more than that.

I'm gonna take that as "No, I didn't think about that..."

More like the point may or may not be true but is irrevelant...

At this point, it's more about what the NAs think NOT what our entire fanbase thinks.

Edited by planter

At this point, it's more about what the NAs think NOT what our entire fanbase thinks.

and most NAs don't think the name is offensive

and most NAs don't think the name is offensive

Snyder and the NFL will be spending serious money on polling to determine if only "insignificant" numbers of NAs are offended.

If it turns out to be the case, then it's HTTR, baby !

No, the point is since it's impossible to force--legally or otherwise--the entire country to not sing Hail To The Redskins, worrying about coming up with alternative lyrics is an unnecessary waste of time.

And what do you think TV stations will do when a stadium full of Skins fans start singing "Hail To The Redskins"? Bleep out the word "Redskins"?...Cut away to commercial break? Don't you think that singing HTTR would be the Skins fans' way of both showing solidarity with the team's name and protesting the name change movement? It would be an incredibly easy thing to do and organize.

But feel free to self-righteously sing "Hail To Our Bretheren" instead, snug tight in the knowledge that no Native Americans have been harmed in the process.

Just thought of a name that i like, if it were to come to that.

Wed have to change our colors to red, white, n blue like the other DC sports teams. But wed become the Washington Stars and Stripes. The DC Stars and Stripes sounds very cool to me.

Right. Because as is afore mentioned, one person will start singing & the whole crowd will chime in. Can't stop that. No matter what happens, no matter if the name is changed or not, 81 years of tradition & 50 years of singing the best fight song in sports. That will never end.

• Like 1

Just thought of a name that i like, if it were to come to that.

Wed have to change our colors to red, white, n blue like the other DC sports teams. But wed become the Washington Stars and Stripes. The DC Stars and Stripes sounds very cool to me.

Ahhhh, no lol....

Besides, aren't the Patriots' uniforms red, white and blue?

I'd be ok with the name the Washington MF'ers *thumbsup*...

this could be on the side of the helmet:

billyperkins20x26100lbcoverstock4co.jpg

Edited by Califan007

No, the point is since it's impossible to force--legally or otherwise--the entire country to not sing Hail To The Redskins, worrying about coming up with alternative lyrics is an unnecessary waste of time.

And what do you think TV stations will do when a stadium full of Skins fans start singing "Hail To The Redskins"? Bleep out the word "Redskins"?...Cut away to commercial break? Don't you think that singing HTTR would be the Skins fans' way of both showing solidarity with the team's name and protesting the name change movement? It would be an incredibly easy thing to do and organize.

But feel free to self-righteously sing "Hail To Our Bretheren" instead, snug tight in the knowledge that no Native Americans have been harmed in the process.

You're the Seattle Seahawks owner, fat & happy as SuperBowl Champ. The Starbucks CEO calls and says they'll be pulling all NFL ads as a gesture of support.

If this happens the NFL and $nyder and his new Washington Warriors, will leave the diehards "twisting in the wind".

Edited by planter

You're the Seattle Seahawks owner, fat & happy as SuperBowl Champ. The Starbucks CEO calls and says they'll be pulling all NFL ads.

If this happens the NFL and $nyder and his new Washington Warriors, will leave the diehards "twisting in the wind".

I don't understand what you're saying. How is that going to stop me from singing?

I don't understand what you're saying. How is that going to stop me from singing?

Sing away... if we're renamed the Monuments folks will stare.

And there's the sensitive microphones on the black helicopters....

Edited by planter

Well, if they stop putting the words up on the board it will get hell of a lot more mumbly during the second verse.

I've seen far too many people trail off by the word pass.

Edited by EvilMonkeyBoy
  • Like 1

Ahhhh, no lol....

Besides, aren't the Patriots' uniforms red, white and blue?

I'd be ok with the name the Washington MF'ers *thumbsup*...

this could be on the side of the helmet:

MF'er as in, "I dont care what you think MF'er, thats a cool name idea!?"

;)