Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Guys I need recommendations on the next TV series I should start watching.

stoney26

@Mr. Sinister I'm finally getting around to watching Black Sails.  I'm almost done with Season 4 and I'll say I really enjoyed the series up until this season.  I feel like they've recycled a little too many ideas from Spartacus, but it is there wheelhouse.  My main issue is they wrote very intricate plots (a little to reliant on the betrayal twist, but still gripping), but I feel like they lost that intricacy in Season 4 and started trying to shoe-horn in ideas that didn't flow logically and naturally.  Key figures behaving out of character.  Acting conflicted when they wouldn't really be, etc.  And I also think that the show was stronger when it was centered around Flint and Rackham.  Toby Stephens is a strong and compelling actor and he carries a show better than the others, and Rackham's arc was great.  But I also recognize that they've wanted to grow Silver into the main character all series in order to catch you up to where Treasure Island begins.

I love Treasure Island by the way.  This series was a lot of fun for me.

Favorite moments of the series are the rough sailing scenes and the naval combat.  When they flee Hornigold by sailing into that hurricane, I was on the edge of my seat.  That and the engagement with the Urca de Lima were the most thrilling moments for me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KAOSkins said:

I like the actress in Revenge.  Surprised she hasn't been in more stuff since then.  It's cheesy fun a la Dallas.

She's Sharon Carter in the MCU & believe she'll reprise that role in the Falcon & Winter Soldier series on Disney's streaming service.

Oh & a nice **** you :) to DC for making Titans a weekly show so I can't binge watch it all at once. Especially after the way S2E2 that dropped today ended. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KAOSkins said:

I like the actress in Revenge.  Surprised she hasn't been in more stuff since then.  It's cheesy fun a la Dallas.

Emily Van Camp is on The Resident, she's the lead actress, not the lead. She's good, she was on an episode of Law and Order SVU. I agree she needs more exposure. She just married her co-star from Revenge who played Daniel Grayson. 

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

@Mr. Sinister I'm finally getting around to watching Black Sails....

Agreed with everything you posted. S4 def felt a bit subdued and dry. Overall, I still enjoyed it. I thought every chatacter on the show was very well acted fpr the most part.

I think the Charleston sequence was probably my favorite moment. So close, yet so far away.

Wish they'd do another show like that, but maybe built around Blackbeard and his descent into madness (sort of like a pyrate Breaking Bad), or Henry Morgan.

Or actually continue Black Sails, doing their own interpretation of Treasure Island. Couldve sworn there were rumours that Showtime was thinking about a one time only miniseries. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bang said:

an old series, but i've been happily binging "Supernatural" on Netflix.

they sure don't just tease you with the monsters.

~Bang

Supernatural is awesome.   One of the best shows out there imo.

4 hours ago, TK said:

Oh ****!  The Ranch is back on Netflix :) 

I'm almost finished with this season.  Show is gold.

10 hours ago, Bang said:

an old series, but i've been happily binging "Supernatural" on Netflix.

they sure don't just tease you with the monsters.

~Bang

I love that show.  I’ve seen every minute of it.  It’s not a great show but it’s entertaining, and does a great job of keeping things light enough despite the dark material.  

Scooby Doo episode is great.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Destino said:

I love that show.  I’ve seen every minute of it.  It’s not a great show but it’s entertaining, and does a great job of keeping things light enough despite the dark material.  

Scooby Doo episode is great.

Yeah, that is what i'm getting,, it can get good and creepy, and it can sometimes be downright scary. Some good effects for regular broadcast TV.

A few plot holes, but eh, part of the fun is overlooking them.

I don't want any spoilers except THIS..

This is not going to be one of those shows that gets cancelled before solving the underlying mystery, is it? Do we get resolution>? (Whatever killed their mom and the one guy's girlfriend)

Yes or no is all i need.

~Bang

4 hours ago, Bang said:

Yeah, that is what i'm getting,, it can get good and creepy, and it can sometimes be downright scary. Some good effects for regular broadcast TV.

This is not going to be one of those shows that gets cancelled before solving the underlying mystery, is it? Do we get resolution>? (Whatever killed their mom and the one guy's girlfriend)

Yes or no is all i need.

~Bang

Show is not going to get cancelled pre-maturely.  It’s planned to end after the next season, which will be season 15.

Yes, there is resolution for that.  

• Like 1

I watched the pilot and ensuing ep about 6-7 years ago. Seemed real interesting. Just enough camp to keep things entertaining, and enough serious material to keep it all balanced iirc.

@Bang, if youre interested, Haven is a similar show (I caught it on Netflix a couple years ago. Might still be there). Based off of a Stephen King novel, and basically follows the same blueprint.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

Show is not going to get cancelled pre-maturely.  It’s planned to end after the next season, which will be season 15.

Yes, there is resolution for that.  

I get this feeling that they will revisit Supernatural at some point in the future, after the series ends next year. 

i had no idea it was still running.

Cool! Good to find a show i can watch for a while.

My wife doesn't dig this sort of thing, but she loves cop and courtroom shows.

We picked up on "Justified" recently. Good show.

I do like Timothy Olyphant.

~Bang

Edited by Bang
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Bang said:

Yes or no is all i need.

~Bang

We're talking about Supernatural with Sam and Dean Winchester correct?  If so, canceled is the last thing you need to worry about.  The final season begins this year (yes the show is still on the air) and it's their 15th season.  They resolve their underlying mystery, then create an entirely new big problem and solve that one as well.  They do this several times. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bang said:

i had no idea it was still running.

Cool! Good to find a show i can watch for a while.

My wife doesn't dig this sort of thing, but she loves cop and courtroom shows.

We picked up on "Justified" recently. Good show.

I do like Timothy Olyphant.

~Bang

He and Walton Goggins are terrific together.  I love that show.  it does get a little goofy at the end.

43 minutes ago, Destino said:

We're talking about Supernatural with Sam and Dean Winchester correct?  If so, canceled is the last thing you need to worry about.  The final season begins this year (yes the show is still on the air) and it's their 15th season.  They resolve their underlying mystery, then create an entirely new big problem and solve that one as well.  They do this several times. 

Correct, and thanks! Good to know

~Bang

1 hour ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Twin Peaks might be one of the strangest shows I've ever watched. I have absolutely no earthly clue what's happening, even though I know what's happening. That perfectly encapsulates it in all it's weirdness

LOL, my man!  I feel the same way.  Like WTF is going on, but you know what's going on.

8 hours ago, TK said:

Finished it this morning. That cliff hanger ending 😱

Bruh!!!!

Image result for what the fuck animated gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1