Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

I will be very deeply saddened if the name changes. It's a name that is full of honor, and pride.

Yet, there are other egregious names still out there. And no, I'm not looking to cause any other fanbase the same "adventure" that we've endured/will continue to endure, so I won't throw them under the bus. But I believe the logo, the representation and the name to all be a very positive interpretation.

I doubt the name changes any time soon. But it could, and it makes me very sad as a fan of this franchise.

• Like 1

I guess they need to change the Kansas City Chiefs, Chicago Blackhawks, and Cleveland Indians teams too.  Oh and btw I live in NY now and I'm tall so the NY Giants offends me...*snap snap* please have their name changed thanks.

Can we have a count on the number of times this joke has been made on this thread?

And do the people who make it think they are being original?

• Like 1

Can we have a count on the number of times this joke has been made on this thread?

With that being said, I think I'm going to push for the LA Clippers to have their name changed to the Los Angeles Crackers.  Not because I'm racist, but because I F'ing love wheat thins. 

This guy on The Drive yesterday called in making that tired joke too, but he went that extra mile to add "Muslims will be offended by Patriots."  I cringed.  Czabe and Cooley completely ignored it, or maybe they didn't catch it, but that joke really has jumped the shark already.  Or whatever the new phrase is, cuz "jumped the shark" has probably jumped the shark now.  lol

With that being said, I think I'm going to push for the LA Clippers to have their name changed to the Los Angeles Crackers.  Not because I'm racist, but because I F'ing love wheat thins. 

If your logo was a walking saltine, you wouldn't have a problem.  

Take it for what you will, when I use the term pussification of America, it is more about the big picture description at where we are in society today. It's not just the debate on if the team name is offensive/racist or not.  It goes way deeper than that.

Everyone is offended by something, there is almost nothing left that someone isn't complaining about or trying to start an uproar about.  Everyone sues everyone for the most ridiculous stuff.  Everyone has this feeling of entitlement nowdays, regardless if they are in the wrong or not.  People are lazier than ever before.  

People don't want to raise their children right and snap when someone else mentions any wrong doing or misbehavior.  Everyone gets a trophy, first place or last place, God forbid we teach sportsmanship and friendly competition.  Everyone is overly sensitive about everything.  

Mmmmm....that is a good old man rant. You really need to work in something about how you didn't fight at Guadalcanal so some guy could wear an earring to take it to the next level though.

I don't think it's a joke. In the newsroom, we have someone hired who's Afghan and only been in the US for a few years. He asked us to explain the controversy. He generally took the opinion that he can't determine what offends someone else. When I later introduced the idea that all of this energy was being expended towards Washington and not the Cleveland Indians he asked me to explain. I didn't. I just said go to google images and type in Redskins. He saw the logo and nodded. I next said type Cleveland Indians. As soon as he saw the pic he burst out-- "That's racist!!!" So loudly that several heads turned and we had to explain.

I will be very deeply saddened if the name changes. It's a name that is full of honor, and pride.

Yet, there are other egregious names still out there. And no, I'm not looking to cause any other fanbase the same "adventure" that we've endured/will continue to endure, so I won't throw them under the bus. But I believe the logo, the representation and the name to all be a very positive interpretation.

I doubt the name changes any time soon. But it could, and it makes me very sad as a fan of this franchise.

I am really unconcerened. Their evidence is all anecdotal--the basis of the judgement has gaping holes.

I'm just happy that after all these years of staying quiet and having the word "Redskins" eat at their souls, those who are against the name now have the courage to voice their opinions.  Amazing. 

Edited by RonArtest15
  • Like 2

My 2 cents, without going through the entire thread so please no berating if I hit on some of same points from a post on page 53. 

The name is going to change...too much pressure and too much of a distraction or ****show for a team that has enough issues.  The name will not change tomorrow but there are likely steps being taken or plans being presented.  My guess is that Dan should use what little leverage he may have to negotiate a deal lucrative to the team.  See the WaPo article about new stadium and see if he can get Goodell to rig the vote for a couple of Super Bowls in a 12 year span or something like that.

From a businessman standpoint, it really could be a huge windfall.  Can you imagine if they not only changed the name but rebranded?  Suddenly, Donovan McNabb and Albert Haynesworth jerseys become collectibles.  A chance to liquidate merchandise and then sell whole new batch of gear?  I hope and don't think it should be a total rebrand but it has to be put out there as I am sure some people smarter than me are thinking about it.

I know everybody thinks it will be the Warriors but why not try go back to tradition and go with the Braves.  Keep the logo and the colors.  Granted, it probably won't be a financial windfall deal for the franchise or owner but it works.  If Braves and the logo is still too offensive to people, guess what Cleveland and Atlanta, your MLB teams are next.

I've been seeing a number of articles on sites like buzzfeed that are deliving into the origins of the terms - lots of pictures of old documents from the 1800s giving bounties for scalps, or 'redskins' as they call them -- it's crazy the amount of attention that this issue is getting. Whether 100% accurate or not, this will be the increasing perception of the word 'Redskins'. I hope they keep 'skins' when it's changed... HogSkins, Pigskins, etcetc

I think it's an honest debate but where was the white outrage in years past?

Hell, we keep hearing racial slur but no one has actually looked enough at the history of the world and we still have people (whites mainly) saying the name is offensive because they decided to define it that way.  Well, if I launch a war against any word, eventually people will assume it's offensive.  Calling someone "Lame" has not yet been made a shunnable offense, but mark my words--it's coming.

Lame! ;-)

This is what infuriates me about this and similar issues - the all or nothing you're either with us or a racist/homophobe/mysoginist/misanthrope stance. I'm pretty liberal myself, but when I run into these people I seriously question why. They are infuriating officious pricks who know what's right for everyone. Ugh!!! Sadly some of the elected officials in my local government are these types, and it makes me crazy.

• Like 2

From a businessman standpoint, it really could be a huge windfall. Can you imagine if they not only changed the name but rebranded?  

Personally, if that happens I will never buy one piece of new gear. I'm guessing I am not the only fan who feels that way.

I think it's an honest debate but where was the white outrage in years past?

It was there but you didn't have social media and a 24 hour news cycle to hammer the point.

• Like 2

Personally, if that happens I will never buy one piece of new gear. I'm guessing I am not the only fan who feels that way.

It was there but you didn't have social media and a 24 hour news cycle to hammer the point.

This debate was non-existent 2-3 years ago.  Social media was definitely around.  There are those who are legitmately offended, and there are those with fake outrage who are ambulance chasers. 

This debate was non-existent 2-3 years ago.  Social media was definitely around.  There are those who are legitmately offended, and there are those with fake outrage who are ambulance chasers. 

Now who could that be?

117719.jpg

• Like 3

finallogo_zpsf3be169d.jpg

Interesting isn't it?  I just made this.  Notice that the other teams main color.  Can these people be any more hypocritical?

I personally don't see any of those as racists.   The Cleveland Indian logo is simply cartoony.  I don't see anything offensive about it.

• Like 2

I personally don't see any of those as racists.   The Cleveland Indian logo is simply cartoony.  I don't see anything offensive about it.

Exactly, including the Redskins logo.  That was my point in making it.   The fact that they consider the Redskins to be racist, but not the other ones it's hysterical.

Edited by joejccva71

Most people aren't overly sensitive little whiny baby Harry Reid robots that have to look at the racism/negativity in every single phrases, logos, mascots, events in order to fuel the ridiculous agenda they have in Washington for the pussification of America.  Most of us look at the logo of say the Blackhawks and say "Wow that is a pretty cool logo".  Never does a racist thought cross my mind when viewing any of the logos in this picture.

• Like 1
  • Jumbo changed the title to The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)
  • Jumbo locked this topic
  • Jumbo unlocked this topic
  • Jumbo pinned this topic
  • Jumbo featured and unfeatured this topic
  • Jumbo locked and unlocked this topic
  • Jumbo locked and unpinned this topic