Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

Red Man is not a racial slur.  Neither is White Man or Black Man.  Try again...

Neither is Redskins, unless your contention is going to be that the nice people of Red Mesa Arizona decided to name their high school mascot a racial slur against themselves.

Likelihood: slim

press release

http://files.redskins.com/pdf/Statement-by-Bob-Raskopf-Trademark-Attorney-for-the-Washington-Redskins.pdf

"In today’s ruling, the Board’s Marc Bergsman agreed, concluding in his dissenting opinion: It is astounding that the petitioners did not submit any evidence regarding the Native American population during the relevant time frame, nor did they introduce any evidence or argument as towhat comprises a substantial composite of that population thereby leaving it to the majority to make petitioner’s case have some semblance of meaning."
Edited by AsburySkinsFan
  • Like 3

I still don't understand how this is sucha big deal.  its the name of a sports team.  Most Native Americans don't care either way. 

Majority of the people behind the "change the name" movement are tree hugging, composting, non-prescription glasses wearing, vegetarian white people.  Most of which probably don't even watch or care about football.  But #Redskinsracist is trending these days so all the hipsters are fighting the good fight.  :rolleyes:

Edited by Chew
  • Like 1

This is directed at nobody in particular, just a general musing; It never ceases to amaze me the amount of Redskins fans so readily willing to accept the agenda filled bigotry from the minority and concede defeat on OUR name (which should never be an issue to start with); or worse actually agree with the minority.

I find that both more frustrating, and in the latter case HIGHLY insulting; coming from fellow fans of our team.

Washington REDSKINS.

It's our identity. It's our heritage. It's our team. It's our NAME. Change the name, you lose a MASSIVE part of who we are and what we've achieved over the years.

Keep fighting and stonewalling Danny. Appeal thi latest B/S and make the minority agenda filled biggots, who are EVERY bit as racist as they claim our proud heritage is; rue every last cent they've spent on this legal disgrace.

Washington REDSKINS for EVER!

Hail.

No, that's not melodramatic at all.  Goodness gracious.  It is a football team, right?  It's not something more than that?  lol

So, if they changed the name and logo, you wouldn't claim the history of the franchise?  It will have been "lost" forever? Did you not watch the games, do you not still have fond memories of the glory days, the wins, the losses, going to games, the players, etc?  You were there, the history is the history, it's permanent, it's not going anywhere. 

As far as I'm concerned, it'd still be the same team, just a different look.  I live and die with every play of this franchise, but I refuse to blow my stack over what it's called. 

• Like 4

Let's just do what the North Dakota Fighting Sioux did... Drop the nickname. 

Drop Redskins and we will just be Washington. 

Except they're prohibited from having a new team name until next year, so it's not like they have much of a choice.

Neither is Redskins, unless your contention is going to be that the nice people of Red Mesa Arizona decided to name their high school mascot a racial slur against themselves.

Likelihood: slim

press release

http://files.redskins.com/pdf/Statement-by-Bob-Raskopf-Trademark-Attorney-for-the-Washington-Redskins.pdf

I applaud Red Mesa High School for doing what they think is best for them.  I think the best thing for the Redskins going into the future is to strongly consider changing the nickname and be pro-active doing it.

How is Warriors less offesnive than Redskins? That name too will have to change in time.

I don't hear anyone calling out the Golden State Warriors.

Edited by DM72
  • Like 1

No, that's not melodramatic at all.  Goodness gracious.  It is a football team, right?  It's not something more than that?  lol

So, if they changed the name and logo, you wouldn't claim the history of the franchise?  It will have been "lost" forever? Did you not watch the games, do you not still have fond memories of the glory days, the wins, the losses, going to games, the players, etc?  You were there, the history is the history, it's permanent, it's not going anywhere. 

As far as I'm concerned, it'd still be the same team, just a different look.  I live and die with every play of this franchise, but I refuse to blow my stack over what it's called.

exactly

how much of a fan were you in the first place if a name change will make you reconsider?

The following trademarks are currently in force, per the Trademark Electronic Search System at tmsearch.uspto.gov:

- figgas over niggas

- sluts

- the jew claw

- authentic redneck

I was going to write a warning at the beginning of my post to warn people that they might see some offensive language, but clearly these highly regarded names have already passed the scrutiny of the trademark office so they are squeeky clean.

I applaud Red Mesa High School for doing what they think is best for them. I think the best thing for the Redskins going into the future is to strongly consider changing the nickname and be pro-active doing it.

Oh no you don't, you said it was a racial slur. You offered zero qualifications nor disclaimers for that claim. Is it your stance that the Navajo at Red Mesa have willingly and knowingly adopted a mascot name that is to them and their people is a racial slur? Edited by AsburySkinsFan
  • Like 2

This really has nothing to do with modern-style political labeling.  It's really a battle between those with an eye to the future and those who wish to live in the past.   Times change, opinions change and countries change and some wish to change and adapt with them while others lack that will and sit sadly while the world passes them by.

So is PETA ahead of the times?  Are meat eaters living in the past?  You're point of view might be right if those wanting to keep the name were in the vast minority.  It's a perfect example of perfuming your own vanities, thinking that those who support the change are somehow messiahs of light, who have come to lead us ignorant majority to righteousness.

• Like 2

No, that's not melodramatic at all. Goodness gracious. It is a football team, right? It's not something more than that? lol

So, if they changed the name and logo, you wouldn't claim the history of the franchise? It will have been "lost" forever? Did you not watch the games, do you not still have fond memories of the glory days, the wins, the losses, going to games, the players, etc? You were there, the history is the history, it's permanent, it's not going anywhere.

As far as I'm concerned, it'd still be the same team, just a different look. I live and die with every play of this franchise, but I refuse to blow my stack over what it's called.

It's precisely the fact I've grown up a REDSKINS fan, knowing MY team by that name, through the glory years and the past two decades of utter garbage, great memory's and bad; that would change it all for me.

Something would be lost. Something massive. The REDSKINS are a major part of my sporting identity. Players change. Coaches change. Uniforms change. Stadiums change. But NOT your name. (Unless you do the unthinkable and up sticks to another State and rebrand.).

If you don't see the connection to everything we've stood for known by that name for the past 80 odd years then we apparently have a wholly different connection to this team.

Hail.

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven
  • Like 2

The Polish Hammer in his avatar is offensive as well.

As a child of the 60s/70s, I remember fondly the good old days when a good 'Pollock' joke was told every 3 minutes. Some of the best I heard were from actual, real live Pollocks!

This country has lost the ability to laugh at ourselves. The 'politically correct' have polarized everyone! Heck .. if Dan chooses to rename the team (which I oppose), as lifelong white guy, I would not be in the least offended by the "Washington Honkies." And I would bet that the name would not elicit the nonsense that the current name does. Mostly from PC, perpetually offended, uptight white people!

What's next? Are Irish Americans going to demand that the Notre Dame football program rename themselves? I mean how offensive it must be to them to portray all Irish as drunken barroom brawlers!

• Like 2

I don't buy the 'slippery slope' argument at all, though. Sure, "Chiefs" and "Braves" reference Native Americans...but those are names that have never been used as a racial slur. That's the big difference. 

#1, how are you possibly qualified to say this?

#2, of course they have been.

ANY word is a slur depending on how you use it. 

• Like 1

That would be called comedy.

1) The "How would you feel if they were called the Blackskins?" argument

Speaking as an African American (and I do NOT speak for all African Americans), I personally wouldnt mind the team being called the Blackskins/Brownskins. As long as the logo wasnt a picture of a "Watermelon & Fried  Chicken" or somethin derogatory.

• Like 1

Oh no you don't, you said it was a racial slur. You offered zero qualifications nor disclaimers for that claim. Is it your stance that the Navajo at Red Mesa have willingly and knowingly adopted a mascot name that is to them and their people a racial slur?

Native Americans and organizations opposed[edit]

The following groups have passed resolutions or issued statements regarding their opposition to the name of the Washington NFL team:

Tribes[edit]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_Redskins_name_controversy#Native_Americans_and_organizations_opposed

It is considered a racial slur by a sizable amount of Native Americans.  To assert otherwise seems unrealistic at best.

Somebody said if they are changing the Redskins name, what about this?

It caught me off guard lol 

10172863_815756665102731_486168034936680

LOL

But I don't know why Skins fans can't grasp that the team name is racist af, especially the black fans. As a black man I can say you all know good and well if there was a team called the Alabama Darkies cats would be ready to riot.

• Jumbo changed the title to The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)
  • Jumbo locked this topic
  • Jumbo unlocked this topic
  • Jumbo pinned this topic
  • Jumbo featured and unfeatured this topic
  • Jumbo locked and unlocked this topic
  • Jumbo locked and unpinned this topic