Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Guys I need recommendations on the next TV series I should start watching.

stoney26

1 hour ago, FanboyOf91 said:

Just give it back to the fans.

Star Trek: Axanar should have been funded years ago.

Axanar is the reason why fan productions were shut down.  The dick-bag behind it took the money he got from fans to start his own studio.  As much **** as I'll give CBS for their treatment of Star Trek, they had to shut down Axanar.

That said, copyright laws in this century are stupid and Star Trek should be Public Domain by now.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Califan007 said:

Watching that now on youtube...pretty good so far in the first episode.

Was coming in to post about this. Thought it started strong for a post apocalyptic future series through episode 2.  Im surprised its not on HBO proper and just on HBO max. Seemed like a pretty good prestige series with Ridley Scott being a producer and director of the first episode. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Die Hard said:

That show has been walking dead for about 3 seasons already. How can anyone still be watching that trash?

The last two seasons after the new showrunner took over have been really good. Season 6-8 were a disaster but 9-10 have been on par with some of the better parts of the first 5 seasons. 

It's not prestige drama or anything but for a comic book adaptation, it's been good to me and I'm happy to see it return to earlier form

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man

21 minutes ago, China said:

I don't get the fascination with zombies.

And that was precisely the reason why they hooked so many people in the beginning, including myself. They aren't exactly central to the plot. They are more of a setting/tool. Even the term "Walking Dead" is not in direct reference to them.

Edited by Mr. Sinister
  • Like 1

Yeah Treme is amazing.  Been a while since I watched it, might have to revisit it.

Watching the second season of The Boys and it feels like Watchmen is the show that The Boys wishes it was.  It's not a bad show, but it's so much clumsier and less impressive.  The Nazi girl in the new season is just pure cringe.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Started watching Netflix’s Away with Hillary Swank about a mission to Mars. First episode was pretty good. Only 9 more to go.

Really? It seems like Hallmark channel family schmooze stuff. I havent even made it through the entire first episode. It's just way too much "I love you sweetie""No I love you more, schnookums!" for one episode

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Yeah Treme is amazing.  Been a while since I watched it, might have to revisit it.

Watching the second season of The Boys and it feels like Watchmen is the show that The Boys wishes it was.  It's not a bad show, but it's so much clumsier and less impressive.  The Nazi girl in the new season is just pure cringe.

what were your thoughts on the Watchmen show? It’s in my backlog but haven’t had a chance to get to it 

2 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

what were your thoughts on the Watchmen show? It’s in my backlog but haven’t had a chance to get to it 

I thought it was outstanding.  Really really creative.  State of the art production levels and cinematography that is reminiscent of True Detective in quality.  It's really smart too.  Everything fits together in a very intricate way, it's shocking, but the moments of gore aren't really throwaway shock value moments with minimal consequences like they are in The Boys. 

If you're not a Watchmen lore fan, then the show will be bizarre upon first viewing.  But it's a fun and intriguing kind of confusion that encourages you to immerse yourself in their world.  It's also pretty bizarre watching it now after the protest movements of the summer sprang up across the country.  The current political context adds to the topsy turvy feel of the show.  I recommend it for sure.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I thought it was outstanding.  Really really creative.  State of the art production levels and cinematography that is reminiscent of True Detective in quality.  It's really smart too.  Everything fits together in a very intricate way, it's shocking, but the moments of gore aren't really throwaway shock value moments with minimal consequences like they are in The Boys. 

If you're not a Watchmen lore fan, then the show will be bizarre upon first viewing.  But it's a fun and intriguing kind of confusion that encourages you to immerse yourself in their world.  It's also pretty bizarre watching it now after the protest movements of the summer sprang up across the country.  The current political context adds to the topsy turvy feel of the show.  I recommend it for sure.

I love the movie but that’s about the extent of my knowledge of watchmen. And while the movie is flawed, I very much enjoy it for the fresh creative concept of it, the ideas and themes that are explored, the world that exists and how the unique characters are challenged and what each scenario means. It’s alternate reality take on superhero’s is just fascinating and engaging as hell even if all of these things are not executed as well as they could be. 

9 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I love the movie but that’s about the extent of my knowledge of watchmen. And while the movie is flawed, I very much enjoy it for the fresh creative concept of it, the ideas and themes that are explored, the world that exists and how the unique characters are challenged and what each scenario means. It’s alternate reality take on superhero’s is just fascinating and engaging as hell even if all of these things are not executed as well as they could be. 

If you liked the movie, then you'll really like the show.  It's a much better executed story within that world, and as far as I can tell, it doesn't violate continuity with the film.  I am not a Zach Snyder fan and I only saw the movie once and did not enjoy it, so I wouldn't have cared if they had.  TBH the movie kind of cooled my interest in the show initially, but I watched it anyway because I trusted HBO to do a better job with the material.  I don't usually love alternate histories either, but Alan Moore created a really smart one, so it's a great foundation for a really skilled story-teller like Lindeloff to work with.

I'd put it next on your watch list if I were you.  You won't regret it.

• Like 2

Not sure if this has come up yet as I don't follow this thread closely but if you liked sons of anarchy I think you'll like Yellowstone. 

Its basically s.o.a. but with cowboys and horses instead of bikers and outlaws.

My wife and I were watching episode 4 making the comparisons (which there are plenty) and then episode 5 starts with deputy hale from sons of anarchy as a cowboy, that gave us a chuckle. 

Anyway, we are enjoying this show so far.

18 hours ago, Springfield said:

I gave up after Rick died, so I may end up finishing TWD now they have a definite end. It’s probably gonna suck a lot though.

Overall it's not as bad as previous seasons when Andrew Lincoln was still on the show, but in certain scenes, it's still missing that "Top dog" character.