Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Guys I need recommendations on the next TV series I should start watching.

stoney26

On 8/14/2019 at 10:16 AM, StillUnknown said:

I liked Wu Assassins far more than i thought i might. It has its holes and the plot is pretty damn silly, but i enjoyed it anyway

Wouldnt mind hearing the soundtrack, the music in the show was great

The writing was garbage and the acting at times was too, I'm not even sure the story made any sense at all, but enjoyed the hell out of it.  I want more whatever this this is.  Urban Kung Fu fantasy?  No one ran across the tree tops, or water, though so I’m not sure.  Whatever it is.  More.  

Every so often, there comes a show that wasn't on your personal radar, but when you stumble upon it, you're glad you did. Like Ozark for example. :) So, while we're still waiting for the next season of that one, allow me to get you hooked on Pennyworth. 

• Like 2

It was definitely entertaining and pretty good to start out, but kind of fell off a lot the last season or two.  (True Blood)

3 hours ago, TK said:

Every so often, there comes a show that wasn't on your personal radar, but when you stumble upon it, you're glad you did. Like Ozark for example. :) So, while we're still waiting for the next season of that one, allow me to get you hooked on Pennyworth. 

Watched the first episode on prime and it's pretty good so far.  I like it better than Gotham which apparently the creators were involved with. (although Gotham did have some interesting characters and it was fun for a while, despite being dumb a lot of time)

Edited by visionary

3 hours ago, Nerm said:

Anyone have thoughts about the old HBO show True Blood?  I have loved HBO several HBO shows, but I have not watched that one, even though the genre is one that I would typically like.

I agree with visionary.  I think the first 3 seasons or so were really good but after that...meh.  

13 hours ago, TK said:

Well you just went ahead and totally hijacked my Sunday.

17 hours ago, Nerm said:

Anyone have thoughts about the old HBO show True Blood?  I have loved HBO several HBO shows, but I have not watched that one, even though the genre is one that I would typically like.

My wife told me it was kind of soap opera like. She recommended that I shouldn't watch it even though she enjoyed it. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Cooked Crack said:

Hopefully it's a gritty anime He-Man no one asked for.

When I was in college we used to play a drinking game to He-Man.  Every time they said "He-man" you had to take a drink.  Which wasn't bad until he changes from Prince Adam to He-man, and they say it about six times in 30 seconds.  :806:

Oh, and just because...

Edited by China
  • Haha 1

Finished Wu Assassins this past weekend.  It kind of fizzled out towards the end IMO.  It was pretty damn anti-climatic and I was kind of like "thats it?" when it was over.  

They clearly set it up for a second season.

All in all though it was a fun show still and I enjoyed it.  And damn is most of the acting really bad lol.

Got about 20 minutes into the series premiere of The Fabulous Gemstones and turned it off. I love John Goodman, but the other two guys have the same tired schtick every show they're in and the whole thing was just too predictably over the top stupid, as much as I would love to see televangelists being made fun of.

I also watched the first episode of Our Boys, and it was well done. I may follow through on that one.

3 hours ago, Riggo-toni said:

Got about 20 minutes into the series premiere of The Fabulous Gemstones and turned it off. I love John Goodman, but the other two guys have the same tired schtick every show they're in and the whole thing was just too predictably over the top stupid, as much as I would love to see televangelists being made fun of.

I also watched the first episode of Our Boys, and it was well done. I may follow through on that one.

To each their own, but I could watch Danny McBride do damn near anything.  I thought it setup to be pretty damn good.

On August 20, 2019 at 6:10 PM, visionary said:

Off topic (my apologies) but I used to play D&D in the mid 80s.  This past week, I was asking my wife and 2 daughters if they wanted to play.  Apparently, D&D has had a resurgence since Stranger Things.  So, I downloaded the free "Basic Rules" from the website, to get a refresher on what I would need to do as a dungeon master to run the game.  After reading about 50 pages, I am thinking there is no way I could do it competently.  The basic rules were more complex than most of the textbooks that I read in graduate school.  So, I told my family that we shouldn't play.  

It is probably for the best though.  People said I was a dork for playing way back then.  I would hate to see my kids become social rejects for not just playing D&D, but playing it with their parents.  I suspect there is no defense for that among their pre teen peers.

31 minutes ago, Nerm said:

Off topic (my apologies) but I used to play D&D in the mid 80s.  This past week, I was asking my wife and 2 daughters if they wanted to play.  Apparently, D&D has had a resurgence since Stranger Things.  So, I downloaded the free "Basic Rules" from the website, to get a refresher on what I would need to do as a dungeon master to run the game.  After reading about 50 pages, I am thinking there is no way I could do it competently.  The basic rules were more complex than most of the textbooks that I read in graduate school.  So, I told my family that we shouldn't play.  

It is probably for the best though.  People said I was a dork for playing way back then.  I would hate to see my kids become social rejects for not just playing D&D, but playing it with their parents.  I suspect there is no defense for that among their pre teen peers.

D&D (and roleplaying in general) is pretty popular these days with lots of live stream games on twitch and youtube, podcasts, conventions/massive live-shows, comic books and some animated shows in production and a lot of celebrities have been getting into it.  I notice it tends to draw a lot of voice actors from cartoons, anime, and video games, and some other actors in general because it lets them act out their own characters how they want or try out new voices or roles.  Not sure how it goes over with kids though (since I don't really talk to kids much, lol), but I see a lot of parents saying that their kids watch livestreams with them (of other people playing) (even if the content is fairly adult at times in my opinion) and there are a few children oriented d&d podcasts or shows out there too, though I haven't paid much attention to them.  

I haven't actually played D&D myself, though I did run a pathfinder (based on an earlier D&D version with perhaps more variety but maybe more complicated lol) campaign with my family for a bunch of sessions a year ago or so.  I notice that a lot of people when they run D&D with friends or with their kids tend to be a lot looser with the rules and focus on the role-playing story-telling and having fun.

Edited by visionary
  • Like 2

On 8/18/2019 at 6:40 PM, StillUnknown said:

3 episodes into the new season of Mindhunter and its a damn strong start. They may have something with this show

Just finished the last episode of season 2 last night.  Awesome show and love it but really thought this season was going to be about BTK.  They teased him all the time but never got stuck in.  Cant wait for season 3 !