Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Guys I need recommendations on the next TV series I should start watching.

stoney26

Grace and Frankie on Netflix is ****ing hysterical.  Started watching it with my girlfriend, I didn't think I'd be into it but we've gotten through the first two seasons this past week.

John and Sol (Martin Sheen and Sam Watterson) are two lawyers that own their own firm.  They are married to Grace and Frankie (Jane Fonda and Lilly Tomlin).  John and Grace are preppy and upscale types, Sol and Frankie are hippies.  Each couple has been married about 40 years.  Grace and Frankie only tolerate each other because their husbands are in business together but they don't like each other.  

Turns out, John and Sol are more that co-owners of a law firm, they're lovers and they've been cheating on Grace and Frankie with each other for 20 years.  Now in their 70s, they want to leave their wives to be together.  Grace and Frankie end up living in a house together and it's ****ing hysterical.  Lilly Tomlin is great, Jane Fonda is surprisingly funny too.  It's a very clever show, their kids are all funny too, especially Baron Vaughn.  It deals with a lot of stuff that single people in their 70s would deal with and there are a some serious moments but they're quickly offset by something hilarious.  

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Fear City, NY vs. the Mafia is LEGIT.  It's on Netflix.

If you like Mafia stuff, 70s/80s NYC, undercover stuff...this is as good as it gets.  My only gripe is that it's only 3 episodes, an hour each.  

Saw that pop up last night and my first instinct was to buy some popcorn for tonight to watch it all the way through... Love that stuff!

• Like 1

On 7/23/2020 at 11:06 PM, Spaceman Spiff said:

Fear City, NY vs. the Mafia is LEGIT.  It's on Netflix.

If you like Mafia stuff, 70s/80s NYC, undercover stuff...this is as good as it gets.  My only gripe is that it's only 3 episodes, an hour each.  

Started it last night. Good stuff for sure.

1 hour ago, purbeast said:

No chance I will ever watch Hamilton.  As soon as I heard it was a musical I was out.

And it looks like something out of history class?

I thought exactly the same thing. Just another learn your lesson in three hours and leave the theater a better man type polemical snooze fest. No way it could possibly live up to even a fraction of the hype. They ‘aint getting a dime of my money.

Then it came out on Disney+ and I watched it thinking  I’d probably end up switching to something else before long.

Afterwards when I picked my jaw up off the floor and changed my fully soaked Depends I watched it a second time.

Soon I’ll give it a third go.

— Just my experience, ymmv.

Edited by TrancesWithWolves
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, TrancesWithWolves said:

I thought exactly the same thing. Just another learn your lesson in three hours and leave the theater a better man type polemical snooze fest. No way it could possibly live up to even a fraction of the hype. They ‘aint getting a dime of my money.

Then it came out on Disney+ and I watched it thinking  I’d probably end up switching to something else before long.

Afterwards when I picked my jaw up off the floor and changed my fully soaked Depends I watched it a second time.

Soon I’ll give it a third go.

— Just my experience, ymmv.

You're an old fart so that is why you liked it.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, purbeast said:

You're an old fart so that is why you liked it.

Fart yes but old? If you say so. lol

Based on the tenor and depth of your eloquent response, I think you’re right: Hamilton, is something that you definitely wouldn’t receive any benefit from viewing.

(BTW the soaked Depends line was a joke.)

Edited by TrancesWithWolves

I get why people would be turned off by it at first. I just think everyone should give it a chance. It’s really engaging in the story that it tells that just happens to be through songs whether that is through rap battles, jazz, ballads or others. The way they pull everything together from one song to the next telling a cohesive and in depth plot with the choreography and staging just left me in awe at the level of creativity it would take to come up with this and execute it so perfectly. It really is stunning. 

and if anyone cares to learn a little more about rhe American Revolution and founding of the country, this delivers there too

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man

I don't like musicals. I don't like classics like Grease or any of that other dumbass stuff. I don't like Cats. I don't even like the movie Dirty Dancing.

I'm telling you. If you like history or like hip hop then Hamilton is for you. Doubly so if you like both history and hip hop. I watched Hamilton on Disney + and watched it at least 2 more times and listened to the soundtrack countless times. This is all since it came out a few weeks ago. It's ****ing amazing. I didn't see what all the buzz was about because I hate musicals but ****, this is one of the best produced, well rounded pieces of entertainment that I've watched of all time.

Give it a shot. Sit through the first hour or so and watch it. It tells a great story about the beginnings of America with a fresh and hip twist.

• Like 2