Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

Alaskins

The only way I wouldn't pull for the team is if they relocated to another city/area and ceased to be the Washington Redskins (or other team name), which will NEVER happen, at least not in my lifetime.

Let me ask you this, if the name and logo were to change, would a move to LA be out of the question?  

I've been here since 2003 and I have never, ever noticed that.

It was a policy instituted probably after you joined by some years.  I couldn't be where I am without those posts having counted at some point in the past.  What was happening is that people who were perhaps barely football fans had come to the board and spent ALL of their time in posts and even lurking in the Tailgate. 

As long as people continue to think like this, I have no problem with the name being completely erased.

Take it for what you will, when I use the term pussification of America, it is more about the big picture description at where we are in society today. It's not just the debate on if the team name is offensive/racist or not.  It goes way deeper than that.

Everyone is offended by something, there is almost nothing left that someone isn't complaining about or trying to start an uproar about.  Everyone sues everyone for the most ridiculous stuff.  Everyone has this feeling of entitlement nowdays, regardless if they are in the wrong or not.  People are lazier than ever before.  

People don't want to raise their children right and snap when someone else mentions any wrong doing or misbehavior.  Everyone gets a trophy, first place or last place, God forbid we teach sportsmanship and friendly competition.  Everyone is overly sensitive about everything.  

Like I said, if they change the name or not, I'm still going to be a fan of the team.  It's not the end of the world.  But I think we have enough problems to worry about than football and sports team names or game rituals.  

Edit - Sinister, when I look at things, compared to 20 years ago, it just seems like someone is always looking to get in the spotlight or stir up controversy or claim to be offended about X topic.  It may have always existed to a certain degree, but it just seems to get worse and worse every year.  It could feel worse now since I grew up before the internet/social media era, I'm almost 40, so it was college before I had access to the internet.  

Let me ask you this, if the name and logo were to change, would a move to LA be out of the question?  

Yes.  They aren't going to relocate one of the top revenue making teams to LA.  

1) I was speaking mainly in terms of "chops" and "chants"

2) That's their opinion and it's childish just to dismiss it

I do dismiss it LOL

I really like the cities whos sports teams are all the same color. If we were forced to change the name, I wouldnt mind a uniform overhaul that falls in line with the red white and blue of the other DC sports teams.

Wizards is one dumb ass team name though LOL

I really like the cities whos sports teams are all the same color. If we were forced to change the name, I wouldnt mind a uniform overhaul that falls in line with the red white and blue of the other DC sports teams.

You want us to adopt the Giants colors? If we lose the name and the colors it might as well be an expansion team.

Wizards is one dumb ass team name though LOL

Yea..Wiz fans are constantly saying that.

You want us to adopt the Giants colors?

If I had to guess Id say their color scheme is blue/white/silver. Not a whole lotta red. Where as red would be our primary/dominant color.

I think thered be enough of a difference, of course this is all hypothetical. No need to go into it any further.

What about "Pigskins".

- Can keep the colors

- Can keep the fightsong

- We can still call them the "Skins" (which most of the fanbase does anyway)

- Honors history of "hogs" with this franchise.

- We could officially have a "hog-pen" or "pig-pen" area in the stands... like Cleveland's "dogpound".

I'm also okay with a nickname having to do with the history of DC (like Nationals or Capitals). But it would take a long time before I could get used to saying anything but GO SKINS!

Holy Hogs.

Even if name change wasn't a controversy right now and this was just a suggestion, I must admit... Funny/Cool

I'm a staunch NEVER guy. But, just but... I haven't even heard a suggestion that remitely has my interest. This is hysterical. I would go total farce. War pig on helmet, absolutely no NA anything. Withdraw all funds. What a great reference to this teams greatest time.

But if they do change. I've alerted my family of ban of NFL of epic proportions. My will power is sick. I'll be all in bye-bye NFL for years. And when I return, I'm not sure what the result.

This team played significant role in my life, more than 'just football'. It united family at times.

I get 'its just a name'. And, if that can sway you away than good riddance.

However, I got all I may ever need from this team. I love them... Period. If they feel name change not a big deal, I'm ready to bury them like all things on this earth.

I will show my kids highlights of my old team.

But you are being selfish.   The term groups people by skin color.  Unacceptable today.  No other way to put it.

So, why is it "unacceptable today" but it wasn't 10, 20, 30, 50 years ago?  I think we have become a nation of perpetually offended politically correct losers whom have no ability to tolerate the fact that every human being has a difference of opinion on just about any matter. And it is those INtolerant whom have decided that no one has a right to say or think anything different from them.  I grew up with people who were able to laugh at themselves and each other. I remember growing up seeing Don Rickles offend EVERYONE on TV, but people of all races and religion laughed their asses off.  Now, we are a nation of uptight losers who demand everyone agree with them. Or else!

El Swami makes this prediction:

Snyder will make a name change as the distractions intensify AND he begins to get grief from sponsors, fellow owners and the Commish.

If Snyder persists the NFL owners will take action - LONG before this plays out in the courts.

You know, I'm half-Norwegian (and half-Nigerian).  I am offended by the use of Norse imagery by the Minnesota Football Team. Not all Norse descendents wear horns on their heads, and we don't have beards like 'Ragnar', that offensive mascot that calls to mind the minstrel shows of the Jim Crow era.  I've not once pillaged a village, or sailed a longboat across the North Sea to sack a monastery.  I think I will work to get that racist, insensitive name changed. 

Who's with me???

As a Smurf who is a direct descendent of Papa Smurf, I find your user name offensive. 

Is This Really a Job for the Trademark Office? Re: Redskins Football

Whatever your views may be on the underlying issue of whether the use of “Redskins” as a team name and mascot is inappropriate and should be outlawed – and I will keep my own views to myself – there are at least two aspects of the case that are worth noting.

One is the fact that the case is pending, not in a federal court, but in the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board, the administrative tribunal of the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. The TTAB hears appeals from trademark owners whose applications to register their marks have been denied. It also adjudicates pre-registration “opposition” proceedings against applications that the Trademark Office has approved, as well as “cancellation” proceedings against registrations that have already been issued.

This leads to the second noteworthy aspect of the case, which is that the federal Trademark Act is the only intellectual property statute that includes what amounts to a censorship clause. It provides for denial of registration to material that:

…consists of or comprises immoral, deceptive, or scandalous matter; or matter which may disparage or falsely suggest a connection with persons, living or dead, institutions, beliefs, or national symbols, or bring them into contempt, or disrepute…

Of course, books and movies that contain rank obscenity and vile hate speech are routinely granted registration by the Copyright Office, and no one seems to think a thing about it. And the Patent Office routinely grants patents for devices whose uses may strike at least some people as objectionable.

Every year I ask my law school students whether they think a J.D. degree and a single course in trademark law qualifies them to render an official judgment on what is, and is not, “immoral” or “scandalous.” They find the very idea preposterous. But those are the only credentials that the examining attorneys in the Trademark Office have, and they perform this function as part of their regular job description.

I've "liked" several posts in here, disagree with others.

I fall in the, not personally offended by the name but understand why some may be; the terminology is a bit antiquated. At it's advent I don't believe the name was ever meant to be a slur or negative title. Hail to!  If it stays the same fine, if it changes..fine, I'm still a fan of the team/organization regardless.

VoiceofReason posts were pretty spot on for how I feel about it, he verses things quite eloquently...adding what I said here.

Someone on my facebook feed suggested changing the logo to a potato, and that would prove that the term "redskin" wasn't offensive.  I am not sure if that is a proper analogy, but it did make me chuckle.

If the name does have to change, would it be acceptable to just shorten it to " 'Skins " ?  We all call them that 50% of the time anyway.  Keep everything else the same.

I've been a die hard REDSKINS fan for 30 years...changing the name would have an effect on me, unless it's changed to "Skins".

me being a Redskins fan has nothing to do with Washington DC or the beltway....I've lived in NYC most of my life.  

Changing the name to the Warriors would feel like we're an expansion team.

Archived