Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

Alaskins

I can see arguments for and against changing the name.  I get that it's becoming trendy for people to pile on.  In reality though I don't care what ______ political figure or interest group that wants the spotlight for a minute says.

You know what actually annoys me though?  It's hard to talk football now.  When I sit down at a cookout now, the conversation usually goes like this:

Guy at cookout: "So, what do you think about the Redskins this year?"

Me: "Well, I think RG3 is fully healthy and we surrounded him with good weapons, especially if Jordan Reed stays healthy."

Guy: "No, I mean what about the name?  Are they going to change it or what?"

its simple... don't support the team. You ARE a hypocrite if you support a team that has a name you find offensive.

I couldn't imagine supporting a team that has a name that I despise.

Its just  simple logic.

there are plenty of other teams. Dallas will welcome you with open arms.. Now go find another team and shut up...

its so simple. stop bugging the rest of us.

its simple... don't support the team. You ARE a hypocrite if you support a team that has a name you find offensive.

I couldn't imagine supporting a team that has a name that I despise.

Its just  simple logic.

there are plenty of other teams. Dallas will welcome you with open arms.. Now go find another team and shut up...

its so simple. stop bugging the rest of us.

Who exactly are you talking to?

In regards to the University of MN, how do they have any stance on not allowing the name in their stadium.  It's not a university event, its an NFL event using their venue that they agreed to let the Vikings use while their new stadium was being constructed.  Legally speaking, how do they have any jurisdiction on saying what can and cannot be used during an event not related to the university?

In regards to the University of MN, how do they have any stance on not allowing the name in their stadium. It's not a university event, its an NFL event using their venue that they agreed to let the Vikings use while their new stadium was being constructed. Legally speaking, how do they have any jurisdiction on saying what can and cannot be used during an event not related to the university?

Depends on the verbiage in the contract they signed. I write contracts for Mecklenburg County and have done facility use agreements. I'm 100% sure there was a contract drawn up. Either would be stupid not to have one for liability purposes.

I know i have said it over-and over-and over again:  but the more i read THIS thread, the more i become convinced the name cannot stand.   The longer i am away from this thread ---- the more the feeling fades, and i can just happily sit in my beat-up old redskins sweats.   

My advice to you then, is don't read this thread.  At all.  Ever.

...or explain what people are typing specifically that makes you so damn convinced the name cannot stand.  The name is either offensive to you or not offensive to you.  What I say and others who share my opinions say should have no bearing on the matter.

lots of people in this thread are very quick to assign bull**** motivations to other people. That is no way to win an argument.

the fact is that some people have become convinced that the name is offensive. Perhaps they didn't particularly think about it until recently? or perhaps they always vaguely felt that way- but never said much until it became more of a "topic of conversation"? or perhaps they have become convinced by the arguments of the anti-name people?

----it doesn't matter--- the simple fact is some people are convinced that the name is offensive.

Calling those people liars or whatever other names certainly isn't going to change minds.

I know i have said it over-and over-and over again: but the more i read THIS thread, the more i become convinced the name cannot stand. The longer i am away from this thread ---- the more the feeling fades, and i can just happily sit in my beat-up old redskins sweats.

You know what?...I'm calling bull**** on this.

There is no way in hell that pro-Name discussions are being held anywhere that are more intelligent and knowledgeable and present more information and facts than is done here in this thread. It seems though that you don't have the ability to absorb anything other than the random posts that upset your sensibilities.

The thimble-deep arguments and "analysis" that overwhelms the anti-Name side of the national debate is both suffocating and embarrassing. It's what makes me even more adamant to argue for and defend the name with facts, logic and TRUE analysis, the type that goes far beyond merely saying "If they are offended, then that should be enough." I could actually argue the anti-Name side a billion times better and more effectively than what's been done so far, that's how pathetic this whole debate has become.

lots of people in this thread are very quick to assign bull**** motivations to other people.   That is no way to win an argument.

the fact is that some people have become convinced that the name is offensive.   Perhaps they didn't particularly think about it until recently? or perhaps they always vaguely felt that way- but never said much until it became more of a "topic of conversation"?  or perhaps they have become convinced by the arguments of the anti-name people?  

----it doesn't matter--- the simple fact is some people are convinced that the name is offensive.

Calling those people liars or whatever other names certainly isn't going to change minds.  

mcsluggo, i have a few problems with your conclusions. 

first, you have a problem with the poll cuz its ten years old, "before this current ****storm erupted". the current ****storn should have no bearing on whether the name of an 80 year old franchise is offensive, as if people just realized that theres a team with this name. (one thats not on a reservation, btw).

thats just a point i dont get and a pet peeve of mine. i digress.

second, you believe 10% claiming offense is enough to require change. thats your opinion. but keep in mind when you stick to that number and keep saying that we are wrong to question anyones motives the the #1 reason given for changing the name by the name changers has been proven wrong. 

susan harjo has been banging this drum longer than anyone else. read her writings- and her reasoning for not believing the undeniable facts about the name- and then tell me not only that i cant question her or her motives and that we should change our name based a bunch of radicals misplaced anger and belief in a fairy tale.

I really like this title and graphic from one of Harjo's articles:  http://www.nativepeoples.com/Native-Peoples/Summer-1999/Chief-Offenders/

masc_header.gif

A couple quotes of hers:

When I was executive director of the National Congress of American Indians in the 1980s, I worked with lawyers to find a way to try to get rid of the disgusting name and disembodied head of the Washington team

I’m often asked if it’s OK to use “Indians” and other “less offensive” terms than the R-word as team names. My answer is no, it is not. There’s no such thing as a good stereotype.

We intend to change not only the Washington team’s name, but the names of other sports franchises that treat us as mascots or relics —as if we had died out as a people long ago.

To be perfectly honest, I don't really care whether anyone finds the name offensive.

Someone show me where any Redskins fan has used the team name to insult an American Indian then I might consider. Not this bull**** cop out "it was used this way then" or "this is the real meaning of the word". Show me a Redskins fan using the term Redskin like a KKK member would use the N word.

Until then, I don't care about your negative opinions of the team name.

I agree w/ mcsluggo. The vitriol and narrow-mindedness in this thread is a bit irksome.

Can you give an example of what you mean?

I believe this is the most informative, civil platform I've seen on the web, regardless of where you stand.

A couple quotes of hers:

When I was executive director of the National Congress of American Indians in the 1980s, I worked with lawyers to find a way to try to get rid of the disgusting name and disembodied head of the Washington team

I’m often asked if it’s OK to use “Indians” and other “less offensive” terms than the R-word as team names. My answer is no, it is not. There’s no such thing as a good stereotype.

We intend to change not only the Washington team’s name, but the names of other sports franchises that treat us as mascots or relics —as if we had died out as a people long ago.

]

Why we can't talk about the face of this movement, I don't know.

Someone show me where any Redskins fan has used the team name to insult an American Indian then I might consider. Not this bull**** cop out "it was used this way then" or "this is the real meaning of the word". Show me a Redskins fan using the term Redskin like a KKK member would use the N word.

Until then, I don't care about your negative opinions of the team name.

Does Harjo count?

"I have been fighting against the racist slurs in D.C. ever since my husband and I went to our first and last Washington football game in 1974, and the fans around us began touching and tugging our hair and using the R-word to tell their friends about us."

Read more: http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2014/06/washington-football-team-108213.html#ixzz39krvTln9

Does Harjo count?"I have been fighting against the racist slurs in D.C. ever since my husband and I went to our first and last Washington football game in 1974, and the fans around us began touching and tugging our hair and using the R-word to tell their friends about us."Read more: http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2014/06/washington-football-team-108213.html#ixzz39krvTln9

So this actually happened? Like, in real life?

If you take her word for it. I personally don't. I don't believe anything that comes from the lady that used to run Seeing Red Radio. Also, she wrote the article. Those are her words. It's worth the read. :)

I glanced it over. One of the highlights being that she states the Redskins are the tip of the iceberg. She hopes that by taking out the Redskins it will make other teams fall like dominoes.

Ah, so something happened to her once 40 years ago, and she's been pissed off ever since, not to mention having decided that the alleged actions of a few people 40 years ago are indicative of what the team stands for, what the name stands for, and what the fans stand for.

I'll bet she's a peach on a date.

~Bang

Archived