Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Guys I need recommendations on the next TV series I should start watching.

stoney26

Definitely Sons of Anarchy... I am hooked and spent most of the last 4 days watching... I am almost done with season 2 and its great.

Brace yourself because Season 3 is pretty slow but it really picks up toward the end and has probably my favorite finale of any season. Well, maybe tied for favorite because the end of Season 1 was excellent too. I love the show though.

My second recommendation for this thread: the British television show Doctor Who. You have to be introduced to it a certain way, but as long as that happens, you're probably going to love it more than damn near any other show you've ever watched. It's officially taken over my personal award for Favorite Show Ever. Anyway, about that whole "introduced to it a certain way" thing, here are the things you should know if you want to start watching it:

1. Understand that because this is a show that's been running in a sort of "on-again, off-again" style for 50 freakin' years, there will be plenty of little things that won't make any sense to you when you first encounter them ("Why do people speak modern English when the Doctor time travels to the 15th century in Italy?" "Why doesn't he just use that time traveling thing to correct every bad thing that's ever happened to him?"), but trust me, there is an explanation, it's just that the explanations might take you a while to discover, and that's just going to be part of how you experience the show.

2. The humor is very British. If you don't know what that means, start watching more British television, dumbass. You'll thank me later.

3. If you pick any random episode to start watching Who, you might be so confused that you'll write the whole thing off because so many things aren't explained. (This has happened to at least one of my friends who otherwise loves British TV.) So I would suggest that you start with an episode called The Eleventh Hour, then follow that up with an episode called A Christmas Carol, even though those episodes weren't aired in chronological order. The first is to start you down the path that was created when current lead writer Steven Moffat took over the show, which coincides with an obvious expansion of the budget for the show. Before that moment, DW was significantly more campy and cheesy, at least in my opinion (and in the online opinions of quite a few others). That doesn't mean that it was bad (I've watched quite a few of the earlier episodes myself), it just means it wasn't as good as it's been since Moffat and Matt Smith took over. Who's Matt Smith? He's the latest Doctor, because a show that's been running for 50 years needs a lot of them. Yes, this is explained within the ongoing plot of the show. Think James Bond (which, coincidentally, enjoyed its 50th anniversary last year), but with a plot device that explains why Bond isn't always the same person. No, I'm not going to explain it for you. The reason I recommend that you watch A Christmas Carol second is because Who has a tradition of doing special episodes that air on Christmas Day that are intended for a wider audience than its normal viewers, and so once you're introduced to some of the basics of the show by watching a character named Amy be introduced to those same basics for the first time in The Eleventh Hour, the next thing you should do is be introduced to some of the best ways DW makes use of its own plot devices, which is what watching A Christmas Carol will accomplish. (The Christmas specials have been widely regarded as some of the Who team's best work, especially since Moffat and Smith took over.)

4. Don't use Google very much to figure things out about a particular episode until after you've watched said episode, because too much of it is all intertwined, and therefore you're causing your own spoilers. (I say "very much" because if something is so confusing that you're not enjoying the show, that's probably something you should try to figure out, even if it results in the occasional spoiler. That's the only time I'd suggest it, though.)

5. Don't blink. Don't even blink. Blink and you're dead. You'll eventually understand why I'm saying this.

Edited by Hubbs

I take it the new Dr is good?

I need to catch up most of the last decade :silly:

Don't like Michael Smith that much (latest doctor), but really liked David Tenant (sp) Doctor right before him. Mind you, I am probably a season or two behind so Smith and the writers may have gotten a hang of what they wanted to do with him better.

Don't like Michael Smith that much (latest doctor), but really liked David Tenant (sp) Doctor right before him. Mind you, I am probably a season or two behind so Smith and the writers may have gotten a hang of what they wanted to do with him better.

Yes, I should probably have mentioned that there's a big divide in the Who fan community between the Tennant lovers and the Smith lovers (and also the lovers of one of the older Doctors), but I think part of that might be because many of the Tennant lovers haven't paid as much attention to the Smith episodes (and justifiably so, because they loved Tennant so much and hated to see him go). As someone who's watched enough of both to understand why the Tennant folks loved him so much, I think I can safely say that if you give Smith and Moffat enough of a chance, they'll drop a nuclear bomb of awesome on your brain. The massive story arcs that are spread over entire seasons (the Brits call seasons "series" by the way, which can make it a little confusing to see things like "series premiere" or "series finale" when you know the show's gonna keep going) and even multiple seasons are just incredible. I know that was done with Tennant too, but I just happen to think that it works even better with the Smith/Moffat combo, partially due to the larger budget I mentioned in the last post and partially due to the fact that I think they've really managed to do something that I previously thought was pretty much impossible, which is creating something that can draw everyone in for different reasons, especially the most important combination of people, which is those of different generations.

(By the way, I don't want to write out any spoilers, but for you Tennant folks, Moffat is the same guy who wrote the "blink and you're dead" episode, so that might give you a small indication of his talents.)

Edited by Hubbs

Yeah, I will say that Tom Baker is still my favorite "Who" but that's cause I grew up with him. I think I saw the first season/two seasons of Michael Smith and I liked the red head (his companion) much better than him just in terms of acting. Smith seemed to be really going for the idea that it was a kid's series and playing down to the children while Tenant seemed a much richer character. Again, I'm behind in the series and they aren't showing them anymore on rabbit ear tv (for a while they were on in the morning on 26-2) so I don't know how he evolved.

I was annoyed when they got rid of the red head though!

Edited by Burgold

I just started watching Shameless about a week or two ago. I'm already mid-way through season 2. This show is pretty awesome, quite hilarious in fact. I def recommend it to you all.

Season finale tonight....love this show! The writers must have a good time coming up with some of these story lines.

I tried watching Shameless when it came out.

I watched few episodes mostly for Emmy Rossum, but also to see how the show was, but couldn't get into it at all.

Just couldn't relate with the characters and honestly didn't find it very interesting, just weird and kind of sad.

My parents love Duck Dynasty.

I don't really care for it, but I do check it out on occasion and find it fairly humorous.

Edited by visionary

Yeah, I will say that Tom Baker is still my favorite "Who" but that's cause I grew up with him. I think I saw the first season/two seasons of Michael Smith and I liked the red head (his companion) much better than him just in terms of acting. Smith seemed to be really going for the idea that it was a kid's series and playing down to the children while Tenant seemed a much richer character. Again, I'm behind in the series and they aren't showing them anymore on rabbit ear tv (for a while they were on in the morning on 26-2) so I don't know how he evolved.

Yeah, but her story was what vaulted the show from "really good" to "best on television" in my mind, although I think you'd more or less have to watch every episode to really understand why. It's worth it if you've got the time/money, though, at least I would assume it is for anyone who's already enjoyed the show.

Smith and Moffat both really buy into the "kid's show" angle, but they do it in the style of most Pixar movies—the stuff for kids is woven together with concepts and jokes for adults. This has been really highlighted in the Christmas specials.

It's only 2 eps in, but I'm really digging Orphan Black...and that one scene in the first episode..wow.

---------- Post added April-10th-2013 at 02:45 PM ----------

and for the love of god, it's MATT (not Michael) Smith.

For that, you will be deleted.

10.jpg

And he's better than Eccleston but not as good as Tennant (but really, who is?).

The new companion (who I really wanted to hate) might even be better than Rose Tyler (the best companion ever other than Sarah Jane Smith- in my books) when all is said and done.

Edited by The Evil Genius

A couple great series that haven't been mentioned yet but are worth watching: Rome, battlestar gallactica.

I highly recommend deadwood and firefly.

Game of thrones is the best show currently airing imo. The Americans is pretty good as well. Walking dead isn't bad, but it gets boring for episodes at a time.

• Thumb up 1

• 3 weeks later...
Vikings is really good. definitely recommend that

~Bang

I agree...absolutely awesome, and the history behind it makes you go digging, which only makes more of that grey matter.

If you're into serious drama, (haven't read through the thread lately), go for The Shield. I've never been so riveted to anything in my life, and I miss it...the last episode is a cliffhanger!

For me, Tom Baker will always be my favorite. I started watching Dr. Who in the early 80's PBS. I was really happy when the show came back in 2005.

BBC America is doing a monthly special on each of the actors who played Dr. Who, including Paul Mcgann who stared in the 1996 Dr Who TV movie. Tonight is the premiere of the Tom Baker episode and since he is the oldest doctor alive; will be great to see this special.

They are also doing a 50th anniversary special but it looks like only David Tennant and Billie Piper will be in it and not anyone from the original series. Also, there's another special on the making of the show and they got actors portraying the original actors.

I like Matt Smith. Matt Smith is probably only doing one more season. Maybe the next Doctor will be a woman.

Here's how I rank the Doctors.

1. Doctor 4: 74-81- Tom Baker. The best doctor. If he wasn't so good; I doubt Dr. Who would've lasted beyond the 70's.

2. Doctor 10: 05-10- David Tennant. The best doctor of the revived series, second best overall. I think if he failed, the new series would've failed.

3. Doctor 11: 10- ???- Matt Smith. The current doctor. He brings good dose of youthful enthusiam to the show. The Amy-Rory era were some of the best ever.

4. Doctor 5: 81-84- Peter Davidson. The previous youngest actor to play Dr Who. I got to met him last year. He was the right guy to take over from Tom Baker. Did you know his daughter is married to David Tennant.

5. Doctor 3- 70-74- Jon Pertwee. I liked him. He brought a touch of class to the show and also action.

6. Doctor 9- 2005- Christopher Eccleston . He was the first doctor in the revival of the show. I thought he did a good job.

7. Doctor 7- 86-89- Sylvestor Mccoy- The last doctor of the original series. He was alright.

8. Doctor 6- 84-86- Colin Baker- The only actor to be fired from the show. He always seem a little angry and a jerk to me. Probably why he got fired.

9. Doctor 8- 1996- Paul Mcgann- Fox aired a TV movie in 1996 in an attempt to bring the show to the U.S. It failed but he was alright.

10. Doctor 2- 66-69- Patrick Troughton - I haven't seen to many of his episode but I always thought he was too wimpy.

11. Doctor 1- 63-69- William Hartnell- The first doctor was old and cranky and mean, in what little I've seen.

---------- Post added April-28th-2013 at 04:37 PM ----------

Defiance on SyFy is quite good.

It's a little weird but the 2 episodes they have aired were pretty good.

Speaking of British SCi Fi; if you remember the British show Blakes 7; Sy- Fy has orded a season of a new remake of the show.

Edited by Rdskns2000

It's by no means a new show but Mad Men is intriguing (just started watching it a month ago). Solid acting and decent recreation of the 50s and 60s in all its glory as well as its shortcomings. Enjoyable also if you like the sales world since it focusses on that world as well.