Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

Rev. Graylan Hagler:

"If you use that word about a group of people, you characterize them as less than human," Hagler told USA TODAY Sports. "You have stripped them of their humanity and taken away the likeness of God that is within all of us."

So we (Christians) can call sinners, well um sinners, heathens, etc., but I can't call my football team Redskins and honor Native Americans the way my team has been doing it for over 80 years?

Anyway, have you all noticed since we all started to suck again, we haven't heard jack about our name either. Usually it was hundreds of articles a week about the name. But now it's like only one a week...

Like I said, this whole thing was media driven. Once we start winning again, you will see this thing heat up. But until then the media is okay when it comes to offending the Native Americans because we they can get hits and ratings from something else.

Thanksgiving morning I was in the Jukebox Diner of Sterling, VA. The place was nearly empty so the music could be heard clearly through the house PA. A corny sounding, 1950s tune caught my attention when I recognized a lyric sample which was later employed by the Sugar Hill Gang; in their legendary track 'Apache' c. 1981. 

Once I heard the word "Redskin" I just had to bust out my google machine.

Check this out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0nHWAoIfxo

Not exactly a PC tune by today's standards, but I doubt any harm was intended given the world of 1960.

Edited by RFKFedEx

Toronto mayor Rob Ford was on with The Junkies of 106.7 this morning.

Here's his take on the team name.

* Ford repeated his comments from Wednesday about the Redskins name, recycling his “Cleveland Aboriginals” line. The name has “been around for years and years and years,” he said. The people who are offended “should have come out when the name was first initiated… How long have the Skins had the name for? How long have the Chiefs had the name for? How long have the Cleveland Indians had the name for? Years and years and years, and all of a sudden people have to come out now? I think everything’s fine and I’d just stick with the name.”

Obviously a ploy by the Junkies to discredit the pro- keep the name side by bringing in a moron who spews out the incorrect arguments. 

The only reason to bring that crackhead in for an interview is to discredit whichever side he agrees with.

This issue is more or less dead now, especially if the Junkies have to make a terrible, huge reach and obvious ploy like this just to get conversation going again.

Edited by elkabong82

For Immediate Release

December 12, 2013

STATEMENT BY THE WASHINGTON REDSKINS IN RESPONSE TO THE LEADERSHIP CONFERENCE ON CIVIL AND HUMAN RIGHTS:

“The Washington Redskins hold these civil rights leaders in high regard, but we respectfully believe they are mischaracterizing decades of honor and respect toward America's Indian heritage that our name represents for generations of Redskin fans and Native Americans alike.

We understand these leaders hold their views deeply, but so do hundreds and hundreds of Native Americans who have written to us expressing an opposite point of view.

· ‘I am 100% Native American from the Tsimshian Tribe [Alaska]. I back the REDSKINS with all my heart, soul and body... I as a Native American have never had any issues with the name. I have always believed that the Native Americans have lacked any sense of placement in the USA. But the Washington Redskins gives us so much happiness and pride and loyalty to our past.’

- Janine Palma VanDenBerg

· ‘As a LOYAL REDSKINS FAN for over 22 years, and as a NATIVE AMERICAN, I don't find the name offensive, I would find it offensive if you changed the name, you would be wiping out MY history.’

- Patricia Felt (Iroquois Tribe)

We believe it is important to listen to and respect all sides on this issue, and that includes also listening to and learning from Native Americans and countless Redskin fans who, for generations, believe our name represents the strength, character and pride of our Indian heritage."

figures no one gives a flying **** when this team is 3-10

Exactly.

That's been my major issue with this whole damn thing.  No one gives a **** now when the team is awful.

10-3 and solidifying a playoff berth with RG3 playing out of his mind and still selling the #1 jersey?  Completely different story.

• 4 weeks later...

It's not legally binding. In fact, Washington Redskins already is a registered trademark. But its also nothing new. Federal courts have ruled the name derogatory before, but the Redskins were able to prevail on procedurial grounds. Not sure this means much in the grand scheme of things.

That's always been the Silver Bullet for name change advocates. If they can cause the Redskins to lose trademark protection, the name is gone.

There's a lot of legal reasons why that would be a difficult legal victory - even after this decision.

Observing that I'm not 100% certain that losing the trademark guarantees a complete cessation of revenues.

But I'll admit that it's possible.

I think it's more that others can make money off of the trademark without owing a percentage to the Redskins.

So the Redskins will lose a substantial amount of money.

JM: I agree that the loss of exclusive marketing rights would be very damaging to the team’s finances in the short term. However, as described above, I cannot image a situation where that would be the end result. The common law use of the term REDSKINS has been too extensive and the common law rights are too strong. In addition, they have rights in other images that do not include the name REDSKINS (the Native American head design, the “R” design, etc.).

http://es.redskins.com/topic/365985-the-official-es-redskins-name-change-thread-all-things-related-to-changing-the-teams-name-go-here/

Edited by Spearfeather

That's always been the Silver Bullet for name change advocates. If they can cause the Redskins to lose trademark protection, the name is gone.

There's a lot of legal reasons why that would be a difficult legal victory - even after this decision.

I think this was tried in 1999.

Edit: Here it is. Rejected on the grounds it was filed too late.

A lawsuit was first filed in 1992. Among the plaintiffs is Suzan Shown Harjo of Washington, a Cheyenne/Hodulgee Muscogee and a longtime advocate for Native American rights.

The Redskins name and logo was adopted in 1933 when the team was based in Boston, Massachusetts, and had been known as the Braves. In a legal brief filed with the court, the team said the name was changed to honor the Redskins coach at the time, William Henry "Lone Star" Dietz, a Native American.

The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office granted a formal trademark in 1967, and it has been renewed several times since. The team has said it has spent "millions of dollars ... promoting, advertising, and protecting its mark."

A Patent Office appeals board in 1999 canceled the trademarks, but the Redskins successfully appealed in federal court.

The question for the courts was interpretation of a federal law that allows cancellation of a registration "at any time" if the trademark comprises "matter which may disparage ... persons, living or dead ... or bring them into contempt, or disrepute."

Also. An appeal failed.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/11/16/scotus.redskins/index.html?eref=igoogle_cnn

Edited by s0crates

D-Hall evidently supports a name change via bleacher reports.  This seems to be the beginning of the inner structure crumbling.  Once we have pressure to change the name from the inside of the organization as well as the outside, well that can only mean the beginning of the end of the name Redskins.

D-Hall evidently supports a name change via bleacher reports.  This seems to be the beginning of the inner structure crumbling.  Once we have pressure to change the name from the inside of the organization as well as the outside, well that can only mean the beginning of the end of the name Redskins.

Fundamentally, you are correct. Though I would think the "internal pressure" would need to come from someone a bit more prominent than Hall.

Hall is not part of the "internal structure".

He is a fleeting player with an opinion. Nothing more.

• Like 3

That's okay he won't be back next year

• Jumbo changed the title to The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)
  • Jumbo locked this topic
  • Jumbo unlocked this topic
  • Jumbo pinned this topic
  • Jumbo featured and unfeatured this topic
  • Jumbo locked and unlocked this topic
  • Jumbo locked and unpinned this topic