Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Guys I need recommendations on the next TV series I should start watching.

stoney26

4 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Finished Bly Manor. Absolute poetry.
Just heart-wrenching and beautiful. Amazing writing and acting. Whoever did this and Hill House is a name to follow. 

I thought Hill House was far superior, but I enjoyed Bly.  It’s a good ghost story with a lot of heart.  A good horror series in October is a beautiful thing.  

On 10/10/2020 at 10:56 AM, Warhead36 said:

Finished Season 2 of The Boys yesterday. Such a good show. If you're not watching it you're really missing out. The season finale was amazing in so many ways.

The Boys is great, I just finished season 2.  Excellent show.

Both seasons also have had some excellent “oh ****” movements, like when Kimiko just casually ripped that guys face off.  

On 10/1/2020 at 7:24 PM, Mr. Sinister said:

Coven (Season 3) was really good. I've always liked Angela Basset and Kathy Bates, and Sidibe was a nice Wildcard. Even though some actors characters didn't change all that much from Asylum, the new additions still made it fresh.

For Freak Show, there doesn't really seem to be an angle that really hooked me. It had potential,  but 

Hide contents

The house of a thousand corpse-ish clown killer getting offed so early and the Freak Grim reaper exiting stage left...

kinda dried things out for me. I'm on episode 10, and I'm just not all that interested anymore.

Coven and the surprise revival of that storyline was my favorite season of one of my favorite shows on TV. I love women’s empowerment themes and this had it big time. I’ve really enjoyed watching it with my daughter. 

I’ve always loved me some Angela Bassett...even if she won’t return my phone calls for some strange reason. 🙂She, Lynne Whitfield and Drew Barrymore we’re and are my big crushes. Basset and Barrymore have really aged well, assuming they don’t go too far with the plastic surgery. Lynne Whitfield however, SMDH.

On 9/12/2020 at 1:26 PM, Mr. Sinister said:

Overall it's not as bad as previous seasons when Andrew Lincoln was still on the show, but in certain scenes, it's still missing that "Top dog" character. 

I gave up on TWD years and years ago. It was around the time of the baseball bat episode. By that time the only thing keeping me going was the hope that Carl and his stupid hat would get it.

The stuff I’m really liking right now, in no particular order:

Detectorists - very well done, subtle, dry humor.

Dead to Me - It feels like a darker reimagined version of The Santa Clarita Diet which I also liked a lot. Anything with Drew Barrymore can’t be bad, right?

Mrs. Maisel

Another Life

Definitely digging Utopia too

• Thanks 1

Hotel is a bit better, but like GoT in certain moments,  the continuous sex scenes/pointless gore eventually start to turn you off.

I don't mind violence/nudity, but there comes a point for me when you gotta decide if you want to be an actual show, or something less. We are becoming far too reliant on unspeakable levels of gore and sex, and in many cases, it takes away from the quality of a show. Theres a reason why stuff like Hill House can be so superior with what amounts to a PG-13 rating.

It should always be about the story, and the actors and actresses who carry it. I'm just not moved by fleshy and gory ornaments anymore.

• Like 5

It honestly makes me feel stupid. Or makes me feel like the creators think I’m stupid. This what I need to have in order to be entertained? This is what you think I want? You don’t think I can follow a good story or good writing or good characters without excess sex, gore, or violence? 

its an insult 

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man
  • Like 1

On 10/12/2020 at 3:48 AM, Destino said:

I thought Hill House was far superior, but I enjoyed Bly.  It’s a good ghost story with a lot of heart.  A good horror series in October is a beautiful thing.  

I think Hill House and Bly House were both very well done for what they were attempting. I think Bly was supposed to be more tragic and sad than Hill. Both executed very well. My one complaint was how long the show focused on some of the characters who, ultimately, weren't all that significant. 

• Like 1

On 10/11/2020 at 9:08 PM, Redskins Reparations said:

This may not be for everyone but I have really enjoyed the first few episodes of The Man in the High Castle which is a fictional novel based on the Axis winning WWII written by Philip K. Dick.

The first three seasons are really good.

The last season was a letdown. Nowhere near GoT level, but I think they tried to tie it into too much with current events, and it didn't work for me.

9 hours ago, DCSaints_fan said:

The first three seasons are really good.

The last season was a letdown. Nowhere near GoT level, but I think they tried to tie it into too much with current events, and it didn't work for me.

I have heard from multiple people that the ending is a let down.  I am thinking about getting the book instead...funny how everyone uses the GoT ending as the measuring stick for series finales.

1 hour ago, Redskins Reparations said:

I have heard from multiple people that the ending is a let down.  I am thinking about getting the book instead...funny how everyone uses the GoT ending as the measuring stick for series finales.

Honestly,  the only finale that distinctly remember being universally praised, was Breaking Bad.

It's hard saying goodbye, and many shows go on longer than they should've and lose some of that magic.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Honestly,  the only finale that distinctly remember being universally praised, was Breaking Bad.

It's hard saying goodbye, and many shows go on longer than they should've and lose some of that magic.

The finale of The Shield was also fantastic.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

28 minutes ago, purbeast said:

The finale of The Shield was also fantastic.

The Wire had a pretty good finale. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Redskins Reparations said:

I think its still watchable, and their is sort of a WTF moment in the final season that I found enjoyable.  I think its worth watching despite this.  I never read the book so I can't say if its better, though it did get a Hugo award and was written by Phillip K. Dick (also wrote the stories behind Blade Runner and Total Recall).  I'm pretty sure the show goes way beyond the book 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Breaking Bad was phenomenal from start to finish and I think most fans were concerned that it would fail to meet expectations.

4 hours ago, DCSaints_fan said:

The Wire had a pretty good finale. 

I actually consider this to be my personal favorite series of all time!  I even enjoyed the docks season!

Also, the Sopranos was outstanding and I even enjoyed the finale after the following critique:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/filmschoolrejects.com/the-sopranos-ending-explained/%3famp

Edited by Redskins Reparations

Mad Men had a fantastic finale which was really difficult to do since the show wasn’t action packed with enemies or even foes to the point a plot thread could easily be resolved by killing them or something like most shows. 

It was just people living their life and determining where we leave them in their arcs, how far they’ve grown or not, do they find catharsis, happiness, respect, or love. 

it blew me away from the opening scene of the first episode to the final seconds. 

to be honest I didn’t like the final 5 minutes at first but I stayed up all night thinking about it and watched it a second time and realized how powerful it and perfect of an ending it was 

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man

Unsolved Mysteries season 2 is out today on Netflix.  Will be binging that as soon as I can find the time, the first season came out earlier this year and it was fantastic.

On 10/15/2020 at 6:57 PM, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Mad Men had a fantastic finale which was really difficult to do since the show wasn’t action packed with enemies or even foes to the point a plot thread could easily be resolved by killing them or something like most shows. 

It was just people living their life and determining where we leave them in their arcs, how far they’ve grown or not, do they find catharsis, happiness, respect, or love. 

it blew me away from the opening scene of the first episode to the final seconds. 

to be honest I didn’t like the final 5 minutes at first but I stayed up all night thinking about it and watched it a second time and realized how powerful it and perfect of an ending it was 

I loved Mad Men, I liked the ending too but...to your point, we left them in their arcs.  They ended it really well but I felt like it didn't HAVE to end.  I really wanted to see how those characters were going to tackle the 70s.  Don has his moment, he gets inspired to create one of the biggest ad campaigns of all time.  But what's that MEAN?!  Does Don stay on top in the 70s or does he become irrelevant?  

Does Joan kill it with her own company or does she keep doing blow and de-rail herself?

• Like 1